HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Despite the score it was a very tepid performance by the Oil Kings.
Just shows how good this team is - they can have an off night and still win 6-1. With Reinhart back and two very strong goalies, the defense is very solid. They have very good scoring and some players who seem to step it up when it really counts. I have high hopes for this team.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
You better temper those hopes a bit. Despite the score they were nowhere near the level they need to be at in the playoffs if they want to have any hopes of repeating.

Despite the firepower and the six goals scored they have had trouble scoring lately. Michael St Croix hasnt scored since December 28th and has three points in 2013.

Laxdall needs to reunite the Foster St Croix Wruck line and he needs to do it yesterday. All three of those players have been struggling. TJ Foster has one goal in January and Dylan Wruck has two.

Three goals from your best three offensive players in a month isnt going to cut it.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:21 AM
JaredCowenFan
#GenieArmy

It was a fun night in Moose Jaw for the Oil Kings. We blast the Warriors, 7-0! We outshot them 38-13. Jarry only had to make 13 saves to record his 5th Shutout of the year. St. Croix, Foster, Lazar and Lowe all scored for us along with a Hatty from Cheek. Cheek also finished with 2 assists, so a 5 point night. Pretty sweet!

That win puts us 3 points ahead of the Calgary Hitmen for the Division/Conference lead. We play Saskatoon tomorrow, on the road.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

And Edmonton continues to ignore this team in favour of the "Pro" team **** show. A damn shame.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:49 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
It was a fun night in Moose Jaw for the Oil Kings. We blast the Warriors, 7-0! We outshot them 38-13. Jarry only had to make 13 saves to record his 5th Shutout of the year. St. Croix, Foster, Lazar and Lowe all scored for us along with a Hatty from Cheek. Cheek also finished with 2 assists, so a 5 point night. Pretty sweet!

That win puts us 3 points ahead of the Calgary Hitmen for the Division/Conference lead. We play Saskatoon tomorrow, on the road.
Two of Cheek's goals were pretty iffy and probably shouldnt have counted. Horrible officiating. Great effort though. Moose Jaw is a sorry team these days.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
And Edmonton continues to ignore this team in favour of the "Pro" team **** show. A damn shame.
Oil Kings are drawing pretty good numbers this year. Many, and dare I say most of the fans dont care about the Oilers or the NHL. They are Junior/WHL/Oil King fans and that's it.

Pretty good hockey and a much better value.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Oil Kings are drawing pretty good numbers this year. Many, and dare I say most of the fans dont care about the Oilers or the NHL. They are Junior/WHL/Oil King fans and that's it.

Pretty good hockey and a much better value.
Yeah. The NHL/Oilers fans didn't show up until late in the Oil Kings' playoff run.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:00 AM
I am the Liquor

Prince George Cougars fire head coach Dean Clark.

http://www.whl.ca/article/cougars-re...-as-head-coach

Old
01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Prince George Cougars fire head coach Dean Clark.

http://www.whl.ca/article/cougars-re...-as-head-coach
Can they fire the owner and GM too?

That franchise is a mess right now.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Laxdall needs to reunite the Foster St Croix Wruck line and he needs to do it yesterday.
I actually disagree a bit with this. Yes, they have been very effective together but I think there is some concern with having them together heading into the playoffs. It's a bit like St.Croix + Wruck + Maxwell last year who were invisible in the playoffs after a strong regular season. (I get that Wruck got hurt in the second series).

I think they are trying to get some chemistry going with those guys NOT playing together because they won't be able to beat CGY if the only guys who show up in the playoffs again (offensively) are Samuelsson + Lazar + Legault.

01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
I actually disagree a bit with this. Yes, they have been very effective together but I think there is some concern with having them together heading into the playoffs. It's a bit like St.Croix + Wruck + Maxwell last year who were invisible in the playoffs after a strong regular season. (I get that Wruck got hurt in the second series).

I think they are trying to get some chemistry going with those guys NOT playing together because they won't be able to beat CGY if the only guys who show up in the playoffs again (offensively) are Samuelsson + Lazar + Legault.
I get what he is trying to do, but it is killing his best offensive players. St Croix never "disappeared" in the playoffs, he was tied for the team lead in scoring with Lazar. Tyler Maxwell was noticeably absent from where I sit. The talk around other STH's that I talk to has centered around this topic for a while now.

Sure Laxdall probably doesnt care too much what happens right now, and this is the time to try stuff like this, but it isnt working and I dont think it is going to work. You still have Legault, Lazar, Samuelsson, Moroz, Ewanyk, Cheek to provide scoring up front "if" Foster St Croix Wruck goes dry. Theyve pretty much gone dry for the last month anyway.

Im not too worried about Calgary. Im more worried about running into a hot goalie like Bartosak or Lanigan. Kootenay scares me too.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:

I always like your insight Guy. Have you seen much of the western conference this year? In my limited viewings of portland this year, I'm a lot more afraid of Calgary than I am portland. I think they have inflated numbers due to weak competition, which I also think will sink them in playoffs when facing adversity, but I degress: The questions I have for you is, am I out to lunch in my opinion? (i've only seen the winterhawks on shaw)

Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I am the Liquor

Edmonton up 3-1 after the first over Saskatoon. Shots are 19-7 for Edmonton.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
You better temper those hopes a bit. Despite the score they were nowhere near the level they need to be at in the playoffs if they want to have any hopes of repeating.

Despite the firepower and the six goals scored they have had trouble scoring lately. Michael St Croix hasnt scored since December 28th and has three points in 2013.

Laxdall needs to reunite the Foster St Croix Wruck line and he needs to do it yesterday. All three of those players have been struggling. TJ Foster has one goal in January and Dylan Wruck has two.

Three goals from your best three offensive players in a month isnt going to cut it.
Still feel this way, Liquor? I've always felt they are the league favourites.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Still feel this way, Liquor? I've always felt they are the league favourites.
Yes, nothing has changed on the Foster St Croix Wruck front. Portland and Kelowna could be considered favourites. Edmonton wouldnt be imo at this point in time.

Saskatoon turns the tables in the second and carry the play in the second out shooting the Oil Kings 13-10. Pretty good game. Still 3-1 Edmonton after 2.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Yes, nothing has changed on the Foster St Croix Wruck front. Portland and Kelowna could be considered favourites. Edmonton wouldnt be imo at this point in time.

Saskatoon turns the tables in the second and carry the play in the second out shooting the Oil Kings 13-10. Pretty good game. Still 3-1 Edmonton after 2.
Fifty bucks? I'll take the OKs and you can take any other team?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
I always like your insight Guy. Have you seen much of the western conference this year? In my limited viewings of portland this year, I'm a lot more afraid of Calgary than I am portland. I think they have inflated numbers due to weak competition, which I also think will sink them in playoffs when facing adversity, but I degress: The questions I have for you is, am I out to lunch in my opinion? (i've only seen the winterhawks on shaw)
There is no question that Portland is a high caliber team but it's also fact that they play weak teams like Everett and Vancouver and Seattle A LOT.

They are very good though, as is Kelowna and Kamloops if they can regain their game.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Fifty bucks? I'll take the OKs and you can take any other team?
Why would I do that?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:27 PM
I am the Liquor

Oil Kings win 4-2 in a highly entertaining game. Final SOG 36-33 in favour of Edmonton. Reinhart with a pair of goals, Samuelsson with a goal and an assist, Musil with a goal and a very strong game. Brossoit was very good to keep the Oil Kings out in front.

Next up is Brandon at Rexall on Saturday night for championship hat night. That's better than the BOA right?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
There is no question that Portland is a high caliber team but it's also fact that they play weak teams like Everett and Vancouver and Seattle A LOT.

They are very good though, as is Kelowna and Kamloops if they can regain their game.
They also play good teams like Tri City, Kelowna, Kamloops and Spokane a lot. Portland is for real. Edmonton goes on the road to play them at the end of February so we will get to see what's what then.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
JaredCowenFan
#GenieArmy

The Oil Kings get back on track with a nice 4-2 win tonight in Saskatoon. They string a couple wins together and get back to that Oil Kings Hockey. Musil and Samuelsson added goals and the "Big Cat" Captain Reinhart puts home 2. Brossy was solid stopping 31/33 shots. Just overall a great game. Big win as we jump 5 points ahead of the Hitmen for the Division/Conference title!

We get a couple days off and then have a home game VS. Brandon on Saturday.

Cheers!

Old
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Why would I do that?
Because you don't think they'll repeat. Perhaps you don't want to bet against your team, and that's perfectly acceptable. But I've made quite a bit of money betting against the Oilers the last two seasons.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Because you don't think they'll repeat. Perhaps you don't want to bet against your team, and that's perfectly acceptable. But I've made quite a bit of money betting against the Oilers the last two seasons.
First off I never said they wouldnt repeat. I never said they would either.

Im not betting against my team.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
First off I never said they wouldnt repeat. I never said they would either.

Im not betting against my team.
I inferred from the comment below that you think they're unlikely to repeat. Maybe that was not your intent, I dunno.

Quote:
.....Despite the score they were nowhere near the level they need to be at in the playoffs if they want to have any hopes of repeating.
I do understand not wanting to bet against the team you cheer for.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I inferred from the comment below that you think they're unlikely to repeat. Maybe that was not your intent, I dunno.
That was my opinion of their play at home last week. They seem to be playing better on the road for some reason.

Closed Thread