HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Maybe last season, but after his offseason commitment and his obvious increased speed on the ice...it seems like a weird time to consider trading Stewart. The Blues have got him for this season, for a low price, and they're trying to win the Cup NOW. I like Eller just fine, but I think that ship has sailed. If the Blues are going to acquire a center, there are a lot of guys on that list before Eller.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

vCash: 500
not sure if this adds to the conversation or not but i would love to pick up desharnais over eller. I'd be willing to give up stewart for him. I'm sure alot of u won't like this statement but that guy can play and with his speed and smarts he would fit great in between mcdonald and tarasenko. he's a very underrated player IMO. Not to mention that would save us money for resigning petro and shatty next summer. Not sure how many years desharnais has left on his contract tho. Also he's just as strong along the boards as stewart is lol.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
not sure if this adds to the conversation or not but i would love to pick up desharnais over eller. I'd be willing to give up stewart for him. I'm sure alot of u won't like this statement but that guy can play and with his speed and smarts he would fit great in between mcdonald and tarasenko. he's a very underrated player IMO. Not to mention that would save us money for resigning petro and shatty next summer. Not sure how many years desharnais has left on his contract tho. Also he's just as strong along the boards as stewart is lol.
Desharnais will be a restricted free agent, just like Stewart. After a 60 point season, he's set for a big raise, so, no, it probably wouldn't save the Blues anything.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:56 PM
BlueBeard

Desharnis' style is the opposite of what Hitch asks our current centers to do on the ice. He's a good player but I do not see him fitting into the net presence in the offensive zone and 3rd d-man in the defensive zone role. We might as well just play McDonald or Schwartz at center if we are looking for the opposite of what we are using now.

I'm not sure if Hitch's interview on KMOX from a couple weeks ago is posted anywhere on their website but if it is check it out. It was a really good interview so if you can find it I'd recommend giving it a listen. He spends some time talking about how he thinks the roles of centers have changed in today's game.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Desharnis' style is the opposite of what Hitch asks our current centers to do on the ice. He's a good player but I do not see him fitting into the net presence in the offensive zone and 3rd d-man in the defensive zone role. We might as well just play McDonald or Schwartz at center if we are looking for the opposite of what we are using now.

I'm not sure if Hitch's interview on KMOX from a couple weeks ago is posted anywhere on their website but if it is check it out. It was a really good interview so if you can find it I'd recommend giving it a listen. He spends some time talking about how he thinks the roles of centers have changed in today's game.
I didn't hear the interview, but if you look at the teams who have won the Cup recently, the pattern is pretty clear.

And by recently, I don't just mean in the past few years, even though the last four champs are a very strong example. And I don't just mean since the previous lockout. No, I mean the past twenty years. Nearly every championship team has top 3 centers who are physical, large, and/or have an outstanding two-way game. There are exceptions, like Krejci, recently, but even he is a fine two-way player. And, in general, those centers are frequently good goalscorers, not just traditional playmakers.

I wouldn't be against having Desharnais on the team (though he might play wing if he were), but he definitely doesn't fit the pattern of Kopitar, Richards, Stoll, Bergeron, Kelly, Toews, Sharp, Bolland, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Desharnis' style is the opposite of what Hitch asks our current centers to do on the ice. He's a good player but I do not see him fitting into the net presence in the offensive zone and 3rd d-man in the defensive zone role.
Eller's game and skillset, on the other hand, is almost a perfect fit for the Blues' third-line center role. That's why I'd like to have Eller back.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:48 PM
BlueBeard

Totally agree rummy. I've been on the two way center bandwagon since the days of Stevie Y and Feds kicking the crap out of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Eller's game and skillset, on the other hand, is almost a perfect fit for the Blues' third-line center role. That's why I'd like to have Eller back.
150% in agreement with this statement.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Alklha

I wouldn't be against getting Eller back, but not at the price the Canadiens fans think he is worth. Also, from everything they say, he is better as a LW.

But then again, maybe we can trade for Eller, move Steen back to LW, sign Lehterä and roll 4 scoring lines next season

Old
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
what he said... He would be the very good fit with us...at the right price.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Totally agree rummy. I've been on the two way center bandwagon since the days of Stevie Y and Feds kicking the crap out of us.
I don't know who I was more relieved when they retired...Yzerman or Lidstrom. not a knock on Fedorov, but those two are probably the elite at their position that I had the pleasure to watch

Old
01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I didn't hear the interview, but if you look at the teams who have won the Cup recently, the pattern is pretty clear.

And by recently, I don't just mean in the past few years, even though the last four champs are a very strong example. And I don't just mean since the previous lockout. No, I mean the past twenty years. Nearly every championship team has top 3 centers who are physical, large, and/or have an outstanding two-way game. There are exceptions, like Krejci, recently, but even he is a fine two-way player. And, in general, those centers are frequently good goalscorers, not just traditional playmakers.

I wouldn't be against having Desharnais on the team (though he might play wing if he were), but he definitely doesn't fit the pattern of Kopitar, Richards, Stoll, Bergeron, Kelly, Toews, Sharp, Bolland, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc.
That's why I was disappointed when Mike Richards was moved out of Philly and we didn't get him. Would have been a great fit here. Although who knows what we would have had to give up to get him.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'll admit to not having seen a lot of Lars Eller with the Canadiens, but he strikes me as one of the most overrated players on HF. Canadiens fans talking about Eller for Stewart+2nd? He is almost 24 and has shown next to nothing offensively, but does play a decent defensive role. His upside seems like a decent second line C at this point.

Stewart is only 18 months older, and even if he remains as streaky as he is now, has more value. I mean, Berglund is a year older and Blues fans complain about his offensive output and he has at least shown flashes... they would go nuts with Eller!
MON stunted his development trajectory and the kid is struggling to get back on track.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Thanks for the info. I just wanted your guys take on Desharnais. I just really like him from watching a few montreal games last year. I'm pretty happy with a Backes-steen-Berglund as our top three centers. Especially since they have wingers like perron, oshie, mcdonald. FRANK, Stewart and Schwartz who are ALL(to some extent lol) responsible defensively and all have ability to put the puck in the net. I'd say Berglund is probably the BEST 3rd line centermen in the league lol

Old
01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Also. What would u guys think about a trade for maybe andy greene or someone like that? I mean i'm sure u guys wouldn't but i'd be willing to trade cole for Greene. Green-petro Redden/Jax- Shatty and russell-Polak looks great in my eyes.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Also. What would u guys think about a trade for maybe andy greene or someone like that? I mean i'm sure u guys wouldn't but i'd be willing to trade cole for Greene. Green-petro Redden/Jax- Shatty and russell-Polak looks great in my eyes.
You're right.

I've long been in the camp that we need a more well-rounded player to pair with Pietrangelo if we want to be a truly dangerous team. The days of featuring one-dimensional defensemen on your top pairing in the NHL have come and gone. What's more, Hitchcock's system demands more out of a defenseman than what Greene has to offer.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
You're right.

I've long been in the camp that we need a more well-rounded player to pair with Pietrangelo if we want to be a truly dangerous team. The days of featuring one-dimensional defensemen on your top pairing in the NHL have come and gone. What's more, Hitchcock's system demands more out of a defenseman than what Greene has to offer.
Greene is smart with the puck and solid in his own zone. and he makes much quicker decisions with the puck then Cole. But I see your point. I really hope Cole can put it together this year tho. I 've had high hopes for him for like 4 years now

Old
01-25-2013, 06:41 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
You're right.

Sounds like you're thinking of Matt Greene.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Sounds like you're thinking of Matt Greene.
You're right, I was.

I was trying to spit out a quick reply since I had just been called to dinner, and I guess I didn't process the question very well.

Andy Greene wouldn't be out of place in this system. I wouldn't trade Cole for him, but I would feel more comfortable with him on the top pairing than either Cole or Redden.

That proposal is more reasonable than most of the things proposed in this thread. The Devils wouldn't do it, though.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:38 PM
BlueBeard

I wouldn't mind seeing someone with a little more offensive punch on the left side. Having at least one d-man over there that's a threat to put a puck in the net would help open up the ice further. Cole has a better offensive tool set than most realize but even then his skills may be a bit light in that area for what I would like to see. Then again what I would like to see doesn't necessarily jive on a budget team in a cap era so it is what it is.

In the end I just want a guy who doesn't mess up much and let's Pie work his magic.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:55 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
Anyone want to give their take on acquiring another good d-man? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on Mike Green.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Anyone want to give their take on acquiring another good d-man? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on Mike Green.
Ideal skill set (IMO), but plays the wrong side and cost-prohibitive, both in terms of acquiring him and in terms of actual salary. Health history has to be a concern.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
You're right, I was.

I was trying to spit out a quick reply since I had just been called to dinner, and I guess I didn't process the question very well.

Andy Greene wouldn't be out of place in this system. I wouldn't trade Cole for him, but I would feel more comfortable with him on the top pairing than either Cole or Redden.

That proposal is more reasonable than most of the things proposed in this thread. The Devils wouldn't do it, though.
haha that's more the response i was expecting lol

Old
01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Ideal skill set (IMO), but plays the wrong side and cost-prohibitive, both in terms of acquiring him and in terms of actual salary. Health history has to be a concern.
I also don't like his attitude or his defensive play. we got enough good Right handed dmen. now we need a lefty

Old
01-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Novacain

I realize I'm alone in this, but I really think our most pressing need is a RHD on a two way contract that we can plug into a top 6 role in case of injury. Steen looks fine, and I like the Cole and Ridden combo.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
I realize I'm alone in this, but I really think our most pressing need is a RHD on a two way contract that we can plug into a top 6 role in case of injury. Steen looks fine, and I like the Cole and Ridden combo.
Cole is capable on the right side if there is an injury.

Closed Thread