HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
I'm sorry but wtf has Hartikainen done to deserve 1line PP time?
What has Horcoff? At least Hartikainen was a big part of the AHL leading PP with those same 4 guys and doesn't stop screening the goalie when he gets a tap on his legs. Watching Horcoff get out of Quick's way when Quick asked him to was infuriating for me.

Horcoff brings nothing to the first PP except maybe a 5-10% increase in FO. Letting RNH take the draws means we might lose 1-2 more draws per game.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Actually Sam was 7-7 in the Canucks game and 10-7 in the Sharks game. So Sam has had some success in this young season on the dot which is good to see.

Having said that...the fact that the Kings are good on the dot doesn't excuse a ridiculously bad 16%.
No, but the OT winner helps to smooth it over . So happy... don't want to go to bed only to have to wake up in 6 hours! Boo-urns work

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post
Hasn't been mentioned much, but how big was Hall's blocked shot on the empty net? Saved the game right there.
good point. I remember thinking at the time how important that could end up being... then I totally forgot about it with everything that happened

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
No, but the OT winner helps to smooth it over . So happy... don't want to go to bed only to have to wake up in 6 hours! Boo-urns work
Yeah this seriously needs to be Friday, oh, it is, you know what I mean.

I Gotta get up at 6 yuck.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:35 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Ryan Smyth seems out of place as well, as crazy as it is to say that. He skates so slowly, and doesn't appear very effective. He and Horcoff aren't helping the team very much. I suppose we have to deal with it, though, as the sentiment of having him in an Oilers jersey again is more important than his performance.

I just don't think he has very much left to offer.
They both played 4 minutes on an 8/8 PK tonight.

I'd say that's helping the team a good bit.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
All I can say is.. Yakupov is the real deal. The most dangerous player on the ice. I'm just wondering why he isn't on our first pp because he has the best shot on our team imo. Also, the kid line isn't working and needs to be split up. Something like:
Hall/Gagner/Eberle
Yak/RNH/Hemsky
Yakupov and Gagner are the ones with the chemistry right now. You keep them together.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah this seriously needs to be Friday, oh, it is, you know what I mean.

I Gotta get up at 6 yuck.
Ditto and I'm not sleepy, kind of wired from the game. This may very well be a day when I am at work by 4 and home by 2, sleeping.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:37 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
All I can say is.. Yakupov is the real deal. The most dangerous player on the ice. I'm just wondering why he isn't on our first pp because he has the best shot on our team imo. Also, the kid line isn't working and needs to be split up. Something like:
Hall/Gagner/Eberle
Yak/RNH/Hemsky
I think Yak would be more suited on the right side for one timers. I also agree with Moonlapse Vertigo that Gagner and Yakupov have looked very good together. Hemsky has been the problem on that line.

Perhaps switch Eberle with Hemsky:

Eberle/Gagner/Yakupov
Hall/RNH/Hemsky

Those would be two balanced scoring lines. On the disallowed goal, Eberle created the chance from the left side of the ice. I'm sure he could play the left side. As a right-handed shot, that also sets him up for one timers, and provides him with a better angle for backhanders.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:38 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
What has Horcoff? At least Hartikainen was a big part of the AHL leading PP with those same 4 guys and doesn't stop screening the goalie when he gets a tap on his legs. Watching Horcoff get out of Quick's way when Quick asked him to was infuriating for me.

Horcoff brings nothing to the first PP except maybe a 5-10% increase in FO. Letting RNH take the draws means we might lose 1-2 more draws per game.
Maybe Hartikainen should become something more than a borderline NHL player before he gets first unit pp time?

His play has been very underwhelming so far.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:39 AM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Yakupov and Gagner are the ones with the chemistry right now. You keep them together.
So then maybe

Hall/RNH/Hemsky
Yak/Gagner/Eberle

Is it just me or does Hemsky not match up well with anyone?

ExOilerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:40 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Agreed. You can clearly see the chemistry, and they're the 2 actually showing up every shift. Why change that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe Hartikainen should become something more than a borderline NHL player before he gets first unit pp time?

His play has been very underwhelming so far.
Ya it's unfortunate. I feel as though his skating isn't quite good enough at the NHL level right now to play the style he does in the AHL

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:41 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Justin please dont jump on Gagner again... hes like 5'10, youre like 6'3

he couldnt even hold on, he collapsed

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:42 AM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I think Yak would be more suited on the right side for one timers. I also agree with Moonlapse Vertigo that Gagner and Yakupov have looked very good together. Hemsky has been the problem on that line.

