HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 09:49 AM
syc

vCash: 500
I guess the team he has an "agreement" with is having a tough time trading a player. lol

Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Small sample size, but in a a 48-game season, we'll use it : the oft-maligned Junior B tandem of Scrivens and Reimer have given up as many goals in three full games that all-world goaltender Cory Schneider managed to surrender on 14 shots (or, 26:37, whichever you prefer).

Old
01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
I guess the team he has an "agreement" with is having a tough time trading a player. lol
Again it could be NYI trying to get Vis to comeback to North America first, or Philly is thinking of waiving bryz. There is too many possibilities to really ever call this. We will have to wait a while most likely to see if this statement was true, if we ever find out.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-24-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: No.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post

Again it could be NYI trying to get Vis to comeback to North America first, or Philly is thinking of waiving bryz. There is too many possibilities to really ever call this. We will have to wait a while most likely to see if this statement was true, if we ever find out.
Sure. It could also be that Gillis is full of ****?

Last edited by piqued: 01-24-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: filter
Old
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Sure. It could also be that Gillis is full of s**t?
Nonis speaks: The bible, the koran, the torah, a code of laws, the truth.

Gillis speaks: He could be, and I quote, "full of ****".

If Gardiner and other youth is off the table from Toronto, then what Gillis says can't simply be dismissed with out evidence.

Last edited by piqued: 01-24-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: filter
Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
I honestly think Gillis would as well.
That deal would have been made, if Gillis would have....

Still don't make that deal, 3 games doesn't change my opinion, like many of the sheep around here.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Ballgarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Could be waiting for a player to got off IR "like khabibulin for example" before a trade is made, just using edmonton as an example no idea if gillis has the stones to trade within our conference.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Still don't make that deal, 3 games doesn't change my opinion, like many of the sheep around here.

Bingo. Three games changing anyone's opinion on any player, in a meaningful sense, says more about the poster than it says anything about the player. There is only a fraction of information here. Completely meaningless in the grand scheme.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I've already destroyed by Schneider shrine, which sits next to my smashed Luongo shrine, and put up a Kassian shrine. There is no memory with some people around here...our own flock included.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Sure. It could also be that Gillis is full of ****?
I preffer to wait until I have proof, some GM's don't lie, or use the media with their opinion. IF Gillis starts now it would be a first, so I am going to give him the benifit of the doubt especially when both Lebrun and Dreger believe him.

I think when looking at the media, you always have to look at the source. Some people are very good, Bobby Mac usaully is, but he has as Bleach has pointed out been wrong this entire time with Luongo. Dreger is another great example of a guy who is normally pretty good. But you have to question the info he gets from TO, as it is from family. I think Friedman is very good, and so is Llbrun.

Last edited by piqued: 01-24-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: filter
Old
01-24-2013, 12:42 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Small sample size, but in a a 48-game season, we'll use it : the oft-maligned Junior B tandem of Scrivens and Reimer have given up as many goals in three full games that all-world goaltender Cory Schneider managed to surrender on 14 shots (or, 26:37, whichever you prefer).

You guys should know by now not to be counting those chickens until they're hatched.
Or maybe it's one Luongo in the hand is worth more than a Scrivens/Reimer in the bush. I forget which saying applies.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Petes2424

With the way Schneider played last night, I think some of the uneasy feeling has gone away. Scrivens and Reimer have been pretty good so far and the Luongo thing just still makes no sense for the Leafs really.

I still say it's Washington, Detroit or Tampa..

Old
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
stryfe604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
With the way Schneider played last night, I think some of the uneasy feeling has gone away. Scrivens and Reimer have been pretty good so far and the Luongo thing just still makes no sense for the Leafs really.

Not Tampa...*sigh*

Old
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:

Any GM who makes a decision based on a three game sample size should not be running a team.
Schneider could have crapped the bed last night and it should not in any way influence Gillis' opinion that he is a legitimate starter. Fans may throw a team or player under the bus after three games wor want to erect a statue for them but GM's can't change their views on such scant results.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Has Detroit soured on Jimmy Howard this quickly they are talking about adding Luongo? If true, the Flyers would gladly buy out Bryz in the summer and sign him as a UFA.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Any GM who makes a decision based on a three game sample size should not be running a team.
Schneider could have crapped the bed last night and it should not in any way influence Gillis' opinion that he is a legitimate starter. Fans may throw a team or player under the bus after three games wor want to erect a statue for them but GM's can't change their views on such scant results.
It all depends. We are in a short season. Sample size per game is higher. If Schneider continued to be horrible, that would absolutely change things in Vancouver. I agree with you in every respect except that you're going to see managers overreact this season.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Has Detroit soured on Jimmy Howard this quickly they are talking about adding Luongo? If true, the Flyers would gladly buy out Bryz in the summer and sign him as a UFA.
He's pretty much been their best player so far. Holland is pretty patient and I havent seen anything suggesting they've soured on Howard. I do however have a speculation that the Wings know their D is in big trouble and they might be of the opinion that by acquiring Luongo it may weather the storm a bit while they transition in the next couple of years. They also have the cap to make it happen and they have to make roster decisions once their forwards are all healthy... Which by the looks of things will be pretty quick here. Helm, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson will all be back and they'll have to make a deal or lose a guy as nobody is going to clear waivers.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
vanwest

Quote:
It all depends. We are in a short season. Sample size per game is higher. If Schneider continued to be horrible, that would absolutely change things in Vancouver. I agree with you in every respect except that you're going to see managers overreact this season.
If Gillis made a decision on Schneider based on a short sample size like this then I would be shocked. Successful teams like Boston and LA and Detroit had a plan and they stuck with it. That's the way you build a team. Even in a short season teams who have had success with players in the past should not panic. In Vancouver's case they've had slow starts most years. With Kesler and Booth both out I don't think anyone would be panicing yet.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
If Gillis made a decision on Schneider based on a short sample size like this then I would be shocked. Successful teams like Boston and LA and Detroit had a plan and they stuck with it. That's the way you build a team. Even in a short season teams who have had succuess with players in the past should not panic. In Vancouver's case they've had slow starts most years. With Kesler and Booth both out I don't think anyone would be panicing yet.
Im talking more in the way of moving Luongo. If we went five games in and Schneider was terrible, Id be pretty certain the Luongo angle would definitely point to him staying. At least for awhile. With the way he played last night, I think both fans and management can feel a little better about moving Luongo..

Old
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I preffer to wait until I have proof, some GM's don't lie, or use the media with their opinion. IF Gillis starts now it would be a first, so I am going to give him the benifit of the doubt especially when both Lebrun and Dreger believe him.

I think when looking at the media, you always have to look at the source. Some people are very good, Bobby Mac usaully is, but he has as Bleach has pointed out been wrong this entire time with Luongo. Dreger is another great example of a guy who is normally pretty good. But you have to question the info he gets from TO, as it is from family. I think Friedman is very good, and so is Llbrun.
Not for sake of arguement, but just how long do you wait before you'd admit Gillis is posturing? If a deal was truely in place, it would make absolutely ZERO sense to announce it before it was final. Even moreso when he adds "and not to who anyone thinks" AND "we have to wait". He might as well have said "whoever was interested before better up their offers". What would be his purpose otherwise? What would he possibly be waiting for? If said mystery team has to do something with another player....how long does it take? Said mystery player could be traded....waived...bought out.

This to me was an effort to heat up bidding on Luongo. I could be wrong, just doesn't make sense to announce a done deal before it's done.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Wizeman*

He has a deal in place and is waiting on a player. The deal could have been in place for two weeks now and the player may never arrive, or waive or whatever the situation is.

He never said there was a trade going down the next day. I do believe he has a standing offer but its true he never said it was imminent.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
He has a deal in place and is waiting on a player. The deal could have been in place for two weeks now and the player may never arrive, or waive or whatever the situation is.

He never said there was a trade going down the next day. I do believe he has a standing offer but its true he never said it was imminent.
Then what purpose does he serve to announce it?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:23 PM
T M L

Quote:

Lol. Yup!

I was not impressed with Schneider at all. Reimer had a similar year to his last season before the concussion.

There is Nothing impressive about Van's goalies. Luongo will
Have to be bought out, no one is taking his ridiculous contract.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
JackJ

Quote:

Only angle with the Leafs was a last ditch effort by Burke to save his job. For now Nonis is exempt from that pressure. Next season.....who knows. By the summer Luongo will be long gone.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Lol. Yup!

I was not impressed with Schneider at all. Reimer had a similar year to his last season before the concussion.

There is Nothing impressive about Van's goalies. Luongo will
Have to be bought out, no one is taking his ridiculous contract.
If you're no longer interested in Luongo perhaps it's time to move on.

Closed Thread