HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Will Look to Move Ben Bishop

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Bishop to Edmonton for ANA 2nd rounder and a 5th

do it Tambo
This seems fair.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Per Bob McKenzie tonight

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...195438&lang=en

-Says that attempts to trade Ben Bishop have become "convoluted" due to the hold-up on the Luongo trade, that it's "kinda gumming up the works for everybody on the goalie trade market"
-says Robin Lehner's demotion to the AHL is what they've done "for now"
-says that Ottawa knows long-term that they want Anderson and Lehner in goal
-suggests Edmonton would like another goalie to supplement Devan Dubnyk and that Calgary could be looking for an upgrade at the back-up position
-says there is a market but it's not fully formed and that he expects Bishop to be traded in the future

Seeing as Ottawa traded a 2nd round pick for Bishop, I think they'd be looking for that as a minimum, but even more likely would be a defenceman.

Provided everyone stays healthy, I could see something like Theo Peckham (and maybe a pick) for Bishop on Edmonton's side. Gives Ottawa a physical stay-at-home defenceman with a ton of grit for the third pairing. I think Peckham is a lot better than most Oiler fans give him credit for, though I'm not sure what his cache is around the league.

Not sure who Calgary would be offering up. I would think they'd like to move out a defenceman, but who? Giordano, Butler, Brodie and Wideman seem to be the building blocks going forward, Corey Sarich just re-signed last summer, which would leave Jay Bouwmeester, Anton Babchuk and Derek Smith as the odd mean out and I can't imagine Ottawa having much interest in any of them.
I am not usually one for the "friend of a friend told me such and such" but, a good friend of mine with some ties to the Flames told me they were looking at him, and it involved moving Chris Butler..FWIW.

I see Bobby Mac already knew this last night, I was told this during the day yesterday before this was breaking so maybe there is something to what I was told then.

Interesting. I wouldn't mind picking him up at all.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
We don't want Anaheim's 2nd. They're actually good.
Oh man, I misread that. Thought it was Edmonton's 2nd rounder. Back to the drawing board.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Stanton?
If you're looking for a consistent, stay at home guy that can play on the lower end of a defense corps, with leadership, size, and physical play -- which is what I keep reading in this thread -- Stanton can do that right now. He's been Rockford's best defenseman for two years.

If you want more, there's Brookbank, and you could even take a flyer on Montador.

Too much more than that for an unproven goaltender like Bishop and I think Chicago should just walk away. He's not worth Hjalmarsson, especially considering how well Hjalmarsson is playing right now.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Starpainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Omark has no value whatsoever. My 10-year old has more value than he does.
Your 10 year old

for

3rd round pick

Starpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Asset management. They'll easily get more than what they traded away for him, making Murray look like a genius.
Really? He's done nothing since being acquired except he's gotten a year older... I doubt they get more then was given up.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Ashasx

How about Chris Butler for Bishop.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Really? He's done nothing since being acquired except he's gotten a year older... I doubt they get more then was given up.
Maybe Bishop hasn't got any better, but the value of a goalie has (arguably) gone up since then.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
We don't want Anaheim's 2nd. They're actually good.
pfft...you realize they're trading Getzlaf and Perry this year PLUS the Oilers are getting better and they BARELY finished ahead of us last year

c'mon, one place in the draft order isn't THAT much...we're throwing in a 5th rounder

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

You guys do realize any team that wants a goalie just has to wait until the off-season to grab Michal Neuvirth or Braden Holtby, right?

One of them will be replaced with a veteran.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
You guys do realize any team that wants a goalie just has to wait until the off-season to grab Michal Neuvirth or Braden Holtby, right?

One of them will be replaced with a veteran.
And in the meantime while these teams circle the drain?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Bishop for Franson or Kostka?
Why would the leafs do this???I would'nt even trade Mark Frasher for Ben bishop

Last edited by IBLEAF: 01-24-2013 at 10:58 AM.
IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
And in the meantime while these teams circle the drain?
They're not going anywhere now, they might as well try out some young guys and get a higher draft pick.

The only realistic teams trying to pick up Ben Bishop are Calgary. Edmonton isn't going to piss away Dubnyk for Bishop if they can get Luongo. Phoenix needs more pieces than a goaltender.

Calgary is the only one that is a competitor in my mind. Florida has Markstrom, Columbus Bobrovsky. Calgary is not a playoff team.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
They're not going anywhere now, they might as well try out some young guys and get a higher draft pick.
Yeah, that mentality doesn't really apply to real GMs I don't think - especially this early in a season.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
What the hell has Ben Bishop ever done to warrant a Cody Franson.

Come on now.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Yeah, that mentality doesn't really apply to real GMs I don't think - especially this early in a season.
Look at what I just posted.

It's pointless getting Ben Bishop if you can ride a shortened season and possibly get a franchise goaltender in Holtby or Neuvirth. Plus any team that is trying to fill a goaltender hole and is close to the playoffs is going for Luongo.

Toronto is another mention but in my mind they would be better waiting. Especially now with Lupul's concerns, they can't really afford to plug in a young goaltender and slaughter his career.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:

It's pointless getting Ben Bishop if you can ride a shortened season and possibly get a franchise goaltender in Holtby or Neuvirth. Plus any team that is trying to fill a goaltender hole and is close to the playoffs is going for Luongo.

Toronto is another mention but in my mind they would be better waiting. Especially now with Lupul's concerns, they can't really afford to plug in a young goaltender and slaughter his career.

So Bishop is just another scrub but Holtby and Neuvirth are potential franchise goalies?

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I'm assuming Calgary has no interest in Luongo... so I don't see why that would "gum up" any trades between Calgary and Ottawa for Bishop.

Makes sense, Calgary needs a backup. Ottawa probably prefers to trade out of conference.
The Flames have two of the hottest goalies in the AHL playing on their farm team. If they're that worried about their backup position I don't understand why they just don't sign one of them.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
So Bishop is just another scrub but Holtby and Neuvirth are potential franchise goalies?
Have you watched them play? What has Bishop done, if anything? He's played how many games again?

Holtby at his best is lights out and could be a future top 5 goaltender. Neuvirth is almost Varlamov level. He's at least played a half a season in the NHL. Holtby has had huge playoff success.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:

Huh!!!! James Riemer is 24 and Ben scrivens is 25,put together those 2 dont even have 2 full seasons

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
Huh!!!! James Riemer is 24 and Ben scrivens is 25,put together those 2 dont even have 2 full seasons
I meant another young goaltender, they are already slaughtering those guys' careers

They need a vet and to build Reimer/Schrivens/Someone else

Old
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
The Leafs aren't going to go after Ben Bishop.

Team has played excellent defense, they are so far giving up very few shots, I can count the number of scoring chances teams have gotten with my finger.

Reimer/Scrivens will remain the co-starters IMO. Healthy competition usually brings out the best in any player...hopefully they can keep it going.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
I meant another young goaltender, they are already slaughtering those guys' careers

They need a vet and to build Reimer/Schrivens/Someone else
.931 goaltending...Leafs playing fantastic defense and they rank top 5 in fewest shots allowed, and GAA.

Small sample size of course but the Leafs are astronomically better on defense under Carlyle this year.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
The Leafs aren't going to go after Ben Bishop.

Team has played excellent defense, they are so far giving up very few shots, I can count the number of scoring chances teams have gotten with my finger.

Reimer/Scrivens will remain the co-starters IMO. Healthy competition usually brings out the best in any player...hopefully they can keep it going.
I was just trying to appeal to some people here

I really think the only team that really "wants" him is Calgary. Edmonton I would think would go after Luongo or just wait until FA. Columbus seems happy with their netminders for now.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
.931 goaltending...Leafs playing fantastic defense and they rank top 5 in fewest shots allowed, and GAA.

Small sample size of course but the Leafs are astronomically better on defense under Carlyle this year.
Two/three games lol.

Like I said, they might switch netminders eventually but they've got other holes to fill right now.