HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #15 - Power failure at Super Bowl (Literally)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

Jerry Rice was never a deep threat.

But the fact remains he has blasted Trestman.
Is Randy Moss a deep threat? Moss averaged over 16 yards per catch 4 times in his career, Jerry Rice did it 5 times. Randy Moss' career high was 19 yards per game (rookie year), Jerry Rice's was 20.4 (1986).

Old
01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Two WR's from Trestmans past have come out and blasted him.

One being the greatest WR of all time.

If Trestman was so great, it wouldnt have taken now to get the poor guy a HC gig.
Quote:
Rice knocked Trestman a while back in a article.
I know the article you mention. That was 1998 when Rice was mad at him for not being that #1 with TO like he was before and that he had to do more blocking and make catches that will end up with him being hit.

Last edited by DaveG: 01-23-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
madgoat33

he needs something to occupy his time since leddy is playing well

Old
01-23-2013, 04:46 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post

Old
01-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Is Randy Moss a deep threat? Moss averaged over 16 yards per catch 4 times in his career, Jerry Rice did it 5 times. Randy Moss' career high was 19 yards per game (rookie year), Jerry Rice's was 20.4 (1986).
Define deep threat?

Jerry Rice was money after the catch, he was never somebody who was a speed guy, as his 40 was timed at 4.6. Randy Moss was a deep threat on account of his speed and ability to catch the ball over his shoulder. Rice used his intelligence and ability to read defenses instead of pure speed. I didnt see Jerry Rice just blow away defensive backs with his average speed, but again, I actually seen Jerry Rice play.

I wont even mention how Yards per catch has no bearing on being a deep threat and is just a statsitic that has no way, shape or form a barometer on annointing somebody a "deep threat" when it is more alligned with yards after a catch, something Rice was possibly the best ever at attaining.YPC is an irrelevant stat.

So again, tell me how Jerry Rice was a deep threat when Rice himself stated he never considered himself a deep threat and didnt want to be pigeon holed such a claim and instead wanted to be known as the best all round wide out in the game.

I mean, if Jerry Rices says so......

Old
01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Seau's family is filing a wrongful death suit against the NFL.

This is nothing against Seau but I have a problem with this. Seau was an NFL player, he chose to play in the NFL and he knew the risks of playing there. He I am willing to bet several times lied to doctors about his own health to continue playing, everything that happened to him in his career was a result of his own choice.

Now his family is suing the NFL because he suffered brain damage? Yes he did, because he choose to play in the NFL, if you don't want to possibly suffer a head injury don't play in what is the most violent sport on the planet, go be an accountant.

Fact is these players know the risks and are willing to take them for the reward of fame and $ they'd never see elsewhere. You can't go suing the league after the fact. You knew what you where doing and the risks involved.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Seau's family is filing a wrongful death suit against the NFL.

This is nothing against Seau but I have a problem with this. Seau was an NFL player, he chose to play in the NFL and he knew the risks of playing there. He I am willing to bet several times lied to doctors about his own health to continue playing, everything that happened to him in his career was a result of his own choice.

Now his family is suing the NFL because he suffered brain damage? Yes he did, because he choose to play in the NFL, if you don't want to possibly suffer a head injury don't play in what is the most violent sport on the planet, go be an accountant.

Fact is these players know the risks and are willing to take them for the reward of fame and $ they'd never see elsewhere. You can't go suing the league after the fact. You knew what you where doing and the risks involved.
While they are at it, they might as well sue the manufacturer of the gun he used to kill himself.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

These ninja edits are awesome.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Define deep threat?

Jerry Rice was money after the catch, he was never somebody who was a speed guy, as his 40 was timed at 4.6. Randy Moss was a deep threat on account of his speed and ability to catch the ball over his shoulder. Rice used his intelligence and ability to read defenses instead of pure speed. I didnt see Jerry Rice just blow away defensive backs with his average speed, but again, I actually seen Jerry Rice play.

I wont even mention how Yards per catch has no bearing on being a deep threat and is just a statsitic that has no way, shape or form a barometer on annointing somebody a "deep threat" when it is more alligned with yards after a catch, something Rice was possibly the best ever at attaining.YPC is an irrelevant stat.

So again, tell me how Jerry Rice was a deep threat when Rice himself stated he never considered himself a deep threat and didnt want to be pigeon holed such a claim and instead wanted to be known as the best all round wide out in the game.

I mean, if Jerry Rices says so......
For your own link

The main problem was how Trestman used Rice, as a possession receiver, an inexplicable tactic for one of the NFL's top deep threats. Trestman's explanation was the 49ers' running game was suspect, and he needed Rice for first downs in what had become a possession offense.

Last edited by DisgruntledHawkFan: 01-23-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
For your own link dumbass

The main problem was how Trestman used Rice, as a possession receiver, an inexplicable tactic for one of the NFL's top deep threats. Trestman's explanation was the 49ers' running game was suspect, and he needed Rice for first downs in what had become a possession offense.
Why do you even bother with him?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
I like.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
For your own link

And that means what, actually?

Because its on the interent it has to be true when anybody who has actually played the game will tell you Rice wasnt a deep threat? The opinion of a sports writer is now considered something more then opinion when Jerry Rice himself has stated he didnt consider himself a deep threat?

It says on the internet that the world has been infiltrated by shape shifting aliens. Is that also true?

Old
01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
And that means what, actually?

Because its on the interent it has to be true when anybody who has actually played the game will tell you Rice wasnt a deep threat? The opinion of a sports writer is now considered something more then opinion when Jerry Rice himself has stated he didnt consider himself a deep threat?

It says on the internet that the world has been infiltrated by shape shifting aliens. Is that also true?
Things on the internet matter, except when they go against your point, then they don't. Go it.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Apparently Revis is on the trade block, and the Jets want at least a 1st rounder for him. I thought he was under contract for a while, but apparently his deal will be voided after the 2013 season, making him a FA. Odd timing to put him on the block, coming off ACL surgery and all. Obviously it's not a surgery that is career threatening anymore like it may have been viewed years ago... But you still never know how he'll respond, and then you're not guaranteed to have him beyond 2013.

Don't expect the Bears to go after him. I don't really see anyone towards the end of the draft that would make a trade for him, and I wouldn't give up a top 20 pick and then some for him.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Apparently Revis is on the trade block, and the Jets want at least a 1st rounder for him. I thought he was under contract for a while, but apparently his deal will be voided after the 2013 season, making him a FA. Odd timing to put him on the block, coming off ACL surgery and all. Obviously it's not a surgery that is career threatening anymore like it may have been viewed years ago... But you still never know how he'll respond, and then you're not guaranteed to have him beyond 2013.

Don't expect the Bears to go after him. I don't really see anyone towards the end of the draft that would make a trade for him, and I wouldn't give up a top 20 pick and then some for him.
I could see the Patriots making that trade

Old
01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
If they decide they'll take a 2nd, it becomes interesting.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post

Revis has long history of holding out and generally being pain in the Jets ###

Honestly there secondary was ok without him and I think the Jets are just looking to end there relationship with him

+ If he is healthy at camp he would probably just hold out like he always does

Old
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Sarava

You can't bring him in coming off that major knee surgery and him wanting like $15 mil per year. Pass.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:25 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Honestly there secondary was ok without him and I think the Jets are just looking to end there relationship with him

Ya know, I find your posts much more agreeable since the avy change.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I could see the Patriots making that trade
Don't see the Jets dealing him to NE, but if I'm the Pats and they are, I'm all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
If they decide they'll take a 2nd, it becomes interesting.
Problem is, they want a first round pick AND MORE. Don't see a 2nd happening, unless it's paired with another future 2nd or a couple 3rds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You can't bring him in coming off that major knee surgery and him wanting like $15 mil per year. Pass.
Next year he only gets $6M. 3M base and 3M roster bonus, then FA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

How much of that is because they were 26th against the run? Honest question, I didn't watch much of the Jets this year.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Not to mention the Bears are fine at starting CB

Old
01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Ya know, I find your posts much more agreeable since the avy change.
You are onto something there.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Tillman and Jennings will be Free Agents next year. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Emery takes a CB at #20 this year if this player will be BPA

Old
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Tillman and Jennings will be Free Agents next year. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Emery takes a CB at #20 this year if this player will be BPA
After next season, not next year. I think you'll see Tillman get an extension.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

isn't next year after next season?
this year would be before next season, or am I wrong?

Closed Thread