HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Selänne vs Jagr this season

View Poll Results: more points
Selänne 137 68.50%
Jagr 63 31.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I'll say Selanne because he has the better offensive supporting cast, but I doubt it will be by much.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 69
I'm going to go with Selanne because he has better linemates

01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Selanne, cuz he be a Duck. Ducks 4 daysz brah

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Jagr is playing with Eriksson and Benn/Roy...

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
DatsyukNumberOne*

Teemu seems crazy good on the powerplay, he seems to rack up the points there.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Fin9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
I'm going to go with Selanne because he has better linemates
lol wut Nick Bonino ?

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Jagr is playing with Eriksson and Benn/Roy...
yeah but Bonino>Benn

he had 18 points last year Benn only had 2

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post
lol wut Nick Bonino ?
Well, Selanne also has Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, and Souray anytime there is a PP.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
For a reason i can't understand, you hate Selanne as much as Saku11 hates Datsuyk. You just use less harsh words. So i am not too surprised that you would guess his production to go down...

But it is a reasonable guess.
I dont hate Selanne, when have i ever said that? I just think that people overrate him nowdays because he puts up points.

But i gotta admit, 42 yrs old, 1st game after lockout and 4 points. Never expected that. But then again overall he didnt look that good, just somehow manages to get those points. Admitted that himself aswell.

The Ducks looked pretty good though, so as long as the team is playing well Teemu will produce at high rate on the PP at least.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:46 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Teemu. Not close at all

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:15 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Teemu. Not close at all
Well they are tied in scoring right now.

Jagr has chipped in on 100% of the Stars goals so far this year while Selanne has 4 Pts of a possible 12 goals that the Ducks have scored.

Selanne is just a good player on a high scoring team while Jagr will figure to be more central in the Stars offense.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:35 AM
NutCracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post

Jagr has chipped in on 100% of the Stars goals so far this year while Selanne has 4 Pts of a possible 12 goals that the Ducks have scored.

Selanne is just a good player on a high scoring team while Jagr will figure to be more central in the Stars offense.
I would hate to have your life. Unless you are Jagr himself

NutCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:

Sure, just like last season

1. Selanne 66pts
2. Perry 60pts
3. Getzlaf 57pts
4. Ryan 57pts
5. Koivu 38pts

1. Giroux 93pts
2. Hartnell 67pts
3. Jagr 54pts
4. Simmonds 49pts
5. Voracek 49pts
6. Briere 49pts

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
Sure, just like last season

1. Selanne 66pts
2. Perry 60pts
3. Getzlaf 57pts
4. Ryan 57pts
5. Koivu 38pts

1. Giroux 93pts
2. Hartnell 67pts
3. Jagr 54pts
4. Simmonds 49pts
5. Voracek 49pts
6. Briere 49pts
Last year and this year are two different stories.

Go watch the Stars play this season, Jagr has been by far their best non-goalie player. He's been unstoppable with the puck much like he was in New York (in 2005-06) and in his Pittsburgh days. I am willing to do a friendly bet with anyone that Jagr will outscore Selanne this year.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Tuomaz

Livewell68 is as passionated as always about jagr but having seen couple Dallas matches I have to say he looks very good. Much faster than last year, he will rack up points.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Livewell68 is as passionated as always about jagr but having seen couple Dallas matches I have to say he looks very good. Much faster than last year, he will rack up points.
Thank you. Jagr got injured last season otherwise he would have had more points. If he's healthy this season, I don't see him scoring less than 45 Pts in 48 games.

The Stars are relying on him much more than the Flyers were last year and he's faster, stronger and more fresh than last season.

.... but of course I'm just crazy and I must be married to Jagr or I must be Jagr himself because there is just no way in the world that Jagr can outscore Selanne is there?

Jagr has never, ever outscored Selanne, ever, so why should I expect it now?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

Go watch the Stars play this season, Jagr has been by far their best non-goalie player. He's been unstoppable with the puck much like he was in New York (in 2005-06) and in his Pittsburgh days. I am willing to do a friendly bet with anyone that Jagr will outscore Selanne this year.
Three games. Two without a point. Hardly what I would call unstoppable. 4 points in that first game was a decent start, but how many goose eggs can he get before we start saying he may not be the greatest player alive today?

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Three games. Two without a point. Hardly what I would call unstoppable. 4 points in that first game was a decent start, but how many goose eggs can he get before we start saying he may not be the greatest player alive today?
Did you watch his games or are you just on here because you have admittedly said you hate Jagr?

He had 6 shots on net against the Red Wings and if not for a hot Howard, Jagr could have easily potted a goal or two. He actually played better against the Red Wings than he did against the Coyotes.

Give it 10 games or so and then look at his stats and then come talk to me.

Where did I say he was the greatest player alive today? I simply said he will be a PPG player and could outscore Selanne? Is that claiming he's the best in the world?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:55 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Did you watch his games or are you just on here because you have admittedly said you hate Jagr?

He had 6 shots on net against the Red Wings and if not for a hot Howard, Jagr could have easily potted a goal or two. He actually played better against the Red Wings than he did against the Coyotes.

Give it 10 games or so and then look at his stats and then come talk to me.

Where did I say he was the greatest player alive today? I simply said he will be a PPG player and could outscore Selanne? Is that claiming he's the best in the world?
First, I hate no man.

Second, I simply stated he was a coach-killing baby who pouted if he didn't get what he wanted, like playing a certain role in a power play, or guys not giving him the puck enough.

Last, I was of course using hyperbole to surmise what I believe must be an unmeasureable devotion that you have for Jagr. He was a great player. Probably a top twenty of all time, but just barely (The Hockey News ranked him at #37, I believe). You act as though he was significantly higher than that, and that is where our opinions differ. I think he was about as good or on par with, say, Jari Kurri or Marcel Dionne. But he was no Wayne Gretzky.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:59 PM
livewell68

Quote:
First, I hate no man.

Second, I simply stated he was a coach-killing baby who pouted if he didn't get what he wanted, like playing a certain role in a power play, or guys not giving him the puck enough.

Last, I was of course using hyperbole to surmise what I believe must be an unmeasureable devotion that you have for Jagr. He was a great player. Probably a top twenty of all time, but just barely (The Hockey News ranked him at #37, I believe). You act as though he was significantly higher than that, and that is where our opinions differ. I think he was about as good or on par with, say, Jari Kurri or Marcel Dionne. But he was no Wayne Gretzky.
That was way back in 1998 before he won his 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Art Ross trophies and before he had his 3 Pearsons and 1 Hart trophy. A lot changed since then. He only ever entered the top 8 in scoring (only player to do so without having a played a single season in the 80's or before).

.... as for being as good as Gretzky, no one is as good as Gretzky but he sure is better than Kurri and Dionne. Many would already rank Jagr a top 15-10 talent. Kurri and Dionne are closer to the 40 range.

One measure where Jagr dominates in ways no one else but Lemieux and Gretzky dominated was adjusted points for best seasons. Jagr shows up on the list 6 times (top 50) which is the most times outside of Lemieux and Gretzky and the only other players that came close were Lindros and Lafleur at 3 times each and Trottier twice.

I really like Jagr yes but I have never claimed that he's better than he is. As some will point out, all of my posts usually come with well thought arguments and stats and facts backing up my opinions. Hate him or love, Jagr is one of the most dominant players of all time. Some even have him in their top 10 players something that Dionne and Kurri will never have claim to.

http://suite101.com/article/nhl-adju...totals-a108996

Last edited by livewell68: 01-23-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 01:44 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
First, I hate no man.

He was definitely better than Kurri or Dionne. By that i mean he was miles better. It is not even debatable.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Oan

Hey livewell68, why don't you tell us why you disappeared from these forums for about 6 months, starting in the early 2012 just about when it was becoming obvious that Selanne was beating Jagr that season? Lost your faith? Couldn't bear being in here and being wrong, since before previous season you were also awfully sure that Jagr would beat Selanne?

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Hey livewell68, why don't you tell us why you disappeared from these forums for about 6 months, starting in the early 2012 just about when it was becoming obvious that Selanne was beating Jagr that season? Lost your faith? Couldn't bear being in here and being wrong, since before previous season you were also awfully sure that Jagr would beat Selanne?
Family emergencies.

Jagr will beat Selanne in scoring if he's healthy this season.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:

Didn't you lose some bet last year? I think you promised to leave the boards in that bet or was it just the name change that was in stake?

Didn't you promise last year that Jagr would challenge for the Art Ross. Also the "20 pounds weight loss and faster than ever" seems to be a recurring theme.

Quote:
.... as for being as good as Gretzky, no one is as good as Gretzky but he sure is better than Kurri and Dionne.
[/URL]
agreed

Quote:
I really like Jagr yes but I have never claimed that he's better than he is.
You had some ridiculous predictions for him last season.

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:52 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
Didn't you lose some bet last year? I think you promised to leave the boards in that bet or was it just the name change that was in stake?

Didn't you promise last year that Jagr would challenge for the Art Ross. Also the "20 pounds weight loss and faster than ever" seems to be a recurring theme.

agreed

You had some ridiculous predictions for him last season.
I didn't lose any bet. Jagr is faster this year and he is 20 lbs lighter.

He himself said it when he was in Europe playing during the lockout. Go watch his games and you will see yourself, he does look better than last season.

Last season was transition season after being away for 3 years. This year, he knows what to expect.

All you have to do is look at his first 40 games where he had 41 Pts before his injury to see that he was playing very well. The only thing that derailed his season last year was his injury.

I BTW never predicted he would challenge for the Art Ross. I said he would be a PPG player and he would have been if not for the injury. He could have easily sat out the rest of the season and wait for the playoffs to be healthy and he would have been a PPG player.

A shorter season means he can maintain a better pace. He will be PPG if healthy. That is my prediction. Can Selanne be a PPG player? If he can then he can challenge Jagr for who scores more.