HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:07 AM
jebs

vCash: 500
So I guess Justin Schultz walks straight in and becomes our #1 dman eh..

He is soo good.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:08 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep, quite possibly the most well rounded game he's played. He stood up to Doughty three times in this game, when at him relentlessly, had the balls to crosscheck him.

Anybody noticing Gagner is stronger this year and won several puck battles along the boards tonight.

Remember the brilliant dish to Yak (saucer pass) in the 2nd period. Or Gagner saving a GA late in game by getting back on a 2 on 1 and breaking up the play. Or Gagner in the two man short situation preventing a sure goal?

Gagner, hitting, Gagner flying, Gagner moving puck well. Frankly Gagner has been involved in every stitch of offence his line has had this year.

Gagner also doing what good players do by growing his game. Worked on the one timer all off season, its showing and the team is noting his one timer and trying to work it. He worked the weights this off season to give him more battle, and he's continuing to think the game better. Sure the Hopkins pass was great but Gagner(nobody else) had the presence of mind to go to the net hard(all night he did that) and without him making that decision we're not talking about the goal.

Finally, Gagner in the paint and messing with Quicks world on the called off goal, The Yakupov goal, and the game winner. Classic. Junkyard Smyth has suddenly ramped up Gagners game. Guess who he's learning from. Any scrum around the net tonight Gagner was there banging.

Yakupov. Told people this guy is the next one. Said it in prospects TC. Sublime skill, heart of a warrior. Gagner and Yak have so much heart playing together and loving it.

Yakupov is a classic entertainer, huge performer, fantastic hand eye coordination, fantastic release and just flying out there tonight.
Yep, Gagner was a stud tonight and was also real good in the Vancouver game as well, just a great compete level in that kid and he's finally starting to win some puck battles more consistently. I really hope that he turns the corner for real this time, it's very easy to cheer for him. All heart. Hemsky is the one on that line who needs to get his ass in gear, he's in la la land more times than not.
I think adding a crash and bang winger to the Gagner-Yak line would do wonders for them, it would free up a lot of space for them. If only Hartikainen had some top 6 skills.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

He is soo good.
Well it's not like anyone else is putting up much of a fight for the title, lol.

Nick Schultz was terrible tonight.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:09 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

He is soo good.
I don't know how he does it, but he's like a mobile and just better at hockey Ryan Whitney. Picked him up as my 6th defenceman.

Loving it.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
So, who do you all think will be the first member of the media to say Yakupov's celebration was excessive?

Keep in mind Don Cherry isn't on air until Saturday

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post
Kings post game interviews give the Oilers next to no credit. Quick blames a bounce, Doughty blames the refs, Sutter says we should have been penalized for throwing things on the ice.

Classy loss LA.
I expected the sour grapes. They're the GREAT KINGS OF THE MOUNTAIN right now and shouldn't be losing to the lowly Oil from Deadmonton.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Kings post game interviews give the Oilers next to no credit. Quick blames a bounce, Doughty blames the refs, Sutter says we should have been penalized for throwing things on the ice.

Classy loss LA.
In fairness to LA they're missing two solid D and having some trouble finding their legs.

Still, they hit 3 goalposts, had a goal called back as well, and were in control. They were never behind in the game, on the road.

That LA team is used to winning when they do stuff like that, now they'e lost two tight ones and probably just angry. Its good to be able to make the SC champs angry. Don't think it didn't happen.

Quick got the call he wanted on the tying goal (goal called back) and then still lost the game. He was PISSED. Never saw a goalie storm off the ice so angry since guys like Hextall and Billy Smith. Make no mistake, we got under skin.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CopperBlue2794

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxVihV8c5rg

UNBELIEVABLE GAME ... but check out Horcoff's celly back in the day. Of course Yak's is a lot like Theo Fleury's but it reminded me of Horcoff back against SJ in game 3 of triple OT

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
So, who do you all think will be the first member of the media to say Yakupov's celebration was excessive?

Keep in mind Don Cherry isn't on air until Saturday

I think Don Cherry probably was awakened out of bed somewhere in Ontario sensing a disturbance in the force or something when Yakupov scored

Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I expected the sour grapes. They're the GREAT KINGS OF THE MOUNTAIN right now and shouldn't be losing to the lowly Oil from Deadmonton.
I wandered over to the Kings board, and nobody over there is mad at us. Classy bunch of fans, actually.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
Stars fan here. Saw Fistric got in tonight.. How'd he look?
Fistric did his thing. Couple big hits. For a 6th dman and first game of the season for a new team, pretty good game.

He was the cause for a couple of LA 2 on 1s though when he was flat footed one time and got caught going for a big hit another time.

Last edited by AK Dandyman: 01-25-2013 at 01:16 AM.
AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:11 AM
soothsayer

Quote:

Classy loss LA.
LOL, you could understand him? The guy was doing his best Jim Lahey impersonation.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yep, Gagner was a stud tonight and was also real good in the Vancouver game as well, just a great compete level in that kid and he's finally starting to win some puck battles more consistently. I really hope that he turns the corner for real this time, it's very easy to cheer for him. All heart. Hemsky is the one on that line who needs to get his ass in gear, he's in la la land more times than not.
Hemsky was horrible on that 5-on-3. He is a player that always makes some questionable decisions. Still even despite everybody being all over him tonight, he made some really nice plays as well. Had some really nice passes and had a few dangerous sla-shots as well.

He's never going to have good hockey sense but he is a good player.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Well it's not like anyone else is putting up much of a fight for the title, lol.

Nick Schultz was terrible tonight.
He was terrible on the Kings goal. I thought he was good other than that. Hardly noticed him. The whole defensive core seemed fine for the most part. Whitney even.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think Don Cherry probably was awakened out of bed somewhere in Ontario sensing a disturbance in the force or something when Yakupov scored
"I feel something in the air... a feeling I haven't felt since..."

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Honestly, best thing from this game is that even without our best defenseman (IMO) in Smid for most of the 1st, we were ok.

Petry - Smid is a legitimate top-pairing IMO.
Schultz - Schultz is a very adequate 2nd pairing.
Fistric - X is good. Whitney, unfortunately only has his breakout pass at this point. If we could package Whitney + Hemsky for a good defenseman, this defense would actually be strong. Slot Hartikainen into Hemsky's spot, and we're ready to roll.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think adding a crash and bang winger to the Gagner-Yak line would do wonders for them, it would free up a lot of space for them. If only Hartikainen had some top 6 skills.
Theres been some comment that Hemmer's a little redundant on the line because Gagner's playmaking and puck control is getting consistent. Also that Gagner is moving the puck in a lot of the time and setting up basically all of the plays. That said Yakupov and Hemmer are some great options and its really giving Gagner a lot to work with.

Keep it together 20 games at least. This could be a keeper line.

Old
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I tend to get pretty pessimistic when the Oilers are down, and it shows in my GDT posts, but wow, what an ending. I didn't feel like they were gonna make it happen tonight, which made the Hopkins goal that much more entertaining... the strange events that followed made it that much crazier. Very memorable game, can't wait to read the LMHF report

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I wandered over to the Kings board, and nobody over there is mad at us. Classy bunch of fans, actually.
Besides the spat we had with them during the Smyth trade, yeah, I agree. I'm just referring to the Doughty's and the Quick's.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 AM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

I'm not changing this avatar for a while.

I've got class tomorrow but I'm still buzzing.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Could Ralph Krueger be the best coach weve had since Slats?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
I can't sleep, I'm still high on endorphins! We just witnessed a pretty intense character-building moment.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres been some comment that Hemmer's a little redundant on the line because Gagner's playmaking and puck control is getting consistent. Also that Gagner is moving the puck in a lot of the time and setting up basically all of the plays. That said Yakupov and Hemmer are some great options and its really giving Gagner a lot to work with.

Keep it together 20 games at least. This could be a keeper line.
Not to bash Hemsky or anything but if Yakupov and Gagner had some muscle (with skill) in that line they'd be pretty beastly.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Besides the spat we had with them during the Smyth trade, yeah, I agree. I'm just referring to the Doughty's and the Quick's.
Well Quick did say that if they kept giving a team "as skilled as they (Edmonton) are" they would pay for it and that's what happened in OT, so I would say that's some acknowledgement.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Always, they're good people. never had a problem with Kings fans and several of them have posted up on this board through the years.

I think theres always been a connection due to Gretzky, some of the playoff tilts, Miracle on Manchester, etc.