HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kassian vs Hodgson

View Poll Results: ?
Kassian 84 35.44%
Hodgson 153 64.56%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
He used to be okay, as you're video reflects, however, his career sharply went downhill late last february, as hockey experts could tell you...

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Steve Bennett*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
LOL.... What hockey experts? You??
Dozens of experts... I could name 14 off the top of my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
By late last february you actually mean when he was traded from the Vancouver Canucks right? LOL
Well it was a big blow to his psychology to be no longer playing for the Canucks. But I know what you're getting at, it's not his fault he was traded...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
He used to be okay, as you're video reflects, however, his career sharply went downhill late last february, as hockey experts could tell you...

This guy doesnt know hockey

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Dozens of experts... I could name 14 off the top of my head

Well it was a big blow to his psychology to be no longer playing for the Canucks. But I know what you're getting at, it's not his fault he was traded...
Dozens of experts huh? How many dozens? 2? 3? Name the 14 off the top of your head and show me where they said Hodgson has gotten worse since coming to Buffalo. Show me anything, video, an article, even a picture of Darren Dreger giving Hodgson the thumbs down will convince me.

What I was getting at is that he was showered with praise by Canucks fans before the trade and after that you would think that he was a piece of garbage. I remember there was some thread on Hodgson arguing how his point production would be even better if he was given more ice time, and all these statistics that Canucks fans provided in an attempt to prove that Hodgson was better than Henrique, Landeskog, etc. If you want to say bad things about Hodgson, say something like 'he broke my heart because he wanted more ice time' don't say stupid things like 'he used to be good but then got worse after being traded from my team'. LOL

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-24-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: not needed
Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I don't understand some of Canucks fans hatred for Hodgson for wanting to further his career cause he was blocked here. I'm happy that arguably the softest team in the league has a guy in the top 9 that can fight and be physically intimidating. I hope Hodgson becomes the #1 centre in Buffalo long-term and becomes all that they want from him, cause Hodgson failing has no effect on how good the Canucks will be, or Kassian for that matter
I don't understand hating Hodgson for wanting more ice time he was clearly deserving of it in Vancouver and also I don't think Vancouver is the softest team in the league especially with Kassian the Flames have 2 plays that are physical in the top 9 and that is Glencross and Iginla.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Why dont fans find the constant need to pump one player and criticize the other? Both have high upside and will be good players.

Hodgson is the better player and imo will be but the is no disrespect to Kassian, he brings an element that the Canucks havent had in along time. Very good trade for both teams.
Your post would have been better if you left it after the first paragraph.

It's way too early to determine who the better player is, what is easy to say, is that both players fit better where they are now.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Your post would have been better if you left it after the first paragraph.

It's way too early to determine who the better player is, what is easy to say, is that both players fit better where they are now.
Its not to early to tell who the better player is right now, in the future sure.

And I agree with the second part.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Hodgson

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I don't understand hating Hodgson for wanting more ice time he was clearly deserving of it in Vancouver and also I don't think Vancouver is the softest team in the league especially with Kassian the Flames have 2 plays that are physical in the top 9 and that is Glencross and Iginla.
The issue was that he wasn't "clearly deserving of it" in the eyes of many. He was still a liability defensively, and the coaches wanted him to work on that before they would trust him in more situations. Rookies should realize that if they can't be trusted defensively they aren't going to be playing top 6 minutes.

I'm not one of the Hodgson haters, and I hope he develops into a true #1 center with our expansion brothers in Buffalo. However I hold no disillusions that Hodgson's defensive performances in Vancouver justified his sense of entitlement as a rookie.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:05 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Jesus ****ing Christ. As a Canucks fan, I know people are excited about having young, "fresh" talent in the line up for the first time since Edler. More importantly, I know some people need to hold on to the idea that we won this trade because trading Hodgson broke their hearts (WJC star, potential captain, etc.) and they need to justify dealing the Christ re-incarnate. (Don't get me wrong, I loved Hodgson and after getting some separation from the deal, bear him no ill will. I hope he succeeds in Buffalo. But some people were nuts.)

However, jumping to the main boards to suck off Kassian's nuts after two games (Next Great Powerforward thread, now this) just reek of insecurity and puts unfair pressure on the player in question. Most Buffalo and rational Canuck fans can attest that Kassian's biggest problem is consistency, meaning that his cold spell is going to look a 1000x worse now that we've taken his two game sample size and blown it out of proportion.

That's all for my rant.

As for the poll itself, it depends on what you want. Once they both mature and figure out their consistency issues, Hodgson will likely score 10-15 more points in any given year (his shot is bananas), but Kassian will provide the physical presence and intimifation factor that Hodgson never will.

It's going to be interesting to monitor these two and compare them down the line. I will say this though, I'm not disappointed in the trade in terms of MG's work. To get a piece like Kassian fully developed is damn near impossible (ask Boston fans what tey would deal Looch for).

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:11 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
^^^^

the "next great PWF" thread wasn't made by a Canucks fan

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post

This guy doesnt know hockey
I don't think it's fair to say Hogson doesn't know hockey, he was good at one point. But that's just my opinion.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Cody is way more proven right now so I gotta go with him. But if Zack can play like he did the past two games consistently, man oh man...

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to say Hogson doesn't know hockey, he was good at one point. But that's just my opinion.
So he's a bum now?

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
So he's a bum now?
the second he got traded he became a bum

keep up

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
So he's a bum now?
Of course. The only way either team does well in a trade is if the other guy is a bum.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
RDRR

Look at Steve Bennett's post history.

Seriously, 'I can name 14 experts off the top of my head' and 'it's a blow to psychology to be no longer playing for the Canucks' didn't do it for you?

Canucks fan said something stupid! He must be serious, now's my chance to get riled up at my least favourite team!

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Art of Sedinery

What is the question? Who has a brighter future? Who is better right now? Who's a better fir with their teams?

Can't answer the question without knowing what the question is.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Zack Kassian, he would be perfect for our top-6.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:38 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Both teams got what they needed and, so far, it looks like both players are working out.

A good equal trade imo.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Todds Chiropractory

Lets not do this

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 586
Quote:

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Kershaw

Kassian easily.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:29 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I'd take Hodgson over Kassian every single time. As someone who has watched Kassian play both here and in Rochester I rarely have been impressed. He's playing with the Sedins twins on first line and receiving power play time...He should easily put up points with 2 of the best players in the league. Buffalo needed centers, Canucks needed grit. We had Foligno who was so much better then Kassian at every single aspect of the game. So Kassian was expendable as he was not really doing much of anything well for the Sabres.
You don't need to put down Kassian to pump up Hodgson.
While I agree that Kassian was underwhelming and highly inconsistent for Buffalo, he has absolutely played well in the early going this year for Vancouver.

I absolutely would not trade back now though, so Hodgson for me. He has crazy high hockey IQ, his skating has improved, and he filled a huge hole on our roster. I think he has the potential to be Pominville as a center, basically, which is a great two-way forward, a good leader, and a consistent top line player. Kassian has plenty of potential too, but I think he's got quite a bit farther to go than Hodgson to fulfill it. He's had a good start this year, but for a kid who had major problems with consistency, I have a hard time banking on it lasting a whole season. I think he will have a lot of peaks and valleys in his play while he continues to develop.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
You don't need to put down Kassian to pump up Hodgson.
While I agree that Kassian was underwhelming and highly inconsistent for Buffalo, he has absolutely played well in the early going this year for Vancouver.

I absolutely would not trade back now though, so Hodgson for me. He has crazy high hockey IQ, his skating has improved, and he filled a huge hole on our roster. I think he has the potential to be Pominville as a center, basically, which is a great two-way forward, a good leader, and a consistent top line player. Kassian has plenty of potential too, but I think he's got quite a bit farther to go than Hodgson to fulfill it. He's had a good start this year, but for a kid who had major problems with consistency, I have a hard time banking on it lasting a whole season. I think he will have a lot of peaks and valleys in his play while he continues to develop.
Of course Kassian is behind in his development compared to Hodgson. He is a year behind.

Last year Kassian was just like Hodgson was 2 years ago. Showed a couple of flashes but also showed he wasn't ready for regular NHL duty. Last year Cody proved he could play significant minutes with a top team and produce. That is exactly what Kassian has done so far.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote