HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

View Poll Results: Our Goalie Situation - What's the Fix?
Stick with Crawford - he'll bounce back 28 36.84%
Assume Emery Will Become Our # 1 4 5.26%
Wait for a Prospect to Be Ready (plz specify who) 3 3.95%
Trade for a Goalie (plz specify who) 21 27.63%
Sign a free agent Goalie (plz specify who) 0 0%
Reconcile ourselves to the fact we're weak in goal and our strength will come from elsewhere 17 22.37%
Other (plz specify) 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
At the trade deadline, we should look into acquiring Harding.

I don't mean to sound callous, but at this point, I don't think he carries the "goalie of the future" tag for anyone, so he won't have a huge price tag.

He can still play, he's better than Crawford, and right now it looks like Chicago has a better chance of winning the Cup than Minnesota (at least this year). We might be able to get him that Stanley Cup ring before it's too late.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hardings health is a big concern. Not sure if we should give up value for him.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I would love to get Harding but logically, you would think the Wild would have him playing with Hackett next year while letting Backstrom walk.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
hockeydoug

I wish Harding all the best but I don't want to see a gamble on him.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
At the trade deadline, we should look into acquiring Harding.

I don't mean to sound callous, but at this point, I don't think he carries the "goalie of the future" tag for anyone, so he won't have a huge price tag.

He can still play, he's better than Crawford, and right now it looks like Chicago has a better chance of winning the Cup than Minnesota (at least this year). We might be able to get him that Stanley Cup ring before it's too late.
You don't think we'd have a better chance at Backstrom during the deadline? If they let him walk because of his cap hit I'd think they'd want a little something in return if it looks like they might miss the playoffs.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
You don't think we'd have a better chance at Backstrom during the deadline? If they let him walk because of his cap hit I'd think they'd want a little something in return if it looks like they might miss the playoffs.
I think Minnesota is going to make the playoffs this year, in which case they probably wouldn't be trading their starter away.

But their backup who the clock is unfortunately ticking for? I think so.

And I think he could do damage behind this roster in the playoffs.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
digdug41982

It would be a great story and great for Harding if he could get a legit shot at both being a starter and starting for a Cup contender on a run. However, they have him under contract for the next three years and it makes more sense for the team to keep him. He just signed a cheap, 3 year deal. They will let Backstrom walk and use Harding as the starter with Hackett working his way up to the role. Consider their cap situation too, Harding/Hackett is cheap and quality.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Sarava

Crawford has looked good these first 2 games. You gotta give him his credit. I still don't trust him as the longterm solution though.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we shouldn't trust him until he proves us wrong...

As of now, Corey is our Goalie

Old
01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I agree Crawford has looked better so far, still shaky at times and I don't trust him fully but better.

That is why I think acquiring someone young but will lots of upside is the solution. Acquiring a proven goalie will cost us more and move Crawford to the bench and basically end his career in Chicago, with the cap going down next year the Hawks won't have a $3 million back-up.

Meanwhile getting someone younger and not proven will cost Chicago less then a proven starter, it will also allow Crawford to keep his job for now and allow him to prove he can do the job.

To me it's the best of both worlds, get someone who could be great for years to come, not pay a premium, allow Crawford to continue to try and prove he can do the job.

Plus I just don't trust Kipper, Theo, Backstrom, Nabby any more. These are goalies whose best years are behind them and who all are likely to play another year after this season at most and suddenly the Hawks have no goaltending.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Crawford is not the guy ,, Hawks need to trade for a real goalie

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Hawkaholic

A breakaway goal and a guy standing in front of him with no Hawk within 10' of him goal. Not really something to judge him on.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

a breakaway goal? A goal he already made the save and still wasn't able to keep out of the net - TWICE

That just can't happen. Low standards for goaltending here. Just look at what Lehtonen does today to see a goalie you can win with

Old
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
a breakaway goal? A goal he already made the save and still wasn't able to keep out of the net - TWICE

That just can't happen. Low standards for goaltending here. Just look at what Lehtonen does today to see a goalie you can win with
You want a goalie like Lehtonen, goodbye to one of the big guns.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
A breakaway goal and a guy standing in front of him with no Hawk within 10' of him goal. Not really something to judge him on.
On occasion....players would like to know, with their goaltender, the puck doesn't always end up in the back of the net with every brain fart the D has. With Cory....pretty much every one does.

Wasted Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Hawkaholic

1 bad goal this season and he gets **** on. Give the guy a break, he had no training camp, was barely tested in the first 40mins and had a good 3rd.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
digdug41982

Crawford was good, give me a ****ing break. Stopped a god damn penalty shot too!

Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
You want a goalie like Lehtonen, goodbye to one of the big guns.
not really, bye bye Craw and Stalberg walks as UFA. Maybe replace Frolik with a rookie and here you have enough Cap Space

Quote:
1 bad goal this season and he gets **** on. Give the guy a break, he had no training camp, was barely tested in the first 40mins and had a good 3rd.
Give him a break? not that he was bad 1 year long.

He wasn't bad, but this can not happen. He needs to stop those pucks no doubt about it. He looks good so far, but that was never his problem. Just like the POs. He was good and kept us in the game until he thought it's time to become the easter bunny and lay some eggs

Last edited by Bubba88: 01-25-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
On occasion....players would like to know, with their goaltender, the puck doesn't always end up in the back of the net with every brain fart the D has. With Cory....pretty much every one does.
This is it, everyone knocks the D because of the mistakes they make. Let me ask you something, does anyone remember a D mistake when the goalie makes the save? NO! If Crawford could stop the mistakes no one remembers them.

Like Leddy somehow getting blamed for the goal last year. Yes he made a bad play, but he hustled back and stopped a shot from being taken. Crawford let's this non-shot trickle through his legs and people blame Leddy. If Crawford doesn't wet the bed no one remembers Leddy play, that's the difference.

Has Crawford played well so far, yes better, good at times but not great. Do I have confidence that Crawford can win a game no matter what, no and that's what we are talking about. If the Hawks don't score 3+ and don't get 30 shots and get outplayed will they win the game, mist likely not, where as many other teams can still feel they will because their goalie can steal a game.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

yeah, that's what comes to my mind too. If we don't score 3+ goals, we won't win. 2 Goals may be enough to get into the OT.

That's not how it should be.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

The Blackhawks remind me of the current way to win in the NFL. Get a defense that is just meh (goalie in this case) and an offense that will win by just out scoring the opponent. While I wish we had a better goalie, I think Crawford is improved from last year, but still not as good as we would all hope.

He may still improve more, but even if he allows 2.5 goals a game average, our offense should still be able to take care of business.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
not really, bye bye Craw and Stalberg walks as UFA. Maybe replace Frolik with a rookie and here you have enough Cap Space
So where is this goalie coming from? Because goalies like Lehtonen don't become UFA's.

Quote:
Give him a break? not that he was bad 1 year long.

He wasn't bad, but this can not happen. He needs to stop those pucks no doubt about it. He looks good so far, but that was never his problem. Just like the POs. He was good and kept us in the game until he thought it's time to become the easter bunny and lay some eggs
What about the season where he was great? He has stopped the pucks we have needed him too.

I can't believe people are complaining when Crow is 3-0-0 with a 1.98GAA and a 920sv%. He's let in 1 BAD GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-25-2013, 09:12 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Crawford is not the guy ,, Hawks need to trade for a real goalie
Ay...way to be BWC. You never cease to jump to conclusions. Oh wait.....
Well, actually, you hated Stalberg forever and he's good. So, keep hating on Crawford please.

Way to make an inane judgment after three games. He was outstanding against the Blues and passable in the other two games. Give it some time.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Speaking of goalies, Niemi gave up some horrid goals last night. You go out and get somebody to replace Emery and put some pressure on Crawford. Don't have to mortgage the future of the team.

Crawford... .1.98 and .923. He stays around here and this team is fine.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Sarava

Quote:
So where is this goalie coming from? Because goalies like Lehtonen don't become UFA's.

What about the season where he was great? He has stopped the pucks we have needed him too.

I can't believe people are complaining when Crow is 3-0-0 with a 1.98GAA and a 920sv%. He's let in 1 BAD GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unless I'm misreading something - I don't think we're complaining about how he has played so far. He has played pretty well in his first 3 games. And I'll even say that I'm disappointed that he probably won't be in the net for the Columbus game that I'm driving out too tomorrow.

It's just a lack of trust going forward - particularly in the playoffs. When he capped off a horrendous regular season with those 2 OT goals - particularly the one that wasn't even a shot on goal. It just inspires a lack of confidence.

At the very least - at least upgrade emery and bring in someone that *might* push Crawford. Trading a Morin or a Hayes (or hell both of them) for Bishop would be better than doing nothing.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote