HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - Edition 6.0 - #BlameSubban

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Perhaps PK is stubborn and Meehan is trying to prevent him hurting his career.

So he's actively working against his client's wishes?

Very doubtful.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Chris Chelios, Eric Desjardins, Andrei Markov, Ryan McDonagh, and PK Subban.

The only homegrown #1 dman we have kept is Andrei Markov, and he's the one that in hindsight, we never had any chance to win a cup with.

lol.
Ugh, thanks for that. Great memories...

You *******! lol

Old
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I wouldn't want Yakupov he has been showing that he plays for himself not the team which is never good. He reminds me of Yashin that way.
There's going to be some good material to quote in these threads in five years:

- Subban is a 2nd pairing Dman who take teams to last place when he is a first pairing D.
- Yakupov isn't worth having.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He was a great captain. One of our best captains in a long time.

That being said, he was a mediocre (voir: bad) coach, and isn't a great analyst.

I don't dig the shot at him for being a captain though. He wore his heart on a sleeve for Montreal and worked his butt off every shift.
Very true. He's not the best analyst but god was he nice to see on the penalty kill. I doubt he would intentionally mislead though.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Yakupov is a "non-team player" now too?

lololol

Hockey fans are just...awesome.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
EveryDay

Daddy's will be really mad at you PK!!!!!!

Old
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
So he's actively working against his client's wishes?

Very doubtful.
Maybe not working against him actively, but rather trying to steer him in a direction he thinks he can get a deal done.

Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

lololol

Unless you are a good Canadian white kid or Scandinavian... you are a non-team player with attitude problems.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Very true. He's not the best analyst but god was he nice to see on the penalty kill. I doubt he would intentionally mislead though.
All rumours aside, he was dominant for what he did.

Remember how he owned the face off circle?

He must have had a 65% win rate on the face off circle. One of the best in the game's history IMO.

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Chris Chelios, Eric Desjardins, Andrei Markov, Ryan McDonagh, and PK Subban.

The only homegrown #1 dman we have kept is Andrei Markov, and he's the one that in hindsight, we never had any chance to win a cup with.

lol.
McDonagh is not an established number 1 dman.

Old
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Unless you are a good Canadian white kid or Scandinavian... you are a non-team player with attitude problems.
Don't forget enigmatic.

Russians are so enigmatic.

Old
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Ask the guys in Nashville how they truly felt with Rads holding out on them and then coming back. He is not held in high regard this actually will hurt his room presence more than many may think.
They probably would have a better opinion of him if he delivered when he came back. That said, the situations are different in way too many aspects to be comparable.

Old
Kriss E

Quote:

lololol

Yes, he played 2 Games and a total of 32:44 minutes in the NHL but he's already a ''I'm bigger than the team'' player, like Yashin at some point.

2 freaking games in...

Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
McDonagh is not an established number 1 dman.
o.... k

Old
01-24-2013, 02:52 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
As much as i hate Subban holding out, he's more than a solid top 3 dman. He's a solid 1st pairing D. He doesn't compare with the odd 90 top defensemen in the league. He compares with the top 30-40 dmen. That makes him borderline solid #1 D.

People actually have a very short memory, as there are things that Subban has proven, that guys like Benn and others haven't proven yet. Playoff performance. People seem to have forgotten how Subban frustrated pre-concussion Crosby into a hissy fit in the 2010 playoffs. And those goals against Boston, arguably the best Dman in that series not named Chara.
Sorry - you're probably right that he's proven to be a solid top 2. I don't think he's proven to be a great 2nd D though. He hasn't broken 40 points yet, and only scored 7 goals while having top icetime.

Honestly, I'd sign him for 2 years $4.5m, no questions asked. I love PK and want him on the team.
If we can't sign him though, I'd be absolutely thrilled with Benn, but think we'd have to throw something else in the mix to make up the difference.

Old
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Maybe not working against him actively, but rather trying to steer him in a direction he thinks he can get a deal done.
Yeah I get what you are saying, but I just think it's far fetched that he would go against his clients wishes. That's really not Meehan's style.

Old
Jigger77

Quote:
All rumours aside, he was dominant for what he did.

Remember how he owned the face off circle?

He must have had a 65% win rate on the face off circle. One of the best in the game's history IMO.
Yep. That and his penalty killing...beautiful to watch. Made it look easy.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Don't forget enigmatic.

Russians are so enigmatic.
-They have no heart.
-They don't care.
-They only care when they play for Russia.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't get why people assume we'd lose a trade if we send PK somewhere. I guess it must be the ol pessimistic 'habs can never have it good for ANYTHING'.

Kessel got traded and no one can actually say Boston lost that trade and the big difference is that Boston didn't have the money to sign him, nor could they have matched a big offersheet without having to trade someone else. Both these things the Habs CAN do which Boston couldn't. A good GM could get a lot by trading Subban. If we trade him and don't get close in the deal or actually get the upperhand, that would tell us a lot on Bergevin's bargaining skills.

I'm starting to feel that MB is all pretty cliché smiles for photo ops, but not much substance. What will happen with Subban in the coming days and weeks will tell us a lot about MB's actual abilities as a GM.
agree for the most part...

the Kessel trade, and how successful it was for Boston, hinged largely on the subsequent ineptness of the maple leafs AND the quality of the draft classes (at least in the top-10) that they got the picks in...

and it also helped that the B's were already in a roster situation that meant they could absorb the loss of Kessel while still remaining just as competitive, without getting immediate dividends from the assets they acquired in trading him (and as you point out, probably benefited them in freeing them from the cap crunch they'd have been in by trying to retain kessel).

Habs without Subban take a serious step back (and given the amnesty buy-outs, the 4.5-6M$ they would "save" by not keeping him, isn't as much of a need), and I don't see how they replace him in the near future either internally or via UFA... 25min/night all-situation dmen are extremely hard to come by, and certainly not for sub-6M$.

as far as assuming we will "lose" the trade, aside from the potential of ending up with lesser asset(s) by screwing up the deal (MB wouldn't be the first rookie GM around here to screw up his first big trade, sadly), the situation itself lends itself to higher odds of setback.
landing a top-3 & a top-10 pick (+ another top-40 pick) would be hard enough, ensuring that those picks turn into the quality of Seguin/Hamilton/Knight, even tougher.

we'll have to wait and see, of course, but one thing I think almost all can agree on is that the best case scenario is for Subban to remain a hab for a long time... and that seems less and less likely with each passing day

Old
01-24-2013, 02:54 PM
FinnHab

Detroit needs good D-man, one possible trading partner for Habs if this Subban-drama ends ugly.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
OMG I am so sick of athletes that want it all. PK is a good player, he is not a great one and taking a 2 year bridge deal sends a message to the team and fans that he will do whats best for the future of the team. I am so sick of this,take the deal and just shut up and play.
NHL isn't a non-profit organization. This is a business. This "team first" is on the ice, in the locker room, while they play the GAME. Teammates know better then to mix the business aspect with the 'game' aspect. and everyone should too.

Just like whatever the f*k prust said during the lock-out, and half the fan-base asking for him to get stoned, 13th century style, has no bearing on the game itself nor does it change anything in what prust brings to the team.

take a lesser salary, to send some "message" of "team first"... gimme break, bunch of you live in lala-land.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
haburger

what if chuckie sticks this year and puts up 20 goals next yr and 28 the next?he would command LARGE dollars.mb gonna pull the same garbage?or will he have been fired by then?

Old
01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
o.... k
McDo is absolutely not a #1 D-man. Is he a great complement to a first pairing? Sure - though I'd argue 'good' rather than 'great' at this point.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, he played 2 Games and a total of 32:44 minutes in the NHL but he's already a ''I'm bigger than the team'' player, like Yashin at some point.

2 freaking games in...
Typical Russian (who has been playing in Canada for several years, and loves it here)

Old
01-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
what if chuckie sticks this year and puts up 20 goals next yr and 28 the next?he would command LARGE dollars.mb gonna pull the same garbage?or will he have been fired by then?
He's already signed to a 3year ELC. Theres still a long way to go . MB might not be the GM at that time lol. But I see your point.

Closed Thread