HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Brave Sir Robin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
a lot of centers dont translate well to wing. he's a center. i dont remember backstrom being impressive at wing when forced to play there.
Last season he spent significant time at both center and wing, and I don't think he was noticeably better at either position. After all, his main asset is speed, which translates well to the wing.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Just because they're Swedish doesn't mean they all belong on the same line. Johansson is failing miserably as a winger.

I doubt he'll be fired but he's on a short leash if we either fail to make the playoffs or get a 1st round exit this year. Even more of a shorter leash and a possible half-season firing if he puts all Swedes on the line next year and they fail miserably.

McPhee has a tendency to draft Russians because they're Russian or Swedes because they're Swedes. It's highly annoying. Tell me how the Anton Gustafsson thing went. I honestly believe if he didn't have this biasm we wouldn't have selected Anton Gustafsson and selected JORDAN EBERLE one pick later. Can you imagine?
Gustafsson was his one of his worst 1st round picks (Finley) but he did make it up by trading eminger for Carlson that same day.

And Gustafsson was drafted more for his fathers ties to the caps then him being swedish

Old
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Johansson played primarily on the wing during the stretch run last season. That was also his most productive period of his career so far.

For instance, during the last 10 regular season games of last season, he played almost exclusively on the wing. He had 7 points during that span (a 65-point pace).
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...&gametype=10#A

Old
01-23-2013, 11:06 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Caps draft Europeans because they scouted them and think they are a good player.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
He's been most productive on the wing. I don't think it matters what position he plays as long as he plays it downright scared. He ought to be buried down the depth chart and forced to find some gumption.

Center will help him not be such a constant wuss along the boards somewhat but he's going to need to man up either way.
And this is going to keep getting ignored by those that desperately want to see him as the 2C against all logic.

Johansson had an extended offseason to address his strength and conditioning problems, yet 2 games into season he's already gotten benched for not skating, which was really the only thing he was not terrible at.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
And this is going to keep getting ignored by those that desperately want to see him as the 2C against all logic.

Johansson had an extended offseason to address his strength and conditioning problems, yet 2 games into season he's already gotten benched for not skating, which was really the only thing he was not terrible at.
We want him as a C (3C right now) so he can raise his trade value. He doesn't bring anything at wing but some team could take a flyer on him becoming a Plekanec type C.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:48 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I think Jo has looked most comfortable at center. He can use his speed the most there- his top asset, getting back from defensive coverage up into the attack. he is not a Chimera or Ovi that can use their speed and storm in like a bull and get a scoring chance.

The sales job of Laich to center, the emergence of Beagle, the ample backup C scoring MP provides, have left him homeless. And he looks lost and its easy to see.

I would stick him at 4C and give him PK duty. If MP and Aucoin can be a 4C, so can he.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Johansson played primarily on the wing during the stretch run last season. That was also his most productive period of his career so far.

For instance, during the last 10 regular season games of last season, he played almost exclusively on the wing. He had 7 points during that span (a 65-point pace).
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...&gametype=10#A
Of course, the period where he was most productive just happened to coincide with Ovechkin's most productive stretch of the season. He scored 8 goals and 11 points over those last 10 games. Of Mojo's 7 points, 6 involved Ovie. I think it's more of a coincidence that Mojo happened to be on the wing during Ovie's strong last month and that inflated his stats.

Quote:
Just because they're Swedish doesn't mean they all belong on the same line. Johansson is failing miserably as a winger.

I doubt he'll be fired but he's on a short leash if we either fail to make the playoffs or get a 1st round exit this year. Even more of a shorter leash and a possible half-season firing if he puts all Swedes on the line next year and they fail miserably.

McPhee has a tendency to draft Russians because they're Russian or Swedes because they're Swedes. It's highly annoying. Tell me how the Anton Gustafsson thing went. I honestly believe if he didn't have this biasm we wouldn't have selected Anton Gustafsson and selected JORDAN EBERLE one pick later. Can you imagine?
You act like he's had a ton of misses taking Europeans. We've really only struck out on two guys in McPhee's tenure- Gus and Pokulok. Gus had the family connection with Bengt so that might have blinded them (As for Eberle, he was considered a significant reach at the time; CSB had him ranked 33rd amongst North American skaters. Chances are, he wasn't our next pick anyway). As for Pokulok, his career was derailed by injury, so you can't really blame GMGM. If you want to see what McPhee's drafting was like before Ovie, check out this link. Aside from Semin, his drafting in those years was awful, and most of his misses are Canadians.

Last edited by Zoidberg Jesus: 01-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Should Poti not re-injure himself and Kundratek plays respectfully, which Oates sounded happy with him, then 1 or 2 D I would think would be heading out the door. As to whom they may be I don't know. LOL NOT Alzer, Carlson, Green, or Poti I guess.

There's a log jam at the left D (Hillen, Hamrlik, Schultz, Erskine) position similar to last year. This was an immediate problem in Tampa Bay. Hamrlik was shuffled to RD a couple of times. Kundratek and / or Orlov solves this problem quickly. But then who goes?

Schultz seems like a candidate but seems to be a pet project and what could be gotten for him let's say from Detroit?

Erskine: I just don't so where he fits in despite the fact he'll punch someone in the nose. Hard to do from the press box. Waivers?

Hillen: not impressed. Can he be Hershey bound?

Orlov: no way - the Caps better not trade baby Orlov.

Kundratek: short term I don't think he'll be traded because he's a right D. And Oates seemed thoroughly happy with him - enough that he got PP time.

Hamrlik: definitely could see him traded at the deadline if the Caps are out of the playoffs. But right now I see the Caps keeping him in case Poti gets injured and to babysit Kundratek or Orlov. Or maybe he'll go - just don't see it though in case of an injury in the top four.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Wonder what Colorado would want for O'Reilly...

Old
01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
n3ss

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...of-your-plans/

Wonder what montreal wants for PK

Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Johansson + Orlov? I'd love to sneak Laich in there if possible, but I doubt that happens. Orlov has looked good so far, but if the Caps plan on keeping Green and Carlson, he'd likely end up with 3rd pairing minutes. Unfortunately though, I'm pretty sure on most of the Avalanche threads on the trade boards the main piece they're looking for is a LD, so the Caps might not be good trade partners.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Roughing

That JFS is still on this team is disgraceful. Get the @#$% rid of him.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I floated a scenario yesterday on the Avs board of MOJO for ROR straight up. Drafted same year, with MOJO just a couple slots higher, ROR has about 90 more NHL games under his belt, but production wise they're similar. I said MOJO would probably flourish in Colorado as did Flash when we traded him there. But the response was they were looking for Defensive help and an ROR trade would have to have that included in the package. Of course this was before hearing about Downie out for the season.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
There here in D.C., never a better time than now for GMGM to have such a conversation. Mike Green, Perreault and Galiev for Subban.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
There here in D.C., never a better time than now for GMGM to have such a conversation. Mike Green, Perreault and Galiev for Subban.
It'd be nice, but I think we all know GMGM is not capable of making a big move like that.

Inb4 we end up with Kaberle

Old
01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
pk subban

Old
01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I would love PK Subban over Green but I know it'll never happen.

You're going to have to pry Green from McPhee's cold dead hands before he is traded. Plus Mike Green is considered a bum in many parts of Canada, so not sure how the Montreal crowd would benefit from him.

Plus his injury concerns.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Mike Green and Mathieu Perreault for Ryan McDonagh

Make it happen.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

Make it happen.
You do realize there is a salary cap in the nhl, right?

Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:

Make it happen.
I doubt the Rags move McD... And even if they do this offer isn't close.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:

Make it happen.

How do the Rangers make that work under the cap?

Old
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You do realize there is a salary cap in the nhl, right?
Baha yeah I was joking.

That would never happen but would be beautiful. Ryan McDonagh is a beast who hasn't exploded on the Rangers this season yet. I thought my "Make it happen" was showing that I was joking but apparently nottt..

Old
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
pk subban
Why? He can't anchor a pairing with Johanson, and they have Barrie, Elliott, etc coming up.

Alzner is pretty much the exact thing they want.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
um

Quote:

Make it happen.
haha that's your worst trade yet. just stick to nhl13

Closed Thread