HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVIII - "Watch out for that Tree"

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Fidel Astro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
This team needs to move ASAP..embarassing turnout for their second home game of the year. What are the excuses now from Coyotes fans. Please enlighten me.
It'll probably be the usual garbage excuses and whining they've been doing for years. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. If I was a Coyotes fan, I'd be completely embarrassed at this point.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

No matter how this ends up, I'm flabbergasted it's gone on this long in general.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Definitive in the notion that Jan 31st is the deadline only. And, if seemingly definitive, why the rest of the tweets with hints of reservation?
Agreed, it's only pertaining to the deadline - then she sprinkles the rest of her tweets with 'beliefs'.

Still, saying we'll "never hear 2 more weeks again!"......have we heard that somewhere before?

Old
01-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Wait a minute... Remember Scruggs waving her cell phone at Jamison and telling him how she had repeatedly received text messages from Beasley assuring her that Jamison had the money?
Actually no, I never have bothered watching Glendale's Council Meetings, but is that correct? I remember reading how he'd flatly refused to name his investors, not even in-camera or as its called in Arizona "Executive Session". That in and of itself should have been enough to have ended any and all negotiations with the guy, the deal ripped up and an Invoice sent to the Jamison Entertainment Group for hundreds of thousands in legal fee's including staff hours for various Glendale employee's time....

Old
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
I noticed this one:

Seems pretty definitive, so maybe there won't be any extensions granted and we'll know one way or the other what happens if this reaches Feb. 1st.
Joyce may have access to information we don't at this point, but she's now the proverbial toothless tiger. No more power over the process than the rest of the twitterverse not that she has no vote, unless she's secretly weathy and is the mystery investor

Old
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Actually no, I never have bothered watching Glendale's Council Meetings, but is that correct? I remember reading how he'd flatly refused to name his investors, not even in-camera or as its called in Arizona "Executive Session". That in and of itself should have been enough to have ended any and all negotiations with the guy, the deal ripped up and an Invoice sent to the Jamison Entertainment Group for hundreds of thousands in legal fee's including staff hours for various Glendale employee's time....
Glad to see the faithful have caught on to this fraud! But don`t blame GJ , he was put up to this by GB, who assured him he would have his back and that there would be ample opportunity to get out somewhere along the way. The best chance came and went when the COG approved the new AMF, both GB and GJ never in their wildest dreams thought that would occur. But it did and old Gramps was forced to continue the charade for a while longer until the 31st. By that time the new Council would have finally realized that they were not dealing with a whole lot of truth in GJ. Final act for the Council is to not extend the AMF, let GB and his band of thieves suffer the lame duck shortened season. Funny thing is last nights crowd, as small as it was is an indicator that the vast majority of fans have seen the light, they know this is a fraud by GJ and GB and bad policy by COG. Turn out the lights time to move on to QC or Seattle!

Old
01-24-2013, 02:58 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
Has he ?
Yes he in fact has.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ment-deal.html

the stipulation being he has to close the purchase with teh NHL by Jan 31.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yes he in fact has.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ment-deal.html

the stipulation being he has to close the purchase with teh NHL by Jan 31.

ya might wanna read that article again

Old
01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post

ya might wanna read that article again
Sorry. Try this one then:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1310421

Or here:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/359559...ts/player_news

Old
01-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Well, we might have another candidate emerging for a Title Thread, courtesy of the ever voluble and crusty Joyce V Clark:

Phoenix LXIX: And in this corner, Greg "The Tortoise" Jamison.

I'm not sure that characterizing Greg in such terms is particularly flattering, given his rather doddering approach and demeanor, but whatever...
Isn't it strange how races (Tortoise/Hare/Jamison the Track Runner) and trees (Jamison Track Team focal points and the unfortunate Fallar mishap) are correlating?

Old
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
ya might wanna
read that article again...
Ya, cheswick, last paragraph,
article of December 27th, 2012;

"Jamison has until the end of next month to buy the
Coyotes and
ink his signature line on the arena deal".

Mike Sunnucks
Phoenix Business Journal

... then later theres an announcement that he did sign off on it, however, that only matters & takes effect if he buys the franchise. So really, the signatures worthless until that time.

Last edited by Killion: 01-24-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 03:19 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Ya, cheswick, last paragraph,
article of December 27th, 2012;

"Jamison has until the end of next month to buy the
Coyotes and
ink his signature line on the arena deal".

Mike Sunnucks
Phoenix Business Journal
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Sunnucks being dumb. Thinking the lease was only signed by one counterparty and Jamison waiting to buy the team before he can sign off on it.

They both would have signed off on it in the presence of a witness. See the Shannon tweet I linked to above.

Regardless, it's semantics. The lease agreement is settled. All that remains is the sale.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Yup... Scruggsy looked Jamison in the eye and waved her cell phone (maybe it was a Blackberry ) and said that she had received several text messages over the past several months from Beasley assuring her that he (Jamison) had the money. She wanted to know if he had the money (along with a request to name his investors). Finally, Jamison stammered something to the effect that he hadn't sent the messages. He also flatly refused (again) to name his investors.

It was "Theater of the Absurd", even for this saga.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
So good, it's stupid!

Quote:
Looking at George's twitter feed picture & accompanying explanation, seems he pulled a Sonny Bono up at Tahoe. Total Faceplant. Didnt "Look out for that tree" and tried to kiss one doing a buck sixty on a pair of Rossignol Runaways... Sure hope he wasnt riding around Heavenly Valley on a cocktail of Vicodin, Valium & Vodka like the now deceased Senator. Ive tried it, and Im an expert skier. Pretty hairy. Good job I have absolutely no memory of the experience whatsoever.
It explains so much...

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Sunnucks being dumb. Thinking the lease was only signed by one counterparty and Jamison waiting to buy the team before he can sign off on it.

They both would have signed off on it in the presence of a witness. See the Shannon tweet I linked to above.

Regardless, it's semantics. The lease agreement is settled. All that remains is the sale.
There's your problem...

You have to realize that John Shannon is an idiot, a bimbo posing as a reporter. There was never a detail that Shannon couldn't overlook...

What the actual event was, was Glendale signing the lease agreement, effectively taking it out of the new council's hands. Jamison can't sign it until he's bought the team, and he can't buy the team until the board of governors approve of the sale. So he's really up against the wall now...

Old
01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
I hate the discussions about attendance... passť.

But the general theme that there has been a somewhat consistent pattern of misrepresenting aspects of the financial issues related to the Coyotes in Glendale seems relevant for a discussion on a "Business of Hockey" board.
Whilee..... I'm not saying it isn't relevant. But if we're going to discuss talk business then let's talk business. Not waste bandwidth with drive-by posts full of snide remarks.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

What I know about Greg Jamison is that he's a very well respected senior sports executive type, having run franchises at different times, in the NBA & NHL, that also included stints on these leagues' Board of Governors representing his owners. Though he's probably a wealthy man relative to the average person, I don't believe he has attained super-rich status -- typically a prerequisite for pro-sports franchise ownership.

Do we have any indication yet who he has recruited as his lead investor with regard to purchasing the Coyotes?

01-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Glad to see the faithful have caught on to this fraud! But don`t blame GJ , he was put up to this by GB, who assured him he would have his back and that there would be ample opportunity to get out somewhere along the way. The best chance came and went when the COG approved the new AMF, both GB and GJ never in their wildest dreams thought that would occur. But it did and old Gramps was forced to continue the charade for a while longer until the 31st. By that time the new Council would have finally realized that they were not dealing with a whole lot of truth in GJ. Final act for the Council is to not extend the AMF, let GB and his band of thieves suffer the lame duck shortened season. Funny thing is last nights crowd, as small as it was is an indicator that the vast majority of fans have seen the light, they know this is a fraud by GJ and GB and bad policy by COG. Turn out the lights time to move on to QC or Seattle!
I recall remarking just after the fateful council meeting that Jamison seemed almost half-hearted in his advocacy with city council. He kept saying that he knew how difficult a decision it was for them, and seemed to imply that he would understand and have no hard feelings if they turned him down. Part of it was probably acting the gentleman, but I also had the sense that his heart wasn't really in it. His interview just afterward confirmed that impression for me.

I think he has been sincere in his efforts, but without having the NHL relent and give him a real break on the purchase price, it has been an uphill battle. I will applaud him sincerely if he pulls this off.

Last edited by Whileee: 01-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
Thank you for addressing this. It's something that has always confused me about the whole situation. There seem to be a lot of Coyotes fans that are under the impression a "new owner" will instantly change the team's fortunes, with no real explanation as to how that's going to happen, other than a vague "it'll be advertised better."
"Seem to be"?? You presume too much. We're all pretty aware down here things aren't going to flip 180 degrees overnight.

And I've been quite clear for months that Jamison is going to have his work cut out for him if he finalizes the sale and takes over.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
So good, it's stupid!

There's your problem...

You have to realize that John Shannon is an idiot, a bimbo posing as a reporter. There was never a detail that Shannon couldn't overlook...

What the actual event was, was Glendale signing the lease agreement, effectively taking it out of the new council's hands. Jamison can't sign it until he's bought the team, and he can't buy the team until the board of governors approve of the sale. So he's really up against the wall now...
If the two sources are Shannon or Sunnucks, I'll take Shannon any day. The nonsense that Sunnucks has writtern far outweighs anything by Shannon.

Not sure why you think Jamison can't sign it til he takes control of the team. There's specific language in the agreemnt sayign it will only take effect once he controls the team. Such language would be redundant if he could only sign it after such a point anyway.

And like I said ealier. It's semantics either way. The lease is agreed upon. It's not a stumbling block.

Edit: Joyce Clarke responded to Shannon tweet saying that Jamison would sign the document once he received them from the city. ie no need to complete sale prior to signing

Last edited by cheswick: 01-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Whilee..... I'm not saying it isn't relevant. But if we're going to discuss talk business then let's talk business. Not waste bandwidth with drive-by posts full of snide remarks.
I agree with you... the constant barrage on attendance is a bit stale.

Maybe there should be a separate thread just for folks who want to post and view pictures of the inside of the Jobing.com during a hockey game. It'd be like a Peep Show.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
If the two sources are Shannon or Sunnucks, I'll take Shannon any day. The nonsense that Sunnucks has writtern far outweighs anything by Shannon.

Not sure why you think Jamison can't sign it til he takes control of the team. There's specific language in the agreemnt sayign it will only take effect once he controls the team. Such language would be redundant if he could only sign it after such a point anyway.

And like I said ealier. It's semantics either way. The lease is agreed upon. It's not a stumbling block.
it's not a stumbling block if he a) buys the team before he signs the lease, and b) he signs the lease before january 31st.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Most teams do it to secure that extra layer of legitimacy of their tix (fraud prevention) as well. I went back and found the article I read about the Sens and StubHub

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz2IudRhnDn
According to the text you quoted.... the deal is for facilitating aftermarket sales. As in tickets the team has already sold but the buyers can't use. There is nothing in that clip that indicates the team itself puts unsold tickets out.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
yes, tell us, they all blocked me because they hate me so much
Yeah but you have others feeding them to you.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Coming off a WCF appearance are you seriously going to blame the attendance on not having an owner. How many times are Coyote fans going to use that as a crutch.. pathetic. How about getting off the message boards and going to some games once and a while. Honestly how many more years do we have to watch on television chunks and chunks of empty seats. Tickets are like 4 bucks lol if you're a hockey fan how do you beat that deal.
He does attend games.

How about apologizing now??

Old
01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
it's not a stumbling block if he a) buys the team before he signs the lease, and b) he signs the lease before january 31st.
Not sure what his rationale would be to not sign the lease he agreed upno when the city already has, and forwarded him the papers to sign.

Closed Thread