HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
  #251
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,815
vCash: 500
Hopefully Monahan falls into our laps. What a fantasy for Ottawa hockey fans to have Prince, Ceci and Monahan all play for the Sens. Seems like a great year for forwards, though we probably need D.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
  #252
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Monahan is so solid defensively we could skate 4 F and 1 D!!!

Rhino Reilly is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
  #253
Yokai
Registered User
 
Yokai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,804
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
There you have it, folks. Head scout DJB says Domi stinks so it must be true!!!! I'll alert the head scouts of each NHL team and make sure none of them draft him.


In reality, Domi is actually an unreal player. He's small but he's built like a house. He weighed in at 197 at the HHTP game. Dude is so strong on his skates, has incredible vision and a real good shot. I'd be thrilled to end up with Max Domi.
I heard he stinks though.

Yokai is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
  #254
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Curtis Lazar.

The guy is destined for greatness. What an awesome name.
When he scores, we could play the "Lazar Diamond" commercial.

playasRus is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
  #255
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,282
vCash: 500
I know this is kind of looking ahead a bit, and we may even have prospects yet to shine...but is there any chance that we move up in the draft this year to try and grab one of Lindholm or Monahan (this is under the assumption that we finish too high to initially draft them)?

I'm just wondering because Spezza isn't getting younger, and while Turris has looked nice he doesn't seem to be on the same level as a Spezza type talent.

Both Lindholm and Monahan, in my opinion, project to be that solid #1 center type that we can rely on. Plus they're both special players in their own way (biased towards Monahan, but mostly because I've seen a lot more of him and he plays for Ottawa).

Curtinho is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
  #256
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I know this is kind of looking ahead a bit, and we may even have prospects yet to shine...but is there any chance that we move up in the draft this year to try and grab one of Lindholm or Monahan (this is under the assumption that we finish too high to initially draft them)?

I'm just wondering because Spezza isn't getting younger, and while Turris has looked nice he doesn't seem to be on the same level as a Spezza type talent.

Both Lindholm and Monahan, in my opinion, project to be that solid #1 center type that we can rely on. Plus they're both special players in their own way (biased towards Monahan, but mostly because I've seen a lot more of him and he plays for Ottawa).
All depends really. I agree with you, I think Lindholm and Monohan are great talents, both easily with top line potential. It seems to me that Ottawa's scouts always seem to have a diamond in the rough pick, and have a guy ranked in there top 10-15 that are not universally thought to go that high. I wouldn't be surprised if we have someone like that ahead of some of the guys in the top 10, and will sit on our pick to grab them.

Pilgore88 is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
  #257
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
All depends really. I agree with you, I think Lindholm and Monohan are great talents, both easily with top line potential. It seems to me that Ottawa's scouts always seem to have a diamond in the rough pick, and have a guy ranked in there top 10-15 that are not universally thought to go that high. I wouldn't be surprised if we have someone like that ahead of some of the guys in the top 10, and will sit on our pick to grab them.
That wouldn't surprise me either. Even someone like Shinkaruk or Lazar...guys that have shown the potential to be something big but might not be quite on the cusp yet.

As long as we don't draft Domi I'll be happy haha.

Curtinho is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:10 PM
  #258
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
That wouldn't surprise me either. Even someone like Shinkaruk or Lazar...guys that have shown the potential to be something big but might not be quite on the cusp yet.

As long as we don't draft Domi I'll be happy haha.
Domi has look really good everytime I've seen him.

Shinkaruj is rated really high, at this point he's in the top prospect NYC this year. Who knows he could do something that makes him soar yet.

BK201 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:46 AM
  #259
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
@ Xspyrit.

Im not sure why you wasted your time typing all that out. I haven't seen anyone suggest we 'tank'. All I've seen is people saying they won't be angry about missing the playoffs and ending up with a top 10 pick because of the depth of the draft. No one is advocating tanking and assuming we'll get a superman franchise player by doing so.
Hey, I took the time to say "I'm not targeting anyone as I haven't even read this thread."

And it's not like the point about tanking was the only one in that post, lot of information, observations and opinions too

Xspyrit is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:35 PM
  #260
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
There you have it, folks. Head scout DJB says Domi stinks so it must be true!!!! I'll alert the head scouts of each NHL team and make sure none of them draft him.


In reality, Domi is actually an unreal player. He's small but he's built like a house. He weighed in at 197 at the HHTP game. Dude is so strong on his skates, has incredible vision and a real good shot. I'd be thrilled to end up with Max Domi.
I'm merely stating my opinion on the kid, not sure the sarcasm was neccessary. But to each their own I suppose.

DJB is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
  #261
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,282
vCash: 500
I'm in the camp of going nowhere near Domi.

Curtinho is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
  #262
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,282
vCash: 500
I'm liking Ristolainen, Zadorov and Nurse depending on where we land, and maybe throwing a late round pick to Alex Forsberg. I know the guy has taken a complete nosedive in rankings and has had some serious issues this season...but there is probably still some potential there that we may be able to provide adequate development for.

Curtinho is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
  #263
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight
 
SevenOfSpades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I'm liking Ristolainen, Zadorov and Nurse depending on where we land, and maybe throwing a late round pick to Alex Forsberg. I know the guy has taken a complete nosedive in rankings and has had some serious issues this season...but there is probably still some potential there that we may be able to provide adequate development for.
I agree. There's a lot of talk about how draft risers are better than sinkers, but I would love to have a Couturier, Frk, Fowler, Grigorenko, Forsberg if the price is right.

SevenOfSpades is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 12:40 PM
  #264
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I know this is kind of looking ahead a bit, and we may even have prospects yet to shine...but is there any chance that we move up in the draft this year to try and grab one of Lindholm or Monahan (this is under the assumption that we finish too high to initially draft them)?

I'm just wondering because Spezza isn't getting younger, and while Turris has looked nice he doesn't seem to be on the same level as a Spezza type talent.

Both Lindholm and Monahan, in my opinion, project to be that solid #1 center type that we can rely on. Plus they're both special players in their own way (biased towards Monahan, but mostly because I've seen a lot more of him and he plays for Ottawa).
I would disagree with the bolded part, I think Turris is very much looking like a 1st line centre & he is only 23 yrs old. I remember when Spezza was that young & what Martin used to say about him especially defensively while Turris plays an excellent two way game. Turris may never have an 84 pt season but he certainly seems to have top line potential & should be in his prime just when Spezza starts to regress due to age.

I like Monahan if we can move up to get him or Nurse but I think Mantha & Ristolainen should be right around where Ottawa picks.

aragorn is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
  #265
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would disagree with the bolded part, I think Turris is very much looking like a 1st line centre & he is only 23 yrs old. I remember when Spezza was that young & what Martin used to say about him especially defensively while Turris plays an excellent two way game. Turris may never have an 84 pt season but he certainly seems to have top line potential & should be in his prime just when Spezza starts to regress due to age.

I like Monahan if we can move up to get him or Nurse but I think Mantha & Ristolainen should be right around where Ottawa picks.
The oldest Spezza was when Martin was coach was 20

Pilgore88 is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 03:30 PM
  #266
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,282
vCash: 500
Granted Turris has looked a lot better this year and he might be tapping into the talent most people thought he had when he was drafted -- it's still hard for me to project him to be on Spezza's level at any point.

Curtinho is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
  #267
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Whos the closest to Mike Richards in this years draft class? Mike Richards is seriously elite and I would love to have drafted Landeskog (Swedish Mike Richards).

Mike Richards!

BrawlFan is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
  #268
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,831
vCash: 50
Mike Richards is not elite. Hes not the same player from 3 or 4 years ago.

Benny FTW is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  #269
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Whos the closest to Mike Richards in this years draft class? Mike Richards is seriously elite and I would love to have drafted Landeskog (Swedish Mike Richards).

Mike Richards!
Landeskog plays the wing. God, I hate that comparison.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now  
Old
01-24-2013, 11:00 PM
  #270
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Whos the closest to Mike Richards in this years draft class? Mike Richards is seriously elite and I would love to have drafted Landeskog (Swedish Mike Richards).

Mike Richards!
I don't know if there is anyone quite like Richards in this draft but there are a few that are slightly similar. They are:

Centres:
Max Domi,
Bo Horvat
Curtis Lazar

Wingers:
Adam Erne
Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman

Berserker* is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 11:02 PM
  #271
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
If Sean Monahan was more physical he'd be close to a Richards, but he's more of a Toews in the way he plays.

Rhino Reilly is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
  #272
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
If Sean Monahan was more physical he'd be close to a Richards, but he's more of a Toews in the way he plays.
Monohan is more of a Couturier type, really. Given the team passed on Couturier when he was generally regarded as the best available forward on the board, I doubt they go for Monohan if we have a top 10 pick, but you never know. I certainly don't expect us to have a shot at him (nor did I Couturier), so I'd certainly be pleased if we landed him.

But Monohan is not overly physical, although he will take abuse to make a play and doesn't completely shy away from contact. Big frame and pretty strong. But he doesn't have the motor or the "bust through anything" to get to the net attitude that Toews has. But he definitely has top 6 skills.

If you are looking for a Richard's or Landeskog type, I'd say your best bet would be Ryan Hartman. He is fast, physical and definitely raised his game at key times. He is outpacing Noesen and Rackell in Plymouth, despite being quite a bit younger. He had a really good WJC for an underager in bringing home gold for US.

He has been projected late 1st round because most have figured his skill set is more a 2nd-3rd line tweener, but based on his recent play and a longer look by scouts, it's looking more and more like he has legit top 6 potential. A Ryan Callahan type. I'd love for us to land him.

The other guy I'd like late in the 1st is Kerby Rychel. Is a little lower because of his skating, but is the top scorer in Windsor by 10 points, has great goal scoring ability and is tough with leadership qualities.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
  #273
JackBauer
Registered User
 
JackBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
This picking for need crap needs to go out the window. Take the most skilled player, end of story. Forget about whether its a centre or d-man. I'd take a winger if he's the best up there. We'll need to replace Alfie. Michalek could leave when his contract is up. Zibby could bust.

We have no 1st line forwards in the system (except possibly Zibby) so if there's one available, take him.

JackBauer is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
  #274
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
This picking for need crap needs to go out the window. Take the most skilled player, end of story. Forget about whether its a centre or d-man. I'd take a winger if he's the best up there. We'll need to replace Alfie. Michalek could leave when his contract is up. Zibby could bust.

We have no 1st line forwards in the system (except possibly Zibby) so if there's one available, take him.
I agreed with you, except, didn't you contradict yourself in the 2nd part? First you say, take the best player available period (Agree!), then you say we need to take a forward because our system is shallow. Can't have it both ways...

Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
  #275
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Thanks for the info guys

Mike Richards isn't elite in the sense that he'll put up as many points as Crosby but what makes him elite in my books is the fact that the guy is a bonafide leader/winner. He is outspoken, gritty, delivers big game goals, and just has that "Messier" factor. Crosby is more closer to Gretzky. I personally loved MR in Philly and was rooting for him the whole way in LA. Few players can play like he does in the league. Getzlaf is real close to what a larger Richards would be like however Getzlaf has had a couple bad years.

BrawlFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.