Perhaps switch Eberle with Hemsky:

Eberle/Gagner/Yakupov
Hall/RNH/Hemsky

Those would be two balanced scoring lines. On the disallowed goal, Eberle created the chance from the left side of the ice. I'm sure he could play the left side.
Yeah that looks about right. And I've noticed Eberle has most of his chances on the left side while Yakupov has most of his chances on the right side. It would work out well imo

ExOilerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:43 AM
Soundwave

I kinda disagree that the 1st line isn't clicking.

They are generating a lot of chances and even being able to hold the offensive zone for a lot longer than last year, a clear sign they are maturing physically. They played the Sedin line 1 on 1 for much of that Vancouver game like it was no big deal.

I don't even know what to do with myself when I see us pin other teams in their own zone for extended periods of time, it's been so long since I've see an Oiler line be able to create sustained pressure on shifts, lol.

They're just not finishing, Eberle, RNH, Hall all probably could easily have an extra goal or two each.

It'll come.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Believe me I'm no Horcoff fan but untill RNH can win a draw, either Horcoff or Belanger has to be on that #1 unit or you aoutomatically get 1:30 of pp time instead of 2 mins. Win the draw and go to the front of the net, the assignment is quite simple.
Oilers had the #3 PP in the league with Horcoff on it last season. If it ain't broke...

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yak is one weird dude but i'm glad that he's on our side. That celly was freaking classic. It seems like he lost his mind and didn't know what to do, i love it though, opposing fans probably hate him by now lol.
What a wacky game. The Oilers obviously have some big problems to fix because this game was following the script of all their other games against these types of teams but man, that ending was worth it. WOW
Good. I hope opposing teams hate him too, and start taking cheap penalties because he gets under their skin. Then Smid comes in and tears them apart. Sounds like a plan to me. More people should hate Quick, though. What a whiney *****. Hope he never wins another thing in his life.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Yeah that looks about right. And I've noticed Eberle has most of his chances on the left side while Yakupov has most of his chances on the right side. It would work out well imo
Eberle on the left side = better angle for wristshots, backhand shots and one timers.
Yakupov on the right side = same reasons

I truly think it would be a fit.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:44 AM
deep44

Quote:
So then maybe

Hall/RNH/Hemsky
Yak/Gagner/Eberle

Is it just me or does Hemsky not match up well with anyone?
i say keep it as it is right now.. let them get more time together it will look better ... both lines have produced as well.. nuge/hall/ebs line 8 pts in 3 games.. gag/yak/hemmer 7 pts in 3 game.. obviously some of those points are on the pp.. but the lines are also generally the same on the pp as well

deep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:45 AM
OilerNut*

I see a lot of hate posted on other boards about the Oilers. Kinda nice to see, they wouldn't hate us so much if they weren't afraid of us.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Namtsua

Still can't believe this happened!

Namtsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I see a lot of hate posted on other boards about the Oilers. Kinda nice to see, they wouldn't hate us so much if they weren't afraid of us.
A lot of sarcastic comments about our rebuild. Trust me, when the Oilers start to contend for the Cup, people will bring up the tanking just like they did with the Pens.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:49 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

They are generating a lot of chances and even being able to hold the offensive zone for a lot longer than last year, a clear sign they are maturing physically. They played the Sedin line 1 on 1 for much of that Vancouver game like it was no big deal.

I don't even know what to do with myself when I see us pin other teams in their own zone for extended periods of time, it's been so long since I've see an Oiler line be able to create sustained pressure on shifts, lol.

They're just not finishing, Eberle, RNH, Hall all probably could easily have an extra goal or two each.

It'll come.
Agreed.

We should start worrying if they aren't getting chances whatsoever, being hemmed in their own zone, etc.

Obviously, that's not the case. They creating chances and the finishing will come, hopefully sooner rather later.

On another note, Schultz got 2 points

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Big congratulations guys! Yakupov's celly was money -- pure unadulterated joy!!

I hope you guys crush the Lames on Saturday.

Here's a smaller gif of the celly we are sharing on the Jets board.

01-25-2013, 02:51 AM
calvinguy

Good to see Yakupov finally easing into the NHL. Unlike in the World Jr's, he doesn't have as big of a pressure to perform.

Pure hand eye coordination on that goal, just imagine if it had been Horcoff in his place instead.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:52 AM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

It'll come.
I think the first line is doing just fine as well.

They break out from own zone real well, control the play with nice passes, cycling very fluidly, and they haven't given up too many scoring chances to opponents.

The goal is harder to come by on even strength because opposing teams are all going to send out their top defensive d and fwd against them.

Also the way they have been drawing penalties during the 5 on 5 is a good indication that they are doing well.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote