HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:57 AM
OILFAN #81

vCash: 500
Is anyone else just watching the last 5 minutes of the game over and over? Love it!!

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:58 AM
McDeepika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gagners been all over both the wins we have this year or we got no results. People discount this kind of thing but the heart that Gagner and Yak have is starting some chemistry and its kickstarting some of the best hockey seen from Hemsky in years. Not so much tonight but that line is good.

Lets be clear on this as well. 4 goals from forwards on that line in 3GP. WE only have 7 goals as a team and the topline forwards have only netted two.

I think Gagner, Yak, Hemmer are being good mojo for one another in general.
I know Hemsky and Gagner aren't perfect players, but the second line has created a ton of chances so far. Yakupov could have easily had 4 goals tonight.

McDeepika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
Stars fan here. Saw Fistric got in tonight.. How'd he look?
Excellent. A key addition and especially in a tough physical game like this. He stood up to the kings all night and laid some hits and drew some penalties. Fan favorite after the first period in first game. How's that. Cheered off the ice.

We need his toughness on this squad. Looked OK on D as well. Gets a lot of room of course.

lol the 3 times the Kings players looked for the licence plate. Kings are used to coming in here and we got no answer, we got no hits. We had it tonight.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad McMikowsky
Content Cop

Quote:
Yep, quite possibly the most well rounded game he's played. He stood up to Doughty three times in this game, when at him relentlessly, had the balls to crosscheck him.

Anybody noticing Gagner is stronger this year and won several puck battles along the boards tonight.

Remember the brilliant dish to Yak (saucer pass) in the 2nd period. Or Gagner saving a GA late in game by getting back on a 2 on 1 and breaking up the play. Or Gagner in the two man short situation preventing a sure goal?

Gagner, hitting, Gagner flying, Gagner moving puck well. Frankly Gagner has been involved in every stitch of offence his line has had this year.

Gagner also doing what good players do by growing his game. Worked on the one timer all off season, its showing and the team is noting his one timer and trying to work it. He worked the weights this off season to give him more battle, and he's continuing to think the game better. Sure the Hopkins pass was great but Gagner(nobody else) had the presence of mind to go to the net hard(all night he did that) and without him making that decision we're not talking about the goal.

Finally, Gagner in the paint and messing with Quicks world on the called off goal, The Yakupov goal, and the game winner. Classic. Junkyard Smyth has suddenly ramped up Gagners game. Guess who he's learning from. Any scrum around the net tonight Gagner was there banging.

Yakupov. Told people this guy is the next one. Said it in prospects TC. Sublime skill, heart of a warrior. Gagner and Yak have so much heart playing together and loving it.

Yakupov is a classic entertainer, huge performer, fantastic hand eye coordination, fantastic release and just flying out there tonight.
I noticed that too against the big bad Kings that Gagner did a helluva job with battling. He is stronger.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROTT View Post
Anyone else agree that the "instigating with a visor" penalty is BS? I can live with Smid getting the original instigating penalty for starting the fight with Nolan after the hit on Eberle. But to give Smid another penalty for instigating because he did not take of his helmet before the fight seams redundant. And if they put this rule in place to cut down on injuries/advantages to players because of visors, it seams odd to give the penalty to one of the players but not the other when their both wearing visors.

Also I wonder what happens to this rule if a player takes off his helmet before a fight because he wears a visor. Only to fall to the ice and get a concussion or get killed like Don Sanderson. Kind of seams odd to make a player remove a piece of protective equipment and put him in a position that could end his career. One could argue that helmets often come off during fights, but that its beside the point.

Sorry if this was already brought up and to beat a dead horse, but I kind of need to vent/rant...
The visor instigator was called last year I recall on Petrell. But with all the encouragement to wear visors and having a penalty like this....yeah.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 AM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 230
quite an interesting FO report.

Kopitar owned. Richards got owned.

Stoll is the interesting one. 28 FO in total. Owned Gagner and Nuge. But couldnt really beat Horcoff or Belanger. 0-3 against Belanger

Belanger was 100% against everyone except Kopitar. Him and Shawn Horcoff couldnt beat him 28%

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I know Hemsky and Gagner aren't perfect players, but the second line has created a ton of chances so far. Yakupov could have easily had 4 goals tonight.
Exactly. A good line is more than the sum of its parts. Theres no question at all that Yakupov puts it over the top but he's being serviced damn fine and I'm sure no complaints. When all 3 are looking this good something happy is going on.

Old
sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Hopefully he had a stroke, i could care less what he will be saying about Yakupov, that celebration was 100% pure emotion due to the circumstances of the game. Cant believe i'm saying this, but that actually felt like a playoff game, so much emtion (mostly due to the s***** reffing)....reminded me of Pisani's shorty in game 5.

Like others have said in here, if other fans have a problem with that celebration, they can suck it....they can suck it long and they can suck it hard. Same goes for the zebras, who should both be on the pogie line tomorrow.

totally agree... it is pure raw emotion and it fricking awesome to see.. majority off people who have a problem with it are just bitter as ****, and i could care less

sdeol44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
He really could have considering he had 12 odd minutes of ice time. My goodness can he shoot that puck. Unlike any forward I've seen on the forward in regards to that one-timer. Just sick. So much power off it.

Spawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Had to start this game late so I PVR'd it, just finished.

Wow, what an incredible game. I almost died of both rage and happiness in the same game.

Some thoughts:
Hall is the master of empty-net goaltending. If it wasn't for that tiny little shot block, none of the rest of the game would have happened.

I hate refs.

Yakupov! Holy hell, do I need to explain?

Throwing Belanger out for the Yakupov goal was an incredible coaching move. Like the Hall play, none of that would have happened without him there.

Overall, most emotional and dramatic game I have seen in a long time.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
timekeep

Quote:
Really liked his game tonight, shouldn't be a healthy scratch again.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:01 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Gagners been all over both the wins we have this year or we got no results.
Gagner had his best game of the season tonight but his 2-10 for 16% on the dot tonight was abysmal.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Arpeggio

I'll just say that in the two wins so far I've been very impressed with the Oilers. Outside of the one period against the Sharks they've been good in their own zone. The defence is moving the puck effectively, and Petry and Smid are really stepping it up physically.

Once the offence comes at 5 on 5, and it will, this team will be fun to watch if they keep the rest of their game at the level it was at tonight.

Can't remember the last time the Oilers outshot either the Canucks or the Kings, and they've done it to both already this year.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:03 AM
oakfield

Kings post game interviews give the Oilers next to no credit. Quick blames a bounce, Doughty blames the refs, Sutter says we should have been penalized for throwing things on the ice.

Classy loss LA.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Quote:
Exactly. A good line is more than the sum of its parts. Theres no question at all that Yakupov puts it over the top but he's being serviced damn fine and I'm sure no complaints. When all 3 are looking this good something happy is going on.
The line is having its defensive break downs (they were on ice for a lot of GA in the first two games). But, Yakupov settled down big time tonight and Gagner had his best game of the three by far. It would be great if he found some consistency. I like the looks of it. I also think that you can mix and match a bunch of the players on the top 2 lines and have success.

I'm still looking for the first line to really click and dominate a game. Can't wait for it to happen. It will be glorious when it does.

Spawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
McDeepika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
He really could have considering he had 12 odd minutes of ice time. My goodness can he shoot that puck. Unlike any forward I've seen on the forward in regards to that one-timer. Just sick. So much power off it.
How great was that play early in the game where he just bulldozed his way to the net and got a good backhand off?

He's not simply a shooter. He has a good nose for the net as well. Great goal scoring instincts.

McDeepika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Is anyone else just watching the last 5 minutes of the game over and over? Love it!!
I've been watching highlights and interviews for an hour haha.

Old
Soundwave

The torque Yakupov can get on his shot when he winds up is almost frightening.

Awesome battle between Yakupov and Quick tonight.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:04 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Has anyone else noticed how bad the ice has been in these two home games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How much would a new ice plant cost for Rexall? Since both the Oilers and OK's play there they really should put one in because we don't need our guys getting injured because of crappy ice, not to mention unlike in years past we are just about as skilled as anyone so good ice benefits us.
Something about so many events, but I think Northlands is making excuses, never has been a problem before. Like someone said Northlands most likely cheaped out when they bought the new ice plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Guy on the radio just had a dynamite suggestion, make it mandatory for the refs to do an interview with media after all games to be accountable for their actions as players and coaches have to.
I rather have them attend a lynching, I could see Sutter and Krueger arm wrestling to see who gets to kick the chair out and who gets to tie the rope.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:04 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
quite an interesting FO report.

Kopitar owned. Richards got owned.

Stoll is the interesting one. 28 FO in total. Owned Gagner and Nuge. But couldnt really beat Horcoff or Belanger. 0-3 against Belanger

Belanger was 100% against everyone except Kopitar. Him and Shawn Horcoff couldnt beat him 28%
For as much flak as the two of them take, they are decent on the draw (Belanger especially)

You know, I still don't get how Smid got an instigator. Watching it again, even though he skates over to Nolan, Nolan clearly throws of his gloves and starts it before Smid does anything.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Gagner had his best game of the season tonight but his 2-10 for 16% on the dot tonight was abysmal.
Kings are generally good on the dot.

Sam was 7-3 the night before afairc.

On one draw Sam was hampered as well in that if he cheated on Stoll he would've got the penalty as the first Oiler got tossed out. Thats the new rule. It makes it kind of like a second serve in Tennis where you now have to be careful. Lol, Stoll almost got a penalty on that play but stopped just short of touching the puck with his glove on the draw. Can't do that now.

Rule changes, rule changes

Old
01-25-2013, 01:05 AM
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yak is one weird dude but i'm glad that he's on our side. That celly was freaking classic. It seems like he lost his mind and didn't know what to do, i love it though, opposing fans probably hate him by now lol.
What a wacky game. The Oilers obviously have some big problems to fix because this game was following the script of all their other games against these types of teams but man, that ending was worth it. WOW
Read the thread on the main boards. A lot of butt hurt people on there pissed at Yaks reaction.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:06 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
Quote:
All right.. a couple of bad shifts in a row. Probably something you've seen before; went for the hit, stood the guy up, but not before the puck got behind him for a 2 on 1. At least he made contact with the first guy, Peckham probably would have missed.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Quote:
Kings are generally good on the dot.

Sam was 7-3 the night before afairc.

On one draw Sam was hampered as well in that if he cheated on Stoll he would've got the penalty as the first Oiler got tossed out. Thats the new rule. It makes it kind of like a second serve in Tennis where you now have to be careful. Lol, Stoll almost got a penalty on that play but stopped just short of touching the puck with his glove on the draw. Can't do that now.

Rule changes, rule changes
I distinctly remember Alexei Ponikorovsky getting the second man thrown out penalty a moon back. It's not new. The using your hand as a deadly weapon of faceoffs, though. That's new.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Peckman View Post
Tricksie hobbitses
Best post of the night!