HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Pietrangelo's Game

Old
01-23-2013, 11:03 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Pietrangelo is the last guy on the team I'd be concerned about long term. He's had back to back poor games(for his standards) after he didn't play for 9 months and had a week to prepare. If he's still playing like this is 2 weeks, maybe I'll have a little concern. I think that's pretty unlikely, though.
I agree. I see a rusty player whose timing is just a hair off and whose legs aren't quite under him yet, and a defense getting hung out to dry by poor execution from the forwards. Combine that with Pietrangelo forcing things at times to have the "impact" on the game that I'm sure he wants to have, and you get what you've seen.

I'm not worried. The team will clean up its act soon enough, and Pietrangelo will settle into his usual game.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:13 AM
underslept

He's trying to play more physical than he naturally wants to and it's putting him out of position, making him skate more, and he's doing what Cole spent the entire Chicago game doing, thinking more than he's relying on instinct.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:30 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
He's trying to play more physical than he naturally wants to and it's putting him out of position, making him skate more, and he's doing what Cole spent the entire Chicago game doing, thinking more than he's relying on instinct.
Can't agree more. Going out of position to make hits and pinching in when he shouldn't have been the major problems I've seen. Trying to make the big hit is the bigger problem, IMO, as it represents a fundamental shift in the way he normally plays. I think pinching in on offense has been a problem with the entire D corps, and may be more of a coaching issue.

That and the whole conditioning issue. Petro and the rest of the team will be fine.

DrVanntastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:28 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
If any Dman has been playing bad its Cole. Last night was a horrible game for him, and he has not looked good.
BLAME COLE. It is obviously his fault that Petro is trying to lay open ice hits at center ice. I actually have been impressed with Cole. His only penalty was a phantom interference call and he has kept the puck in the offensive zone a number of times.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
BLAME COLE. It is obviously his fault that Petro is trying to lay open ice hits at center ice. I actually have been impressed with Cole. His only penalty was a phantom interference call and he has kept the puck in the offensive zone a number of times.
I didn't say I was "blaming" Cole, I just said he should be getting the attention not petro. I do not think Cole has played well this season, and I'm entitled to my own opinion.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
I didn't say I was "blaming" Cole, I just said he should be getting the attention not petro. I do not think Cole has played well this season, and I'm entitled to my own opinion.
You're entitled to it, but it doesn't make it right.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Chibi
Randomness

I think Cole's been playing pretty well, imo. Of course, it could just be me noticing Petro's little bumps over Cole's play. It also doesn't help that I keep seeing #28 and cringe before I realize it's not lolaicovo.

Either way, I think Petro will get back in his groove sooner rather than later.

Then again, how is he going to look tonight with another new partner in Redden?

Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I think Cole's been playing pretty well, imo. Of course, it could just be me noticing Petro's little bumps over Cole's play. It also doesn't help that I keep seeing #28 and cringe before I realize it's not lolaicovo.

Either way, I think Petro will get back in his groove sooner rather than later.

Then again, how is he going to look tonight with another new partner in Redden?
Lolaiacovo, i like it, lol.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
I've been VERY impressed with Cole thus far. He's made some great plays, and hasn't made too many cringe worthy mistakes.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
SteenMachine

I mean we could just as easily make a thread about the Backes line not being as effective as we know they could and take turns blaming everyone he's playing with on the ice. About half the team can step their game up, or have a hot streak at some point that shows the kind of player they really are. It's way too early to start analyzing what's not working as if it's going to foreshadow the rest of the season.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Cochise22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I've been VERY impressed with Cole thus far. He's made some great plays, and hasn't made too many cringe worthy mistakes.
I agree with this. He has made several passes that straight up blew my mind. As far as the first three games have gone I'd go as far to say he has been playing better than Pie.

Also, don't forget that Pie is just a kid too. He's probably pressing because he knows he is a step slower than where he needs to be. I feel a more mature player would know this and play to his strengths, whereas Pie is trying to add a new element. I'd say for comparison, look at Backes. I personally feel he looks quite rusty, but at the same time he isn't trying to become a sniper. He is playing to a strength and is playing like a wrecking ball, and his early season rust doesn't seem quite as frustrating because of it.

Cochise22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise22 View Post
I agree with this. He has made several passes that straight up blew my mind. As far as the first three games have gone I'd go as far to say he has been playing better than Pie.
Cole has been good, but no way. Relative to expectations? Okay, fine, but in actual responsibility, impact, and execution? No.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Cochise22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Cole has been good, but no way. Relative to expectations? Okay, fine, but in actual responsibility, impact, and execution? No.
Yeah, thats closer to what I guess what I was actually thinking. Cole has been better than expected while Pie has been worse than I expected. I'm just a little frustrated by his play and the way he has changed what made him great. I need to keep telling myself, "It's only been three games, it's only been three games." I just hope he has learned his lesson about attempted hits at center ice.

Cochise22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Cole only has to play better than Colaiacovo did last season in order to be a bright spot. So far, I think he has played at least that well, but he's made a couple pretty bad mistakes. Also, the chemistry with Pietro is a work in progress. Bottom line, I think the notion of him as Pietro's partner this season is totally viable, and that is a great result for the Blues since finding someone in trade is not easy.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:56 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

In the nature of keeping this thread about Petro, I think Cole has done an acceptable job. He has made some mistakes but has also shown quite a bit of improvement from last year.

I don't know if he is a permanent partner for Petro, but I feel he can do what we ask of him for now. I think he gets unfair expectations next to AP and in no way is a #2 Dman but is showing a lot of promise and playing better than anyone else including last year.

Redden should be able to fill in and I guess we will see what kind of energy they have together tonight.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Pietrangelo played well tonight, then again it didn't seem he was under a lot of pressure tonight

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Is there a chance that Pietrangelo's struggles are due to a new style Hitchcock is pushing on him? His skating and hands seems fine, but somehow it seems like his hockey IQ dropped...Which is NOT the Pietrangelo we've seen the past 2 years.

So...What do you think is wrong?

Did he peak early?

Is he still not right from the surgery?

Is he in game shape?

Could he be uncomfortable with Cole?

Has Hitchcock changed his expectations for Pietrangelo and he's having problems adapting?

Has the transition aggressiveness been a thorn in his side?

Have teams figured him out?
I guess I'm just taken aback that you've thought his play thus far has been so problematic that it would warrant these types of questions. Where was he anything below good/decent? The Chicago game was a lull for the entire team, and specifically on D. Shattenkirk was probably the best Dman that night. He looked good against Nashville the other night and great against Detroit.

I think timing and game readiness is a legitimate factor. You could tell in camp just how sublimely talented the kid is, but his reads were just a bit off, and that's carried over a bit into this week. Let it be said that per usual, Petro is playing with a revolving door as his partner, so that's another factor.

I've seen him try to throw his weight around a bit more, which isn't bad, but his game is puck disruption and relieving pressure in his end. I'm genuinely interested in what you've seen and your concerns if you'd share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise22 View Post
Yeah, thats closer to what I guess what I was actually thinking. Cole has been better than expected while Pie has been worse than I expected. I'm just a little frustrated by his play and the way he has changed what made him great. I need to keep telling myself, "It's only been three games, it's only been three games." I just hope he has learned his lesson about attempted hits at center ice.
Frustrated by one game? I am honestly curious to know what you and the OP have seen to warrant this type of worry. What has he changed that made him great?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

With a new baby Im unable to stay awake at nights to watch the Blues and Pie play. But apart from his very cold streak in the last 10 games or so on the scoresheet, how have he been playing so far this year?

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:20 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
With a new baby Im unable to stay awake at nights to watch the Blues and Pie play. But apart from his very cold streak in the last 10 games or so on the scoresheet, how have he been playing so far this year?
Some well, some average, some poor. He should not be in the conversation for the Norris this year, period.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Some well, some average, some poor. He should not be in the conversation for the Norris this year, period.
A damn shame, the Norris door opened a little bit more this year with Karlsson out... too bad Pie dont play like he did last year :/

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
But he will be.

Defense doesn't really matter that much, with Letang and Karlsson getting recognition in the past few years.

Its such a screwed up award. It, along with the Selke, have become as much popularity awards as anything else.

If the reigning winner is close, they will win it. Ask Detroit fans. They will tell you that one of the years that Datsyuk won the Selke that Zetterburg was the better defensive player that year. But Datsyuk has the history.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:41 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Lolaiacovo, i like it, lol.
Classic!

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
shifting

My biggest complaint with Petro is his flopping on the ice to break up passes. He is doing it too much and most of the time it isn't timed well. He flops and they just push the puck around him. The flop should be last resort. He needs to learn from Polak, I am often critical of Roman, but he has good flop timing.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote