HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 AM
vespa99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The line is having its defensive break downs (they were on ice for a lot of GA in the first two games). But, Yakupov settled down big time tonight and Gagner had his best game of the three by far. It would be great if he found some consistency. I like the looks of it. I also think that you can mix and match a bunch of the players on the top 2 lines and have success.

I'm still looking for the first line to really click and dominate a game. Can't wait for it to happen. It will be glorious when it does.

Saturday would work for me

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 AM
JaredCowenFan
True Canadian - '67

Love hearing the 630 Ched Post-Game.

Got the new Yaky Avy.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Well it's not like anyone else is putting up much of a fight for the title, lol.

Nick Schultz was terrible tonight.
Not true. Petry's been good too

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Hemsky was horrible on that 5-on-3. He is a player that always makes some questionable decisions. Still even despite everybody being all over him tonight, he made some really nice plays as well. Had some really nice passes and had a few dangerous sla-shots as well.

He's never going to have good hockey sense but he is a good player.
The problem with Hemsky is that he hasn't improved at all since his early years, he's the same exact player basically and it's frustrating to watch. I guess similar to accepting Horcoff for who he is, i should perhaps do the same with Hemsky. I feel that a crash and bang winger would be a better fit in Hemsky's place on the Gagner line, i just don't see where he fits on the roster anymore.
I wouldn't mind trying Hartikainen on that line, he has shown in the recent past that he can keep up and play well with skilled players (RNH and Eberle) so why not give it a shot maybe not now but sometime this season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Woo, good to hear we got the win. Can't wait to watch on Saturday!

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Well Quick did say that if they kept giving a team "as skilled as they (Edmonton) are" they would pay for it and that's what happened in OT, so I would say that's some acknowledgement.
I suppose, but teams were saying that about the Oilers two years ago. It felt like a condescending pat on the head. Oh well; onwards and upwards.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BadMedicine*

Quote:
I think Don Cherry probably was awakened out of bed somewhere in Ontario sensing a disturbance in the force or something when Yakupov scored
Oh god thank you,that was epic!!!!

And to think Yak could have had 4 goals tonight easily is even more epic.

This is why I say we need MPS with Gags and Yakupov,more consistant puck distribution and more creativity.

Im gonna miss Cherry some day,I think he is a closet Ruskie fan myself,he is a patriot but deep down he just likes the best hockey players out there.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Hemsky was horrible on that 5-on-3. He is a player that always makes some questionable decisions. Still even despite everybody being all over him tonight, he made some really nice plays as well. Had some really nice passes and had a few dangerous sla-shots as well.

He's never going to have good hockey sense but he is a good player.
You'll remember me talking this for years but I've never much liked Hemsky on a 5 on 3 especially and he tends to kill the clock. You need to move it quicker in that situation and no need to wait for something. you pass it around to break the coverage. Remain static and its easier to defend.

Hemskys been good this year, but in 3 games this was his 3rd best game.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:22 AM
ales83fan

What an epic game.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
Have been married for over 22 years at that is the first time I've seen my wife cry over a hockey game, Tears of joy

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
JetsAlternate

What a game.

Nail is getting better every single time he steps on to the ice. He rushed the puck up a few times today, provided sustained pressure in the offensive zone, made a few nice moves, and had a few very good scoring chances. Gagner and the defense are learning to play with him as well.

If there's one thing I need to complain about, though, it's that Hemsky and Yakupov don't seem to work well together. I haven't been happy about that pairing at all. When both are skating down the ice together, it seems Hemsky would rather shoot than drop it to Nail.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You'll remember me talking this for years but I've never much liked Hemsky on a 5 on 3 especially and he tends to kill the clock. You need to move it quicker in that situation and no need to wait for something. you pass it around to break the coverage. Remain static and its easier to defend.

Hemskys been good this year, but in 3 games this was his 3rd best game.
Yeah he really wastes time holding on to the puck during Powerplays. I like RNH and Eberle's set plays they use, they should do it more especially on 5 on 3s.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PETRYDISH

I'm not even worried about hemmer or our top six. Our bottom six has to be the worst in the league. Horcoff can't even win face offs anymore let alone handle the puck, and smyth simply can't keep up. It's really going to be a problem this year because depth is incredibly important, but three games on and Horcoff is the same crap player he's been the last couple of year and it seems he doesn't care.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Digger12

TSNRyanRishaug: Stoll on Yakupov “It wasn’t something that was looked in a positive light in our dressing room but so be it he made a good play on the goal”

I can understand his sentiment, and I have all the time in the world for Stoll.

But for tonight and tonight only, he can kiss my ass and get the hell out of here.

0 and 3, Jarret!

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Perfect example of refs injecting themselves into a game, still there were a ridiculous number of stupid, obvious penalties from both teams.

That's the type of game that keeps me re-upping. Humour, anger, jubilation, fun conversations with the officials, awkward hi-fives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I'm not even worried about hemmer or our top six. Our bottom six has to be the worst in the league. Horcoff can't even win face offs anymore let alone handle the puck, and smyth simply can't keep up. It's really going to be a problem this year because depth is incredibly important, but three games on and Horcoff is the same crap player he's been the last couple of year and it seems he doesn't care.
The bottom six killed 8 penalties tonight, if we lost tonight it would have totally been on the top 6 skill guys.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Have been married for over 22 years at that is the first time I've seen my wife cry over a hockey game, Tears of joy
Haha. Loving the emotion here now. What a drama!

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Ryan Smyth seems out of place as well, as crazy as it is to say that. He skates so slowly, and doesn't appear very effective. He and Horcoff aren't helping the team very much. I suppose we have to deal with it, though, as the sentiment of having him in an Oilers jersey again is more important than his performance.

I just don't think he has very much left to offer.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-25-2013 at 01:33 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
What a game.

If there's one thing I need to complain about, though, it's that Hemsky and ______ don't seem to work well together. I haven't been happy about that pairing at all. When both are skating down the ice together, it seems Hemsky would rather shoot than drop it to _____.
Story of Hemsky's tenure here, lol. I think Hemmer is trying to shoot more though because he got that goal on Luongo in the opener.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kings are generally good on the dot.

Sam was 7-3 the night before afairc.

On one draw Sam was hampered as well in that if he cheated on Stoll he would've got the penalty as the first Oiler got tossed out. Thats the new rule. It makes it kind of like a second serve in Tennis where you now have to be careful. Lol, Stoll almost got a penalty on that play but stopped just short of touching the puck with his glove on the draw. Can't do that now.

Rule changes, rule changes
Actually Sam was 7-7 in the Canucks game and 10-7 in the Sharks game. So Sam has had some success in this young season on the dot which is good to see.

Having said that...the fact that the Kings are good on the dot doesn't excuse a ridiculously bad 16%.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Perfect example of refs injecting themselves into a game, still there were a ridiculous number of stupid, obvious penalties from both teams.

That's the type of game that keeps me re-upping. Humour, anger, jubilation, fun conversations with the officials, awkward hi-fives.
The NHL neglected to send the Oilers the video tape of all the rule changes so instead figured that they would just incorporate them all into the game film..

I'm kidding

I think

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Eager getting hurt really sucks. I think we could really use him this year.

At least Jones will be back at some point.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:29 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

that celebration was epic! congrats on the win. one love

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:30 AM
oakfield

Hasn't been mentioned much, but how big was Hall's blocked shot on the empty net? Saved the game right there.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I agree, but Belanger more than earned his pay for one night when he won the draw leading to Yakupov's goal.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

All I can say is.. Yakupov is the real deal. The most dangerous player on the ice. I'm just wondering why he isn't on our first pp because he has the best shot on our team imo. Also, the kid line isn't working and needs to be split up. Something like:
Hall/Gagner/Eberle
Yak/RNH/Hemsky

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote