HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 500
Also, any deal for Bishop...I would think...would need to have a top 4 dman going back to Ottawa.

With Cowen hurt and Gonchar likely retiring at the end of the year...it's their only glaring organizational need right now.

I bet Tambo calls Murray and he asks for Smid. That's just my guess.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Also, any deal for Bishop...I would think...would need to have a top 4 dman going back to Ottawa.

With Cowen hurt and Gonchar likely retiring at the end of the year...it's their only glaring organizational need right now.

Not going to happen. No way is a backup goalie worth a great top 4 D.

If Murray wants more than he paid for Bishop i'd offer Potter + 2nd or Peckham + 3rd.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
before anyone jumps to conclusions...no I don't want to trade Gagner....

but...

Hypothetically speaking, if Gags were dealt for a goalie...COULD Arcobello project to be a 2nd line C in the NHL?
HIGHLY doubt it but then again you never know.

There are dozens of PPG AHLers who'll never be NHLers let alone be on top 6.
Having said that, Arco is still young and is fast unlike A.Giroux so he has still has some hope to see NHL action as a callup..

Doubt he'll ever by a regular NHLer

Old
01-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Petro Points

Quote:

Yes.. Like Tambo will give up his #1 Dman for a backup goalie.
EDM is already hurting on D. Whitney, Peckham or Potter should be all the D we should be shopping.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Not going to happen. No way is a backup goalie worth a great top 4 D.

If Murray wants more than he paid for Bishop i'd offer Potter + 2nd or Peckham + 3rd.
You are right there. If that's the price Murray wants for what is his #3 Goalie, then Bishop will be a Senator for a long time.
If he wants a D man back its likely to be a 3rd pairing type realistically.

Only thing that makes sense from an Oiler pov is Peckham/Potter + pick.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think what we'll see this shortened season is that competent goalie backups are being overvalued, just like PMD the last few years.

Analysts were saying goaltending would be very interesting this year because many starters hadn't regularly played.

If teams are having net problems and they think they are playoff if not Cup contenders and they talk to Ottawa about Bishop, I'd make them pay too.

Buy low, sell high.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Yes.. Like Tambo will give up his #1 Dman for a backup goalie.
EDM is already hurting on D. Whitney, Peckham or Potter should be all the D we should be shopping.
Whitney will be traded at the deadline.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
A few things.

People are crazy if they think Subban doesn't have a spot on our D. Who cares if Schultz and Petry are both RHD too. Depth isn't a bad thing(as we're finding out right now). The guy is a top young D-man in the league and has the potential to be a top D-man in the NHL and a Norris winner. He's accomplished some really great things in his two years in the league. He'd also have a very good argument for being our best D-man. In season where we're rolling out Potter and an immobile Whitney, Subban would greatly help this D. Assuming we got him without giving up Petry, Smid or Schultz(x2), we could roll out:

N.Schultz-Subban
Smid-Petry

As our top-4 and I would be confident that the group could cope with NHL offenses better than what we have now.

Secondly, in the hypothetical situation that Subban is available(sorry I don't buy it, Montreal isn't dumb) and we're in for him, I don't think it makes sense for this team to trade away any of Petry, Schultz(x2) and Smid. We need to build the D up, not keep it thin in quality. Not saying push comes to shove I wouldn't include any of those guys in the package, but I'd be very hesitant to trade Petry or J. Schultz.

I'd be willing to give up Klefbom + MPS + 1st + no problem. Adding Subban to our current core gives us arguably the scariest young core in the NHL. I'd do everything in power to not add Petry or J. Schultz.

Again I think this is all moot because Montreal won't move Subban. They aren't stupid. Along with Price, he's an elite talent on that team. Contract dispute or not, I doubt they move him at all.
In all honesty, if mont were to trade Subban, It would likely be to the West Conference for obvious reasons. I wouldn't mess around.

Subban and 2013 1st for Yak. Yak will be amazing but we need elite def and an elite center. Not wingers. I dont think Montreal could resist puting the 2 russian rookies together.

**I will add that Monteal could have a top 5 pick this year too

Last edited by jeetz: 01-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
In all honesty, if mont were to trade Subban, It would likely be to the West Conference for obvious reasons. I wouldn't mess around.

Subban and 2013 1st for Yak. Yak will be amazing but we need elite def and an elite center. Not wingers. I dont think Montreal could resist puting the 2 russian rookies together.

Nope..not worth it. A deal centered around Yak maybe, but not with our first in 2013 - would never happen.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Whitney will be traded at the deadline.
I'm not so sure about that. Depends where we sit and how he looks the other 46 games this season.

Even if he was dealt, who do we replace him with at that price?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
OilerFan4Life

Again, I am not saying lets trade Smid for Bishop. Not at all.

I'm suggesting thats Murray's asking price RIGHT NOW.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:

No to trading Yakupov. People here are too eager to give him up. Like I said, Montreal will probably want a D prospect back. We'd have to give them Klefbom + a 1st probably to get in the ball park for Subban.

That said, I don't want Subban. There are other guys we can get that can fill a need at a lower price.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Nope..not worth it. A deal centered around Yak maybe, but not with our first in 2013 - would never happen.
Yuo miss understand. Subban + 2013 pick FOR Yak

Old
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Petro Points

Quote:

**I will add that Monteal could have a top 5 pick this year too
Taking you idea a step further...

Deal 1 : Yakupov + Belanger for Subban + Plekanec
Then
Deal 2: Gagner + Khabi for Luongo

Hartikainen-RNH-Ebs
Hall-Plekanec-Hemsky (Some chemistry already there)

Old
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
frag2

Do people seriously think Yak would be on the table? Barring Crosby/Stamkos/Doughty and that ilk, I doubt he's going anywhere

Old
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Depends where we sit and how he looks the other 46 games this season.

Even if he was dealt, who do we replace him with at that price?
At a 4m cap hit, we can pick up a serviceable 3rd pairing guy for less than that. We are not winning a cup this year and Whitney will want more to come back than we are willing to pay and considering what he offers is not worth it. Might as well get an asset for him.

Obviously that could change if Whitney turns his game around but it is not looking good now.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Do people seriously think Yak would be on the table? Barring Crosby/Stamkos/Doughty and that ilk, I doubt he's going anywhere
I think he's rubbing a lot of people the wrong way because he's Russian.

For whatever reason that annoys people.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Again, I am not saying lets trade Smid for Bishop. Not at all.

I'm suggesting thats Murray's asking price RIGHT NOW.
.......then Murray is deluded imo.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Taking you idea a step further...

Deal 1 : Yakupov + Belanger for Subban + Plekanec
Then
Deal 2: Gagner + Khabi for Luongo

Hartikainen-RNH-Ebs
Hall-Plekanec-Hemsky (Some chemistry already there)
If we didn't have a salary cap I would hesitantly say yes to this.

But brining in another 10 million with a decreasing cap is hard to swallow.
Smid will be making more this offseason. Petry will be making a big upgrade. Nuge and Schultz will be looking for hefty raises when they are done their ELCs.

I love the idea, but the salaries wouldn't work well.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Paralyzer008

Note to self: Do not bring Chemistry into hockey

I wouldn't deal Yakupov right now, but at the draft I was toying around with offering up the pick to Phoenix for OEL, but that was before we landed Schultz. Now I'm unsure.

I don't want Bishop if it takes a first rounder

Old
01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't know why, but I honestly feel that Yakupov could be dealt. I think he's more likely than any of the others. I know we won't give him away but I do think he's the most likely to be dealt.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I don't know why, but I honestly feel that Yakupov could be dealt. I think he's more likely than any of the others. I know we won't give him away but I do think he's the most likely to be dealt.
Probably because he is not a good 'ol Canadian boy. Yak will be just fine.
There was a rumor that Katz vetoed Tambo when Tambo wanted Murray at the draft. Yak is not going anywhere.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
If we didn't have a salary cap I would hesitantly say yes to this.

But brining in another 10 million with a decreasing cap is hard to swallow.
Smid will be making more this offseason. Petry will be making a big upgrade. Nuge and Schultz will be looking for hefty raises when they are done their ELCs.

I love the idea, but the salaries wouldn't work well.
Yak has a cap hit of 3.775M, Khabi 3.75M and Gagner 3.2M for now..

Old
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
jeetz

Quote:
I do not think you could compare Yaks top end value to Crosby or Doughty. They are the best and Center/def.

Stamkos is Different. Top scoring wingers do not make teams winners. they just compliment a very good team making it a great team.

At the age of 22 he has scored 51, 45, and 60 goals in the last 3 years. Those seasons TB missed the playoffs twice and once made it to conference finals riding a hot Dwayne Roli. Oddly enough they made the playoffs the year he scored 'only' 45 goals.

If Yak's VERY TOP end potential is Stamkos, I would do Stamkos for Subban and a 2013 1st, knowing the odds are good it will be a top 5 pick. BECAUSE we have Hall, RNH and Eberle.

Subban's top end is Doughty in my opinion

Old
01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
russ99

I don't see the reasoning behind a trade for Bishop - unless we're starting him, it seems a waste of assets. We already traded our 3rd rounder so i dont see us moving one of our two second rounders in a deep draft for a semi-need now. Especially after essentially wasting a pick on Moroz.

People are overreacting about 2 bad goals and one bad period in net. Doesn't change that the Oilers are going to give Dubnyk every chance to see what they have this year to determine goaltending needs next year. A guy like Danis or a waiver grab like Karlsson are adequate backups.

Closed Thread