HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Why? Because he's doing well in Europe? Hovinen put up good numbers in his last season before coming over here. How'd that work out?
Hovinen put up good numbers for two years.

Sunshine has been as consistent as someone like Lundqvist was in his early years.

Also, for the hell of it, look at Sunshine's playoff performances. Absurd.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:55 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Why? Because he's doing well in Europe? Hovinen put up good numbers in his last season before coming over here. How'd that work out?
Sunshine has put up significantly better numbers and is 2 yrs younger. he's also a top 3 goalie in the SEL right now. there's no comparing the two. the question is does sunshine want to come over to NA without a guaranteed start job, nothing else

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-24-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hovinen put up good numbers for two years.

Sunshine has been as consistent as someone like Lundqvist was in his early years.

Also, for the hell of it, look at Sunshine's playoff performances. Absurd.
i posted these in the previous prospect thread but i'll re-post them here to reinforce the point:

Quote:
follow up on Sunshine

here are his numbers again for the past two season in the SEL
2011-12 33GP 1.73GAA .935SV%
2012-13 22GP 1.73GAA .931SV% (season not over yet)

here are Lundqvist's numbers from his last 2 yr in the SEL (as a 21-23yo which just so happens to be Sunshines age in the seasons listed above) before making the jump to the NHL.
2003–04 48 GP 2.17GAA .927SV%
2004–05 44GP 1.79GAA .936SV%

i'm not saying he's anywhere near Lundqvist's level or that he could potentially be even but as of right now Sunshine is a top 3 goalie i would say in the SEL as a 22yo. i'm just saying that i think he could be a very capable goalie in this league (surely better then most of our current prospects).

btw he's now eligible to be signed as a free-agent

Old
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Hovinen was a Neil Little recommendation, the goaltending scout. The same Neil Little that suggested the Flyers draft Jacob Des Serres and Adam Morrison. The same Neil Little that felt that Ericsson couldn't adjust to the SEL. Maybe the Flyers need to send Neil Little packing as well.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Hovinen was a Neil Little recommendation, the goaltending scout. The same Neil Little that suggested the Flyers draft Jacob Des Serres and Adam Morrison. The same Neil Little that felt that Ericsson couldn't adjust to the SEL. Maybe the Flyers need to send Neil Little packing as well.
if all that is true i absolutely agree

Old
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
DeflatedFootball7

A lot of those Euro goalies have a big sense of entitlement. I know Petri Vehanen got a contract offer for the Pens but refused unless Fleury was his backup.

Fasth wanted a guarante that he was going to be on the roster for the Ducks instead of in the AHL.

Hovinen I guess thought he belonged in the AHL. I mean it shouldn't take 4 months to adjust to the NA ice surface.

Sunshine is questionable. I hope so but you never know. Maybe we'll draft Fucale?

Old
01-24-2013, 04:04 PM
YuioIklo

They just signed David Laliberté, apparently.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Also the neil who thought Johan Backlund was a good goalie

Old
01-24-2013, 04:19 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
A lot of those Euro goalies have a big sense of entitlement. I know Petri Vehanen got a contract offer for the Pens but refused unless Fleury was his backup.

Fasth wanted a guarante that he was going to be on the roster for the Ducks instead of in the AHL.

Hovinen I guess thought he belonged in the AHL. I mean it shouldn't take 4 months to adjust to the NA ice surface.

Sunshine is questionable. I hope so but you never know. Maybe we'll draft Fucale?
It is somewhat understandable if they are being asked to leave a starting job in the top league in their country that they would only want to leave for a top job in another country even if the NHL has tougher competition or just a different style of play.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Hes in Trenton I believe

Old
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
As well as Kory Nagy. Both were Titans, Nagy for the last two seasons, Laliberte for the last two weeks. Laliberte's struggled to get going after knee surgery, hasn't done much point wise...but the organization knows what he's capable of.

Nagy is a typical speedy two-way grinder. Skates hard all the time, hits, isn't afraid to fight, drives the net. Glad he's getting a shot in the A, but I have doubts he'll make it any further than maybe a 3rd line AHL spot.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Also the neil who thought Johan Backlund was a good goalie
Not to defend him but he is also the guy who said to draft Sunshine in the first place, and sign Bob out of nowhere when no-one else wanted him. DeSerres made it to the Memorial cup which isn't awful and Backlund I think was a lot better before his injuries and surgeries. The jury is still out on Heeter but who knows.The reality is that the majority of goalies just don't make it, even those drafted quite high up often fall flat.

There were 28 goalies drafted ahead of Pekka Rinne and 2 of them are NHL regulars now. Goalies are just extremely hard to gauge. Hindsight is always 20/20 but the reality is that in 2004 30 GMs picked guys like Mrazek and Fukufuji and Spratt instead of Rinne. Edmonton went for Reaugh instead of a guy named Roy in 1984.

I'd be a lot more upset with Little if we went for a goalie early in the draft and he flopped. If I were a scout and Homer said "we need a great goalie and we won't use any high draft picks" and I were the scout I'm not sure I could do much better. When it looked like Sunshine and Bob were the future we all lauded him as an awesome scout but in typical Flyer fashion the assets were mismanaged.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Krishna

Stolarz is starting for London

Old
01-24-2013, 06:53 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Not to defend him but he is also the guy who said to draft Sunshine in the first place, and sign Bob out of nowhere when no-one else wanted him. DeSerres made it to the Memorial cup which isn't awful and Backlund I think was a lot better before his injuries and surgeries. The jury is still out on Heeter but who knows.The reality is that the majority of goalies just don't make it, even those drafted quite high up often fall flat.

There were 28 goalies drafted ahead of Pekka Rinne and 2 of them are NHL regulars now. Goalies are just extremely hard to gauge. Hindsight is always 20/20 but the reality is that in 2004 30 GMs picked guys like Mrazek and Fukufuji and Spratt instead of Rinne. Edmonton went for Reaugh instead of a guy named Roy in 1984.

I'd be a lot more upset with Little if we went for a goalie early in the draft and he flopped. If I were a scout and Homer said "we need a great goalie and we won't use any high draft picks" and I were the scout I'm not sure I could do much better. When it looked like Sunshine and Bob were the future we all lauded him as an awesome scout but in typical Flyer fashion the assets were mismanaged.
From what I recall Backlund looked okay in those 40 minutes he played against Pittsburgh in 09-10 before getting injured.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Backlund was good but then he got hurt. See: Niittymaki.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:27 AM
LegionOfDoom91

London beat Ottawa 10-1 last night. Anthony Stolarz got the win saving 19 of 20 shots. He's now 2-0 with 2.39 GAA and 0.915 SV%.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post

I'd be a lot more upset with Little if we went for a goalie early in the draft and he flopped. If I were a scout and Homer said "we need a great goalie and we won't use any high draft picks" and I were the scout I'm not sure I could do much better. When it looked like Sunshine and Bob were the future we all laudeden him as an awesome scout but in typical Flyer fashion the assets were mismanaged.
Drafting goalies is luck just like drafting elite defensemen, at least after the top 5 picks. The Flyers had a perfect draft last year IMO. Draft the best forward in the 1st, than draft a goalie and multiple(3-4) defensemen after. Maybe draft 2 goalies now and again. Eventually you will hit pay dirt.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:51 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Drafting goalies is luck just like drafting elite defensemen, at least after the top 5 picks. The Flyers had a perfect draft last year IMO. Draft the best forward in the 1st, than draft a goalie and multiple(3-4) defensemen after. Maybe draft 2 goalies now and again. Eventually you will hit pay dirt.
Agreed, I don't believe in spending a 1st round pick on a goalie now a days. Goalies are such wild cards you don't really know what you got until 2-3 years down the road from their draft year. Look at Jack Campbell who was taken 10th overall in 2010, he's been pretty average at best during his times in the OHL and now the AHL. He's still young so he may put it all together.

But for whatever reason we've been unlucky in the goaltending department for some time. I'm hoping this will change in the future.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:18 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
London beat Ottawa 10-1 last night. Anthony Stolarz got the win saving 19 of 20 shots. He's now 2-0 with 2.39 GAA and 0.915 SV%.
That's good to hear. He'll only get better. He had a rough first game (I think they won 10-5) which may have skewed his numbers a bit.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:34 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
That's good to hear. He'll only get better. He had a rough first game (I think they won 10-5) which may have skewed his numbers a bit.
Yeahp, he has 4 games played 2 of them relief appearances. I think their other goalie Patterson has had some rough starts as of late. Hopefully Stolarz can get some more games over him if he continues playing well.

His only goal given up last night was on the PP.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 01-25-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
He's also the same Neil Little that recommended signing Bobrovsky, who has looked very good this season in Columbus.

BTW, with Hovinen being released from his contract Heeter has been sent to Trenton. Phantoms will go with Boucher and Munroe.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
He's also the same Neil Little that recommended signing Bobrovsky, who has looked very good this season in Columbus.

BTW, with Hovinen being released from his contract Heeter has been sent to Trenton. Phantoms will go with Boucher and Munroe.
Bobrovsky was also being actively chased by seven other teams (Boston, Anaheim, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, and Minnesota). Signing Bob was a no brainer. I'm not dismissing Little, but it certainly makes it easy when you've got seven other teams chasing after a goaltender to make him a very good offer with the chance of playing a lot.

I'm hopeful that eventually, the Flyers land that goaltender of the future to groom. Stolarz could be that guy and there's nothing wrong with bringing in Ericsson to compete for that spot as well. As others have pointed out, Ericsson has a history of playing well throughout his entire career.

I think others on here will tell you that I'm really high on Stolarz and that he's in a great situation here in London with the Knights. It looks like they're going to run with him now and he's gearing up to playing a lot of hockey down the stretch. I'll give Little his due here. He scouted a good one in Stolarz.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2462
Gustafsson (Jan. 25) injury update:

Quote:
Gustafsson made it through the whole skate today and left here without a visible limp. He'll be on the ice for warmups tonight.
Source: Diana C. Nearhos

Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

If Mesz is indeed out for an extended period, a healthy Gus is exactly what this team needs: moves the puck well, can play a solid 16-19min a game without being a liability and may even fits well K.Foster.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Thats great to hear. Hopefully he can be back sometime next week

Closed Thread