HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Hopefully Monahan falls into our laps. What a fantasy for Ottawa hockey fans to have Prince, Ceci and Monahan all play for the Sens. Seems like a great year for forwards, though we probably need D.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Monahan is so solid defensively we could skate 4 F and 1 D!!!

Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
There you have it, folks. Head scout DJB says Domi stinks so it must be true!!!! I'll alert the head scouts of each NHL team and make sure none of them draft him.

In reality, Domi is actually an unreal player. He's small but he's built like a house. He weighed in at 197 at the HHTP game. Dude is so strong on his skates, has incredible vision and a real good shot. I'd be thrilled to end up with Max Domi.
I heard he stinks though.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Curtis Lazar.

The guy is destined for greatness. What an awesome name.
When he scores, we could play the "Lazar Diamond" commercial.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I know this is kind of looking ahead a bit, and we may even have prospects yet to shine...but is there any chance that we move up in the draft this year to try and grab one of Lindholm or Monahan (this is under the assumption that we finish too high to initially draft them)?

I'm just wondering because Spezza isn't getting younger, and while Turris has looked nice he doesn't seem to be on the same level as a Spezza type talent.

Both Lindholm and Monahan, in my opinion, project to be that solid #1 center type that we can rely on. Plus they're both special players in their own way (biased towards Monahan, but mostly because I've seen a lot more of him and he plays for Ottawa).

Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I know this is kind of looking ahead a bit, and we may even have prospects yet to shine...but is there any chance that we move up in the draft this year to try and grab one of Lindholm or Monahan (this is under the assumption that we finish too high to initially draft them)?

I'm just wondering because Spezza isn't getting younger, and while Turris has looked nice he doesn't seem to be on the same level as a Spezza type talent.

Both Lindholm and Monahan, in my opinion, project to be that solid #1 center type that we can rely on. Plus they're both special players in their own way (biased towards Monahan, but mostly because I've seen a lot more of him and he plays for Ottawa).
All depends really. I agree with you, I think Lindholm and Monohan are great talents, both easily with top line potential. It seems to me that Ottawa's scouts always seem to have a diamond in the rough pick, and have a guy ranked in there top 10-15 that are not universally thought to go that high. I wouldn't be surprised if we have someone like that ahead of some of the guys in the top 10, and will sit on our pick to grab them.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
All depends really. I agree with you, I think Lindholm and Monohan are great talents, both easily with top line potential. It seems to me that Ottawa's scouts always seem to have a diamond in the rough pick, and have a guy ranked in there top 10-15 that are not universally thought to go that high. I wouldn't be surprised if we have someone like that ahead of some of the guys in the top 10, and will sit on our pick to grab them.
That wouldn't surprise me either. Even someone like Shinkaruk or Lazar...guys that have shown the potential to be something big but might not be quite on the cusp yet.

As long as we don't draft Domi I'll be happy haha.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:10 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
That wouldn't surprise me either. Even someone like Shinkaruk or Lazar...guys that have shown the potential to be something big but might not be quite on the cusp yet.

As long as we don't draft Domi I'll be happy haha.
Domi has look really good everytime I've seen him.

Shinkaruj is rated really high, at this point he's in the top prospect NYC this year. Who knows he could do something that makes him soar yet.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
@ Xspyrit.

Im not sure why you wasted your time typing all that out. I haven't seen anyone suggest we 'tank'. All I've seen is people saying they won't be angry about missing the playoffs and ending up with a top 10 pick because of the depth of the draft. No one is advocating tanking and assuming we'll get a superman franchise player by doing so.
Hey, I took the time to say "I'm not targeting anyone as I haven't even read this thread."

And it's not like the point about tanking was the only one in that post, lot of information, observations and opinions too

Old
01-18-2013, 08:35 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
There you have it, folks. Head scout DJB says Domi stinks so it must be true!!!! I'll alert the head scouts of each NHL team and make sure none of them draft him.

In reality, Domi is actually an unreal player. He's small but he's built like a house. He weighed in at 197 at the HHTP game. Dude is so strong on his skates, has incredible vision and a real good shot. I'd be thrilled to end up with Max Domi.
I'm merely stating my opinion on the kid, not sure the sarcasm was neccessary. But to each their own I suppose.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I'm in the camp of going nowhere near Domi.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

I'm liking Ristolainen, Zadorov and Nurse depending on where we land, and maybe throwing a late round pick to Alex Forsberg. I know the guy has taken a complete nosedive in rankings and has had some serious issues this season...but there is probably still some potential there that we may be able to provide adequate development for.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I'm liking Ristolainen, Zadorov and Nurse depending on where we land, and maybe throwing a late round pick to Alex Forsberg. I know the guy has taken a complete nosedive in rankings and has had some serious issues this season...but there is probably still some potential there that we may be able to provide adequate development for.
I agree. There's a lot of talk about how draft risers are better than sinkers, but I would love to have a Couturier, Frk, Fowler, Grigorenko, Forsberg if the price is right.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:40 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post

I would disagree with the bolded part, I think Turris is very much looking like a 1st line centre & he is only 23 yrs old. I remember when Spezza was that young & what Martin used to say about him especially defensively while Turris plays an excellent two way game. Turris may never have an 84 pt season but he certainly seems to have top line potential & should be in his prime just when Spezza starts to regress due to age.

I like Monahan if we can move up to get him or Nurse but I think Mantha & Ristolainen should be right around where Ottawa picks.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would disagree with the bolded part, I think Turris is very much looking like a 1st line centre & he is only 23 yrs old. I remember when Spezza was that young & what Martin used to say about him especially defensively while Turris plays an excellent two way game. Turris may never have an 84 pt season but he certainly seems to have top line potential & should be in his prime just when Spezza starts to regress due to age.

I like Monahan if we can move up to get him or Nurse but I think Mantha & Ristolainen should be right around where Ottawa picks.
The oldest Spezza was when Martin was coach was 20

Old
01-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Granted Turris has looked a lot better this year and he might be tapping into the talent most people thought he had when he was drafted -- it's still hard for me to project him to be on Spezza's level at any point.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
BrawlFan

Whos the closest to Mike Richards in this years draft class? Mike Richards is seriously elite and I would love to have drafted Landeskog (Swedish Mike Richards).

Mike Richards!

Old
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Mike Richards is not elite. Hes not the same player from 3 or 4 years ago.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:09 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Whos the closest to Mike Richards in this years draft class? Mike Richards is seriously elite and I would love to have drafted Landeskog (Swedish Mike Richards).

Mike Richards!
Landeskog plays the wing. God, I hate that comparison.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post

Mike Richards!
I don't know if there is anyone quite like Richards in this draft but there are a few that are slightly similar. They are:

Centres:
Max Domi,
Bo Horvat
Curtis Lazar

Wingers:
Adam Erne
Kerby Rychel
Ryan Hartman

Old
01-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
If Sean Monahan was more physical he'd be close to a Richards, but he's more of a Toews in the way he plays.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
If Sean Monahan was more physical he'd be close to a Richards, but he's more of a Toews in the way he plays.
Monohan is more of a Couturier type, really. Given the team passed on Couturier when he was generally regarded as the best available forward on the board, I doubt they go for Monohan if we have a top 10 pick, but you never know. I certainly don't expect us to have a shot at him (nor did I Couturier), so I'd certainly be pleased if we landed him.

But Monohan is not overly physical, although he will take abuse to make a play and doesn't completely shy away from contact. Big frame and pretty strong. But he doesn't have the motor or the "bust through anything" to get to the net attitude that Toews has. But he definitely has top 6 skills.

If you are looking for a Richard's or Landeskog type, I'd say your best bet would be Ryan Hartman. He is fast, physical and definitely raised his game at key times. He is outpacing Noesen and Rackell in Plymouth, despite being quite a bit younger. He had a really good WJC for an underager in bringing home gold for US.

He has been projected late 1st round because most have figured his skill set is more a 2nd-3rd line tweener, but based on his recent play and a longer look by scouts, it's looking more and more like he has legit top 6 potential. A Ryan Callahan type. I'd love for us to land him.

The other guy I'd like late in the 1st is Kerby Rychel. Is a little lower because of his skating, but is the top scorer in Windsor by 10 points, has great goal scoring ability and is tough with leadership qualities.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
JackBauer

This picking for need crap needs to go out the window. Take the most skilled player, end of story. Forget about whether its a centre or d-man. I'd take a winger if he's the best up there. We'll need to replace Alfie. Michalek could leave when his contract is up. Zibby could bust.

We have no 1st line forwards in the system (except possibly Zibby) so if there's one available, take him.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
This picking for need crap needs to go out the window. Take the most skilled player, end of story. Forget about whether its a centre or d-man. I'd take a winger if he's the best up there. We'll need to replace Alfie. Michalek could leave when his contract is up. Zibby could bust.

We have no 1st line forwards in the system (except possibly Zibby) so if there's one available, take him.
I agreed with you, except, didn't you contradict yourself in the 2nd part? First you say, take the best player available period (Agree!), then you say we need to take a forward because our system is shallow. Can't have it both ways...

Old
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
BrawlFan

Thanks for the info guys

Mike Richards isn't elite in the sense that he'll put up as many points as Crosby but what makes him elite in my books is the fact that the guy is a bonafide leader/winner. He is outspoken, gritty, delivers big game goals, and just has that "Messier" factor. Crosby is more closer to Gretzky. I personally loved MR in Philly and was rooting for him the whole way in LA. Few players can play like he does in the league. Getzlaf is real close to what a larger Richards would be like however Getzlaf has had a couple bad years.

Closed Thread