HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #4: vs Chicago, 1.24 (7:30 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
01-24-2013, 11:09 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Stars coach Glen Gulutzan was upset with the battle level of the Stars in allowing 41 shots on goal and giving up seven power plays.
Time to turn those words into action Glen.. start using Ice time as reward/punishment.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
I'm sure he said "we need to be better prepared." Can't go a post game loss interview without him saying that.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 01-24-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Aucoin11*

vCash: 500
Speaking as someone who doesn't have the stars as their favorite team, I really do enjoy watching the stars.

The last two games have been really open and just filled great pace and entertaining hockey. Ray whitney, Jagr, and Eriksson are incredibly fun to watch on offense. In net, I don't know if there's a goalie I enjoy watching more than Kari. His pads, play style, skating, attitude, and everything. He deserved better today.

That said, If I was a die hard stars fan I would probably be livid with the ice time of certain players and general effort level. Morrow simply hasn't been an NHL player for the last two seasons or so. Same thing for robidas. Unfortunately, I don't think the stars exactly have a great amount to replace robidas' ice time. I'm not saying leave him there on the top pair, but the depth of their defense isn't exactly spectacular. Morrow however is pretty replaceable.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Alistar

well it's nice that we got a point in a game where I expected 0.

Dallas has to start playing even with teams though. You could make very strong arguments that they should be 0-4 right now without the stellar play of their goaltenders - which simply won't last.

Jamie Benn coming back will help a bit, but GM Joe has to make major changes to this lineup if he hopes for this team to make the playoffs. What we've seen so far simply isn't near good enough.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:06 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Our forwards are fine - more than fine, good. We've got the top end talent (back), and for once we have the depth to make us a real threat offensively.

Unfortunately, we have 3 functioning defensemen in the NHL, 4 (maybe 5) in the entire organization. Robidas is useless unless his minutes get seriously cut, Goligoski has just been atrocious (what the **** was he doing in OT...), Benn is nothing more than a #6 at best, and Rome won't be anything but a bottom-pairing defender. We need help, and now. Oleksiak won't fix all of our problems, either, but he'd help a ton.

And if a guy like Laviolette gets canned, Gully better be gone quick. I don't care about 3 coaches in four years, he's proven enough to show that he's pretty incompetent as a coach (although most of the problems revolve around two players - there's that leadership group again). I'm still wondering why Joe didn't try and get rid of all four of them this summer.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The youth movement should have started many seasons ago. My patience with Gulutzan is running out.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Speaking as someone who doesn't have the stars as their favorite team, I really do enjoy watching the stars.

The last two games have been really open and just filled great pace and entertaining hockey. Ray whitney, Jagr, and Eriksson are incredibly fun to watch on offense. In net, I don't know if there's a goalie I enjoy watching more than Kari. His pads, play style, skating, attitude, and everything. He deserved better today.

That said, If I was a die hard stars fan I would probably be livid with the ice time of certain players and general effort level. Morrow simply hasn't been an NHL player for the last two seasons or so. Same thing for robidas. Unfortunately, I don't think the stars exactly have a great amount to replace robidas' ice time. I'm not saying leave him there on the top pair, but the depth of their defense isn't exactly spectacular. Morrow however is pretty replaceable.
You must have missed the Minnesota game I guess

It must be said that, like tonight, Kari can't carry the team all season. Things need to be tightened up.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Robidas is useless unless his minutes get seriously cut

I'm still wondering why Joe didn't try and get rid of all four of them this summer.
I really would like to see what he's like with 3rd pair minutes, minus any powerplay or penalty kill time. I seriously don't get how they don't see it. Obviously the other four guys (not including Gogo for obvious reason) are not #1/2 options either, but why not freaking try one of them up there already?

And it wouldn't shock me at all if Joe did try and no one wanted to bite on either of the two.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:28 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Dillon - Larsen has below-average top pairing on a not so great team written all over it. Try it, they're the only ones doing anything so far.

I think Goligoski will settle down a bit once he gets paired with a guy like Oleksiak. Both him and Robidas only seem to succeed when they're paired with a shutdown defender (which neither of them are, obviously).

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I imagine Larsen's own penalty issues have him in Gulutzan's doghouse. The kid's made some mistakes but he also has some solid play and Dillion at least wins puck battles when he hits people.

My hope for this season has been dashed again by the same damn scapegoats as has been for three seasons now. Morrow, Robidas, Goligoski, and kid's making kid mistakes. I really, really hope after the trade deadline it's Whitney, Jagr and the kids playing their hearts out, even though they're going to screw up fairly regularly, but knowing the team as a whole will be better for them getting ice time down the stretch for next year.

I want to see Fraser, Sceviour, Vincour, and Olesiak up with Dallas for a good stretch of games and I wouldn't mind Chiasson or Nemeth in the final few either.

I don't care how bad LA or PHX has started, if this team continues to give up 40 shots a night we're in the cellar in the Pacific and towards the bottom of the West. And can someone please tell me how many times players need to repeat the same mistakes before some kind of change is made? I really wish someone would call Gully on his usage of Morrow and how he justifies his cycle of insanity putting Morrow in position to perpetually fail.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Stars Fan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
You must have missed the Minnesota game I guess

It must be said that, like tonight, Kari can't carry the team all season. Things need to be tightened up.
Exactly.

This game was in the bag, but...

Stars Fan is offline   Reply With Quote