HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Index 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I think you are wrong, he is the type of player who will be better when he plays with better players.
People don't seem to get that this exists. Look at all of the players in years past who score 18 points in their first 50 AHL games, get called up for the remainder of the NHL season and score 18 points in 30 NHL games. In fact I think part of Luke Adam's scoring problem right now is because of this (he still sucks in other ares of the game).

Old
01-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitung View Post
Custom in Finland and especially in Pori. Im not sure if that's even an English phrase. Meaning that when you play well and score winning goal(fans think that) you are the best player in the world but after a bad game you suck and should be benched or sold to KHL.
North American phrase for this is Montreal Canadiens fan.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
It's good to hear that Cat is performing so well. After an injury-ridden prospect camp the summer following his draft and a rather underwhelming (to me at least) showing at camp this past summer, I look forward to seeing him in Rochester later this year.

From what I collect, he's a unique center in this organization in that his defensive game and faceoff ability both seem to be at an elite level.
This has been discussed a lot, but I'm hoping he can be a Helm-type guy for our third line. Fast, defensively reliable winger who can also chip in at center or take draws and has some legitimate offensive ability at the NHL-level.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
ohlguy

vCash: 500
I don't recall Cat having an injury-ridden prospect camp following his draft. I do remember him having a very good camp and the Sabres keeping him out of the scrimmage for precautionary measures as you can see in the below article. It's also mentioned he was one of the most impressive at the camp. I believe it was a sore groin as there were a few more players kept out for the same reason.

http://thehockeywriters.com/going-ca...elopment-camp/

I will begin with saying I am not including Tyler Ennis or Luke Adam further in this piece because I consider both to be head-and-shoulders above the rest of the prospects. Obviously Ennis will be on the Sabres this upcoming season, but I also fully expect Adam to make the team out of training camp with relative ease, especially after what he showed this past week.

So with that said, in my opinion, the most impressive prospect of the week, or at least the one who exceeded my expectations the most was this year’s third-round draft choice (77th overall) Dan Catenacci.The kid can flat-out fly and he showed that during the skating drills throughout the week (he was held out of both weekend scrimmages for precautionary measures). The member of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds had actually won the CHL’s “fastest skater” award in the league’s Skills Competition this past season and moved with such ease through various cone drills, showing off his great agility as well.

Not only is Catenacci a fast skater, but he is also an intelligent play-maker who has a lightning quick wrist-shot to boot. Of course he still has a lot of work to do before he can be considered NHL ready (he is likely still 2-3 years away from cracking the Sabres lineup), he certainly has the potential to become a top-six center in the NHL.

Before the draft, many scouting outlets gave Catenacci a first-round grade and the more I watched him over the course of the camp, the more I became convinced Darcy & Co. got themselves a steal as he fell to them in the third round.

If you’d like an NHL comparison, Catenacci looks to me to be a carbon-copy to Montreal’s Mike Cammalleri.

Not a bad find in the third round.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
This has been discussed a lot, but I'm hoping he can be a Helm-type guy for our third line. Fast, defensively reliable winger who can also chip in at center or take draws and has some legitimate offensive ability at the NHL-level.
Stick Cat with Girgensons in a few years, and you've got a helluva line. Maybe slide a Tropp or someone on the other side...

Old
01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Isn't Catenacci a center?

Old
01-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Isn't Catenacci a center?
Yea but that doesn't mean he'll be a center in NHL, especially with Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, and Girgensons.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
It's good to hear that Cat is performing so well. After an injury-ridden prospect camp the summer following his draft and a rather underwhelming (to me at least) showing at camp this past summer, I look forward to seeing him in Rochester later this year.

From what I collect, he's a unique center in this organization in that his defensive game and faceoff ability both seem to be at an elite level.
Not sure I'd bet on that. Owen Sound is a very good team and should go deep into the OHL playoffs (conference finals, at least). The Amerks may well be done by the time the Attack is eliminated.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Yea but that doesn't mean he'll be a center in NHL, especially with Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, and Girgensons.
I have no idea why a bunch of fans that clamour for more centers or center depth constantly feel the need to switch our center prospects to the wing. Do we shift defensemen to winger or wingers to center?

I'm genuinely curious . Ennis played center his entire career, we drafted him and all of a sudden he's only a winger in the NHL. He gets moved back to center on the FES line and plays the best hockey of his life. Why can't our drafted centers just be centers?

Old
01-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
I have no idea why a bunch of fans that clamour for more centers or center depth constantly feel the need to switch our center prospects to the wing. Do we shift defensemen to winger or wingers to center?

I'm genuinely curious . Ennis played center his entire career, we drafted him and all of a sudden he's only a winger in the NHL. He gets moved back to center on the FES line and plays the best hockey of his life. Why can't our drafted centers just be centers?
Because you can only have 3 people playing center in your top line 9. Hodgson, Grigorenko, Ennis, Girgensons, Catenacci, Sundher, etc. Someone has to play wing.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not sure I'd bet on that. Owen Sound is a very good team and should go deep into the OHL playoffs (conference finals, at least). The Amerks may well be done by the time the Attack is eliminated.
I meant later this calendar year.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
jfb392

Quote:

Ennis played on the wing in the AHL and WHL also.
He got moved to the middle in the NHL and put together a streak together that makes him look like he's better in the middle when he simply had some amazing luck.
I just don't think he can handle the rigors of playing in the middle at the NHL level long-term.

As for Catenacci, he just projects better as a winger.
He's smaller, has speed to burn, and just isn't complete enough in any facet of the game to knock any of our centers presently on the roster out of the middle.
They can develop him as a center if they'd like I guess, but he probably doesn't end up sticking in that position if he's in the NHL.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Armia with a 2+1 game, scored the OT winner in 2-3 game.

Armia needs to step up for Ässät now, they sold their best player Stephen Dixon to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl today. Ässät are now 12th in the league

Old
01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
McTank

Good for Armia!

Old
01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Here be the goals

http://www.nelonenpro.fi/j%C3%A4%C3%...a/media/505503

Old
01-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Armia with a 2+1 game, scored the OT winner in 2-3 game.

Armia needs to step up for Ässät now, they sold their best player Stephen Dixon to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl today. Ässät are now 12th in the league
I had no idea that you could sell a player to another league. Good to know.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Zeitung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I had no idea that you could sell a player to another league. Good to know.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

Any word on that Russian tender we have...Markov?

Finding Miller's replacement is a looming issue...

Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Any word on that Russian tender we have...Markov?

Finding Miller's replacement is a looming issue...
From Bakes via 1/27 Recap: Goalies shine:
Quote:
In Sunday action, Andrey Makarov made 27 saves as Saskatoon blanked Moose Jaw 4-0. The shutout was Makarov's fifth of the season and third in his last 10 starts. The Blades are back in action Wednesday versus Brandon.

Quote:
Andrey Makarov stopped 27 shots for his fifth shutout of the season, tying the league-lead, and is just one shutout shy of tying a Saskatoon Blades' record.

"I just come out and play as hard as I can," said Makarov, who is one clean sheet away from tying the franchise record of six shutout set by Braden Holtby in the 2008-2009 season.

Link: http://www.newstalk650.com/story/mak...t-season/93840
Makarov also made 38 saves on 39 shots against in tonight's game:
Quote:
Saskatoon's Andrey Makarov made 38 saves as the Blades defeated the Brandon Wheat Kings 5-1 in Western Hockey League action Wednesday.

Link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...roundup_jan30/

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Makarov. I know what you mean, I was thinking about the likelihood of Leggio or Knapp or Lieuwen ever making the NHL, let alone becoming a starter. I don't know if any of them have that kind of upside. Makarov has a lot of detractors but he's got the Billy Smith thing about playing his best in the biggest games, too. Scouts didn't like Hasek either.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Makarov. I know what you mean, I was thinking about the likelihood of Leggio or Knapp or Lieuwen ever making the NHL, let alone becoming a starter. I don't know if any of them have that kind of upside. Makarov has a lot of detractors but he's got the Billy Smith thing about playing his best in the biggest games, too. Scouts didn't like Hasek either.
He is goofy and unorthodox but he does show up in big games so far in his young career and lets not forget a certain somebody who had "similar" descriptions

Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

I like Makarov more than any goalie prospect we've had since Miller fully established himself as our #1. That's not to say I think he'll make it or is more likely than some others were (or are), but I just have a positive feeling. His play is really interesting and he's a bit of a personality himself. Would be awesome if he becomes an NHL-calibre prospect for the organization, especially since he was acquired for free.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Over here, Vasilevskiy is a first rounder and Makarov is undraftable.

Over there (on Russia's WJC squads), they rotate.

I daresay someone is right and someone is wrong about their relative value.

(Yes, "potential", I know...)

Old
01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
RattleYourSabre

So, I figured this was as good of a place as any to ask this question:

I haven't personally seen Armia play. But I've heard a lot of people talk a lot about how skilled he is, and how they project him to possibly be a force for the Sabres next year. I did some looking around and found a site that shows our prospects (I'd link it, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here) stats for the current season.

For Armia:

13 G, 7 A, 20 PTS, +4, .61 PPG, 170* shots

I don't know why they put the * next to it, I can't find anything that explains that... But for 170 shots, 13 goals and 7 assists seems poor.

In contrast, Judd Peterson has 52 shots and 8 goals and 13 assists.

Luke Adam has similar production to Armia: 9 G, 11 A on 67 shots.

My guess is that the 170* shots is an estimate as I can't find expanded stats for Assat anywhere.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:13 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
So, I figured this was as good of a place as any to ask this question:

I haven't personally seen Armia play. But I've heard a lot of people talk a lot about how skilled he is, and how they project him to possibly be a force for the Sabres next year. I did some looking around and found a site that shows our prospects (I'd link it, but I'm not sure if that's allowed here) stats for the current season.

For Armia:

13 G, 7 A, 20 PTS, +4, .61 PPG, 170* shots

I don't know why they put the * next to it, I can't find anything that explains that... But for 170 shots, 13 goals and 7 assists seems poor.

In contrast, Judd Peterson has 52 shots and 8 goals and 13 assists.

Luke Adam has similar production to Armia: 9 G, 11 A on 67 shots.

My guess is that the 170* shots is an estimate as I can't find expanded stats for Assat anywhere.
Based on from Ive read from our awesome Finnish fans, Armia comes off as another Kovalchuk player. When he wants to play he can be very hard to stop. But its his work Ethic and consistency that are questionable which always can be fixed with the right coaching.

IMO, Don't judge how a player is looking at stats only, and don't be high or low on a player when comparing to another player especially if in another league level altogether.

From what I have seen from him, from games and game highlights, he is a player with a quick, hard, and fast snap shot/Wrist shot. He has good skating ability, and his hands are soft when handling the puck. A lot of people appoint him as the next Vanek when it comes to goal scoring.

Closed Thread