HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 09:38 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Interest in Ryan Pulock if we draft 10-15?
Love the kid. Wouldn't be a bad pick at all. Still would like to see us draft a skilled forward with the pick, or a left-handed top-end D prospect like Morrissey or Theodore.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Pulock is great, but prefer Morrissey (around 13-17) and Rasmus Ristolainen (around 9-15) over him. I still believe that we should take a forward, like Erne and Mantha should be around 10-15, both are hell of a players.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I would ideally like a skilled forward as well just because with the Avs their development will be somewhat more predictable, but I do really like Pulock as a prospect. Erne is great but I don't know much about Mantha - what type of player is he/what are expectations for him?

Old
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Mantha brings a huge amount of skill and athleticism to the rink every night, and fits into the category of a ‘physcial specimen’. Mantha stands at 6’4 190 pounds and has the athletic frame that could translate to any sport. On the ice however, he is an elite offensive player. Mantha has one of the shots in the QMJHL, with a lightning fast release that has helped him score at a .82 goals per game clip this season, and he sits 8th in league scoring. Mantha can also see the ice very well, setting up teammates on the rush and stationary on the powerplay. The concern with Mantha is his compete level, and the consistency with which he uses it. Mantha was fired up and agitated with fellow 2013 draft-eligible Nathan Mackinnon in Halifax and started hitting and dominating on the boards against Halifax. According other online viewings and scouting reports, that is exception and not the norm for Mantha. He even said himself in his interview with TSR that it is something that needs to be improved. That is the scary thing with Mantha, because if he used all his tools on a consistent basis he would be with names like Monohan and Drouin in the top 5 conversation.

Thescoutingreport.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Softest line in the NHL.
Uh, no...the softest line in the NHL took to the ice opening night:

Mueller - Huberdeau - Kovalev

Of course it was pretty danged effective.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Mantha brings a huge amount of skill and athleticism to the rink every night, and fits into the category of a ‘physcial specimen’. Mantha stands at 6’4 190 pounds and has the athletic frame that could translate to any sport. On the ice however, he is an elite offensive player. Mantha has one of the shots in the QMJHL, with a lightning fast release that has helped him score at a .82 goals per game clip this season, and he sits 8th in league scoring. Mantha can also see the ice very well, setting up teammates on the rush and stationary on the powerplay. The concern with Mantha is his compete level, and the consistency with which he uses it. Mantha was fired up and agitated with fellow 2013 draft-eligible Nathan Mackinnon in Halifax and started hitting and dominating on the boards against Halifax. According other online viewings and scouting reports, that is exception and not the norm for Mantha. He even said himself in his interview with TSR that it is something that needs to be improved. That is the scary thing with Mantha, because if he used all his tools on a consistent basis he would be with names like Monohan and Drouin in the top 5 conversation.

Thescoutingreport.
Reading this gave me Wolski flashbacks.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:48 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Erne is my preference outside of a top-5 pick. With Sgarbossa, Hishon, Smith, Meurs, Clarke and Blandisi all filling the role of "undersized offensive centre prospects with good work ethic" it would be nice to have a forward in the system that fills the "hardworking physical offensive winger with decent size" because right now the closest thing we have to that is Bourke (Not taking away anything from Bourke but when he's the closest thing we have to a power forward, we need help)

I see Erne as a Landeskog v2.0 minus the charisma and leadership, but very similar play style.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

soooooooo hoping for Barkov, that kid will be the next big thing.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:11 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Erne is my preference outside of a top-5 pick. With Sgarbossa, Hishon, Smith, Meurs, Clarke and Blandisi all filling the role of "undersized offensive centre prospects with good work ethic" it would be nice to have a forward in the system that fills the "hardworking physical offensive winger with decent size" because right now the closest thing we have to that is Bourke (Not taking away anything from Bourke but when he's the closest thing we have to a power forward, we need help)

I see Erne as a Landeskog v2.0 minus the charisma and leadership, but very similar play style.
Same here ,the kid is strong everywhere

Old
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
Reading this gave me Wolski flashbacks.
Yeah it does sound like Wolski, but I think they're overreacting. I've seen him about four times and he has looked dominate in each one.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:27 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Erne is a better skater than he is physically (IMO), but I see a lot of Bobby Ryan in him.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedba View Post
soooooooo hoping for Barkov, that kid will be the next big thing.
Good luck. We won't get him unless we have a top 4 pick.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
We've got to draft really strongly these next couple years if we want to have the system depth to take the next step as a team over the next few seasons. We don't have a lot of valuable pieces with which to make moves right now and a lot of what we have in terms of prospects are undersized or have question marks around them when it comes to players able to step in over the next season or two.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
finds71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
We've got to draft really strongly these next couple years if we want to have the system depth to take the next step as a team over the next few seasons. We don't have a lot of valuable pieces with which to make moves right now and a lot of what we have in terms of prospects are undersized or have question marks around them when it comes to players able to step in over the next season or two.
I agree, part of this is because the Avs have rushed (IMO) their top prospects since 2009. Just imagine for a second that Duchene didn`t make the team in 2009 and stayed in the junior/AHL for an extra 2 years.
Duchene would have had his first year last year. Same for Radar.
Now Landeskog, let say he stays in the junior for an extra 2 years and only starts playing for the 2013/14 season.
We would have them on the rookie contract for a longer time, and the team would have probably been able to draft higher in 2010 and possibly this year.

I am not saying that Duchene and Landy would have been better player, but when you want to rebuild a team, you got to do some sacrifice for a few years.
Don`t give me wrong, I love Landy and Duchene and think they are the best two forwards we have on the team right now.

Now on the 2013 entry draft, anybody thinks like me that Drouin is a better pick over Mackinnon right now? The kid has a better ppg ratio this season so far and was wayyyy better than Mackinnon a the world junior this year. Also I remember that Mackinnon refused to play for the team that had drafted him in the quebec junior and they had to trade him to Halifax...

Old
01-27-2013, 02:37 PM
GeoffL19

MacKinnon has the complete overall game that Drouin lacks.

Drouin to me is a boom or bust, he's got to be a top-6 forward or he will be extremely ineffective in the big leagues as he doesn't have the size and is soft as butter.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:41 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I was talking to the Quebec scout on from our scout site and he says that Mantha is a lot like James Neal. Just needs to work on consistency, but has all tools for a great goal scorer.

Quote:

Drouin to me is a boom or bust, he's got to be a top-6 forward or he will be extremely ineffective in the big leagues as he doesn't have the size and is soft as butter.
The problem I have with MacKinnon is his talent is in flashes every game. Picture Kessel, he is only dangerous when he has the puck and even though MacKinnon is much more physical, they play sort of the same style of game. That is why I think Drouin might become the better offensive player.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

I don't think Drouin is as soft as you make him out to be.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Last edited by Frenchy: 01-30-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9840

Definitely, didn't think the avas would be this bad, still don't but it sure as hell looks like it right now. I personally want Drouin.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
GeoffL19

My personal preference ranking goes like this:

Jones
MacKinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Ristolainen
Drouin
Lindhlom
Nichushkin
Zadorov
Shinkaruck

Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

My list (strictly on who I want the Avs to draft),

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. MacKinnon
5. Nichushkin

Old
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Anybody have a scouting report on Samuel Morin (thinking as a 2nd or 3rd rounder)? I have only seen a few games this season and he seems like he could be a diamond in the rough sorts. The sort that if the offense ever comes around he could be top pairing, but even it if doesn't (very likely won't) he would be the type to develop into a middle pairing shutdown guy.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:52 PM
finds71

Mackinnon
Jones
Drouin
Barkov

I really like Drouin`s style, and vision on the ice. But I think that Mackinnon has the potential to become to best player out of this draft.
I understand that we need a top D more than a top line center, but any team should go with the best player available.
So if by miracle, the Avs select first, we should go with Mackinnon.
Picking 2nd overall is easier.... whoever between Jones/Mckinnon is not taken first

Old
02-02-2013, 01:49 AM
viach

This year, since the new CBA, any of the 14 non-playoff teams might win the draft lottery and get to select first overall !!

If we don't make playoffs this year and I think so, we need some luck for a good draft position (between 1st - 5th)

Old
02-02-2013, 05:39 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

For some reason I hope we get 4th overall and draft Barkov. He seems legit, and there's so much less pressure at the 4 spot than the 1 or 2.

Closed Thread