HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#03 | New York Islanders vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | Jan 24 | W 7-4

Old
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Islesfan22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief631 View Post
Ill keep an eye on the game but with him in goal just makes me nervous
I have a feeling first shot goal. To bad we don't have a real backup NHL goalie.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:18 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Love the Leafs GDT, tears everywhere. "Beat buy a bunch of cast-offs and waiver pick ups."
im so glad we beat the tar outta the leafs, i still hold a grudge against them for 01-02 playoffs LOL. with kadri's quick start, leaf fans are going nuts, they were prob buggin out when they scored that 3rd goal; "we got this wrapped up"

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Biggest question marks on our team right now. The 4th line. Reasoner is really bad especially. Goaltending. I have faith in Nabby but he had 2 3 goal periods in a row between the 3rd against the Lightning and the first today. Also DP as the backup is scary. Then finally Finley. Holy smokes is this guy awful. Like crazy awful. Lubomir can't get here soon enough. Our D is actually pretty good now. We are finally getting secondary scoring. Grabner looks amazing and Boyes looks like a good replacement for PA. If Bailey can come back and play well we will be in business.
Regarding Finley. I thought he was pretty decent tonight. There was only 1 instance where I yelled at him through the TV. I think he was like 5 feet from a loose puck and he got beat to it by a guy who was about 9 feet away from it. He was truly horrific in the 1st game. Less terrible in the 2nd, and tonight I thought he was fine besides for that 1 play. With that said, get Hickey in here ASAP

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
im so glad we beat the tar outta the leafs, i still hold a grudge against them for 01-02 playoffs LOL. with kadri's quick start, leaf fans are going nuts, they were prob buggin out when they scored that 3rd goal; "we got this wrapped up"
So do i. Game 6 was probably the most amped up i have ever been for a game. Leafs fans were getting abused all game long at the Coliseum.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Bexlyspeed

so how quickly do the leafs sell off all their prospects and draft picks to acquire Luongo?

nice comeback tonight. we have a hard working team and they got it done tonight.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
StumpNYI

I swear, after two games, everyone had already pegged the Pens to win the cup.

One game later...

Gotta love hockey.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:29 PM
I left the gate open

Great win tonight! My only concern: I think they have given up a goal right after scoring one three times so far. Just hope it doesn't become like last season's "give up a goal on the first shot against."

That said, they've shown resilience. Definitely a more mature team. Comforting to think that the prospects will really need to compete for jobs.

I left the gate open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:33 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Without a doubt going to watch as Toronto scores a late third period goal to make it 4-3. This is the Islander way.
Without a doubt!

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Stercrazy

Ok....overall I thought it was a nice game from the aspect that the Isles battled back and then some. They are working hard which is also nice to see. Hope it continues.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
kpap57

I'm confused. Thought I was watching an islander game tonight. Mark my words strait is going to be that surprise pick up of the year. I know seems early, but have always had a keen eye/ good track record for these things.

While boyes had a great O game, I thought his back check and overall D/hustle play was lacking.

Was cracking up with the post of moulson celebrating that goal with the leafs player. Thought the same thing. I really hope Tavares is ok, but more than that I hope he doesn't try to hide his symptoms. We all know the drive of this guy.
I'm a lil worried about bailey coming back. I like how this team is finnaly built somewhat right. 3rd line with grit and Speed. 4th line with some punch. Reasoner needs to be replaced. Guy has no fire. Never underestimate a good speed transition with cycling and winning battles. This is what that 3rd line is doing, which leaves me less shocked with the secondary scoring. 3rd like with aucoin is keeping the momentum created by the first and second line.

Last edited by kpap57: 01-24-2013 at 10:41 PM.
kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
bluechipbonzo

1st line: Tavares looked good, but needs more out of Moulson and KO. Both are holding him back with their limited speed and lack of tenacity. Both should have gone to Europe.

2nd line: best line tonight IMO, if not only for their individual contributions- Frans solid as always, and Grabner looking confident. Boyes starting to come along- feeling like for the first time in three games I saw a little chemistry here.

3rd line: Aucoin showing his experience and taking advantage of his timing level having played a lot already this season. Ullstrom didn't hurt us and created a few chances off the rush and the cycle. C-Mac looks slow, but uses his size some. Can see why Nino is frustrated here.

4th line: Reasoner is slow and frankly, just awful. CC looks small out there compared to Reasoner (!) and you don't see the same player you do in the AHL. You have to wonder if both he and Matt Martin aren't being wasted on the fourth line- you would think both would thrive with more minutes- Cizikas certainly seems to be having trouble getting his motor running hot in this limited role. Really like to see Bailey and Joensuu back to bump Casey back to the AHL for more seasoning. Really, though, Reasoner should just be waived. Maybe after Casey gets acclimated, he takes over from Reasoner here, and we see McDonald slide onto the fourth line...

Moulson--JT--Okposo
Boyes--Frans--Grabner
Bailey--Aucoin--Ullstrom
Martin--Cizikas--McDonald/Joensuu

Finley is just awful on defense. Strait looks like our number 3, with the way he brings a little physicality to an all-around smart game. A bigger A-Mac as someone else stated. Great pick-up. I think you'll see Hickey get his first start Sunday- they'll want Finley in against the Bruins tomorrow, you would think...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Nino is looking like a little self-entitled punk after this game

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I left the gate open View Post
Great win tonight! My only concern: I think they have given up a goal right after scoring one three times so far. Just hope it doesn't become like last season's "give up a goal on the first shot against."

That said, they've shown resilience. Definitely a more mature team. Comforting to think that the prospects will really need to compete for jobs.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to read any of your post because I was enrage and full of hatred after seeing your name and avatar

Awesome game so happy I was able to tune in at the start of the second period guess I was the good luck charm.. Tomorrow should be interesting if DP gets the nod I'm almost nervous for him haha.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Biggest question marks on our team right now. The 4th line. Reasoner is really bad especially. Goaltending. I have faith in Nabby but he had 2 3 goal periods in a row between the 3rd against the Lightning and the first today. Also DP as the backup is scary. Then finally Finley. Holy smokes is this guy awful. Like crazy awful. Lubomir can't get here soon enough. Our D is actually pretty good now. We are finally getting secondary scoring. Grabner looks amazing and Boyes looks like a good replacement for PA. If Bailey can come back and play well we will be in business.
You touched on a lot of things I was gonna come post about.

Reasoner, and basically all of the guys who hadn't really been playing during the lockout, just isn't/aren't looking all that in-sync right now, as could have been expected. This current game is just too fast for Reasoner - that was already evident last season. I really hate it though when he can't even get the puck out of his own zone with a few seconds to boot. That's just a TERRIBLE weakness for a guy is essentially your 'defensive' center.

As far as Finley is concerned, I'm at the point now where I'll be SHOCKED if they dress him tomorrow. Wrote it after the first game - absolutely NO reason to have Finley and Carkner in this line-up at the same, meaning Finley should only be there when Carkner is injured (which will likely come at some point). Finley's hockey sense and acumen just aren't NHL-caliber. He got beat a lot tonight. Sure, Carkner has some muscle, but he can be pushed off the puck easily and is neither quick nor all that positionally sound. Might be lockout rust, but color me somewhat unimpressed thus far, even if he seems to make a safe first pass. I see him as more of a liability out there at the moment. Actually, after three games now, you can kinda see why he's had injury problems - he can push, but he gets shoved as well.

Strait has done pretty ok, but saw some weaknesses out there tonight that I hadn't noticed in the first few games. Still looking like a good 6/7/8 Dman, although he's been given better minutes than that thus far. Still, he and Carkner were switched up at some point tonight, no later than in the third...

All this said, unless Martinek is really aching or actually hurt, I can only imagine him being an upgrade in the skill and on-ice awareness departments. I'm also really starting to wonder when and how they'll work in Hickey? Today's came is more about skating and positioning and I cannot imagine him being anything but a step up from Finley, and perhaps even Strait and Carkner in those departments as well.

Aucoin has been real face-off wizard and his slight but important offensive contributions the past few games have really helped. You can see why he's predominantly been an AHLer, but he's out there doing what he can and getting more and more comfortable.

Thought Hamonic looked really shoddy in the first period. Ullstrom looked brutally bad a few times in the first as well. Just about the whole team came out pretty flat, which is what I had actually expected from the Leafs, coming off a road win the night before.

All the happier - and impressed - that they turned this thing around. Really glad that Grabner and Moulson picked up the slack. Nielsen has quietly been solid.

I do really hope that this team proves better once Bailey and Joensuu are back in the line-up, although to be realistic, even then they'll both have to get used to the sway of things and develop some chemistry with someone, somewhere. I'm guessing Cizikas and McDonald will be heading back down to the farm when they're back, unless McDonald has to go on waivers to be sent down. In that case, the team MIGHT send Ullstrom down instead.

That bridge will be crossed once reached.

Lastly, gotta give Nabakov some credit. A lot of goalies would have been mentally 'broken' after that first period. He picked things up and did it with a "Ho hum, just another day at the office." attitude.

TORONTO:
- Goaltending was brutal, thank goodness
- Defensive miscues were shockingly bad at times
- Kadri is actually looking like one of their better players AND is using the body. Who'da thunk it?
- Frattin had quite a season debut when all was said and done
- Boy, Phaneuf can really be a princess out there. Oy, oy, oy...

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-24-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:44 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Moulson--JT--Okposo
Boyes--Frans--Grabner
Bailey--Aucoin--Ullstrom
Martin--Cizikas--McDonald/Joensuu

Finley is just awful on defense. Strait looks like our number 3, with the way he brings a little physicality to an all-around smart game. A bigger A-Mac as someone else stated. Great pick-up. I think you'll see Hickey get his first start Sunday- they'll want Finley in against the Bruins tomorrow, you would think...
I agree with the lines above, But where's Boulton? No seriously, not just on the lines above, anyone see him. I could swear we signed him in the off-season. Another quality add.

The team is better with Cizikas and either Joensuu or McDonald in the lineup, but those will be the guys sent down so Boulton and Reasoner can stay and collect paychecks and waste Matt Martins time.

Finley is a waste of space (a lot of space)

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
19NYSports91

Isles 2-0 when I watch on DVR and not live. I watched the first period live during my break, pretty surprised they came back. Have to give a little credit to Capuano I guess. Amac-Hamonic logged a lot of minutes tonight, around 29.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
giddy up*

JVR "celebrating" with Moulson is hilarious.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:52 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
JVR "celebrating" with Moulson is hilarious.
At first I was like what the hell is going on here lol.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:55 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I agree with the lines above, But where's Boulton? No seriously, not just on the lines above, anyone see him. I could swear we signed him in the off-season. Another quality add.

The team is better with Cizikas and either Joensuu or McDonald in the lineup, but those will be the guys sent down so Boulton and Reasoner can stay and collect paychecks and waste Matt Martins time.

Finley is a waste of space (a lot of space)
I'm not so sure...I think it's funny that Boulton is being held back- Garf can't be reading these boards, can he?

Actually I think it shows that a lot of us overreact to minor signings like Boulton, and now they're not really even playing him. He's tough guy insurance, nothing more, and Garf and Jack should get credit for keeping things that way.

Maybe McDonald does stay, or maybe they like the idea of losing Joensuu less...it will certainly be interesting as these guys come back.

Any timeline on either JJ or Bailey? Guesses anyone?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:57 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Isles 2-0 when I watch on DVR and not live. I watched the first period live during my break, pretty surprised they came back. Have to give a little credit to Capuano I guess. Amac-Hamonic logged a lot of minutes tonight, around 29.
Well, you now know what you must do. God speed.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:00 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
Well, you now know what you must do. God speed.
I'm working tomorrow so I'll be DVRing the game. The most annoying thing is getting text messages from my friends, luckily I changed the settings on my iphone so that I can't see their message.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I swear, after two games, everyone had already pegged the Pens to win the cup.

One game later...

Gotta love hockey.
Wheres the picture of the Rangers in last?

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

AMac + Hamonic with 29+ minutes in a regulation game. Think this may be the year where they really establish themselves as a quality first pairing.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
RealSturat

I thought NHL Tonight on NHL Network claims it highlights every game of the night. So far, the Isles game has not even been mentioned.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
I thought NHL Tonight on NHL Network claims it highlights every game of the night. So far, the Isles game has not even been mentioned.
A lot of game tonight, 10 I think. Games are still going on too. It's going to be late for our highlights.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote