HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best Consecutive 1st Overall Picks

View Poll Results: What is the Best Consecutive #1 Overall Pick Duo?
1970/1971 - Gilbert Perrault/Guy Lafleur 31 14.16%
1984/1985 - Mario Lemieux/Wendel Clark 39 17.81%
1988/1989 - Mike Modano/Mats Sundin 6 2.74%
2004/2005 - Alex Ovechkin/Sidney Crosby 140 63.93%
2008/2009 - Steven Stamkos/John Tavares 3 1.37%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Since when is Wendel Clark even remotely close to being as good as Crosby and Ovechkin? His career high was 76 points. It would take Crosby a little more than fifty games to beat that.

Let's not overrate Lemieux. Yes, he's probably the most talented player of all time but he's not better than the combination of a 65 goal scorer and a 120 point generational center.
Way more reasonable than you think. Wendel Clark while not a tremendous point producer was a great two way guy and physical force, very good (not great) player. Lemieux is much better than Crosby, and i think Crosby is unreal, so the gap from Ovechkin to Clark is arguably made up there. I don't think you realize just how good Lemieux was. Crosby may be generational but Lemieux is an all timer, surpassed only by Gretzky in dominance as a forward. I honestly think a first line of Clark-Lemieux would outproduce a line of Crosby-Ovechkin.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Way more reasonable than you think. Wendel Clark while not a tremendous point producer was a great two way guy and physical force, very good (not great) player. Lemieux is much better than Crosby, and i think Crosby is unreal, so the gap from Ovechkin to Clark is arguably made up there. I don't think you realize just how good Lemieux was. Crosby may be generational but Lemieux is an all timer, surpassed only by Gretzky in dominance as a forward. I honestly think a first line of Clark-Lemieux would outproduce a line of Crosby-Ovechkin.
The thing is that with Lemieux, his line will most likely outproduce any line that does not include Gretzky.

Those two utilized their teammates in a way i have never seen before. Especially Gretzky.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
darglor

vCash: 50
How the heck is Ovechkin/Crosby leading? Being a generational talent is pointless if you squander that talent. I'm looking at you, Ovechkin.

Crosby + what Ovechkin has become is not anywhere close to the best combo up there.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

vCash: 500
Lemieux arguably the best talent of all time? It doesn't matter who comes before, or after in those years.

McDavid and Ekblad should be interesting though.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote