HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
BTCG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Ahh reboot city though more GMGM h3t0r3d3 and by extension Greenie (aka traded asset too late) thread. Ahh the past five seasons...wish my memory only went five. Lets take it back to '90. Honestly the whole thing bores me at my age. Naturally as Capitals fans we overvalue what we have in whatever awesome potential trade.
So... you're resigned to old(er... in your case) age? Giving up rock-n-roll?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
If it's any mention I believe a trade for Jordan Leopold would work if we gave up something in return.

Let's make it happen boys. Put Leopold on the first line with Green. Alzner/Carlson 2nd pair. Orlov/Kundratek or Poti and Hamrlik over Kundratek. Just turned a crappy defense to a pretty darn good one.
McPhee has Wey and Schilling grooming into 3rd pair capable dmen. Altogether with Orlov and Kundratek plus Carlzner and Green there are enough D for the future to be calm...

I mean I doubt he will make a move for D right now. It's almost pointless.

There should be a cap management plan. McPhee have enough D to maintain D under some bar salary-wise (like 18-19 M or smth). He hardly needs Leopold right now.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
McPhee has Wey and Schilling grooming into 3rd pair capable dmen. Altogether with Orlov and Kundratek plus Carlzner and Green there are enough D for the future to be calm...

I mean I doubt he will make a move for D right now. It's almost pointless.

There should be a cap management plan. McPhee have enough D to maintain D under some bar salary-wise (like 18-19 M or smth). He hardly needs Leopold right now.
Eh, i'd like to believe there are future defenseman worth noting but we need something now anyways.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:38 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
go back and look at adam oates interviews on systems. he has said several times that he wants his defense to avoid getting hit. so.....yea, he is being told to avoid it. conversely had had 4 hits last night highest on the team.
You have total credibility with me, so my tendency is to believe you... but truth be told, I have not heard that either. But that would explain a few things I've noticed, of late.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:40 PM
BTCG

Little too much complaint on #52 here, IMO... and that comes from someone critical on him.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinions.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
The injuries have passed and I am raising my expectations on him.

Green is smarter in the D Zone but he butters his bread with offense.

Its been a few years now.

I suspect injuries are a factor as gone seem his money wristers, top corner aim and danglosity. But also his decisiveness.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Well it's alot of things. Green was so effective because we had a plethora of talent elsewhere and it was hard to cover every angle.

He was also more free with the puck where now he is more conservative. It's okay to be conservative obviously, but he needs to shoot more and take the puck in more. Start taking chances but don't burn the team. Take the ones where you know you can get away with it: where your defensive partner is alert and aware and someone can move to D if it breaks down.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Meh he's been decent and has played well so far, at the least he's durable. Only has one more year left to his contract, not too bad.
Fine I've come around. Over the summer:

Green and Schultz for Jbo and Cammalleri?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Fine I've come around. Over the summer:

Green and Schultz for Jbo and Cammalleri?
I would definitley take this.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I would definitley take this.
Asset wise I like it also but the additional $4 mil cap hit the Caps would take on gives me a decent amount of pause.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Stewie G

Cammalleri destroyed the Caps in that playoff series. I'd take him just to keep him from Jon Sim'ing them again.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Asset wise I like it also but the additional $4 mil cap hit the Caps would take on gives me a decent amount of pause.
I just checked and it would come just above the cap.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
BobRouse

Those who want Green gone are the same ones who were sure Semin was the ultimate evil cancer in the locker room.

Now that Schultz is sitting in the stands, Flash and Semin are long gone it seems that Green steps to the front of the "goat" line.

Before anymore personnel moves are made I think the Caps need to make 1 first and foremost and I think we all know who that is.

I've softened on McPhee over the years but its becoming pretty clear that he doesn't have a pulse on the lockerroom and just can never seem to get the right pieces together.

Not sure if anyone can dispute that if this season keeps on trucking along like this.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I just checked and it would come just above the cap.
I'm more worried about next season's cap situation than this one.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Before anymore personnel moves are made I think the Caps need to make 1 first and foremost and I think we all know who that is.

I've softened on McPhee over the years but its becoming pretty clear that he doesn't have a pulse on the lockerroom and just can never seem to get the right pieces together.

Not sure if anyone can dispute that if this season keeps on trucking along like this.
I'm sorry but did anyone really think that the 6 day training 'camp' was going to be enough for a brand new coach to implement a brand new system and get the team playing in an any way reasonable way? And if so why?

It is going to take a while for this team to start playing decently and that was always going to be the case when Hunter decided he didn't want to come back and any coach who didn't play pretty much the exact system wasn't brought in to replace him. Add in basically no training camp and no preseason at all and it is now going to take even longer.

Yes yes I know McPhee should have seen this 6 day training camp coming and hired a Hunter clone to coach the team but I guess we can add yet another black mark on his CV...

Old
01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I'm sorry but did anyone really think that the 6 day training 'camp' was going to be enough for a brand new coach to implement a brand new system and get the team playing in an any way reasonable way? And if so why?

It is going to take a while for this team to start playing decently and that was always going to be the case when Hunter decided he didn't want to come back and any coach who didn't play pretty much the exact system wasn't brought in to replace him. Add in basically no training camp and no preseason at all and it is now going to take even longer.

Yes yes I know McPhee should have seen this 6 day training camp coming and hired a Hunter clone to coach the team but I guess we can add yet another black mark on his CV...
What you say very well maybe a big factor for sure.

However I have observed this "underwhelming" enthusiasm of the team for 3 years now.

This team basically looks like the same team under BB last year. With Hunter they played junk 50/50 hockey so that masked the lack of "want". (also Hunter seemed to play the "want" players over the other guys..maybe he was onto something?)

What I'm sayin is that there is something rotten with the team. I don't think its Green. I am convinced now it wasn't Semin, Flash, BB or any other whipping boy player.

It has to do with the mix and locker room chemistry. That falls on the architect.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Millhaus

Give the team some time to figure out how Oates wants them to play and try to all get on the same page.

How long? I don't know. How long would you give a team with a new coach playing a new system if they had a real training camp and preseason? I'd give them about a month of regular season under those circumstances. Under these? A good amount longer unfortunately so these boards should be a blast...

Old
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Give the team some time to figure out how Oates wants them to play and try to all get on the same page.

How long? I don't know. How long would you give a team with a new coach playing a new system if they had a real training camp and preseason? I'd give them about a month of regular season under those circumstances. Under these? A good amount longer unfortunately so these boards should be a blast...
Millhaus,

We have essentially the same personel... so why are we changing a system that nearly got us into the semi-finals?

Is that good management?

Look... I've heard the same speech you're making more times than I care to calculate. It's always the same. Even if we spin off some wins, and manage to win the SED, the same issues remain uncorrected.

Geez.... we're talking 15 years here.

When is enough.... ENOUGH?

Old
01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:

The problem with this is that a month into the season or more could quite possibly take us out of the playoff hunt all together. This condensed season means a long stretch of horrible play could equate to being out of it early or having to do a 2008 like stretch.

And I'm not at all calling for someones head, I'm just pointing out one flaw or wrench in the whole lets wait it out method that we have been known for in Washington. Unfortunately Ovechkin's shelf life is only so long how long do we have to wait for a team to be built instead of waiting for the right pieces to randomly be lucked upon? And how much longer till we're saying the Kuz and Forsberg era is going to be different.....

Old
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
The problem with this is that a month into the season or more could quite possibly take us out of the playoff hunt all together.
What is the alternative? If you are going to bring in a coach who wants his team to play a very different system the team is going to have learn the system well enough to not even have to really think about what they are doing. Like it or not but that takes time.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Bonzai

Unfortunately for us, it's far past time. Now we'll get peanuts, if we're lucky.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
What is the alternative? If you are going to bring in a coach who wants his team to play a very different system the team is going to have learn the system well enough to not even have to really think about what they are doing. Like it or not but that takes time.
Oh I agree I'm just saying that this season could be lost because of this

Old
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Millhaus,

We have essentially the same personel... so why are we changing a system that nearly got us into the semi-finals?

Is that good management?
Personally I feel good management is either building a team that fits the coach's style of play or hiring a coach who wants to play a style that fits the personnel. Hunter's desired style of play in no way fit his personnel. Sure the coin flips came up heads 7 times in the playoffs but they also came up tails 7 times. Wouldn't you prefer to actually have some control over your fate?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

We could probably shop him to Philadelphia especially now that Meszaros is out 4 weeks and no Hartnell.

What's your guys' proposals?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Find me a capable puck mover before you trade Green. Otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Closed Thread