HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I'm not talking ticketmaster either lol..

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...monton-public/

It's suprising how many people forget this....

Anyhew...here's the projected seating plan for the new arena. I see lots of top tier seats here:

Just so you know that might not be up to scale. The middle part is not really a separate rung, its loge seating(expensive)

What you see beyond that is just basic second tier. Currently going for very high prices at even Rexall. There is no third public seating tier in the new arena.

I doubt even the second tier behind goal seats will be under 100 game day priced.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hey I love Yakupov. Now talk up Ben Eager and you got something.
Well with the amount of concussions Eager has had, I wouldn't be too surprised if he wandered on to your lawn some night in a post concussed haze.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Just want to re-mention that the highest increase in ticket prices in any arena in the league after renos or building brand new was about 17 percent(and I believe this highest one decreased after a couple years). Replacements estimates of 30 to 40 percent increases are completely without merit IMO.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I split a pair of season seats up in the gallery with a guy who's had the tickets since 79. We get the price discounted down to $31/seat, I'm pretty sure that's the cheapest seat you can get outside of the game day half price off standing seats.
ftr I'm obviously talking per game tickets. Not package priced.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Just so you know that might not be up to scale. The middle part is not really a separate rung, its loge seating(expensive)

What you see beyond that is just basic second tier. Currently going for very high prices at even Rexall. There is no third public seating tier in the new arena.

I doubt even the second tier behind goal seats will be under 100 game day priced.
No comment about the ticket tax huh? I see you also removed the quote i had added...smooth.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Just want to re-mention that the highest increase in ticket prices in any arena in the league after renos or building brand new was about 17 percent(and I believe this highest one decreased after a couple years). Replacements estimates of 30 to 40 percent increases are completely without merit IMO.
Lets not forget just within the last 4yrs pricing has gone up roughly 12% on Oiler tickets.

Spot a 2016-17 opening season and we're looking at probably another 10% increment by 2016. Just factoring in annual increases.

Next, the 17% you mention is usually cited as the amount attributable to a new arena specifically. This increase is an old rink to the new rink specific transition.

Now factor in the estimated 10bucks(this figure has been tossed around as an average) ticket surcharge.

So am I really off here? Sure looks like it'll be in the neighborhood anyway.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its a pretty mature area, I see a lot of seniors around there and a lot of them that do make it out to the library. If you checked that library 20-30 years ago it was full to the rafters. Just like any current area where most of the family populations are. Bonnie Doon is a seniors and adult area now. Not as many kids anymore.

I don't go to NHL games out of principal. We all make our personal decisions. I do support other teams, U of A especially. Eskimos as well. FC Edmonton. I just prefer going to events and hobnobbing with regular folk. Pro hockey is just feeling too much of the ritz for me. I can't relate to the players.
Can't argue that, the bonnie doon/holyrood/ottewell area is pretty much a giant seniors home these days. There was a community vote last year deciding whether or not to keep ottewell road and a couple others at 40km/hr, and there's no chance in hell it would still be that slow if it wasn't for the age of the voters in favor. There seems to be a lot of young families moving into ottewell in the past few years though. Drive around the area at 3:30 and it's a mess of kids.

Getting a bit off topic here so I'll stop after this post, but I really think the need for libraries is decreasing as technology increases. You can find good information on anything online, and things like Kindles make reading books incredibly convenient.

I go to UAlberta games occasionally, and enjoy watching them. I actually know a couple guys on the team, and that makes things a little more exciting. I have gone out and watched the bantam phenom Tyler Benson a couple times, and that's also enjoyable. But I do that for the love of hockey, which is an entirely different thing than my love of the Oilers. I will never be able to feel the same passion for any team as much as I do them.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
No comment about the ticket tax huh? I see you also removed the quote i had added...smooth.
I'm still not sure what you mean. If you honestly think that Katz will honestly downcut to ticket pricing to reflect a northlands levy no longer existing I'd ahve to disagree on that.

Katz will take the 15-16 ticket pricing for last season at rexall as starting point. There won't be any adjustment to reflect Northlands not being in the picture added surcharges will incur as will new ticket pricing structures that are typical in the industry for new arenas.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Here's a cross section:

Stage set up on the end:

And stage set up in the middle:

We've all seen this, we're all obsessed,

Its still a two bowl arena sandwiched with chewy pricey, loge and suites in between.

Trouble with two public tiers only is the second tier will mostly be fairly pricy. I can't imagine one row being in a pricey range and the one behind it discounted. Or certain sections being discounted. I doubt it anyway. Maybe I get really surprised and theres a college section or kids section but I don't imagine that with the full sticker price demand in Edmonton.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I usually stay out of these topics as I don't like politics at all. Hate politics, hate listening to it on the radio, hate watching it on tv.

I am however into entrepreneurship. Katz is a great example of what you can achieve.

Is this deal fair overall? Probably not. Guy has a lot of assets. Buy it yourself if you want all of the revenue right?

Problem is that it is not the precedence. He will get filthy rich off of this.

I am looking more towards it bringing more real estate to downtown, getting the place more vibrant, etc.

It is just an economic shift to me. People and businessmen will shift their dollars towards downtown.

It is not set in stone, but maybe it will help spruce downtown up and I won't have to avoid it every time I have family visit....

Old
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I usually stay out of these topics as I don't like politics at all. Hate politics, hate listening to it on the radio, hate watching it on tv.
Politics is awesome. To each his own.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
You're talking minority, I'm talking plurality.

As it is a very finite amount of people can afford to go to hockey games even if they could get their hands on tickets. With the vast majority of tickets being seasons seats or minpac sales we're not talking opportunity anyway. In a city of 1.2M people how many get to an Oilers game each year?
Geez Replacement. You're trying to be the voice of the mass plurality of people who cannot afford NHL hockey. I'm one of those people who cannot afford an NHL game.

But guess what, I'm not going to beef about how other people can spend their entertainment dollars. Just because I'm not one of them, doesn't mean I cannot find alternative ways to spend my entertainment budget.

You don't have to act like that dude who takes from the rich and gives to the poor...whatshisname....oh yeah:

Old
01-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
I'm still not sure what you mean. If you honestly think that Katz will honestly downcut to ticket pricing to reflect a northlands levy no longer existing I'd ahve to disagree on that.

Katz will take the 15-16 ticket pricing for last season at rexall as starting point. There won't be any adjustment to reflect Northlands not being in the picture added surcharges will incur as will new ticket pricing structures that are typical in the industry for new arenas.
I mean that you thought that the ticket tax was a "new thing". You know, to help pay for this thing as you put it?

Quote:
Are you forgetting about the new ticket tax(you know, to help pay for this thing) or that there will be no "nosebleed" configuration equivalent in the new facility and few cheap seats of any kind to begin with?

Remember I'm including ALL charges. Some will likely be invented in the interim..

If you think top priced tickets are going up 10bucks in the new facility you got the wrong idea. The seating layout is the ritz pure and simple.
Quote:
There's the rub. The ticket tax has been around since Pocklington. It's not new.
Quote:
We're not talking ticketmaster here we're talking ticket tax. The one allegedly funding 125M of the building price. Not sure if we're on the same page here.
I knew exactly what you were talking about, but you apparently did not. The ticket tax was first put into place and given to Pocklington as part of a deal to keep the Oilers in Edmonton. The tax was then passed along to the EIG guys, and then Katz. It's not new in any way, but yes it has increased with the ticket prices. I'm predicting about $5-7million dollars a year are being made this way that will provide that $125 million that would have gone to Katz's pocket otherwise. There is no allegedly here...it is a fact. Trying to hide a piano under a rug isn't going to work out too well for you.

Last edited by Booya42: 01-24-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I mean that you thought that the ticket tax was a "new thing". You know, to help pay for this thing as you put it?

I knew exactly what you were talking about, but you apparently did not.
Do you actually discount that Katz will neglect furthering any reduction to reflect a built in current surcharge? (a negligible amount anyway compared to what the new ticket tax is expected to be.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I don't usually go to games because it's too expensive for me on a regular basis. But I'm perfectly fine with that. If you can fill a +18,500 arena with premium priced seats, it's only a good thing for the team.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:31 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I wear a Katz avatar for a year if I lose. If you lose you sport a Jan Reimer...

The bet is regular priced seating inclusive of all tarriffs an charges will not go appreciably below 100bucks for Oiler games in new facility. Lets say 99bucks because I could see the cheapskates offering that up as a sale price..This is game price tickets btw. not package priced. or seasons seats priced.

Not a hard bet for me either. SRO is currently 62bucks for most games and climbing.

There won't be many cheap seats in the new building. I've researched the designs extensively.
considering the cheapest ticket is now $51, i feel pretty darn confident in my bet.. you're on (i have no idea who jan reimer is though, lol)

Old
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Geez Replacement. You're trying to be the voice of the mass plurality of people who cannot afford NHL hockey. I'm one of those people who cannot afford an NHL game.

But guess what, I'm not going to beef about how other people can spend their entertainment dollars. Just because I'm not one of them, doesn't mean I cannot find alternative ways to spend my entertainment budget.

You don't have to act like that dude who takes from the rich and gives to the poor...whatshisname....oh yeah:
If you been around long enough I do some of that Robin Hood ****.

Countless years ago I lobbied Pocklingtons son (who managed the Edmonton Drillers) to give away 100's of free tickets per game to the indoor soccer club.

I've also talked to the Fath group at length in regards to their ticket pricing and family friendly assessibility for the FC Edmonton product. People like myself have lobbied the Eskimos through the years for the same.

in 05-05 I was part of a lobbying group that resulted in the Oilers succumbing and releasing "family ticket pricing" for 8 regular season games that season. It was partly in response to me listing out all the other benefits, deals, savings, other clubs were offering their fans. Theres a thread on it here. "ticket to ride"

I didn't go through the effort this time and doubted it would be successful if I did. But in 2005-06 thousands of families benefitted through this Oiler lobby. It happened. Just a small difference people can make.

Don't think I just whine and complain here either. I contact my political representatives, even if they don't seem to represent..

Old
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
T-Funk

What is the annual ticket tax price they are looking at.

I saw 1.5million in one article, but that seems low....
Anyways if only Oilers games were taxed, that would be 1.97 per ticket.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Wait, so we're comparing posters to Robin Hood now?

Can I be the Sheriff of Nottingham?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
01-24-2013, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
If you been around long enough I do some of that Robin Hood ****.

Countless years ago I lobbied Pocklingtons son (who managed the Edmonton Drillers) to give away 100's of free tickets per game to the indoor soccer club.

I've also talked to the Fath group at length in regards to their ticket pricing and family friendly assessibility for the FC Edmonton product. People like myself have lobbied the Eskimos through the years for the same.

in 05-05 I was part of a lobbying group that resulted in the Oilers succumbing and releasing "family ticket pricing" for 8 regular season games that season. It was partly in response to me listing out all the other benefits, deals, savings, other clubs were offering their fans. Theres a thread on it here. "ticket to ride"

I didn't go through the effort this time and doubted it would be successful if I did. But in 2005-06 thousands of families benefitted through this Oiler lobby. It happened. Just a small difference people can make.

Don't think I just whine and complain here either. I contact my political representatives, even if they don't seem to represent..
How is it successful, drillers are gone and now road constuction prices are up to make up for the lack of FC revenues.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
considering the cheapest ticket is now $51, i feel pretty darn confident in my bet.. you're on (i have no idea who jan reimer is though, lol)
Wont be $51 then though. Chuck in a few more years of 5-10% increases and you're getting close to $70. It would still take close to a 50% increase to get over $100 but if they completely do away with cheap seats it could happen.

I'm in the camp that doesnt care about ticket price, it's already a luxury. Most people I know get to games through company seats or from friends who cant make a game or splitting season tickets. It's never been a spur of the moment family night of entertainment kind of thing, especially when all the games are available on TV.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Do you actually discount that Katz will neglect furthering any reduction to reflect a built in current surcharge? (a negligible amount anyway compared to what the new ticket tax is expected to be.
I said nothing of the sort. I just pointed out that you were incorrect in saying that the ticket tax is a new thing. It most certainly isn't, i corrected you on it, and you then decided to ignore it like it never happened. Not only that, you inferred that the $125 million coming from the (already existing) ticket tax is only "alleged".

Why is it so hard for you to admit that you were wrong? Don't try and make this about me Replacement, as this is alllll about you - your uninformed comments to be exact .

Old
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Wait, so we're comparing posters to Robin Hood now?

Can I be the Sheriff of Nottingham?
Only if I'm Rocket Robin hood...

BBO can be littlejohn..

Old
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
T-Funk

I don't normally vote on stuff (yeah yeah bad citizen and all that) but I make sure to vote for anyone but Linda Sloan. Too bad it didn't work this time.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:58 PM
ThePhoenixx

I click on this thread in the hopes of reading a good news story and instead have to read 8 pages of Replacement *****ing and moaning.

Closed Thread