HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Around The NHL 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
The Canucks will not have an easy time getting into the playoffs. They'll get in, but they will really have to earn it this time around.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
They really miss Kesler and to a lesser extent Booth
Without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The Canucks will not have an easy time getting into the playoffs. They'll get in, but they will really have to earn it this time around.
Definitely. Although I read on their board that Kesler should start skating with the team probably by next Monday. There are actually quite a few fans on their board that would be fine with tanking this year for a better pick... They have zero top line prospects apparently.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Definitely. Although I read on their board that Kesler should start skating with the team probably by next Monday. There are actually quite a few fans on their board that would be fine with tanking this year for a better pick... They have zero top line prospects apparently.
what are you talking about, they have Cody Hodgson....oh wait...oops, hahahaha..

Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
what are you talking about, they have Cody Hodgson....oh wait...oops, hahahaha..
If they still did, they'd make great trade partners with the Hawks.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

just look at the Nucks and the shape they are in, and then try and come back and complain one ounce about the Hawks and our future. We at least have a cup ring in 2010, the Nucks have been good for a while now, but they have very little coming up in the way of prospects... whereas the Hawks have been just as good these past few years and yet we are pretty filled with solid prospects. we might lack the highend studs, but we will never run out of bodies anytime soon.

Cant wait to see TT, K Hayes, Johns, Danault, Olsen, Clendening and McNeill all in the next two years taking roles with this club...plus cant count out Morin, J Hayes, and Ben Smith either as all 3 could help out down the road as well..

Old
01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
There are 2 players drafted by Vancouver during the last 7 years that are currently playing in the NHL. Neither are on their team.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:46 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Oh, regarding the Yotes crowd pic I posted last night and how a couple mentioned that they just had a late arriving crowd....

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/GS020039.HTM

.... official attendance of 8,355. AKA - under half capacity for their second home game of the year.

Totally worth saving.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Oh, regarding the Yotes crowd pic I posted last night and how a couple mentioned that they just had a late arriving crowd....

.... official attendance of 8,355. AKA - under half capacity for their second home game of the year.

Totally worth saving.
NHL had to save it for 2 reasons

1) To prevent Balsille from violating NHL bylaws ,, 3 other sports supported NHL fight and US Court confirmed NHL rights

2) It looks bad for a team to leave an arena that was built with taxpayer money just a few years after it opens ,,, Would be trouble for NHL in future arena talks

Pho had potential ,, The move to Glendale has been horrid and was terrible

The Arena is well away from most of there fanbase

Old
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Hawkaholic

The only reason the place looked full in their 1st home game was because half of them were Hawks fans.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

I know they had their reasons, and good ones at that. Not to mention that they likely hoped to use Glendale as a test example of a municipality temporarily picking up a troubled team while an ownership search was underway. All well and good.

Fast forward three years later, though? With yet another ownership deal seemingly on the verge of crashing yet again, with taxpayers on the hook for tens of millions of dollars and likely ending in the eventual wrecking of the municipality's finances, a fanbase that still doesn't show up, and not one but two markets ready, willing, and able to buy them in the guise of Seattle and Quebec City, both of which have new arenas on the way (and with QC's already under construction)? The point's long since been lost.

Sucks for legit Yotes fans, but that's the problem.... there just aren't enough of them.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

It's not the end of the world for the diehards. Take the money they would have spent on games, get center ice and go on a couple trips to see the team in other cities. If the Hawks moved, even if we got a new team, I would stick by the original.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Add 2 expension teams, 1 Seattle and 1 Quebec. Then move the Yotes and have your alignment with 2 conferences with 2 divisions each. Problems solved, more money will be made and everybody is happy.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Add 2 expension teams, 1 Seattle and 1 Quebec. Then move the Yotes and have your alignment with 2 conferences with 2 divisions each. Problems solved, more money will be made and everybody is happy.
I'm really not in favor of adding any more teams. If anything, we have too many as is. Phoenix, Columbus, Dallas, and the Islanders are struggled to a decent extent with ticket sales last year. Fix those situations before you add two more teams via expansion.

Hell, you still have situations worth monitoring in the Panthers, Devils, and Canes.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Speaking of the Nucks, they also had a good amount of empty seats towards the end of the 3rd period. Official attendance for them was 105%, but they all didn't stay till the end, that's for sure. That arena was also pretty damn silent most of the game too.
Leaf fan here, and I have to say..it is embarrassing that they have to do ticket promotions during a break in action on television. That's almost sacre-religious here. Not sure why ticket demand isn't high there but it's definitely worrisome. They should be selling out considering they have nothing else going on at this time of the year and their team is pretty good. Vancouver has always seemed to me as a huge bandwagon fan base.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Totally worth saving.
I wonder what the excuse is now for Coyotes fans. Enough is enough, move the damn team already.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

If league wants that new alignment with 4 divisions, adding 2 teams would make sense. That's all I'm saying

Old
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Leaf fan here, and I have to say..it is embarrassing that they have to do ticket promotions during a break in action on television. That's almost sacre-religious here. Not sure why ticket demand isn't high there but it's definitely worrisome. They should be selling out considering they have nothing else going on at this time of the year and their team is pretty good. Vancouver has always seemed to me as a huge bandwagon fan base.
Every season since the last lockout they have averaged more than 100% capacity for every single home game... and going back as far as 2000, attendance really hasn't been an issue as far as ticket sales go. However, as far as how many people actually entered that stadium last night... I don't know if they left after a period of what, but towards the end of that game it looked closer to like 90% on TV... if that. Can't imagine what the upper bowl was like if I were seeing chunks of empty seats in the lower bowl during the 3rd period, OT, and the shootout.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
If league wants that new alignment with 4 divisions, adding 2 teams would make sense. That's all I'm saying
To make a nice round number, yeah, that makes sense.... but financially, it doesn't make much sense for the NHL to look that way just yet.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
To make a nice round number, yeah, that makes sense.... but financially, it doesn't make much sense for the NHL to look that way just yet.
Troof.

But I'm sure in a few years, there will be groups ready to pay that juicy expansion fee. Especially with the new arenas going up in Seattle and QC. And there's already one in Kansas City.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I wonder what the excuse is now for Coyotes fans. Enough is enough, move the damn team already.
There is no viable location yet

QC and Sea dont have completed arena's (Both arena's team could temp play in our terrible)

KC doesn't have ownership group (Has nice stadium)

Only 3 viable markets unless Les Alexander jumps in from Houston (Not gonna happen) but none are ready yet for NHL team

+ It makes more sense to make Sea/QC pay juicy expansion fee's not allow a relocation

Hamilton is nonstarter (Junk arena , Too close to Sabres , etc) and a 2nd team in Toronto will never happen (Though the $$$ NHL would get via expansion fee could be amazing)

Old
01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Why not?

Expansion money = Windfall for owners

And if say Sea + QC got teams they wont start playing until 2015 or later so it wouldn't be too soon for NHL

32 teams would be dream scenario IMO for everyone

- More $$$ for Owners
- More jobs for players
- 2 new markets for excitement and expanding revenue of league

Old
01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Why not?

And if say Sea + QC got teams they wont start playing until 2015 or later so it wouldn't be too soon for NHL

- More $$$ for Owners
- More jobs for players
I'm not going to claim to be a business of financial expert on the NHL, but...

When you have two teams struggling as bad as the Coyotes and Islanders, you really want to add 2 more teams? Not to mention the Panthers are practically giving away season tickets, and they have a playoff caliber team. What happens if they decline and start to suck again?

What happens if the Jackets don't improve, and they lose even more fans?

Yeah, I know the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn... but I'm not sold on that turning around their attendance.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Only problem is that literally every expansion that the NHL has taken since 67 has been done when there were already troubled teams still in existence, so it's not like arguing that the fact that there are troubled teams now necessarily precludes the option to expand.

Hell, adding teams in places like Quebec City or Seattle or Portland or Houston might very well help the league's bottom line and result in additional revenue sharing to troubled teams anyway.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Why not?

- More $$$ for Owners
- More jobs for players
Unless those franchises don't work out and existing owners are spread even thinner with revenue sharing. We'll have to see how franchises do post lockout. If there are still 10-15 teams losing money every year, expansion makes no sense. It makes much more sense to move existing struggling franchises.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

I'd love to see another expansion in my life just because the draft is fun and it generates trades. However, now is definitely not the time. If the NHL can grow to where it was pre-lockout and maintain that level and possibly even expand on it for a good 5-7 years, then it is something to consider.

Closed Thread