HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
m9

vCash: 500
Brutal. I only go to a couple games a year but I generally watch all of them on TV. Won't be happening this year. Far and away my favorite player, and met him last year and he was extremely nice.

Just beyond pissed off with this move.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Momesso

This is disgusting. Wally Buono is a short-sighted fool.

Geroy is one of the best Lions ever, and the face of the franchise. He should have been kept here and then offered a role in management. He's not any old WR or SB you just throw to any taker.

It's a sad day for the franchise.

I'm not a season ticket holder, but I do go to games regularly, and I'm really pissed.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
The Lions won't see a single red cent out of me this season. You don't treat the best player in franchise history like that. It's disgusting.
This for me too.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Momesso

I've emailed Skulsky. A number of management staff can be contacted:

http://www.bclions.com/page/lions_staff

Old
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Wally's obviously thinking is that the Lion's really didn't skip a beat once both Simon and Bruce were injured and out of the lineup,
until Lulay got hurt.

Kind of sucks but the right business move.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:02 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

calm down guys, i liked simon too but this was purely a football move. simon did not play that well last season and the lions had a good record with out him in the line up

Old
01-24-2013, 02:02 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
guess im in the minority here, but its a business and Geroy Im guessing still wanted a big salary and we didnt have it, especially after Lulay signing..Its always tough for sure though...

I am a massive fan of Geroy...great receiver...great in the community...I guess all I can say is I wish him well....
i agree...but Sask makes it worse...I'll still wear my Simon shirt with pride.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Crows*

I urge all to email the lions and express disgust.

That sound you hear is the caps breathing down their necks.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
luongoisdaman

http://twitpic.com/bxx6vo

SMH.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

Geroy is one of the best Lions ever, and the face of the franchise. He should have been kept here and then offered a role in management. He's not any old WR or SB you just throw to any taker.

I'm not a season ticket holder, but I do go to games regularly, and I'm really pissed.
I'm not sure how this is short sighted at all. Quite the opposite. It's a move to bolster the future of the organization.

Geroy wasn't ready to accept a reduced role as a non-first option receiver. You can't just keep playing him because he has history. The lions have a very strong group of young receivers that need an opportunity.

Everyone needs to get over the idea that iconic players are going to stay with a team their whole career until the very end. That rarely happens in pro sports no matter who it is.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I understand that Wally makes moves solely with the best interest of the team in mind, and doesn't allow emotion to enter the equation. I understand that the money and potential health/age issues and the need to let the young guys get reps and get comfortable takes precedent. The rationalist in me completely gets this move. Wally has done very well with the Lions to this point and given me pretty much no reason to doubt his decision making process yet.

But the fan in me is furious. If there was one time to say "screw what's best, I'm doing what's right", it was with Geroy. He deserved and we deserved to see him retire as a Lion.

Simon doesn't belong in any jersey besides an orange one. Seeing him suit up in Rider green will just be disturbing.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 35 GP, 13-17-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
metric

What is it with Vancouver and trading away face of the franchise or fan favourites? Who was the last player to play their entire career (or at least all of the years that matter with us), Smyl and Passaglia?

Naslund, signed with NYR
Ohlund, signed with TBL
Salo, signed with TBL
Linden, while he did retire here was traded away
Simon, traded
Clermont, signed with Saskatchewan

I know Naslund, Salo and Simon didn't start in Vancouver but their best years were. Should never have played in another uniform. I don't care if it's better for the team. There are times when you just don't trade a player away. This is one of them.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:17 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I urge all to email the lions and express disgust.

That sound you hear is the caps breathing down their necks.
Soccer boring... Football exciting, just my opinion.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
calm down guys, i liked simon too but this was purely a football move. simon did not play that well last season and the lions had a good record with out him in the line up
That's because we were playing the worst defensive team in the league (Hamilton), and a very bad Edmonton team. We barely squeaked by Calgary in a game that our offense let them hang in for far too long (that we almost blew), and we had a pathetic offensive effort against Saskatchewan in the season finale.

01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
What is it with Vancouver and trading away face of the franchise or fan favourites? Who was the last player to play their entire career (or at least all of the years that matter with us), Smyl and Passaglia?

Naslund, signed with NYR
Ohlund, signed with TBL
Salo, signed with TBL
Simon, traded

I know Naslund, Salo and Simon didn't start in Vancouver but their best years were. Should never have played in another uniform. I don't care if it's better for the team. There are times when you just don't trade a player away. This is one of them.
The only name on that list whose value and ability to contribute warranted his retention is Linden's. Even then, the assets we acquired worked out pretty well in the end.

The only reason for keeping any of those other names was sentimentality. Incidentally, it's funny how quickly that sentimentality turns when the player is retained, underperforms his contract, and holds a younger, better player back.

I like Geroy, I wish he could have been retained, but only at a significantly reduced number and role. It appears he was unwilling to accept that. So be it.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
I'm not sure how this is short sighted at all. Quite the opposite. It's a move to bolster the future of the organization.

Geroy wasn't ready to accept a reduced role as a non-first option receiver. You can't just keep playing him because he has history. The lions have a very strong group of young receivers that need an opportunity.

Everyone needs to get over the idea that iconic players are going to stay with a team their whole career until the very end. That rarely happens in pro sports no matter who it is.
To me, it is short-sighted because WB is making a "football move" without thinking of fan and player loyalty, which IMO hurts the team today and tomorrow.

I know Wally is thinking of the future, but wouldn't it help if Geroy was there to mentor and make the younger receiving core earn their minutes?

It's not like we can only play one WR or SB at a time, and I haven't seen Geroy lose his job to a better player yet. If he failed at camp, that's one thing.

And it's not like the Lions can afford to piss off fans, because games are nowhere near sold out. And many are pissed.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post

Naslund, signed with NYR
Ohlund, signed with TBL
Salo, signed with TBL
Simon, traded

This is not something unique to Vancouver. It happens to all teams in all sports. Business is Business

Old
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I don't know how you can justify trading Simon even if it makes your team better, and it's not clear if this trade even makes the Lions better.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Budddy

Ithink he will be back here anyway after his career...coaching role...he is Lion through and through

Old
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Rocko604

Wow. I'm stunned to say the least.

After having some time to digest it, I'm on the fence. I can see both sides of the argument.

He was getting older, and coming off hamstring injuries. Unfortunately not every one is going to pull a Paris Jackson just to stay here. He was looking at a reduced role with the likes of Gore, Taylor, Foster, E. Jackson and Iannuzzi all proving they can play. I'm also kind of intrigued to see what Harper can do with a full training camp. Hopefully Lulay has already spoken to him and is filling him in.

On the other hand...

I felt Geory Simon was arguably the best athlete Vancouver has ever seen, both on and off the field. To me, is up there with Trevor Linden. He loved being here, lived here year round, did a lot in the community and helped us win championships. What more can you say? There should be room for on the team for a legend like Geroy.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

Short sighted? Keeping him here and letting younger players leave or lose opportunity is short sighted.

From what I can tell Buono offered to keep him, but at a reduced rate, but he also gave Geroy the opportunity for him to look for a trade.

Buono didn't trade Geroy like a thief in the night, he was professional, and Geroy wanted money.

Doesn't take away from Geroy's legacy here or Wally's its a tough move, that makes sense on the field and for the future.

I highly doubt Geroy will have ill will for BC here.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
This is not something unique to Vancouver. It happens to all teams in all sports. Business is Business

This is fun.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
This is fun.
I agree

Old
01-24-2013, 04:08 PM
KDizzle

I became a Niners fan in part because of this man:

to see him go to:

to:

Was heart-breaking... not because I hate the Raiders or the Seahawks (I'm indifferent to both) but because it just sucks to lose the face of your franchise to another team.

It's gonna suck to see Simon in a Riders jersey.
I hated it when we traded Claremont... this is much worse from a fan perspectinve. And it's not even like his skills were diminishing that much, either. Bleh.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
I hated it when we traded Claremont... this is much worse from a fan perspectinve. And it's not even like his skills were diminishing that much, either. Bleh.
We released Clermont. He was from Regina and lived there in the off-season. And in hindsight, it was the right move. But yeah, I too was pissed when it happened.

So umm...

Who's going to be our other slotback? Gore (assuming Wally doesn't **** that up) is our only true SB.

Closed Thread