HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi's quotes...

Old
06-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Kingz4life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Lombardi's quotes...

“Obviously, we’re giving up an established player in Pavol Demitra -- a very good player -- but in order to set this franchise up for being something structurally sound, I felt we had to make a move such as this and acquire more young assets,” said Lombardi.

“Part of the deal that’s attractive is picking up a kid like Patrick O’Sullivan, who is tremendously talented and has already proven that he can play at a high level in the minors. His play this year in the minors for a player born in 1985 was pretty special. He’s a talented kid and we picked up another first-round choice where we drafted Lewis. Another component of this trade is that we cleared some cap space.”

So, maybe he does plan on spending money? I don't think we need to go into a complete rebuilding mode. This team already has young talented players. I think Lombardi will make some noise in free agency. From my salary cap calculations...we will have about 17.5-19.5 to spend in free agency (44 mill cap) after we take care of our RFA's and everything. That is more then enough for a top pairing d-man and 1st line forward.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Go

The signals are so mixed from management right now that I don't know what to think. That's a good thing, because he's not tipping his hand.
________
no2 vaporizer reviews

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:47 PM
King Blazer

I'm not reading or hearing any mixed signals from management...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk
I am.

First, Lombo said that they weren't going to spend a ton of money on free agents and that they were going to be financially responsible (FINALLY!). Then, he says this trade is good for clearing up cap room. If this is just my misconception, I'm ok with that.

Lombo should be Lombardi's nickname, we need to move away from the initial based ones.

Maybe he is going to sign free agents....but not the big ticket ones.....and maybe he wanted to clear cap space to have the flexibility to make moves later in the season. Not before opening night.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk
I am.

First, Lombo said that they weren't going to spend a ton of money on free agents and that they were going to be financially responsible (FINALLY!). Then, he says this trade is good for clearing up cap room. If this is just my misconception, I'm ok with that.

Lombo should be Lombardi's nickname, we need to move away from the initial based ones.
I must have missed the part about not going to spend a ton of money on free agents...

I did read Foster 's comment that Lombardi said he was going to spend cautiously during the FA period which in NO WAY says he's not going to spend...

Old
06-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I lowered my cholesterol

Old
06-25-2006, 06:09 PM
fuzzerson
ˇÁndele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
“Obviously, we’re giving up an established player in Pavol Demitra -- a very good player -- but in order to set this franchise up for being something structurally sound, I felt we had to make a move such as this and acquire more young assets,” said Lombardi.

“Part of the deal that’s attractive is picking up a kid like Patrick O’Sullivan, who is tremendously talented and has already proven that he can play at a high level in the minors. His play this year in the minors for a player born in 1985 was pretty special. He’s a talented kid and we picked up another first-round choice where we drafted Lewis. Another component of this trade is that we cleared some cap space.”

So, maybe he does plan on spending money? I don't think we need to go into a complete rebuilding mode. This team already has young talented players. I think Lombardi will make some noise in free agency. From my salary cap calculations...we will have about 17.5-19.5 to spend in free agency (44 mill cap) after we take care of our RFA's and everything. That is more then enough for a top pairing d-man and 1st line forward.
I remember a DL quote something to the effect "mole hills became mountains" as to why the kings collasped and "players need to know the differance between playing hurt and playing injured". Wonder if he realized that Pavol was not willing to pay the price and would set a bad tone for the younger players.

Perhaps, this was a move to get rid of a player who is admittedly is not a leader (not a cancer either for that matter) getting young assets and get someone else in the 4.5M slot who will be a leader and mentor to the younger players.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:08 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Let me just point out that free agents aren't the only players with big contracts. If you want to get a younger player that you can build a team around who has already shown that they are going to be very special, you're going to need tradeable assets AND cap room.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Let me just point out that free agents aren't the only players with big contracts. If you want to get a younger player that you can build a team around who has already shown that they are going to be very special, you're going to need tradeable assets AND cap room.

Bingo! The O'Sullivan Trade did both.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
I have a feeling this guy holds his cards much closer to his vest than DT. Don't expect to get too much legitimate information out of Healthsouth until after the move has been announced to the press.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
So, maybe he does plan on spending money?
I've been saying that since yesterday <sigh>. The problem is that too many people have trouble reading, if I may be blunt. They see an article saying "although he would explore the free-agent market next month, he would be cautious in spending the money" and, despite it saying twice that buying is on his mind, they black out everything but "cautious," apply some whacky interpretation to it and conclude that a full rebuild is happening and no free agents will be signed. I suppose that some people just want to appear smart by being the first to connect two dots and proclaiming that the full picture is a dog.

Lombardi is a straight shooter and follows through on what he says. I wouldn't try to read so much into what he says.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I've been saying that since yesterday <sigh>. The problem is that too many people have trouble reading, if I may be blunt. They see an article saying "although he would explore the free-agent market next month, he would be cautious in spending the money" and, despite it saying twice that buying is on his mind, they black out everything but "cautious," apply some whacky interpretation to it and conclude that a full rebuild is happening and no free agents will be signed. I suppose that some people just want to appear smart by being the first to connect two dots and proclaiming that the full picture is a dog.

Lombardi is a straight shooter and follows through on what he says. I wouldn't try to read so much into what he says.

But... he didn't say anything. Thats just generic GM talk. So he is going to be cautious and look at FA. Big freaking deal. Thats what every single GM in the league says....

Besides what UFA would we even care that we signed? Only 3 guys, Elias, Redden and Chara.... You don't really think we are going to go after them now that we dumped Demitra...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:02 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
But... he didn't say anything. Thats just generic GM talk. So he is going to be cautious and look at FA. Big freaking deal. Thats what every single GM in the league says....

Besides what UFA would we even care that we signed? Only 3 guys, Elias, Redden and Chara.... You don't really think we are going to go after them now that we dumped Demitra...
YOU obviously have YOUR 3 guys. Maybe some other folks might have a slightly larger range...

Old
06-25-2006, 09:13 PM
hattrick74

could we be truly following the ducks mold here? trading away higher paid, talented and expensive players to make room for younger players and sign the 1-2 FA's that will make a difference? i mean did anyone think after feds, ruchin and sykora that the ducks would make the playoffs let alone go to the WCF? if you sign the right players they make a world of difference, i think we have young players that can be good, we just need the 1-2 FA's that can make a difference

hattrick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

its not about the big name players, its about the right players

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Malice430

is it just me, or does it not make sense to anyone else that DL would hire a caliber coach like Crawford if he was going to rebuild right now? He could have gotten some hack from a minor league team to coach a team that isnt expected to win.

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
So, even more reason to not panic and not read into it that spending is out of the picture. In a way, you're making my point.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:37 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430
is it just me, or does it not make sense to anyone else that DL would hire a caliber coach like Crawford if he was going to rebuild right now? He could have gotten some hack from a minor league team to coach a team that isnt expected to win.
well wouldn't it be better to have one coach going through the entire process rather then having one coach rebuild and then canning him after a few years and hire someone else?

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
kingsfan25

I see this as a "Burke and Ducks" kind of deal.

The Kings, three years ago, were a team that had stockpiled good young prospects, had some limited post-season success and then, through some FA signings, etc. attempeted to move themselves to the next level.

They failed...mainly due to the injuries. And now they're stalled. However they still have most of those young promising players both on the roster and on the way. So what do you do? You maximize those assets...you cut away the higher-priced FA's and you give the team, by and large to the young guns.

You don't set them up to lose and get you the high draft picks, you just place the onus of winning on them, while bringing in free agent and trade help that will act to compliment and teach them rather than usurp control of the team (ie, "character" players).

After that, it's a sink or swim outcome. If the prospects you've been developing are good enough and are capable of success now, then you can build upon that as it suits you. If they're not, then you sink to the bottom of the league and cash in on some of the higher-end draft picks.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 10:37 PM
braincramp

How can anyone expect that Lombardi should be publicly disclosing his strategy, assuming he has one, at this time? If anything, there are many reasons why he shouldn't:

1. He is making qualifying offers to his RFAs, and probably doesn't want to mess up the negotiations with them by making public statements about the team's future direction.

2. Similarly, he will soon be making offers to UFAs, with the same concern.

3. If his strategy is valuable, he probably wants to conceal it from competing teams. This is especially true if trades of players under contract and future draft picks are in play, as they are.

4. Disclosing the strategy causes fans and the press to thirst for more detailed information, which he may not have. He may only have a strategy.

5. A very explicit disclosure can reduce one's flexibility. It opens this new GM to criticism that he is not being conformal to his plan when he takes some personnel action.

It's clearly time to play his cards close to the vest. Nothing is gained by opening up.

braincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:12 PM
guzmania

Anyone go to Santa Anita? Ever hear of a parlay? DL appears to have bet Demitra on O'Sullivan and Lewis and whoever he can entice with Demitra's dough. 3 or 4 to 1 is a pretty good return. No sure things on a hunch. Fast track to respectability.

IIRC the Sharks always had great 2-3-4 lines and stodgy defense. I expect solid defensemen and exceptional 2-3-4 players in free agency.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote