HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2012 4.0

View Poll Results: Who would you rather?
Johnny Quick 38 40.86%
Henry Lundquist 55 59.14%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
We'd better hope so...

More likely is that the longer this plays out, the more emotions/pressure involved & with sharks circling, up go the odds that MB pulls the trigger on his own Gomez-esque blunder.

Watch us become the first team in history to trade away 2 elite top-pairing dmen in a short timeframe, with nothing but heartbreak to show for it.

MB is creating his own Waterloo with each passing day

Come on, stop this melodramatic stuff...

Old
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Dharvey33

We have the choice to sign Subban and i sure damn hope we sign him. Only similar player we have in the system is Beaulieu and hes at least 2 years from being ready.

We are screwed without pk but if the stars came and offered Benn it would be hard to refuse getting a big winger that can play center.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I don't think this is really resting on Bergevin. It seems to have alot more to do with Subban at this point.

Now, take it with a grain of salt, but
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/355208.html

Apparently Meehan has told Subban to sign a bridge deal, but he wants to get paid top dollar right now.

If that is true, Meehan has been around a long time, and has made life for GMs hell over the years, if he's agreeing with the bridge contract position, than this is looking more and more like Subban becoming the bigger part of the problem than a new GM who doesn't want to cause massive cap issues next year and beyond.
? That reads like Carbonneau making a bad deduction? There is really nothing there, silly of RDS to even put that up. MDZ opted to play. Meehan is not going to counsel his client to leave tens of millions of dollars on the table. Agents want their long-term guaranteed cuts too. And Meehan also wants to set the table for Pietrangelo's deal, so that it becomes Subban's + $xM, and his agency gets their cut of even more tens of millions. Carbonneau sounds clueless, and RDS is silly, is about all that link shows?

Old
01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Subban for Yakupov straight up would be a lateral trade for Montreal and an upgrade for Edmonton.

They just lost 6-3 to Vancouver, they are desperate for a Subban-type player.
They are desparate for a goalie, they already have a Subban-type player.

If we trade Subban, which I'm not totaly against if the return is good, it better be for a good young d-man.

Would Colorado trade Johnson ??

Old
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I don't think this is really resting on Bergevin. It seems to have alot more to do with Subban at this point.

Now, take it with a grain of salt, but
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/355208.html

Apparently Meehan has told Subban to sign a bridge deal, but he wants to get paid top dollar right now.

If that is true, Meehan has been around a long time, and has made life for GMs hell over the years, if he's agreeing with the bridge contract position, than this is looking more and more like Subban becoming the bigger part of the problem than a new GM who doesn't want to cause massive cap issues next year and beyond.
very interesting... doesn't at all fit Meehan's m.o, and Carbo obviously has the kind of connection to the franchise that it wouldn't be so out of reach that he's speculating in favor of the habs.

but if that's true, you'd have to wonder why Meehan would take this stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
You're talking like subban has already been traded for trash.
no, just that the situation is turning ugly and the longer it takes, the higher the odds of it turning out poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post

Come on, stop this melodramatic stuff...
funny, I recall similar comments about the Gomez trade.

it's hockey, so it really is no big deal anyways, we've had 2 decades of mediocre hockey, another decade of it won't change much.

but if you're implying that for the franchise to lose and asset of Subban's quality without getting equal or superior SURE value (picks/prospects are far less "safe" than a 23 year old who has excelled in his first 2 seaons and has steadily improved since being drafted), is NOT a big problem for a franchise trying to get better... then I guess we just disagree.

Last edited by Miller Time: 01-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

If we trade Subban, which I'm not totaly against if the return is good, it better be for a good young d-man.

Johnson's not close to Subban.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'd take Johnson for Subban if the Avalanche sweetens the pot.

How about Paul Statsny + Erik Johnson?

Old
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yes he is... Johnson is a good young defenceman. Maybe not as flamboyant as Subban, but good enough to be Top 2 in the future.

Quote:

Statsny has too big a contract and we don't need another 2nd line center. I prefer their 1st round draft pick.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Stastny makes too much money, he has little to no value and would screw up our cap for next year.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
very interesting... doesn't at all fit Meehan's m.o, and Carbo obviously has the kind of connection to the franchise that it wouldn't be so out of reach that he's speculating in favor of the habs.

but if that's true, you'd have to wonder why Meehan would take this stance?
Wait a sec. Carbo has said a number of times on RDS he still doesn't know why he was let go yet he has inside info on the Bergevin - Meehan - Subban negotiations.

Also I translate

l’agent de Subban Don Meehan aurait conseillé à son client d’accepter l’offre de contrat de deux ans du Canadien.

as

Subban's agent would have advised his client

not as

Subban's agent has advised

So basically Carbo is speculating - just like the rest of us.

Last edited by onice: 01-24-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
odishabs

we have pillars at every position

forward: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk.

defense: Subban

goalie: Price

take subban out of that equation and it gets thin, very quick.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:27 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:

O'Byrne + Johnson for Subban + Weber

Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
O'Byrne + Johnson for Subban + Weber
That's not bad.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:18 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
we have pillars at every position

forward: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk.

defense: Subban

goalie: Price

take subban out of that equation and it gets thin, very quick.
What? We are pretty deep at D even without Subban playing. Emelin and Diaz have been stepping up big time and our PP hasn't looked better.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
? That reads like Carbonneau making a bad deduction? There is really nothing there, silly of RDS to even put that up. MDZ opted to play. Meehan is not going to counsel his client to leave tens of millions of dollars on the table. Agents want their long-term guaranteed cuts too. And Meehan also wants to set the table for Pietrangelo's deal, so that it becomes Subban's + $xM, and his agency gets their cut of even more tens of millions. Carbonneau sounds clueless, and RDS is silly, is about all that link shows?
I think it plays to the agent trying to help his client work on his image. If he can shake some of the flak he gets as being selfish, I am sure Meehan can score him some bigger endorsement deals.

it is a theory just like the rest. But at least one that seems a little bit closer to being realistic. Unlike some of the tripe we've seen on these boards

Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

If we were to trade Subban, I would like the Habs to try and get someone like Brendan Smith in Detroit, or Ryan Murray in Columbus, with their 1st of course...

And Miller Time, about the melodramatic stuff, it was just a bit too much to my liking, we all know Subban might become a superstar in the NHL, but at the same time, while our team would obviously benefit greatly from having him in the lineup, the team is actually doing pretty well without him right now, I wonder what kind of impact he would have on team chemistry if he comes back... anyway, he's not the 2nd coming, and people act as if we couldn't get something good back if we trade him...

Old
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
TYLENOL

All i want is the habs to trade KABERLE for a 7th round pick when we sign Subban, but is Kaberle even worth that?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
shutehinside

Lecavalier: 2013 Edition!!!

I thought I'd kick start the annual Vinny thread.

I thought I'd go with the "what if" Vinny is bought out by Tampa and can be had for a significant discount. Say $4M a year or so.

I'm thinking even though he may have lost a step, playing in a different location might motivate him, be a big body centre and can help mentor Galchenyuk on how to be a #1 centre.

Thoughts?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
poetryinmotion

The annual Lecavalier thread quota has now been filled.

But yeah, no.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

I thought I'd go with the "what if" Vinny is bought out by Tampa and can be had for a significant discount. Say $4M a year or so.

I'm thinking even though he may have lost a step, playing in a different location might motivate him, be a big body centre and can help mentor Galchenyuk on how to be a #1 centre.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't mind signing Vinny if Tampa Bay does buy him out at the end of the year. If it were to happen I would give him 3-4 years at 5 million a year and then I would trade Desharnais for that rugged defenseman we've been looking for since Lucic destroyed Komisarek. With Eller, Plekanec and Lecavalier, we'd have one of the deepest team down the middle.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Thoughts?
I don't think TB has the cash flow to buy him out.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Yes he is... Johnson is a good young defenceman. Maybe not as flamboyant as Subban, but good enough to be Top 2 in the future.
"Yes he is"? Why even bother contradicting me with that? I mean, he's not as good as Subban. He's older than Subban. He hasn't proven to be nearly as valuable. But, you disagree (based on what? his draft position?) and contradict me with 'yes he is'. Compelling stuff.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think TB has the cash flow to buy him out.
I think they do but they'll choose not to buy him out.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I think they do but they'll choose not to buy him out.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy him out rather than pay him for the next 18 years, though?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:

Edmonton already has many defence prospects in their system,Khabibulin and Dubnyk gives them good if not great goaltending.The Oilers are pretty much set to go for the future with a player of MPS's abilities plying his trade yet in the AHL,don't expect any big trades out of them.Johnson hasn't lived up to the fans expectations but then most of Colorado's team wasn't last year,Duschene is the key there and he's playing great after his stint in Europe during the Lockout.Subban isn't going anywhere fast he's got lots to learn from Markov about leading a team to the Elite.

Closed Thread