HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Edmonton robbedemption

Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Referring was awful for both teams, 'live by the sword and die by the sword'... I think the oil deserve the game but LA can certainly shrugged it off because it was just a mess overall haha, weirdest most confusing and at the same time elating game I have ever seen. Quick was the best player on the ice, followed by Yakcity. I swear I almost had an aneurism on multiple occasions during this game. In the end Horcoff is still awful.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 AM
fsanford

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
A pathetic attempt to hand the game to the beloved "champs".

So fitting of a finish after that absolutely ridiculous call. Yakupov told them!
Watch the video 15 seconds prior to the disallowed goal being scored and tell me what you see in the crease in front of Quick if the refs wanted to hand the game to the Kings they sure went out of their way trying to prevent it.. Refs were bad throughout the game for both sides

Love the stupid grassy knoll comments.. Somebody seems a little angry the Kings won the cup last year.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Yeah he got pushed in by Scuds, but he didn't stop from running over Quick either.
HF is unanimous that Gagner is soft as butter so how could he possibly "run" anyone over?

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 01-25-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: too much.
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Sacul

I just got back from the game and holy smokes was that insane. I have never been to a regular season game with a crowd that loud. The arena EXPLODED when Yakupov tied the game up. What an exciting player to watch!

Sacul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Just to let you all know, Edmonton fans are RARELY known for throwing crap on the ice and I don't believe we've done that since 2006 when McGeough robbed us from a potential playoff clinching win and even then I don't remember us showing the ice with trash.

It takes a hell of a lot to bring us to that point, and I'm definitely not justifying it but there was a ton of BS the whole game that just built up and exploded with an unprecedented goal call back 1 minute from regulation ending . Combine that with the 3+ years of losing and the passion for hockey in Edmonton and it starts to become clear.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Pekka Rinne

LOL at all the butthurt Kings fan calling it the right call and how Yakupov has no class. Keep it coming

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 AM
jgoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
this isn't the first time edmonton has hyped up their team, and over-reacted at the start of the season. remember that hot streak last year?
You're just bitter that they beat your team last week, it's okay bud.

jgoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 AM
SaxMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
LOL at all the butthurt Kings fan calling it the right call and how Yakupov has no class. Keep it coming
Because it was classless.

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:41 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNumberOne View Post
Well, I didn't watch the game..but the highlight clearly shows Gagner getting away with an obvious cross check right in front of the crease. It's not like they were battling for position either, he came from behind and cross checked the Kings player.

I just find this funny, because it was really the Kings that got robbed in that sequence..they should have been given a powerplay and would have won the game.

The evidence shows it was the Kings getting screwed by the refs here.
Even up after Brown drew 2 penalties with obvious dives? Who knows. Those types of calls are missed or ignored pretty much every game. What you don't see every night however is what everyone else is complaining about.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:41 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
They are butthurt because they disagree with you? Ok.

I myself feel the correct call was made.
1. The referee has every right to deliberate with the other officials and overturn the original call. They did not review the play.
2. Gagner (whether intentional or not) prevented Quick from having the opportunity to make the save.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:42 AM
sid49

I just wanna know how the refs can justify the instigator penalty on Smid.. Nolan has his gloves off before Smid does! the refs were some kind of ridiculous tonight.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 AM
jgoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
Because it was classless.
Quit being a baby, players are allowed to celebrate a goal. If a player on your team did it i'm sure you would be fine with it. It just so happens to be an oiler player so it's deemed "classless". It's funny how when Omark scored that shootout goal there where guys like Stamkos and St. Louis calling it classless. When St. Louis will skate backwards on a penalty shot... not okay for other players to do it though.

jgoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

1. The referee has every right to deliberate with the other officials and overturn the original call. They did not review the play.
2. Gagner (whether intentional or not) prevented Quick from having the opportunity to make the save.
And it's already been pointed out 100 times that that is irrelevant. The WRONG call was made. Even all the analysts agree. That was a good goal. It's simply not debatable

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:47 AM
MessierII

Quote:

It was a bogus call. The entire TSN panel unanimously agreed. There was nothing Gagner could have done.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 AM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
HF is unanimous that Gagner is soft as butter so how could he possibly "run" anyone over?
Well played Jedi! Welcome to the Weiserhood!!!

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

What a weird game. First 55 minutes were hard to watch with all the odd penalties called and failed power plays but boy, the ending made it memorable though. Loved Yakupov's celebration! Very appropriate given the emotions and circumstances. His future celebrations won't be as grand but I hope they will be just as enthusiastic.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

IMO, whether it was a penalty on Gagner or not, you can't reverse a goal call like that after you have awarded a goal, because you are just guessing. If Quick had not have complained the goal would have stood. Just bad reffing.

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:53 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
And it's already been pointed out 100 times that that is irrelevant. The WRONG call was made. Even all the analysts agree. That was a good goal. It's simply not debatable
Quote:
Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.
Gagner was inside of the goal crease when first contact was initiated.

So what if the TSN panel felt as if it was a blown call? There opinions hold no more merit than ours in these discussions.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:53 AM
JetsAlternate

For whatever reason, Bob Miller's call on FOX Sports Kings doesn't do the goal justice. He's still a very good announcer, but he doesn't have the same enthusiasm he used to have. Even as the Kings' regional announcer, he used to elevate his voice, regardless of which team, whenever a dramatic goal was scored. Having watched the game on TSN, it seemed that much more exciting with Chris Cuthbert calling the game. There's also a greater emphasis on the excitement of the crowd. Hopefully that becomes the definitive version of the highlight.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Firstly, Fleury is a Flame - completely irrelevant to an Oiler discussion. Secondly, Yak likely has no idea who Fleury is and has never seen that goal. Thirdly, Esa Tikkanen dominated the very next game - Game 7 - and the Oilers won that series.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:

So what if the TSN panel felt as if it was a blown call? There opinions hold no more merit than ours in these discussions.
The on ice judgement was made, and no penalty was called and the goal was deemed good. It wasn't until after the fact that the goal was taken away. That is what is being debated here, NOT the circumstances leading up to it.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:00 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Firstly, Fleury is a Flame - completely irrelevant to an Oiler discussion. Secondly, Yak likely has no idea who Fleury is and has never seen that goal. Thirdly, Esa Tikkanen dominated the very next game - Game 7 - and the Oilers won that series.
I don't think Nail knew too much about the NHL's history prior to being drafted. When the Oilers gave him a tour of Rexall Place, he was still learning about the history of the Edmonton Oilers.

I don't think he'd know who Theo Fleury was.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:00 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
IMO, whether it was a penalty on Gagner or not, you can't reverse a goal call like that after you have awarded a goal, because you are just guessing. If Quick had not have complained the goal would have stood. Just bad reffing.
This is exactly how I feel. There was no attempt to go upstairs, as in those circumstances it shouldn't/can't happen. They can't reverse a goal after the goal was given because of a hunch after the fact. The ref standing right near the boards saw the entirety of the play, missing both the crosscheck and the eventual false interference. With pointing at the net afterwards, it was clear that under everything he had seen, it was a goal. The goal should have been awarded with out all of that ********.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Well all the experts, and 99% of HF (including most of the Kings fans I've seen) agree on the call being wrong, and that he was pushed into Quick outside the crease, and tried to avoid it, but sure...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:06 AM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Actually most kings fans I've seen are acting pretty classy and realistic about this game. If some are upset well it happens. We all have fans who see things different and act a little out of the norm, just ask a leafs fan about bad eggs.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote