Bruins (2-0) at Rags (0-2) Wed 23 Jan 730PM EST NBCSN ,98.5 FM II

Old
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
OT but Bill, when are you guys going to bring back Bruins Talk Radio after every game. Love it last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
This......X2
Thanks guys! We're working on it.

01-24-2013, 11:35 AM
BklyNBruiN

Imagine Nash on the Bruins. I wonder if Peter C imagined that when he was available. Rangers didn't give up so much for Nash.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Rask is awesome. So is Hamilton.

Just had to drop by and say that. Fun game, you guys played hard.
Except the B's forgot to play for the first period.

01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Its only been 3 games. But Hamilton seems to know exactly what to do and when to do it.
He looks pretty good out there !

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
lot of positives starting with the point against a very good team who needed this

Bergeron was fantastic- probably locked up the Selke tonight (and considering it was a prime game against the Rangers with all the big boys working it, I aint kidding)

great to see Horton score a goal for the first time in over a year

Lucic is playing physical and down low- I'd take this every game

Hamilton is impressive- quick reads, long reach, going to be a star

Rask had a heck of a game- stays healthy he will have a very good year; I am confident he'll play well, I'm less confident he'll stay healthy
So, we're looking at a Selke, a Vezina and a Calder? Not bad!

Some sloppy passing at times, and I HATE forwards at the point on the Power Play, but I'll take the point considering the way they started, and Hamilton just looks terrific!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
putabergeronthegrill

The funny part is, how close Rask was to also saving the SECOND mid-air deflection from Gaborik.

Seguin looks meh, I'm not buying the "larger ice" excuse, its not like he's the only one who has played overseas. Waiting for him to prove me wrong though. I predicted Marchand would get more goals that him this year and I'm sticking by that.

Last edited by Bridges31: 01-24-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Removed last line- offensive
putabergeronthegrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
So, we're looking at a Selke, a Vezina and a Calder? Not bad!

Some sloppy passing at times, and I HATE forwards at the point on the Power Play, but I'll take the point considering the way they started, and Hamilton just looks terrific!
while we're at it why not throw in the Masterton trophy for Horton?

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
RussellmaniaKW

I'm surprised at the people slagging Seguin. His timing is definitely off but I think he has been playing hard and making a lot of solid defensive plays. He's even throwing the body around a bit. The goals will come. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he lit up the Isles.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I'm surprised at the people slagging Seguin. His timing is definitely off but I think he has been playing hard and making a lot of solid defensive plays. He's even throwing the body around a bit. The goals will come. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he lit up the Isles.
The only issue I had with Seguin last night was him trying to force passes on the PP. I'm loving that he busts his ass on the back check and is playing grittier on the boards, I love his speed and ability to back off defensmen on the rush but on the PP, for whatever reason he's playing the pass first.

Maybe that's the coaches telling him to be more patient, I don't know. But I think he needs to get shots on or toward the net. I can certainly give him the benefit of the doubt against the Rangers that there probably isn't exactly a clear lane to the neat to get a shot through, but still, he's talented enough to pick a spot for one of the guys in the slot to rebound it home even if it never gets all the way through to Lundqvist.

Other than that... it's 3 games in. Two of them were against the Rags who are physical and stifling. Against the Jets, I feel like Seguin could of gotten a hat trick with the amount of chances he got. Almost like he was surprised he had time and space compared to the first game of the season. It will come. Not worried at all.

On another note, I feel like Hamilton will score his first goal really soon. Like.. maybe/hopefully against the Islanders. He's averaging like 3-4 shots a game already, is he not? If it wasn't Henrik last night, I feel like he would have picked the corner with the wrister he let off in the 3rd. It's coming.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
Imagine Nash on the Bruins. I wonder if Peter C imagined that when he was available. Rangers didn't give up so much for Nash.
I thought I heard that he made an offer, but Howson wanted like 2/4 of Rask, Seguin, Lucic, or Hamilton, and that's obviously not happening... Got a little more desperate as time went on, I guess.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I thought I heard that he made an offer, but Howson wanted like 2/4 of Rask, Seguin, Lucic, or Hamilton, and that's obviously not happening... Got a little more desperate as time went on, I guess.
yea I think that's what was reported. It's funny because he ended up taking a pile of **** for him.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I still think that rumor had to have been BS because what he ended up getting was soooo much worse than what he was reportedly asking us.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
while we're at it why not throw in the Masterton trophy for Horton?
Good point by you!

Old
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
JMiller

I'm still not sold on Nash- there just seems a little too much J. Thornton in his game. Maybe it's how they use their size to protect their finesse game. There's just something missing and that move he tries over and over, where he turns his back to the defender as he drives the net, I think is a symptom.

I wouldn't hitch a franchise to him, particularly the Bruins franchise who's success comes from kids who fight tooth and nail to impose themselves on opponents.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
4ORRBRUIN

I'll tell ya, Dougie and Peverly looked decent together on the point last night.

It will be interesting to see what Clode will do with the pairings once Seidenberg is back. Seguin in my opinion is better suited on the left half wall if they decide to stick with the umbrella or at least rotate into it when they actually have possession in the o-zone.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

I thought the Bruins might have a bit of an edge over some other teams because they had a number of players who played in Europe during the lock-out, and would therefore be in game shape.

I find it interesting that all of the Bruins goal scorers so far did not play during the lockout.

Not that it means anything, just interesting is all.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
I'll tell ya, Dougie and Peverly looked decent together on the point last night.

It will be interesting to see what Clode will do with the pairings once Seidenberg is back. Seguin in my opinion is better suited on the left half wall if they decide to stick with the umbrella or at least rotate into it when they actually have possession in the o-zone.
I'll agree with half of that.

I thought Peverly looked horrible on the point, as did Krejci.

Let defensemen play the point!

They've been doing it all their lives and they can actually keep the puck in the zone. Bergeron isn't bad at keeping the puck in, but a forward at the point really hasn't worked for this team since Rolston's first tour of duty, if you ask me.

*Disclaimer: I don't even wanna talk about anyone who was on the point during the 4 on 4 O.T.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
The only issue I had with Seguin last night was him trying to force passes on the PP.
I don't know how you single him out for that. The whole team looks like they're trying for the prettiest goal of all time.

I think Gretzky said "100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in the net."

The minute they have an open lane, they should be shooting. Maximize your PP by taking as many shots with the man advantage as possible. So many good things can happen (direct goal / goal off goalie / goal off defenseman / goal off teammate / juicy rebound / rebound to do it all again) if you just shoot the puck.

And especially given how sloppy passing is due to the lack of consistent game play for the majority of the NHL, shooting over passing is a great idea right now.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I still think that rumor had to have been BS because what he ended up getting was soooo much worse than what he was reportedly asking us.
This is what I believe as well. Whether PC assumed the asking price was too high, went on what they were asking for at the deadline when his price was sky high, or called and was told they were looking for a ton and moved on, something doesn't add up.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
This is what I believe as well. Whether PC assumed the asking price was too high, went on what they were asking for at the deadline when his price was sky high, or called and was told they were looking for a ton and moved on, something doesn't add up.
That something, is Scott Howson. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he valued Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, late 1st the same as 2 of Hamilton, Rask, Lucic, and Krejci. I mean because 4 is bigger than 2 in his mind.

Howson turned Voracek, the pick that could have been Hamilton, and Rick Nash into:

Dubinsky (with his value at an all time low)
Anisimov
Erixon (who had been acquired for 2 2nds)
Jack Johnson (nearing -100 for his career)
2 likely Late 2013 1sts

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
4ORRBRUIN

[QUOTE=Roll 4 Lines;58237183]

Let defensemen play the point!

QUOTE]

As a dman I hated when coaches did this. But in the Bruins case, you're talking about a group of defensemen that collectively have the worst hands of any group in the league.

This shows in their ability of make plays in their own end and on the PP. They're just not any good at it.

That being said, I don't think they have the right forward for it either. I don't think Peverly was horrible. Seemed like him and Dougie were on the same page for the most part. IMO they should give them a couple more opportunities to see if theres something really there.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
TCL40

Quote:
I may get hammered for this here, I`ll take DH on the PP anyday over Chara and it isn`t becuase I don`t love big Z, it`s the fact that when DH is there, the whole PP doesn`t focus on getting him the puck, with Z, the B`s players just seem to constantly try and set him up and it takes away from other opportunities.
I don't think this is Chara's fault so much as it is the PP unit just relying too much on shots from Chara at the point.

Personally I would love to see them change Chara's role-make him more of a red herring to pull defense out of position.

I think Dougie relies on the placement of the shot and not the pure speed of the shot, something Chara doesn't always do (Chara has that powerful shot but he doesn't usually finesse it from the point but just hammers it home).

As for Seguin part of me would still love to see Seguin on a line with Lucic-they had good chemistry together last year. Although not sure I want to see Seguin with Krejci. So switching Marchand and Looch might make sense.

Lucic is actually looking pretty good right now-I expected more rust from pre season comments.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I'm still not sold on Nash- there just seems a little too much J. Thornton in his game. Maybe it's how they use their size to protect their finesse game. There's just something missing and that move he tries over and over, where he turns his back to the defender as he drives the net, I think is a symptom.

I wouldn't hitch a franchise to him, particularly the Bruins franchise who's success comes from kids who fight tooth and nail to impose themselves on opponents.
Yea cutting to the middle, which is always a dangerous play on lucic and boychuk of all people really shows his lack of grittiness. He used his size plenty of times to attack the net. Not sure which game you were watching.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Lucic is actually looking pretty good right now-I expected more rust from pre season comments.
I think everyone that bagged on Lucic's conditioning did so based off of a few minutes they watched of the game vs Providence. Same with the folks bashing Tuukka off that one meaningless "game".

Those two groups couldn't have been more wrong.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Some sloppy passing at times
I think this was a combination of bad ice at MSG and at times players trying to force passes. The passing also got progressively worse in the third (the period I watched) which made me think ice was an issue.

Quote:
I think everyone that bagged on Lucic's conditioning did so based off of a few minutes they watched of the game vs Providence.

True-most comments came from that game and a few from people at the practices. I wonder if part of the reason Looch looked bad at the scrimmage was because he was afraid to play his hard/physical game with the Providence players. I think Looch needs the hard, physical game to play his best.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote