HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to panic yet?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm nowhere near panicking, I think they'll get better, but I'm worried that this team needs serious work.
They need some help. It may come, but the list is long. Hartnell is hurt. Briere needs to be an impact (16G last year instead of 34 the year prior). Really need both Schenns and Cooter to have strong, hopefully breakout years at the same time. Voracek needs to be worth every penny of his raise. Simmonds needs to consistently show that dominance he can have.

They all need to "level up." Not sure how likely that is.

Grossmann needs to be a bit more quick, less slow. Coburn needs to become a more impact player. Kimmo needs to stay healthy. Mez needs to have a bounce back year from his injuries.

If all those things could occur...

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
if this season does start to spiral out of control we need to go find KevinDank. His humor in the seasonthatwillnotbenamed kept many of us who were here dealing with the losses much easier to take.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:27 AM
BringBackStevens

This team needs to find an impact d. There is a glaring lack of a dynamic element back there.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if this season does start to spiral out of control we need to go find KevinDank. His humor in the seasonthatwillnotbenamed kept many of us who were here dealing with the losses much easier to take.
Amen! Kevin's rants were a thing of beauty. As painful as that season was, we had a lot of fun around here with the "describe the team in pictures" thread, the photoshop threads, and Kevin's rants.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:53 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
This team needs to find an impact d. There is a glaring lack of a dynamic element back there.
It drives me insane that the organization refuses to recognize the importance of drafting and developing defensemen. We're fine throwing money at free agents or trading assets for 35 year-old players, but drafting our own....that's just too much.

How good would John Carlson look on our blueline right now?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:55 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Amen! Kevin's rants were a thing of beauty. As painful as that season was, we had a lot of fun around here with the "describe the team in pictures" thread, the photoshop threads, and Kevin's rants.
I'm going to have to search back in the archives to remind myself of Mr. Dank's body of work. The mid-life dementia makes name recall spotty at best. TSTSNBN was golden for raw, cynical humour at its best.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Le Oranje

I'm concerned that Schenn and Voracek look like they'll never be anything more than third liners.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Like I've been saying, Carle gained his production by virtue of bulk ice time while playing with the top line. I have an in-depth post in the offseason Carle thread about this, but while Carle was on the ice, the team scored less. If he had the same ice time as Coburn, he would have had less points than Coburn. Carle was actually detrimental to the offense overall. He wasn't a total disaster or anything, but our offense was less efficient with him out there. I thought I saw it while watching games when he was very predictable, then when I examined the stats in the offseason they confirmed that.

As I've said, when he was in the offensive zone, he was easy to defend. His lack of shot meant those were either blocked or easy saves. They were often knocked down by the defense, rarely generated rebounds, or were blocked and cleared. His shot simply was not generating offense; which is what's gonna happen when you constantly take wrist shots from near the blue line. Teams focused on removing his pass options, because they didn't have much reason to fear his shot unless he pinched in.

He was good at moving the puck to the neutral zone and into the offensive zone, but once there? He was decidedly average. I mean, good for him for giving the puck to our top line a lot and getting those assists. A lot of those came from solid breakout passes. However, he was a detriment to sustained offensive zone offense which is reflected by his numbers.

I'll see if I can dig my post up, but it was months ago.

Edit: Nope. Taking too much effort.

I do not think a 5.5 million dollar complimentary D-man who can't handle top competition on D and stifles sustained offense is what this team needs.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time_...11+13+29+31+33

Coburn's most common teammates are Timonen, Hartnell and Giroux. Carle's is Bourdon, Hartnell, and Simmonds. That doesn't really support 'Carle was always with the best teammates,' especially since Coburn had the best 5v5 QoT among any defenseman (will happen when you're the #1 pair), and only Carle and Timonen had positive 5v5 Corsi Rel. Coburn was at best similar, but there isn't really a case where he was more effective than Carle.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:30 PM
captainpaxil

theyre too young. too much promise not enough pro's. in a long season you can hide growing pains but with the shortened schedule those mistakes are gonna cost. im not panicing but i dont have the expectation that were going to win the cup either

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
I'm concerned that Schenn and Voracek look like they'll never be anything more than third liners.
3 games. You need to relax son.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
theyre too young. too much promise not enough pro's. in a long season you can hide growing pains but with the shortened schedule those mistakes are gonna cost. im not panicing but i dont have the expectation that were going to win the cup either
That's the complete opposite of what makes sense though.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

i might be in the minority that thinks our D has looked pretty good thus far, but they could all do better on the PK and it'd be nice to have them help out offensively. with the exception of the foster bomb against buffalo they've all been pretty quiet from the blueline.

our offense is too young to be consistent. we could use veteran help.

bryz has looked much better.

not panicking yet. things just need to start clicking soon.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I feel like this season is just gambling on a bunch of "ifs". If couturier can make the jump to a productive top 6 C. If b Schenn can produce in a top 6 role, if Voracek can finally put it together, if Bryz can be solid, if Timonen can stay healthy, if l Schenn can get back on track in his development, if Meszaros can have a bounce back year. And the issue is, we need ALL of those things to happen to make any sort of run and probably most of them to happen to even make the playoffs.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:13 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
i might be in the minority that thinks our D has looked pretty good thus far, but they could all do better on the PK and it'd be nice to have them help out offensively. with the exception of the foster bomb against buffalo they've all been pretty quiet from the blueline.

our offense is too young to be consistent. we could use veteran help.

bryz has looked much better.

not panicking yet. things just need to start clicking soon.
I agree with you about the D etc.........We have only scored what ? 3 or 4 goals total in 3 games........Just gotta keep grinding away and work through it.Sometimes adversity will make a club better in the long run.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:20 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
exactly, getting rid of jagr or not replacing him with someone else like him is killing this team, that's on homer, this young players are getting too much pressure on the top lines they dont belong there, it's just not going to work, they have to address these two lines in the offeason or at the trade deadline, third and fourth lines im not concerned about. if briere cant step up, he's most likely going to dealt or amnesty, they need a defensemen as well, most likely one of the young players are going to dealt for one and another defensemen from the phantoms will come up next year.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
BernieParent

This is a pretty funny thread, considering there is a great deal of panic on this board when the team starts a season 3-0.

Panic is just what we do.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote