HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Emergence of Other Offensive D-man and Erik Karlsson

Old
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Lyndon Slewidge

vCash: 500
Emergence of Other Offensive D-man and Erik Karlsson

Ekman-Larsson, Kulikov, Schultz... Poor man Karlssons? Or does anybody else stand a chance at accomplishing what our KK65 has?

Discuss.

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
well, florida tried acquiring karlsson's d-partner in hopes that it would turn kulikov into karlsson. So far, it hasnt worked.

01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
SenzZen

OEL

Schultz
Kulikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
well, florida tried acquiring karlsson's d-partner in hopes that it would turn kulikov into karlsson. So far, it hasnt worked.
Pretty sure he's paired with Campbell.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Lyndon Slewidge

True, although the sample size of the pair in 2 games has been revealing, it will be interesting to see how Florida handle's the development of their recent draft acquisitions, the Russian factor has already made an appearance in his career early this season as well.

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Tuna99

Until Karlsson retires I doubt we see a player who can skate with the puck like he can, he's a generational talent and could be the best player in the NHL and he is only getting better.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins the Norris and Hart this year.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Minister of Offence

None of those guys are ever gonna play the style erik can. And that style is why the dynamic of the game swings in our favour, in general, when he's on the ice.

Could they be better players? Maybe. But certainly never the same unique style karlsson can play.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Northern Neighbour

Before Karlsson, there was Mike Green, who averaged over a point a game in back-to-back seasons (73 points in 68 games in 2008-09 and 76 points in 75 games in 2009-10), but injuries have really set him back the past 3 years.

Brian Campbell and Dan Boyle were also very good offensive defencemen in their primes.

Even today, there are players like Kris Letang, Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Edler, and many more who are excellent offensive defencemen. Letang is actually very similar to Karlsson.

And of course, we can go much further back to look at offensive defenceman.

In short, it's not like these are trying to find another Karlsson because teams have always looked to develop or acquire defencemen that can move the puck and produce offence.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Before Karlsson, there was Mike Green, who averaged over a point a game in back-to-back seasons (73 points in 68 games in 2008-09 and 76 points in 75 games in 2009-10), but injuries have really set him back the past 3 years.

Brian Campbell and Dan Boyle were also very good offensive defencemen in their primes.

Even today, there are players like Kris Letang, Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Edler, and many more who are excellent offensive defencemen. Letang is actually very similar to Karlsson.

And of course, we can go much further back to look at offensive defenceman.

In short, it's not like these are trying to find another Karlsson because teams have always looked to develop or acquire defencemen that can move the puck and produce offence.
Letang doesn't and cant play rover. Karlsson does.

It's not gonna be easy finding another player that can roam the ice with wreckers abandon while knowing he can beat everyone back to the defensive end. In game 1 I saw him accept a handful of breakout passes, in game two I saw him in a short handed breakaway. Any other dman try this and thy get burned more than they help the team. Karlsson gets away with it, and he's the only one that can ride that line.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Northern Neighbour

Letang does play a rover position similar to Karlsson. He's not exactly the same type of player like Karlsson, but the two are more similar IMO.

Also, the main point of my post was that the idea of other teams trying to find another Erik Karlsson was short-sighted because NHL clubs have been searching for offensive defencemen for decades. Teams aren't specifically looking for the next Karlsson, just someone who can be a #1 defenceman and contribute offensively. If OEL becomes the next Lidstrom and Shattenkirk the next Bourque, I'm sure Phoenix and Colorado, respectively, wouldn't be complaining.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Letang does play a rover position similar to Karlsson. He's not exactly the same type of player like Karlsson, but the two are more similar IMO.

Also, the main point of my post was that the idea of other teams trying to find another Erik Karlsson was short-sighted because NHL clubs have been searching for offensive defencemen for decades. Teams aren't specifically looking for the next Karlsson, just someone who can be a #1 defenceman and contribute offensively. If OEL becomes the next Lidstrom and Shattenkirk the next Bourque, I'm sure Phoenix and Colorado, respectively, wouldn't be complaining.
Best offensive Dman after Karlsson is probably Piterangelo - best all round for offence, toughness and leadership is probably Doughty.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:35 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Until Karlsson retires I doubt we see a player who can skate with the puck like he can, he's a generational talent and could be the best player in the NHL and he is only getting better.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins the Norris and Hart this year.
That is pretty lofty praise, but I think that you might be right.

We are not very far away from having a legitimate claim to having the best player in the NHL.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

There's a line I could draw between the two. There's a similarity, small, skate well, offensively created and well rounded. But there's an extreme rover style that karlsson gets away with that letang can't. And there's a noticeable difference between the affect karlsson has when he steps on the ice, and what happens when letang does. And although Sid and Malkin have something to do with that, it'd still be noticeable if you swapped the, teams is.

My point is, karlsson does it at a level no one else can get away with. And it's the reason were always on offence when he's on the ice. He can cover 180 feet with a pass at any time, or can do it by himself on any given rush. No one as dangerous...by a margin.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

We are witnessing greatness. Enjoy it.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:59 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We are witnessing greatness. Enjoy it.
This. We are watching a generational talent. Murray might pretend that he knew all along but there is no way anyone expected him to be this good. Otherwise he would have been in the Top 3 of the draft.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
This. We are watching a generational talent. Murray might pretend that he knew all along but there is no way anyone expected him to be this good. Otherwise he would have been in the Top 3 of the draft.
It's possible that we had an inkling.

I personally didn't expect it -- but there's a reason we took him when he was on very few teams' radar.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:17 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

VIKSTRAND AND ANITPIN

Mark it DOWN.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Murray will always be remembered for the Karlsson pick, and for getting Getzlaf & Perry in the same draft of course.

I do remember hearing that it was Anders Forsberg that all but forced Murray to take Karlsson, and that the original plan was to draft Colborne.

Don't know how true it is though.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:32 PM
HavlatMach9

Sorry, doesn't PK, no good. Bad things happen on PK
Gap last year between Karlsson and other offensive Dmen was the same as the gap between offensive Dmen and defensive Dmen. That's pretty remarkable.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Topside

The only defenseman I've seen in person with that same beautiful stride and first step speed is Mathew Dumba. Now, he was doing laps around WHL players whereas Karlsson is doing laps around NHL players, but I definitely think the ability is there. I think we'll be seeing a lot more defensemen in junior leagues trying to emulate Karlsson's style.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Gap last year between Karlsson and other offensive Dmen was the same as the gap between offensive Dmen and defensive Dmen. That's pretty remarkable.
Game 1: 3:03 on the PK
Game 2: 2:56 on the PK

Old
01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
H2O

Won't be a popular answer here but Pietrangelo definitely stands a chance.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I heard he was already better then him.

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Game 1: 3:03 on the PK
Game 2: 2:56 on the PK
Sarcasm John.

So wish he ha potted that self-created break away. Could have used it forever on the main board when people claim he can't PK.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think that Pie and Karlsson will be the elite defenders of the league in a few years. But Pie will be more defensive, and Karlsson will be more offensive. Both will be great on both sides of the ice though

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
I dunno about generational talent but hes definitely an ultra platypus plutonium elite talent.

The only thing holding him back is his defensive consistency.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote