HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas re-signs Jamie Benn (5Y/$26.25M)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
  #51
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Nothing really shocking but during post game, Nieuwy said they were going to open talks with him soon and that he has really enjoyed it here so far.

Obviously said he was their top priority going into UFA.
That's a bit surprising. I would have though neither side would be eager to get this started too soon.

Dallas needs to know Roy is healthy.

Roy you'd think would want to prove he's healthy to increase his value.

This will probably be the biggest contract of Roy's career. These could be tough negotiations. He's almost 30 years old.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:05 PM
  #52
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler
 
SonicSpeedDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Amarillo, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
GMJoe is on 1310 right now by the way. He just said they plan on having Roy long term.
Glad to hear this. Roy is awesome.

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
  #53
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
This will probably be the biggest contract of Roy's career. These could be tough negotiations. He's almost 30 years old.
Which is why I don't see it happening. He's going to wait to produce so he can get a payday. It's his last big contract. Dallas isn't going to want to sign him to 6+ years.

I like Roy, but I want to see more from him, nor do I think we'll offer what the free market will.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
  #54
starsfan24
Drunkkkkk
 
starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,801
vCash: 500
So pumped!

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
  #55
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Nor do I think we'll offer what the free market will.
I agree up to this point. Dallas, even with Benn shockingly, pays their RFAs below or right at market, and they tend to pay full price if not slightly more than market for their own UFAs.

I don't doubt they'll be willing to fork over the appropriate funds to sign him. I think they tough thing will be figuring out what that should be.

The NJ Devils can suck it because I think Roy around the league would be considered more valuable than Travis Zajac, and that dude just got paid well.

If you dropped off the first two years of Zajac's deal where he's only paid $3 and $5, I think you have a pretty good blue print for what Roy will likely sign.

$37.5 million over 6 years or about $6.25 million/year.

In theory he shouldn't be paid more than Benn, but he's giving up all UFA years. I'll make an initial guess of 5 to 6 years in the $5.75 to $6.5 million range.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:18 PM
  #56
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
I think Dallas balls at the term, not the money.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:20 PM
  #57
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I think Dallas balls at the term, not the money.
Then honestly I think they'd lose him. You can play hardball to a point with RFAs, but there's a team in this league .... probably several .... that will give Roy the security of 5 or more years.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:21 PM
  #58
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Joking aside ... Gully already said there's a good chance Rome plays Saturday, and that likely means Benn comes out. He and Rome were rotating with Daley in the "pre-season".
This probably belongs in the general talk thread, but I really have a hard time understanding how a guy who is playing the 4th most minutes among the team's defenseman is a 6/7th D-man. I also don't see any reason to take him or any other defenseman not named Robidas out of the lineup just to get Rome some playing time.

I'm going to pull my hair out over Gulutzan's handling of players' roles/ice time. Larsen has gotten virtually zero PP time while Robidas is averaging 3 minutes of PP per game.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 PM
  #59
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
Yea that should have been balks, not balls. I foresee them only offering him 4 or 5 years max, as to not block Faksa. Someone on the open market will do better.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
  #60
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This probably belongs in the general talk thread, but I really have a hard time understanding how a guy who is playing the 4th most minutes among the team's defenseman is a 6/7th D-man. I also don't see any reason to take him or any other defenseman not named Robidas out of the lineup just to get Rome some playing time.

I'm going to pull my hair out over Gulutzan's handling of players' roles/ice time. Larsen has gotten virtually zero PP time while Robidas is averaging 3 minutes of PP per game.
I agree with all of this, but until he proves otherwise, I'm not making the assumption Gulutzan will take the right people out of the game.

I bought the Morrow BS needing to be on the PP as a consistent net presence ... boy was I a dope.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
  #61
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 500
The Stars will have to give Roy a nice deal to stay, and I'd do it. If they let him walk, the same money would be spent on any free agent. It's not like there's another second line center in the franchise that will be ready any time soon.

This is where the team makes use of its cap room.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:29 PM
  #62
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,361
vCash: 500
I think the Stars will give Roy 5 years. I'm sure they realized that is the starting place term-wise for free agent centers of Roy's caliber before they made their comments about wanting to get him re-signed.

I also don't really think it matters much at all from an internal team perspective if Roy makes more than Benn while being a lesser player. These guys all realize that staying in this league and staying productive and healthy means they will be in Roy's position one day. Pay your dues and you'll get yours. I would argue that most teams' best players probably aren't their highest paid, it's really not a big deal.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:29 PM
  #63
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Yea that should have been balks, not balls. I foresee them only offering him 4 or 5 years max, as to not block Faksa. Someone on the open market will do better.
Huge Faksa fan, but counting your chickens before they hatch comes to mind.

With the illness and now the knee injury, by the time it comes to signing Roy in a few months, they'll have no idea what type of NHL player they have in Faksa.

I think you've got to go with the a similar move as Kari Lehtonen. Technically that deal could block Campbell, but he's not a sure bet elite starter. Lehts already proved he is.

When it comes time for Campbell or in this example Faksa or any other center prospect to push out Lehtonen/Roy ... you deal with it then. The end result is probably a nice package of assets which isn't a bad thing either.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
  #64
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 48,278
vCash: 500
I'm not even going to think about Roy not re-signing here. Would be absolutely ridiculous for Dallas not to.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:32 PM
  #65
Fly Like a C5
Registered User
 
Fly Like a C5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This probably belongs in the general talk thread, but I really have a hard time understanding how a guy who is playing the 4th most minutes among the team's defenseman is a 6/7th D-man. I also don't see any reason to take him or any other defenseman not named Robidas out of the lineup just to get Rome some playing time.

I'm going to pull my hair out over Gulutzan's handling of players' roles/ice time. Larsen has gotten virtually zero PP time while Robidas is averaging 3 minutes of PP per game.
This is when I really wish we had decent media coverage of the Stars. It would be nice if there was a reporter that would actually call out the coach on stuff like this.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:34 PM
  #66
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
I'll just add to what Troy and Glove said ....

The ownership and management have tied themselves to Roy. You have a fan base that is sick and tired of not spending money to make this team better, and you've told them on several occasions you're going to sign Roy. I don't think it's a bad thing they've decided he's their guy, but they don't really have a reasonable option to change their mind.

They are essentially stuck to this guy and better get a deal done. Plus, you have the Ott fan boys that are still butt hurt about him being gone. If you only get 1 year out of Roy you'll see anger from many fans and media (Bob Sturm has been whining since they let Ott go ... and can only imagine his out cry when Morrow finally gets a pink slip).

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:37 PM
  #67
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
This is when I really wish we had decent media coverage of the Stars. It would be nice if there was a reporter that would actually call out the coach on stuff like this.
IDK .... that burns bridges and means all the great info we currently get stops. Stepneski, and to a lesser extent Heika IMO, need to have a good relationship with the team and players if fans are going to get any useful info at all. This isn't Toronto where you have enough guys to be good cop/bad cop.

The Cowgirls are a perfect example .... every media source in Dallas has multiple stooges covering them. You've got the ***hole in Jaques and the nice guy in Archer for ESPN Dallas.

You'd need to hire several more reporters ... and the market won't support that.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:37 PM
  #68
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 7,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'll just add to what Troy and Glove said ....

The ownership and management have tied themselves to Roy. You have a fan base that is sick and tired of not spending money to make this team better, and you've told them on several occasions you're going to sign Roy. I don't think it's a bad thing they've decided he's their guy, but they don't really have a reasonable option to change their mind.

They are essentially stuck to this guy and better get a deal done. Plus, you have the Ott fan boys that are still butt hurt about him being gone. If you only get 1 year out of Roy you'll see anger from many fans and media (Bob Sturm has been whining since they let Ott go ... and can only imagine his out cry when Morrow finally gets a pink slip).
Would love that. Guy doesn't know **** about the game.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:39 PM
  #69
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I agree with all of this, but until he proves otherwise, I'm not making the assumption Gulutzan will take the right people out of the game.

I bought the Morrow BS needing to be on the PP as a consistent net presence ... boy was I a dope.
I agree that if someone is taken out it's probably going to be Benn but given his current role on the team it shows a lack of big picture philosophy by the head coach. I mean really, the handling of the PP in virtually all aspects is a ****ing abomination. I fully expect Benn to be on the 2nd PP unit again this season. Too often it seems like he tries to get too cute with his personnel choices instead of doing the obvious thing and it blows up in his face.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:46 PM
  #70
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I agree that if someone is taken out it's probably going to be Benn but given his current role on the team it shows a lack of big picture philosophy by the head coach. I mean really, the handling of the PP in virtually all aspects is a ****ing abomination. I fully expect Benn to be on the 2nd PP unit again this season. Too often it seems like he tries to get too cute with his personnel choices instead of doing the obvious thing and it blows up in his face.
Just throwing this out there, but does Fraser get any blame? We've been told he's running the PP, but this personnel decisions mirror last season. I can't imagine the new guy came in here and said let's keep doing the same **** that hasn't worked in the past.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  #71
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,255
vCash: 500
If Roy works out, you give him as long as he wants for 5M. Turning down a player like Roy (healthy) for an unproven Faksa is just stupid. If Faksa becomes a #2, it'll be a problem when he does, not this offseason.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:53 PM
  #72
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Huge Faksa fan, but counting your chickens before they hatch comes to mind.

With the illness and now the knee injury, by the time it comes to signing Roy in a few months, they'll have no idea what type of NHL player they have in Faksa.

I think you've got to go with the a similar move as Kari Lehtonen. Technically that deal could block Campbell, but he's not a sure bet elite starter. Lehts already proved he is.

When it comes time for Campbell or in this example Faksa or any other center prospect to push out Lehtonen/Roy ... you deal with it then. The end result is probably a nice package of assets which isn't a bad thing either.
Was thinking the same thing. Being careful to not "block" a player still in juniors is optimistic at best. You can never have too much depth, and when needed centers can almost always slide to the wing; this is how a lot of young centers are heeled in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
IDK .... that burns bridges and means all the great info we currently get stops. Stepneski, and to a lesser extent Heika IMO, need to have a good relationship with the team and players if fans are going to get any useful info at all. This isn't Toronto where you have enough guys to be good cop/bad cop.

The Cowgirls are a perfect example .... every media source in Dallas has multiple stooges covering them. You've got the ***hole in Jaques and the nice guy in Archer for ESPN Dallas.

You'd need to hire several more reporters ... and the market won't support that.
I think what C5 was getting at is just that in big hockey markets it's exactly like you said. I don't think he was being specific to the Dallas hockey market situation.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:54 PM
  #73
Fly Like a C5
Registered User
 
Fly Like a C5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

The Cowgirls are a perfect example .... every media source in Dallas has multiple stooges covering them. You've got the ***hole in Jaques and the nice guy in Archer for ESPN Dallas.

You'd need to hire several more reporters ... and the market won't support that.
That's what I was getting. Wishing we could have the type of coverage that Toronto and the Cowboys get, but realizing that it won't happen.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:55 PM
  #74
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 25,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Would love that. Guy doesn't know **** about the game.
His main complaint (though he won't say it) is that losing Ott means they lost a weekly guest who was a good interview.

Before Ott, they had Morrow as their weekly Stars guest, and Morrow interviews are the worst in all of sports. He says nothing and is boring while doing it. Ott was friendly and entertaining.

The Stars trading Ott hurt Sturm's show, so he's not happy. Of course, it doesn't help that Sturm seems to think Ott somehow intimidated guys who would think about running Benn, which is silly.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:55 PM
  #75
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,211
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Just throwing this out there, but does Fraser get any blame? We've been told he's running the PP, but this personnel decisions mirror last season. I can't imagine the new guy came in here and said let's keep doing the same **** that hasn't worked in the past.
Assistants don't choose who plays on which unit, they just coach the group of players the HC picks.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.