HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

Old
01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Michel Therrien

I can`t believe that is the same man.......He is SO much calmer behind the bench now days......I watched him here in Fredericton back in the days when he was throwing things on the ice etc. etc....But he certainly has matured and is a FANTASTIC COACH ! He`s doing a great job playing the right guys at the right time IMO...He`s not afraid to try new players on the PP (love it !)....It`s been a long time since I`ve seen 4 balanced lines in Montreal and he`s a huge reason why. HERE`S TO A FANTASTIC SEASON MICHELE !!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I dunno man, he's chirped players on the other team a few times this year.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Et le But

First impressions is that he has definitely matured a bit. He's passionate but he's not shouting left and right and losing his cool...he has really toned it down and that's a good thing. I have very few complaints with his bench management too, his crush on Cube is of course annoying and I wish today he moved away from Cole and DD on the PP when it was clear both are not playing well at all, but besides that he's been making very sound decisions, and even ones I initially questioned have been proven right so far. Except for Boullion his player usage has been very good.

Of course I hope he hasn't written off Eller before giving him a chance, but besides Eller he's been good with the younger players.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Wait till we get a 5-games losing streak, you'll see things flying on the ice.

I like a passionate coach whether he's happy or mad.

Last edited by Kimota: 01-24-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:58 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Whoa calm down with the "fantastic coach". We're three games in the season. I like the way he has the team playing and how he's using his bench. But let's wait a bit before judging his work.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Wait till we get a 5-games losing streak, you'll see things flying off the ice.

Same here. He's completely transformed the team. Habs have way more hustle in their game, they look like they're in the playoffs on forchecks and in the corners. I've seen center ice hits from Markov to Gorges and Bourque, It's so much fun to watch.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 3281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Whoa calm down with the "fantastic coach". We're three games in the season. I like the way he has the team playing and how he's using his bench. But let's wait a bit before judging his work.
Boston wanted Julien fired the year he won the cup. We should wait till when? It's not about judging his career or his potential, it's about judging how he, as a coach, might have changed or not.

I think he has matured, and I enjoy the fire he brings behind the bench.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Kriss E

I swear people in Mtl never learn. Can't blame them, the idiots that get TV or Radio time do the same.
Bergeron was on TV saying how this team doesn't have any controversies, everybody seems happy, all get along. This old fart still hasn't learnt, despite being around the game for 19834934 years. Whenever a team wins, all is well, everybody is happy, string together a few losses though, and it's this guy this, that guy that, no chemistry, they all hate each other, cancers here or there, blablabla.

Can't wait for all those morons to be off TV.

Not that Therrien is the same, I'm hoping he's obviously changed after all his experience gained. But this is 2 wins after one completely lost Caps team, and an injury riddled Panthers team coming from 3games in 4nights. Let's wait a bit. Therrien didn't seem particularly happy after game 1.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Agreed, but it's nice to see him at least make an effort to be more well rounded.

Quote:
Wait till we get a 5-games losing streak, you'll see things flying off the ice.

You might but there's a reason screamers don't have a long shelf life in the NHL. You scream at your players too much and eventually they tune it out.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I swear people in Mtl never learn. Can't blame them, the idiots that get TV or Radio time do the same.
Bergeron was on TV saying how this team doesn't have any controversies, everybody seems happy, all get along. This old fart still hasn't learnt, despite being around the game for 19834934 years. Whenever a team wins, all is well, everybody is happy, string together a few losses though, and it's this guy this, that guy that, no chemistry, they all hate each other, cancers here or there, blablabla.

I can't for the life of me figure put how Bergeron was ever a coach in the NHL. He's like a fan, when we lose he wants to trade everybody, when we win, we're contenders. He's the most bipolar tv analyst ever.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 3281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Not that Therrien is the same, I'm hoping he's obviously changed after all his experience gained. But this is 2 wins after one completely lost Caps team, and an injury riddled Panthers team coming from 3games in 4nights. Let's wait a bit. Therrien didn't seem particularly happy after game 1.
It seems you're one of those who give them credibility (and a job) by watching the program (and posting it here!)

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Was thinking the same thing. Winning hasn't given him the sense of entitlement yet, and losing hasn't made him start yelling at everyone yet. We'll see what happens, but it's a good start so far, from what I can tell.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Agreed, but it's nice to see him at least make an effort to be more well rounded.

You might but there's a reason screamers don't have a long shelf life in the NHL. You scream at your players too much and eventually they tune it out.
Sure. And even Pat Burns said as much that he was not the sort that could be with the same team too long. Guys with emotion are usualy tough guys and they need gritty emotive players to be on their teams. That is why Burns had a strong relationship with Doug Gilmour as Dougie was pure heart and soul and he didn't like guys that were not giving their all like him on the ice. When the coach was screaming he was probably standing by him and thinking "he's right". Sort of like when Keenan was with the NYR and Messier was his Centurion in Chief.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Habblues

I see no problem with chirping the other team...AT ALL...I like his disposition behind the bench....I want a coach with passion, he cares, unlike Jacque (boring),,,,,,I realize it`s only early but if we can stay healthy I believe Michele can lead this team to a cup. Not like he hasn`t been analyzing them for the last two years. He knew exactly what this team needed and addressed their needs.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Was thinking the same thing. Winning hasn't given him the sense of entitlement yet, and losing hasn't made him start yelling at everyone yet. We'll see what happens, but it's a good start so far, from what I can tell.
The fact that he didn't murder someone after the Leafs game was a good sign. I came close myself, and it ain't my job.

Quote:
Sure. And even Pat Burns said as much that he was not the sort that could be with the same team too long. Guys with emotion are usualy tough guys and they need gritty emotive players to be on their teams. That is why Burns had a strong relationship with Doug Gilmour as Dougie was pure heart and soul and he didn't like guys that were not giving their all like him on the ice. When the coach was screaming he was probably standing by him and thinking "he's right". Sort of like when Keenan was with the NYR and Messier was his Centurion in Chief.
Well Keenan is the perfect example actually...a small majority of players would take a bullet for him (Messier), but most hate his guts and there's a reason he was chased out of every town he works. When Keenan got his players believing it was very effective in short bursts (with the Rangers the best example), when it wasn't it was a disaster and there's a reason he's had little success since 94.

This team isn't a contender right now, a tyrant is going to get chased out of town before they take their team to the next level. Therrien had the same problem screamers always have in his past two jobs, he got his team to over-perform at first but then they burn out and tune him out. This isn't juniors where you have a new group of kids to terrorize into to working hard every year, you need to show respect for your core and treat them like adults.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 PM
BobbyFischer*

I really like Therrien.

He's actually very very smart and knows hockey. Just listen to his interviews.

He is always right on point.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
It seems you're one of those who give them credibility (and a job) by watching the program (and posting it here!)
I sit in bed with my laptop watching the game. Once it ends, TV just stays on in the background. Can't help but overhear stuff.
These guys would have job regardless of if my TV is on or not. I just let it go by until Sports center comes on or switch when a later game starts.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:50 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Boston wanted Julien fired the year he won the cup. We should wait till when? It's not about judging his career or his potential, it's about judging how he, as a coach, might have changed or not.

I'm also enjoying what I'm seeing until now but let's not get carried away, shall we? OP is getting wet in his pants after three games against mediocre teams. To say he's a fantastic coach and that he'll lead the Habs to a cup is ridiculous after three games. I bet he'll be the first one to want his ass fired after a losing streak.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 AM
NewHabsEra*

I thought he was the best candidate from the begining, he is a great coach who has matured alot through his carreer, I really like him but I can already hear people wanting to fire him after some losses.. Dont forget that we faced 2 really poor teams last 2 games, lets wait til we face the Devils and some real good teams, at the end, as good a coach as I think he is, he has the players he has and the Habs are an average team at the very best.. I suggest to be patient with Therrien and Bergevin..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:32 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

I like how he's coaching so far but I hope he has a plan for Eller. Whatever it is, if theres one, I really hope it works.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Absolutely love that he is putting the youngsters on the same line. I think it's a great move. While they barley played in the first period last night, they had a good amount of ice time later in the game. Pairing them with Prust is also a solid move.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
JesusBouillon

I think we're getting carried away after 2 wins against a tired team and a team searching itself. We did look like **** against the Leafs, and we haven't played a real top team yet.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Both Julien and his GM were 1 Habs goal away of being fired back in 2011.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
I think we're getting carried away after 2 wins against a tired team and a team searching itself. We did look like **** against the Leafs, and we haven't played a real top team yet.
Blablabla same ol' excuses.

We didnt just won our 2 games, we dominated our opponents...

Kenny Powders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
BLONG7

Not a big fan of MT, hopefully he proves me wrong...

He has gained some valuable experience since his first stint with us, let's hope he can put it to good use...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote