HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Will Look to Move Ben Bishop

Old
01-24-2013, 11:58 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Could see Calgary doing it, because they're close to Blow-It-Up-Ville
Wouldn't make much sense Bishop is 26 if we blow it up he will be what 30 - 31 when we are ready to compete again? Why waste any assets and try Irving,Ramo,hell Brust from the ahl.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Inflict
Viking

vCash: 500
Not sure if this has been suggested yet in the thread (too lazy to read it all) but the Jets could use a backup goaltender (1b maybe?) in Bishop.

To OTT
2nd round pick
Conditional 3rd round pick (if Montoya does not clear waivers)
Al Montoya

To WPG
Ben Bishop

Montoya could be used as a 3rd string goaltender who can play in the AHL as Ottawa is pretty low on goal tending depth after trading away Bishop.

I might be pulling the gun a bit here as we have yet to see Montoya play, but I think that Bishop is a clear upgrade and could push Pavelec for some starts. If the Jets were tanking by the trade deadline, I could also see another trade where we could include either Hainsey or Antropov as they will be UFAs next season.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:49 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Did I miss where Bishop became a player? Was he the second coming of Christ in his 10games last season? I don't recall him being anything special. What happened?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Did I miss where Bishop became a player? Was he the second coming of Christ in his 10games last season? I don't recall him being anything special. What happened?
He played really well in Ottawa when he was brought in after Anderson cut himself. He's obviously huge at 6'7, moves extremely well for a guy his size and is one of the best puck handling goalies I've seen. Tons of upside there, definite #1 potential and he's ready to play now.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
To OTT
2nd round pick
Al Montoya

To WPG
Ben Bishop
I think that would work, except the 3rd round should be like a conditional 6th or 7th. Value is fine, and if we didn't get a defender, we'd trade for a 2nd rounder from anyone.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 AM
oilers4life5

Ben Bishop to Oilers for Peckham/Potter and a 2nd? Thoughts?

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Two questions about this.

1.Can Ballard play the right side

2.Would Canucks fans do a Bishop for Ballard pretty much straight up.

if the answer is yes, yes - I could see this going down, I really could.
As a Canuck fan I would do Ballard Straight up for Bishop. As for the 1st question - he played the right side until he was paired with Tanev, but the left is his natural and better side.

....before fellow Canuck fans jump on me about how much better Ballard has been playing - the cap next year goes down, having Schneider and Bishop is a much better tandem financially and it opens up some freedom this season to add a rental at the TDL.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Because they're 3-0 and we're 4-0
You totally know we're going to end up playing each other in the playoffs again. See you in the third round.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

So far in this thread: some Sens fans asking too much for Bish, and some fans of the other 29 teams not respecting Bishop's value enough (a guy with "1B" skill, still young enough to become a low-mid-tier starter in the league).

Value lies in the middle of what both teams are aking for. I doubt we get a legit top-4 defenceman for Bishop (unless that defenceman has a wart - a high salary contract like Ballard, or pending UFA, etc...). I mean, I WANT is to get a top-4 guy for the blueline, I'm just not sure it's going to happen.

I think a very fair price is a 2nd rounder + "an extra piece" (depth defenceman with upside, mid-tier prospect, etc...). No reason to expect that we pull off any kind of "theft" by dealing Bishop, but we'll get what we paid for him, plus a little extra on the side. Lindback got two 2nds and a 3rd, no reason Bishop can't get "close" to that.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

I think Chicago is going to end up with Bishop likely for one of their extra d-men.

01-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

I would do Bishop for Ballard.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Same could be said about the sHawks. All they've done is wet the bed since trading half their team in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I'm thinking Henrik Karlsson was their insulation plan, for better or worse.

Good luck in the Western Conference with that goaltending.
Who said the Hawks are contenders?

but yes, the Hawks are more contenders than the sens are this year. Hawks core has won a cup already and is a stacked team.
Both teams are good, but I haven't seen many that picked the Sens to make it to the SC finals.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

but yes, the Hawks are more contenders than the sens are this year. Hawks core has won a cup already and is a stacked team.
Both teams are good, but I haven't seen many that picked the Sens to make it to the SC finals.
What? Some of the Sens core have won a cup in the past two years!!!

... of course, it was a CALDER Cup, but still.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:10 AM
GreatStateofHockey

Bishop+Pick for Hjalmarsson?

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Hale The Villain

As a Sens fan, I know this fanbase overrates our players to an absurd degree, but I feel Bishop is getting a tad underrated in this thread.

He's a good goalie, big with a lot of talent. I think he can be a starter in this league if he continues to develop well. He's NHL ready, just needs a chance, which he'll never get in Ottawa with Anderson playing like a #1 and Lehner playing brick wall in Binghamton. The Sens gave up a 2nd for him at the deadline last year; they didn't pay that price for a rental, they obviously believe he has a future. Seeing as how there is interest around the league for him, I think its safe to say other teams feel the same way.

Lindback garned two 2nds and a 3rd because Tampa felt he could turn into a #1 for them down the road
Bobrovsky returned a 2nd and two 4ths because Columbus felt he could be a good goalie for them in the future

What's to stop a team paying a 2nd+ because they feel Bishop could be a good goalie for them? If there is a bidding war he could return a decent piece. Seeing as how Murray paid a 2nd round pick to get him, I think it's fair to say he'd want at least similar value back, but its likely he would want to get more than he paid for Bishop.

Teams who want a good young goaltender, remember: you have to give to get. There's no sense in the Sens trading Bishop for spare pieces.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatStateofHockey View Post
Bishop+Pick for Hjalmarsson?
What pick? a 1st? a 1st that will be late.

other than that, it makes no sense. Hjalmarsson plays some great hockey, has a fair contract and isn't replaceable for the Hawks. Who would take his Top4 Spot?

Why give a Top4 D for a backup goalie and a pick (Assuming that it wouldn't be a 1st) that has about a 20% chance to see the NHL in a few years?

No, I'm not saying it would be fair value. It's just that this would make no sense for the Hawks unless it's overpayment.

Goaltending can't be that bad when your Goalie has 3 Ws and +92% SV% and a GAA under 2.
I'd love to get an upgrade in goal, but it has to make sense for both teams, not only 1.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Asset management. They'll easily get more than what they traded away for him, making Murray look like a genius.
They gave up a second round pick. Of course, it was for Anderson's injury and served it's purpose. That said, if you think they are getting something so much better than a 2nd round pick that it makes Murray look like a genius...I worry about people too much.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
benjiv1

Ottawa will look to package Bishop, in order to increase the quality of the player coming back.

Bishop
Puempel
2014 3rd

Puempel is expendable in the long scheme of things when you consider that our forward prospects heavily outweigh our defense prospects.

I'm not saying that an offer like that would bring in Hjammer, but I think we could easily obtain a solid top 4 defensemen that hasn't peaked yet.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:48 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
Not sure if this has been suggested yet in the thread (too lazy to read it all) but the Jets could use a backup goaltender (1b maybe?) in Bishop.

To OTT
2nd round pick
Al Montoya

To WPG
Ben Bishop
I'd do this deal

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:32 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Well, he isn't a top 4 dman in Chicago, or really any other cup contender.
unless my eyes have been deceiving me, he looks like he would be a top four guy on a contender. good speed, big, strong, throws the body (likes the hip checks i think), good first pass, can skate by attackers to carry the puck out, make a safe pass out of the zone, can make the shorter, more difficult pass, but i haven't really seen him hit someone in stride on a longer breakout pass. in the offensive zone methot brings a big shot, but has a hard time getting it on goal. methot has good offensive instincts and quick decision making abilities. as we have seen with his career, he won't put up lots of points, but i think we'll see more out of him now that he's not playing on a lottery team. playing with karlsson means he's our number two. should he be a #2 on a contender? well, if he's the stay at home defenseman for a roaming offensive defenseman like karlsson, i think he's fine there. edit: not saying he's a top pairing defenceman on a contender, just saying he looks comfortable there because he does have solid skills and his style really compliments his partner's
tl;dr: solid stay-at-home defenseman with a good first pass that can help facilitate offence in the other end, but isn't a go to guy for that. oh yeah, i noticed him falling a lot. i have to keep my eyes open for that. only three games, but he hasn't shown any signs of being worse than what he's shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I said not in Chicago or on any cup contenders.

Chicago is a legit cup contender if they get avg goaltending.
Ottawa is not no matter what.
won't really argue with this, but i think sens fans are cautiously optimistic right now. granted, we haven't faced too tough competition (no offence to the panthers and jets). we could really have used cowen this year. i think with him, people's opinions could be different on our contender status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Stupid move imo. Anderson's a volatile goalie and you need to have solid backup in case he falters (and when Anderson falters he does it in stretches). Shortened season, keep him and see how the market is in the summer.
maybe other fans see it differently, but i have seen andy play mostly solid in his 84 games here i.e. not suck for stretches. in fact, after a bad game, the next one he usually fought back and played a very good game. andy is a very good #1 goalie and he's not that old. lehner is showing us (brief stint in the nhl, his ahl performance) that he is ready for nhl backup duty. bishop's upside seems lower than lehner's, so bishop is expendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He played really well in Ottawa when he was brought in after Anderson cut himself. He's obviously huge at 6'7, moves extremely well for a guy his size and is one of the best puck handling goalies I've seen. Tons of upside there, definite #1 potential and he's ready to play now.
i think he was average when he played for us last year. teams have the right to see if he's more confident in the nhl now before they trade for him. he was very solid in the ahl while the lockout was on, but let teams see if that confidence and play will carry into the nhl. based solely on his performance last season in ottawa, i would say we should be able to get not much more than a second, if that, without bishop showing more. your talent evaluation for him is good, except i think his lateral movement could be better. his diagonal movement is the best in the league in my opinion though. good puck handler. he needs games if he wants to reach that #1 potential that he might have.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

Well, duh. We've won 3 games against rather unspectacular and/or struggling teams. Ottawa is in a rebuilding phase.

Besides, you are missing about half of that team that won the cup, and have been gliding in contention since. I knew losing Brian Campbell would hurt this team.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Dirtysweet

Why would the Hawks even entertain a trade for Bishop right now? They are 4-0 and have been playing lights out.

Dirtysweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:08 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysweet View Post
Why would the Hawks even entertain a trade for Bishop right now? They are 4-0 and have been playing lights out.
Because this year more than any other the back up goalie is very important what with the condensed schedule and the 12 back to back the Hawks play. Emery may not be able to do the job if his first start is any indication. Even Crawford has a small question mark as his sophmore campaign was a bit of a stinker. The team is playing lights out yes but the goaltending is not quite there.

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Well, duh. We've won 3 games against rather unspectacular and/or struggling teams. Ottawa is in a rebuilding phase.

Besides, you are missing about half of that team that won the cup, and have been gliding in contention since. I knew losing Brian Campbell would hurt this team.
The sens could surprise though D depth could hurt them, Alfie's health could also come into play.
Hey they also came within one goal of advancing past the Rangers.
I for one would love to see an Ottawa/Chicago final ... as I live in the Ottawa area!

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysweet View Post
Depth is important and the asking price is low. You can have him without giving up any NHL talent.

In a shortened season it will be nice to have the luxury of a backup who can push for the starter position if Crawford stumbles at all.

I'm not saying you should rush to make a deal or pay through the roof, but the answer to your question is fairly obvious IMO.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote