HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
The definition of Gagner's night was when he got stood up by Doughty, gets back up and works a guy over to get the puck, then cycles it and drives the net.

Definitely a lot of heart out of him tonight, and he was as effective physically as he probably has even been in his career.

Hopefully can keep it up.
Yep, quite possibly the most well rounded game he's played. He stood up to Doughty three times in this game, when at him relentlessly, had the balls to crosscheck him.

Anybody noticing Gagner is stronger this year and won several puck battles along the boards tonight.

Remember the brilliant dish to Yak (saucer pass) in the 2nd period. Or Gagner saving a GA late in game by getting back on a 2 on 1 and breaking up the play. Or Gagner in the two man short situation preventing a sure goal?

Gagner, hitting, Gagner flying, Gagner moving puck well. Frankly Gagner has been involved in every stitch of offence his line has had this year.

Gagner also doing what good players do by growing his game. Worked on the one timer all off season, its showing and the team is noting his one timer and trying to work it. He worked the weights this off season to give him more battle, and he's continuing to think the game better. Sure the Hopkins pass was great but Gagner(nobody else) had the presence of mind to go to the net hard(all night he did that) and without him making that decision we're not talking about the goal.

Finally, Gagner in the paint and messing with Quicks world on the called off goal, The Yakupov goal, and the game winner. Classic. Junkyard Smyth has suddenly ramped up Gagners game. Guess who he's learning from. Any scrum around the net tonight Gagner was there banging.

Yakupov. Told people this guy is the next one. Said it in prospects TC. Sublime skill, heart of a warrior. Gagner and Yak have so much heart playing together and loving it.

Yakupov is a classic entertainer, huge performer, fantastic hand eye coordination, fantastic release and just flying out there tonight.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:40 AM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Sutter stormed into the refs' room after the game according to Tencer...

Apparently he also may be fined after his postgame scrum...
Shoulda been jostling for position with Krueger to get there first. I know we won, but I'm still enraged about the reffing and think he should take a fine and make a statement.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:42 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Gagner was money tonight. Credit where credit is due.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
timekeep

Rexall Place walls must have been shaking the last minute of the game. Old barn hasn't seen that kind of excitement for quite a few years. Probably felt like an old grandpa left to babysit all the grandkids well the ladies went shopping.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
the face off violation call is ridiculous. its never called! it should be discretionary call. complete bs rule
I watched it a couple times on my PVR and I have no damned clue what the hell the call was for on the 2nd face off. Eberle doesn't do anything out of the ordinary that isn't done by most forwards every single time there's a face-off in the NHL.

Still second in utter ridiculousness to the "guy in the crease when he's not actually in the crease" call. Wow.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:44 AM
Perfect_Drug

vCash: 462
Gagner needs to be a winger.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I think he's actually really effective there.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Belanger Centering Hall and Yak.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Gagner has been good this season, I like him playing with Yakupov.

We need a big no.3 center I think, or someone along the lines of Jarrett Stoll from 2006 before his concussion, but Sam is looking good in his role.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matador

MacT talked about how Gagner could have a lot of success on the PP playing the point during his career. Its been interesting see him play a little higher up so far this season. Every season he has worked on an aspect of his game.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Trufflepig

WOW! That was the craziest game I've ever been to! Some people in here talking about Yaks celly, I dont know what you expected the kid to do, the emotion in that building was overwhelming. No one could believe that the puck was in after the b.s. the refs pulled. I love the celly, and I love Yak for knocking that puck out of the air! SO CRAZY!!! I still cant believe what I just saw!:handc lap:

Trufflepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How much would a new ice plant cost for Rexall? Since both the Oilers and OK's play there they really should put one in because we don't need our guys getting injured because of crappy ice, not to mention unlike in years past we are just about as skilled as anyone so good ice benefits us.
The ice was horrible tonight Bryan. But in the first period it was a huge factor in us staying in it on the pk. LA had all kinds of trouble controlling the puck.

ONe of the things I'm gonna say again is the Oilers org has now had two opportunities to fix/replace the iceplant over extended lockouts.

With the new arena not here until sometime in 2016-17 season its astonishing that they think they should nickle and dime this iceplant along till then.

We're a skilled club playing on ***** ice.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
How much of that was even strength though?
13:47. Most on the team. J. Schultz has very quietly been quite effective defensively. He is making the odd mistake that any rookie in the league is bound to make, but he's not out there looking awful.

That celebration from Yakupov was a thing to behold. Absolutely love that kind of enthusiasm. That is the kind of player that knows how to get a crowd into the game. His energy just is incredible. I think both he and the fans can feed off it. Love it.

Fistric with a solid quiet game. Great on the PK, threw the one big hit and otherwise wasn't noticeable (other than taking a couple sticks to the face). Great to see.

Still some things to be concerned about (haven't led at any point so far) and still was too undisciplined. But 2 out of 3 is pretty good considering the teams we played, and in the two games we won we carried the play for large portions. Last year we were off to a hot start but Khabibulin was putting up like a 0.975 sv% and the Oilers were getting outshot every game.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

And quietly, very quietly, Schultz is PPG.

EDIT: Small sample size? Bah.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Gagner needs to be a winger.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I think he's actually really effective there.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Belanger Centering Hall and Yak.
Gagners been all over both the wins we have this year or we got no results. People discount this kind of thing but the heart that Gagner and Yak have is starting some chemistry and its kickstarting some of the best hockey seen from Hemsky in years. Not so much tonight but that line is good.

Lets be clear on this as well. 4 goals from forwards on that line in 3GP. WE only have 7 goals as a team and the topline forwards have only netted two.

I think Gagner, Yak, Hemmer are being good mojo for one another in general.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 AM
oilman9482

lol wow what a mess of a game. Very glad about the win because LA did not deserve 2 points. The top line looked dangerous all night although their finish around the net was a little off.

So many people said that Sam Gagner had a good game... I disagree. He looked slow and out of sync with Hemsky and Yakupov. He really should be traded for a Brandon Dubinsky type player that is good two way 2nd liner with toughness.
I just think many people have rosecoloured glasses on when it comes to Sam. In my opinion he isn't a good fit for this team.

oilman9482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

So glad I got to be at this game. Omg so crazy! I'm still ENRAGED at the refs in this one but they somehow pulled out the win. UNBELIEVABLE!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:52 AM
JetsAlternate

Wasn't able to post when it happened, but:

YES! Way to go! That was magnificent. The hockey gods were smiling upon the city of Edmonton tonight. The referees were horrible both for LA and for the Oilers, and it almost cost you guys the win. What an incredible series of events in the final minutes of the third and in OT.

Spectacular!

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Also, fun fact?
2-1-0

And we've yet to lead a game.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trufflepig View Post
WOW! That was the craziest game I've ever been to! Some people in here talking about Yaks celly, I dont know what you expected the kid to do, the emotion in that building was overwhelming. No one could believe that the puck was in after the b.s. the refs pulled. I love the celly, and I love Yak for knocking that puck out of the air! SO CRAZY!!! I still cant believe what I just saw!:handc lap:
I'm still trying to figure out if Yak got that with the blade or shaft. Unreal coordination.

Nice being the talk of the league tonight for good reasons. Most dramatic game of the season bar none. I would say two of our tilts have been.

This club is getting a lot of viewers.

Old
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep, quite possibly the most well rounded game he's played. He stood up to Doughty three times in this game, when at him relentlessly, had the balls to crosscheck him.

Anybody noticing Gagner is stronger this year and won several puck battles along the boards tonight.

Remember the brilliant dish to Yak (saucer pass) in the 2nd period. Or Gagner saving a GA late in game by getting back on a 2 on 1 and breaking up the play. Or Gagner in the two man short situation preventing a sure goal?

Gagner, hitting, Gagner flying, Gagner moving puck well. Frankly Gagner has been involved in every stitch of offence his line has had this year.

Gagner also doing what good players do by growing his game. Worked on the one timer all off season, its showing and the team is noting his one timer and trying to work it. He worked the weights this off season to give him more battle, and he's continuing to think the game better. Sure the Hopkins pass was great but Gagner(nobody else) had the presence of mind to go to the net hard(all night he did that) and without him making that decision we're not talking about the goal.

Finally, Gagner in the paint and messing with Quicks world on the called off goal, The Yakupov goal, and the game winner. Classic. Junkyard Smyth has suddenly ramped up Gagners game. Guess who he's learning from. Any scrum around the net tonight Gagner was there banging.

Yakupov. Told people this guy is the next one. Said it in prospects TC. Sublime skill, heart of a warrior. Gagner and Yak have so much heart playing together and loving it.

Yakupov is a classic entertainer, huge performer, fantastic hand eye coordination, fantastic release and just flying out there tonight.
Excellent post! Gotta love chemistry developing between the two of them. If this keeps up, I'm not sure we need to bother trying to find a bigger #2C

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HatchtrickBateman

Stars fan here. Saw Fistric got in tonight.. How'd he look?

HatchtrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:54 AM
OILFAN #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
I'm a big fan. He made some huge hits tonight and played pretty well in is own zone/PK.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
lol imagine how don cherry looked after seeing that
Hopefully he had a stroke, i could care less what he will be saying about Yakupov, that celebration was 100% pure emotion due to the circumstances of the game. Cant believe i'm saying this, but that actually felt like a playoff game, so much emtion (mostly due to the s***** reffing)....reminded me of Pisani's shorty in game 5.

Like others have said in here, if other fans have a problem with that celebration, they can suck it....they can suck it long and they can suck it hard. Same goes for the zebras, who should both be on the pogie line tomorrow.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
Fantastic. He drew 8 minutes in penalties (I believe), and had a couple big hits. He's looking like he'll be a fan favourite here

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:56 AM
HatchtrickBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
I'm a big fan. He made some huge hits tonight and played pretty well in is own zone/PK.
Good to hear. I really liked him in Dallas. He seemed to get misused badly by multiple coaching staffs.

HatchtrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Jamin

Man supposed to goto bed for work tomorrow but way to jacked up. What an emotional game to watch. Such despair, rage, excitement, blinding rage, pure joy and then relief at the OT goal. The way the spotlight was on Yak it was like a movie being played out.

Is it wrong that I was so mad at the refs I was chanting at the TV for people to start throwing beer at the refs and when it happened I was very happy even though its low classy?

Also boo to anyone dissing Yak's celebration, that much emotion it was like scoring a playoff goal for him

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote