HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Claim Brian Strait

Old
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'd argue Mario Lemieux has us in the playoffs.

MAYBE....Roy, but definitely Mario.
definitely NEITHER Roy or Lemieux.

Mario missed the playoffs his first four or five years in the league, despite his dominant scoring. Patrick Roy wouldn't do much with that team in front of him, except maybe be the first goalie to get an instigating minor, major for fighting and suspended for biting one of his own defensemen!

Isles need TWO "very good" forwards and TWO "very good" defensemen (one might be Visnovsky if he shows up) and they can make the playoffs. IF they stay healthy. IF Nabby plays the way he can.

---
Was watching Minny yesterday, boy does Parise and Suter make a world of difference. So now Granlund get to start his rookie year with Setoguchi and Heatley or Matt Cullen. Granlund looked very good, better than I thought he'd play early in his NHL career. Such a smart player, great offensive instincts and vision. They look really good, all for the low low price of $200Million dollars

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post

We need this beard
Gonna have to make the playoffs to see that.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Star Defenseman do not grow on trees. Maybe the Islanders should have drafted Karlsson instead of Bailey. Then again quite a few teams passed on him. A guy like Spurgeon should have never been let go. Other than that, "Who was available for the Islanders to get through free agency/trade?"
Shultz?
Garrison?
Erhoff? Who didnt want to come here anyway.
Every team is looking for top D-man and thats why teams are over drafting right now.
Karlsson and Bailey could have developed differently with different franchises. We don't know what would have happened.

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Gonna have to make the playoffs to see that.
he looks like he could be on that Gold Rush show. solid beard

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
StrongIslanders90

2 solid games from him...I cant wait to see Hickey

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Defense. Defense. Defense. Kind of surprised.
Shocking...

Though hopefully one of these waiver pickups pans out...

Not holding my breath though.

01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Islanders1932

I have not really noticed Strait and when you can say that about a defenceman then it is a good thing because it means they are doing their job and not making mistakes

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Hipster Doofus

Positionally sound. Uses his size to seperate the puck. Takes shots when able to. Good wheels. I like this player. He can play hockey.

Joe Finley is garbage. Guy cant skate and got benched. I hope Radek or Hickey are next.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Looks good so far. No glaring mistakes.

01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Does he add a physical or puck moving element?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

I mean, he's not crushing people as they come over the blue line, but he uses his body well. Last season I remember getting so frustrated that when a forward would go to the outside, our d-men would just drape them and jab their sticks at the puck while doing nothing to actually separate the forward from the puck. In the first game this season, a Devil went to the outside and Strait put him into the boards immediately. It was a refreshing thing to see. Smart moving the puck as well. Good wheels. Haven't seen anything noteworthy about his play in the offensive zone though. But overall, I'm pretty impressed with this player. I don't know about him as a first-pair defenseman at this point, which is what we're using him as, but so far he looks like a keeper.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
He's more of a positional guy than someone who's going step up and thump people like a Witt or an Orpik.

His game relies more on taking away time and space, angling guys off and using his stick to take away passing lanes. I don't know if the Isles have used him on the PK yet, but he's good at deflecting away passes and neutralizing guys in slot by tying up their sticks.

He's a good skater and decent enough with the puck that you won't worry when he has it, but you won't get excited either. He does have a crisp, accurate breakout pass though, and that's likely where he'll get the majority of his points.

There's a lot to like about his game in his own end, but you really need to focus on him to notice most of it.

His offensive game is pretty forgettable, but that's not the role he's playing.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He's more of a positional guy than someone who's going step up and thump people like a Witt or an Orpik.

His game relies more on taking away time and space, angling guys off and using his stick to take away passing lanes. I don't know if the Isles have used him on the PK yet, but he's good at deflecting away passes and neutralizing guys in slot by tying up their sticks.

He's a good skater and decent enough with the puck that you won't worry when he has it, but you won't get excited either. He does have a crisp, accurate breakout pass though, and that's likely where he'll get the majority of his points.

There's a lot to like about his game in his own end, but you really need to focus on him to notice most of it.

They eased him into the 2nd PK against Tampa Bay. I think you will see him play more on the PK as he gets use to the Islanders system.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
They eased him into the 2nd PK against Tampa Bay. I think you will see him play more on the PK as he gets use to the Islanders system.
As soon as the Islanders picked up Brian, I knew we would see you here.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:31 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
I mean, he's not crushing people as they come over the blue line, but he uses his body well. Last season I remember getting so frustrated that when a forward would go to the outside, our d-men would just drape them and jab their sticks at the puck while doing nothing to actually separate the forward from the puck. In the first game this season, a Devil went to the outside and Strait put him into the boards immediately. It was a refreshing thing to see. Smart moving the puck as well. Good wheels. Haven't seen anything noteworthy about his play in the offensive zone though. But overall, I'm pretty impressed with this player. I don't know about him as a first-pair defenseman at this point, which is what we're using him as, but so far he looks like a keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post

So he fills a similar role to MacDonald? (High end depth, but depth all the same.) Would that be a fair statement?

I am going somewhere with this and it has to do with the future of our blueline, assumed players to take over the various defensive roles, and how this would stack up against an upper end team's blueline.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
startainfection

Quote:
both, i am very satisfied with this stop gap

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:02 AM
original islander

Quote:
So he fills a similar role to MacDonald? (High end depth, but depth all the same.) Would that be a fair statement?

I am going somewhere with this and it has to do with the future of our blueline, assumed players to take over the various defensive roles, and how this would stack up against an upper end team's blueline.
I think MacDonald has more offense to his game. The year that Streit was out he would help out on the power play. I can't see Strait doing that. Andy has more versatility where Strait definitely has to be paired with a PMD.

original islander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:04 AM
Hipster Doofus

Hes a fine stop gap. Hes not gonna be here aslong as Hamonic or maybe AMac but he can play in the NHL and could find himself as a resign.

I liked him as a Pen. This guy can defend hes just not doing anything from the point but wristers and hard passes aimed to the boards. He keeps the puck deep at best.

Hes actually ok in transition. Hell get u the blueline and can make outlet passes and doesnt force plays.

AMac put up points in juniors, ahl, and in brief streaks in the NHL. He has a nice shot, dangerous off the pinch, excellent transition player and positionally sound. If they let him play aggresively hell stepup. Hes been apart of some real nice goals/plays in his career.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Hes a fine stop gap.
Yep, seems to be a good replacement for a guy like Reese, positionally more sound.

He's even shown some ability to move the puck nicely. Has been pushed off of pucks and outmanned along the boards, but I actually see more from him right now than, for example, we've been used to seeing from Eaton.

Looks like a guy who can be a decent #6/7/8 depth guy to have around.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
giddy up

It's only been a few games, but I think Strait has looked really good. Makes the smart, safe play most of the time. He was +3 tonight. I could see him being a bottom pair defenseman for us for a long time. He seems better than most of the guys we've had in that role over the last few years.

Finley on the other hand not so much.

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

A good stop gap. A better way if putting than I had, but yeah. Your hope for your club is that those players never have to inhabit your top 4. Of course not long ago we didn't even have that, so steps in the right direction.

If the club does eventually win it big one day with Tavares and the core, when asked what his secret was Snow will have to say build through the draft, and fill in with waiver wire additions (and cross your fingers, toes, and eyes a lot.)

Old
01-24-2013, 11:53 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Karlsson and Bailey could have developed differently with different franchises. We don't know what would have happened.
It's always easy saying something after the fact. Karlson was projected as a late first round pick. I am guessing if the Islanders went off the board and picked him and he didn't pan out the fans heads would explode. All that being said Myers was projected to go roughly in the area the Islanders picked and you can probably ***** we didn't pick Hodgson. But hey at least we didn't pick Beach

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:21 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
It's only been a few games, but I think Strait has looked really good. Makes the smart, safe play most of the time. He was +3 tonight. I could see him being a bottom pair defenseman for us for a long time. He seems better than most of the guys we've had in that role over the last few years.

Finley on the other hand not so much.
On most clubs he's a bottom pairing D-man but on the Islanders he's a top 4. He could be a top 4 on any club with more experience like a Rob Scruderi. Who knows, by the end of the season he could have that top 4 on the Islanders cemented in stone or he could be gone. Still too early to tell but from the first three games he looks like the steal of the waiver wire.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:38 AM
steveat

We need this guy for special teams PK for sure. Last year we were horrendous in our zone. We couldnt clear anything. Stopgap my ass. Strait is a guy we need to fill a big hole. I could see him evolve into a 1 line PK in the next 1-3 years.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:45 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
We need this guy for special teams PK for sure. Last year we were horrendous in our zone. We couldnt clear anything. Stopgap my ass. Strait is a guy we need to fill a big hole. I could see him evolve into a 1 line PK in the next 1-3 years.
The way I see it, players in their 20's can grow, and players with redeeming qualities grow on you.

Strait has obviously winning some people over. He's no Doughty, but as a defensively capable "Martinek 2.0" he has more than a small chance to stick on the Island as it's an unknown amount of time in which the 'linebackers' Snow's drafted (Reinhart/Pelech/Mayfield/Pedan) work their way up the depth chart - likely 2-3 seasons, barring impressive camps and injuries.

He may not be "Mr. Right," but obviously he's "Mr. Right Now." So far, I have no qualms about that until he gives me one.

88th Precinct is online now   Reply With Quote