HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Yeah, well, who won the War?

Old
01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Hell, dress them both and sit two of the current top 6. Plenty of options for a benching on the backend.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Myers
Leopold
Sekera

At least one of these guys should see the press box tomorrow. Ennis was also horrid, throw my vote in with a Stafford - Grigs - Ennis line. Foligno has just been invisible so far.

VHP was our only offense but they also played **** defensively, got scored on a ton. They were taking really long shifts and kept getting caught on the ice when they were gassed.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:22 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

One game should not cause panic but we got the bounces in the first 2 games to win--not as if we were clear winners. Maybe Myers and Leopold can sit and Weber and Brennan take their places. Also--I think it is unfair to bench Grigs and not the older, experienced, higher priced players when they did the same. Grigs is there for offence-let him show what he can do with appropriate linemates or don"t bother-trade him now for what Ruff likes--Keith Aucoin!! If I knew how to do the smiley thing I would....

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes
Ruff's late-game use of Grigorenko is noteworthy. 5:49 of work in 3rd (3rd among Sabres forwards) after a combined 5:58 in 1st/2nd.
well

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
slip

Yeah, they sucked tonight. Bench'em all.

But I'm more curious to see how they respond tomorrow night. Their response will reveal way more about the character of this team than tonight's loss, IMO.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Reddawg

Enroth was so bad tonight...Miller would have made that game a 3-1 victory. Corner, corner, fivehole, corner...I would imagine that will quiet the "trade Miller" base for a while.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Enroth was so bad tonight...Miller would have made that game a 3-1 victory. Corner, corner, fivehole, corner...I would imagine that will quiet the "trade Miller" base for a while.
With that defense, it would have been close. Tonight was a total failure in defensive hockey.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:48 PM
MLH

I said it last season and hardly anyone agreed, but Myers' rookie season is looking more and more like the aberration.

It's going to be tough for Lindy not to ride Miller hard when Enroth hasn't won in 12 starts.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
I said it last season and hardly anyone agreed, but Myers' rookie season is looking more and more like the aberration.

It's going to be tough for Lindy not to ride Miller hard when Enroth hasn't won in 12 starts.

I think part of the problem is he has been trying to become more physical and its not a natural part of his game. Things like looking for the big hit, engaging in board battles or is trying to constantly engage physically in and around the net are not his thing. When he was allowed to be more of an offensive dman and a positional defender (like Tallinder) in his rookie season, he was very productive.

But for that to happen again he needs a good mobile defensive dman with him. Jame was spot on when he said Myers was going to badly miss Tallinder.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Let Myers be who he wants to be. If that's his rookie year for the rest of his career I'd be ecstatic.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Since production outside of VHP has been very low I think the team needs to simplify things. Get pucks to the net. Do not force shots. Shoot it wide from the point and look for deflection/rebound off the boards as opposed to trying to make the perfect shot into a knee pad.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Reddawg

Quote:

I've been saying the same thing about Myers for near enough to two years now. He's our Barrett Jackman.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:05 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think part of the problem is he has been trying to become more physical and its not a natural part of his game. Things like looking for the big hit, engaging in board battles or is trying to constantly engage physically in and around the net are not his thing. When he was allowed to be more of an offensive dman and a positional defender (like Tallinder) in his rookie season, he was very productive.

But for that to happen again he needs a good mobile defensive dman with him. Jame was spot on when he said Myers was going to badly miss Tallinder.
Not that I disagree with you, but it's pretty concerning when things like "engaging in board battles" cause a supposedly franchise caliber defenseman to look like he should be scratched.

In my opinion, he's had more and longer stretches of brutal play since his rookie year than above average play. He's got the natural ability to turn it around, but if he doesn't, his contract will be extremely hard to deal with.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:07 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I've been saying the same thing about Myers for near enough to two years now. He's our Barrett Jackman.
Curious analogy. How do you arrive at Jackman?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

blind squirrel / nut

cut it out, you're gonna ruin my reputation

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:22 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
blind squirrel / nut

cut it out, you're gonna ruin my reputation
You still think Sekera is the best fit for now?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
You still think Sekera is the best fit for now?
he's the best, and only fit

the moment we started the season with regehr-myers, i knew it was going to be another season struggling through lindy's daft assessments.

remember, it took him 5 years to put pommer/vanek together

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Not that I disagree with you, but it's pretty concerning when things like "engaging in board battles" cause a supposedly franchise caliber defenseman to look like he should be scratched.

In my opinion, he's had more and longer stretches of brutal play since his rookie year than above average play. He's got the natural ability to turn it around, but if he doesn't, his contract will be extremely hard to deal with.
I think you're forgetting how reckless and aggressive offensively he was his rookie season. Its why he was so productive. Getting to that point total he led the entire NHL in giveaways his rookie year with 94. He's actually had far less the two seasons after that with 67 and 44 in 55gms last year (roughly a 67 giveaway pace for a full season). He got away with that aggression because Tallinder covered for him as did Miller who was having a great season. But Myers is no where near as reckless and turnover prone now as he was as a rookie.

What I mean with board battles not being his game is this. His rookie year he would play a positional defensive game in our zone to deny passing options and try to close down opposing players. He was pretty good at it with that wingspan. But now he gives up that advantage by moving closer to an opposing player to engage in a board battle and its led to worse d-zone play by Myers.

Ruff needs to let Myers get back to the recklessly attacking offensive dman he was in his rookie year and stop trying to turn him into Chris Pronger.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-24-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I think you're forgetting how reckless and aggressive offensively he was his rookie season. Its why he was so productive. Getting to that point total he led the entire NHL in giveaways his rookie year with 94. He's actually had far less the two seasons after that with 67 and 44 in 55gms last year (roughly a 67 giveaway pace for a full season). He got away with that aggression because Tallinder covered for him as did Miller who was having a great season. But Myers is no where near as reckless and turnover prone now as he was as a rookie.

What I mean with board battles not being his game is this. His rookie year he would play a positional defensive game in our zone to deny passing options and try to close down opposing players. He was pretty good at it with that wingspan. But now he gives up that advantage by moving closer to an opposing player to engage in a board battle and its led to worse d-zone play by Myers.

Ruff needs to let Myers get back to the recklessly aggressive attacking offensive dman he was in his rookie year and stop trying to turn him into Chris Pronger. I don't think its in him.
I agree 100% with the bolded... and that aggression/change in style, has limited his ability to counter attack as often... which was his greatest strength

they should've let him continue developing into Scott Niedermayer +1 foot

but... lindy ruff

Old
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
he's the best, and only fit

the moment we started the season with regehr-myers, i knew it was going to be another season struggling through lindy's daft assessments.

remember, it took him 5 years to put pommer/vanek together
And Leo/RR has been a good pair before for us and even back in CGY.

Quote:
I agree 100% with the bolded... and that aggression/change in style, has limited his ability to counter attack as often... which was his greatest strength

they should've let him continue developing into Scott Niedermayer +1 foot

but... lindy ruff
I didn't want to say it, but yeah. I blame Ruff for Myers' woes.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Takeo

So the board is calling for benchings in game #4?

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
So the board is calling for benchings in game #4?
Listen, listen good.

Bench the team.

HF members are starters.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Bad:
- I stayed awake until 3.30 am for that crap
Ugly:
- on a work night

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Luceni

I'm a bit worried.

It seems to be, that our first line and Miller have to do all by themself. No secondary scoring, not much help from the so called defense for the goalie neither. Besides Enroth didn't have one of his better nights....

Hope they go out and play hard fot a win tomorrow. Get at least one point tomorrow. stay ovver .500...

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Ted Black

I don't think it was as bad as some of you make it out. Our D was terrible though.

We're not going to win every game. The Hurricanes were playing desperate hockey and while we didn't match that effort, we gave a much more solid effort than we would have in years past, IMO. I'm not too worried. Canes were playing like it was game 7. Myers is really starting to irritate me though, as is Ennis.

We'll be fine. It kind of drives me nuts how emotional this board gets. Win a couple and we're a contender. Lose one and a lot of posters are ready to blow it up.

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote