HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[DAL] Benn re-signed (5 years, 5.25 per)

Old
01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

vCash: 500
Awesome. Hope he can come in firing on all cylinders now.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
We wanted the longer term. He wanted the short-term. The money was not that big an issue. He's giving up one UFA year and that is great.
Ok but why not go for more UFA years then like 7. Don't you think it would be a lot hard to re-sign him when he is going to be a spending UFA then it would be if he was still an RFA

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:06 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
but ROR no longer has the KHL contract.
Avs were offering 3.5? I think that's fair compare to Benn's 5.25. Maybe around 4?
I guess he could sit out since he got some money from KHL.
I think this signing should have a ripple effect. I'd expect PK and ROR to sign within the weekend.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:06 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Maybe JN said take it or leave it. It's not a bad deal for Benn. He tried to get shorter term so he can go to FA faster but didn't work out I guess.

but ROR no longer has the KHL contract.
Avs were offering 3.5? I think that's fair compare to Benn's 5.25. Maybe around 4?
I guess he could sit out since he got some money from KHL.
3 years kept him as an RFA, but he could've just gone to arbitration, get a 1 year deal and gone UFA.

His KHL contract was just voided though, so he might re-sign pretty soon as well.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:09 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Ok but why not go for more UFA years then like 7. Don't you think it would be a lot hard to re-sign him when he is going to be a spending UFA then it would be if he was still an RFA
Because then we'd be paying him 6+M easily, probably more.

And to whoever said it'll take more than 5 years to get Dallas contending, that's dead wrong. It fits right in with when our peak should be. Most of our major prospects should be regulars within 1-2 years, and should be at about their best within 3-5.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:09 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Ok but why not go for more UFA years then like 7.
Player wants to make more money, management wants to give less...they compromise on terms that (kinda, sorta) work for both. Simple.

Quote:
Don't you think it would be a lot hard to re-sign him when he is going to be a spending UFA then it would be if he was still an RFA
Why would it be hard, unless we really really mess up in our "rebuild" process? Maybe it's easier and we extend him a year prior to hitting UFA. Why the hell not?

And why does the RFA status of a player make things easier? Was this episode easy? Was it any easier for NSH vis-a-vis Weber for 2 straight years?

Old
01-24-2013, 09:13 PM
TOML

Lol at Lupul getting the same deal.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:16 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Player wants to make more money, management wants to give less...they compromise on terms that (kinda, sorta) work for both. Simple.

Why would it be hard, unless we really really mess up in our "rebuild" process? Maybe it's easier and we extend him a year prior to hitting UFA. Why the hell not?

And why does the RFA status of a player make things easier? Was this episode easy? Was it any easier for NSH vis-a-vis Weber for 2 straight years?
I know it's tough, but look at Nashville, they actually got to keep Weber and it seemed like he wanted to leave. Another thing to look at is Perry and Getz with the Ducks, both are UFA this summer, and I'm just speculating but they can basically as for the moon and if they don't get it they will treat to walk in July, if they were maybe still a 1 away from UFA ducks might have a little more control like Nashville did with Weber

Old
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM
JVR21
G

Steal of a contract.

My fantasy team thanks both parties involved. Get him back on the ice.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Lol at Lupul getting the same deal.

TOML

Lol at you not knowing the difference between RFA and UFA

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I dont think the Benn signing is a steal but me thinks he would have gotten more than that on the open market. These NHL contracts are just crazy. Hes a better player than Lupul so I guess the dollars make sense. Happy to see Benn resigned by the team that drafted and developed him. Its amazing how many teams and their so called scouts overlooked this guy because of level of competition. These same scouts and GMs are now drafting High School players in the 1st rd.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:25 PM
roboninja
EYG

Very good deal for both sides. Grats to Dallas fans, big day.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I know it's tough, but look at Nashville, they actually got to keep Weber and it seemed like he wanted to leave.
Which shows that RFA/UFA means squat. Might I say, it's a painful process with an RFA- Yashin with Ottawa or Peca with Buffalo- pick your poison. What we went through with Richards or NJ went through with Parise doesn't even compare to those episodes. It's a quick chop and it's done with a UFA. With an RFA, it just drags on and on.

Quote:
Another thing to look at is Perry and Getz with the Ducks, both are UFA this summer, and I'm just speculating but they can basically as for the moon and if they don't get it they will treat to walk in July, if they were maybe still a 1 away from UFA ducks might have a little more control like Nashville did with Weber
Consider this my last attempt at explaining:

Such deals have to work out for both. If Dallas hands out lots of money for a 8 year term, then we set a precedent for top-dollar extensions in our organization for the up and coming prospects. Can't have that, especially when we still have to sign Roy. At the same time, the player wants to maximize his earning potential, so the team had to agree to give him that opportunity. What the team now needs to do is to build a winner and make him happy. That's it.

And as for Perry and Getzlaf- they're Anaheim's problem. I believe they'll figure something out.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Which shows that RFA/UFA means squat. Might I say, it's a painful process with an RFA- Yashin with Ottawa or Peca with Buffalo- pick your poison. What we went through with Richards or NJ went through with Parise doesn't even compare to those episodes. It's a quick chop and it's done with a UFA. With an RFA, it just drags on and on.

Consider this my last attempt at explaining:

Such deals have to work out for both. If Dallas hands out lots of money for a 8 year term, then we set a precedent for top-dollar extensions in our organization for the up and coming prospects. Can't have that, especially when we still have to sign Roy. At the same time, the player wants to maximize his earning potential, so the team had to agree to give him that opportunity. What the team now needs to do is to build a winner and make him happy. That's it.

And as for Perry and Getzlaf- they're Anaheim's problem. I believe they'll figure something out.
No need to explain anymore, expect ill just say this, while it might be some headaches, at some point the team could have got value for the player, Parise walked and NJ got nothing, but the Sens at least got a return for Yashin.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
TheBleedingEdge

Good signing, the first 5.25 payed year might be a bit high but he will be a steal of a deal the rest of the way.

Good luck Dallas.

TheBleedingEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
YESSSSSS!

/noonecaresaboutmyfantasyteam

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
BlueDream

Great contract.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
No need to explain anymore, expect ill just say this, while it might be some headaches, at some point the team could have got value for the player, Parise walked and NJ got nothing, but the Sens at least got a return for Yashin.
Because the Islanders were quite stupid to give a #2 overall (Spezza) and Zdeno Friggin' Chara for someone like Yashin- who was a good player, but had major attitude issues and was flaky. You can't deny how awful that episode was for the Senators. It'd have been easier for them had he been a UFA and just left.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Holy lord that's a steal. Congrats Stars fans. Was hoping the Devils could snatch him from you guys lol

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Because the Islanders were quite stupid to give a #2 overall (Spezza) and Zdeno Friggin' Chara for someone like Yashin- who was a good player, but had major attitude issues and was flaky. You can't deny how awful that episode was for the Senators. It'd have been easier for them had he been a UFA and just left.
Disagree

But I don't wanna keep going off topic

Old
01-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Makes the contracts of Koivu, Parise, and Heatley look even sillier.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:49 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Great deal. Looks like Stars got what they want

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Fozz

It's not a bad deal but I don't see how buying only one extra year of UFA status is such a win for the Stars.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Makes the contracts of Koivu, Parise, and Heatley look even sillier.
UFAs vs RFA... Big difference.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Disagree

But I don't wanna keep going off topic
That's fine. I was talking about the headache, the holdout, and other issues that really soured relationships. It doesn't look good on both player and franchise. Hindsight is 20/20 after a trade like that is made, so you're right on that aspect. Ottawa simply killed them in that deal. Then again, they also could've gotten the same as Hossa or Kovalchuk did (which is really nothing), if it weren't for the stupidity of the Islanders' front-office.