HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Anyone else getting a bad feeling about goaltending?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:11 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Kipper should be packaged off as soon as possible, before people stop believing he's a top goaltender and is just another guy in quick decline with one foot in the retirement home. Get Irving the starts to prove he's ready, one way or another, and prepare for the future without Kiprusoff.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:52 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
^^ Yeah, and **** the usual gift basket, this guy hasn't done **** for this company

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:09 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Kipper should be packaged off as soon as possible, before people stop believing he's a top goaltender and is just another guy in quick decline with one foot in the retirement home. Get Irving the starts to prove he's ready, one way or another, and prepare for the future without Kiprusoff.
I am starting to sense a trend in your posts.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:44 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
^^ Yeah, and **** the usual gift basket, this guy hasn't done **** for this company
The Calgary Flames owe Kiprusoff nothing. They rescued him from obscurity in San Jose and gave him an opportunity other teams were not prepared to afford him. They have paid him millions of dollars to play goal for them. They have accepted his quirks and allowed him to march to the beat of his own drum. They owe him nothing. If they choose to honor his play after his career is over, then they can do that. Until then, they have a business to run and there is no room for sentimentality while trying to run a hockey club. The Flames need to focus on the future that is sadly arriving at their doorstep quickly. They need to prepare and the rebuild and make sure they have the maximum resources available to shorten the time frame it takes. Kiprusoff is still a player they may be able to use to garner a good prospect, but only if they act fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I am starting to sense a trend in your posts.
That I recognize, and have recognized for several years, that this team is a big steaming turd and headed in the wrong direction? That the veterans on this team are in dire need of a change of scenery? That the best players on the team are all under 27, and those that are over the age of 35 are an anchor to the team moving forward? This team is in need of a major retooling. That won't happen as long as management and the fans continue to cling to the crazy idea that players over 35 are the core of the hockey club and worth building around. It's time to move on and start looking toward a new team with new stars.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Checked out the game logs this morning, and Kipper hasn't allowed 4 or more goals in 3 straight starts since 08/09.

Although his numbers against the 'Nucks aren't great, but they're missing some firepower at the moment.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:09 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
The Calgary Flames owe Kiprusoff nothing. They rescued him from obscurity in San Jose and gave him an opportunity other teams were not prepared to afford him. They have paid him millions of dollars to play goal for them. They have accepted his quirks and allowed him to march to the beat of his own drum. They owe him nothing. If they choose to honor his play after his career is over, then they can do that. Until then, they have a business to run and there is no room for sentimentality while trying to run a hockey club. The Flames need to focus on the future that is sadly arriving at their doorstep quickly. They need to prepare and the rebuild and make sure they have the maximum resources available to shorten the time frame it takes. Kiprusoff is still a player they may be able to use to garner a good prospect, but only if they act fast.

That I recognize, and have recognized for several years, that this team is a big steaming turd and headed in the wrong direction? That the veterans on this team are in dire need of a change of scenery? That the best players on the team are all under 27, and those that are over the age of 35 are an anchor to the team moving forward? This team is in need of a major retooling. That won't happen as long as management and the fans continue to cling to the crazy idea that players over 35 are the core of the hockey club and worth building around. It's time to move on and start looking toward a new team with new stars.
But tell us how you really feel

Old
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 50
Quote:
But tell us how you really feel
Don't worry, he'll leave once the Flames start winning.

As for the goaltending situation, hopefully Kipper's shaken off the rust. Looked a lot better last night.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Don't worry, he'll leave once the Flames start winning.

As for the goaltending situation, hopefully Kipper's shaken off the rust. Looked a lot better last night.
Agreed with you there, he looked solid. Not amazing yet but had some very good stops.

Much less worried now.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:18 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Agreed with you there, he looked solid. Not amazing yet but had some very good stops.

Much less worried now.
Everyone freaks after two games for a goaltender who has been fairly elite his whole carerr, then all is fine after one good game.

Especially a postion that is very random over short periods of time, even longer periods.

(sigh)

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Thumper17

I'd like irving to get a start either next game or the one after.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I'm getting the feeling that Kipper is the kind of goalie that gets tense when things open up and knee-jerks his saves rather than calmy positioning himself to provide simpler saves. That first shoot-out attempt was an example as he went down early and didn't have his feet against the posts.

But he's proably shaking off the rust. He was much better yesterday, but still not his normal self.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Everyone freaks after two games for a goaltender who has been fairly elite his whole carerr, then all is fine after one good game.

Especially a postion that is very random over short periods of time, even longer periods.

(sigh)
Kindly show me where I freaked out.

I said he looked rusty through the first two, which he did. That I hoped he would bounce back or we would be in trouble.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
I'd like irving to get a start either next game or the one after.
I don't think the oilers would be the best team to start against they have a ton of fire power and it will be a really open game, I wanted him to start last night as outside of the Twins the Canucks don't have a real offensive roster right now.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that Kipper is the kind of goalie that gets tense when things open up and knee-jerks his saves rather than calmy positioning himself to provide simpler saves. That first shoot-out attempt was an example as he went down early and didn't have his feet against the posts.

But he's proably shaking off the rust. He was much better yesterday, but still not his normal self.
From my experience paying extremely close attention to the way he plays over the last 6-7 years, as I model my own game after his, even though I very specifically tell the kids I coach not to as it is definitely not the easiest style to learn, is that when he is on, which he was last night, his vision is perfect, traffic doesn't matter, he finds the puck, and his positioning is damn near flawless.

Where he runs into trouble as he did in the first two is when he loses his rebounds, because his game is based almost solely on reading the play and reacting to how he believes it will turn out, if he is wrong, or is off his game he can be made to look foolish. This is where he ran into trouble against SJ and ANA, he read the plays poorly, and had no control over his rebounds.

His style of play does not lend well to shootouts because instead of reading the play he must read a single player and react to him. Unfortunately, the downfall of Kiprusoff is unless he knows that players tendencies in shootouts, he pretty well always reacts to the first fake. It's his downfall, NHL players are incredibly good at shoulder and head fakes, and if your not good at seeing them, ultimately you'll fail, just the way it is. One thing you should know about Kipper is he spends more time in the video room than any other goalie in the NHL, he KNOWS the opposition and their tendencies so during the game he knows what they will do before they do it. It's why he's always in position.

I think it was Kassians goal last night where he fanned on the puck then pulled it over and scored, but that's when Kiprusoffs game became sloppy, he knew Kassian would shoot, but Kassian recovered from it faster than Kipper could and scored. From how he played last night, three things he did showed he was playing like we've come to expect, 1) He caught pucks 1 foot in front of his chest before they got to him, even though if it hit him in the chest he could have just swallowed it up. That shows me he was so focused on the puck, that he was going to determine how it played out. 2) Several times he made big saves of large deflections (didn't know how to say it but deflections that severely changed the location of the puck) Goalies only make these saves when they see the deflection as its happening or before, because they happen to quick to react to. and 3) His puck handling, it was cool, confident and crisp, when he is not on his game, it is sloppy, inconsistent, and often rushed, last night he was engaging himself on the breakout and actually looking for deep passes on the Powerplays, that shows me he was confident in his ability and more importantly, in his teammates.

Last edited by Hand of Gaudreau: 01-24-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Sorry about the scrambled thoughts, writing at work, no time to properly edit it.
Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:52 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Kindly show me where I freaked out.

I said he looked rusty through the first two, which he did. That I hoped he would bounce back or we would be in trouble.
You said you were "much less worried now" which means you "were worried". After two games.

Nuff said.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
You said you were "much less worried now" which means you "were worried". After two games.

Nuff said.
We can't be worried that our 36 year old starter might not be capable of carrying us in a new offensive system?

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 01-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.
TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:

Nuff said.
worrying does not = freaking out.

Pick up a book sometime.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
Quote:

That's more "rust" than anything. Kiprusoff is an athletic goaltender who's passive in shootouts. The last couple years, he's gotten better as he became more aggressive, challenging with pokechecks and forcing weak shots into his legs. Last night's Kiprusoff in the shootout looked like 30 year old Kiprusoff.

I suspect as the season wears on, he'll get more comfortable with his system again and will get better.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:11 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
worrying does not = freaking out.

Pick up a book sometime.
I said "Nuff said".

You may want to take up reading comprehension yourself.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:13 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
That's more "rust" than anything. Kiprusoff is an athletic goaltender who's passive in shootouts. The last couple years, he's gotten better as he became more aggressive, challenging with pokechecks and forcing weak shots into his legs. Last night's Kiprusoff in the shootout looked like 30 year old Kiprusoff.

I suspect as the season wears on, he'll get more comfortable with his system again and will get better.
I'm surprised he needs to re-learn everything each year.

Is this common for all players, or just goaltenders, or just the Flames?

Last edited by slappipappi: 01-24-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
BrandonL

Just going to throw it out there, but you guys could always significantly overpay to acquire an established goalie from a division rival...

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:44 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I said "Nuff said".

You may want to take up reading comprehension yourself.
And I don't really care. If you reply to me, I am going to reply to you. Look up the definition of: message board.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Is Irving any better in shootouts? Can't we just sub him in, since Kipper isn't suddenly going to get better at them.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Is Irving any better in shootouts? Can't we just sub him in, since Kipper isn't suddenly going to get better at them.
Well he didn't do that bad last night.

Unless, you expect him to score or something...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
And I don't really care. If you reply to me, I am going to reply to you. Look up the definition of: message board.

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote