HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Andersson Appreciation Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
lehner is just here until the next goalie gets here as well. lehner will be the future's present and the future's future, until that next guy comes in. don't get too attached.
There might be some issues with the future future goalie. My kid seems to like throwing the ball in his own net and saying goal. Not grasping the whole keeping the ball out of your own net thing.

I am still working on it, but I am no Rick Wamsley.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

vCash: 500
Andy is a top 10 goalie in the NHL. I would MUCH rather have him over the likes of Mike Smith, Ilya Bryzgalov or ugh..Brian Elliott. All goalies who put up better "stats" or get paid more but would be heavily exposed in our system with the number of goal scoring opportunities the Sens give up.

Andy deserves some respect and its not far fetched to see him hold onto the #1 spot for the duration of his contract.

Not only that but the team loves the guy. You have no idea how much they will go to bat for him and its not surprising that they all told the media that Andy was the number 1. They know his value to the team.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:13 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Andy is a top 10 goalie in the NHL. ... All goalies who put up better "stats" or get paid more but would be heavily exposed in our system with the number of goal scoring opportunities the Sens give up.

Andy deserves some respect and its not far fetched to see him hold onto the #1 spot for the duration of his contract.

Not only that but the team loves the guy. You have no idea how much they will go to bat for him and its not surprising that they all told the media that Andy was the number 1. They know his value to the team.
Agree 100% about other goalies in our system (last year anyway). Anderson faced a lot of shots and quality ones. We were one of the more offensive systems in the league and it got us a lot of goals (4th in the NHL) but the otherside was a lot of reliance on Anderson to make a lot of good saves. His .914 sv% was very good considering what he faced imo. A few softies here and there, but not many goalies don't allow those from time to time.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Another mvp performance

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Anderson has been great in both games, kept them in the game in Winnipeg & shut the door all night on the Panthers.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Good job by Anderson. I hope he keeps it up so the next time Ottawa will be statistically likely to take a loss it will fall on a night Lehner starts.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Good job by Anderson. I hope he keeps it up so the next time Ottawa will be statistically likely to take a loss it will fall on a night Lehner starts.
-_- damn you main. Shakes fist.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Now that's just mean ....

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TSA0402

I don't know if he is top ten. But he is close. There are alot of good goalies in the NHL.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:13 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
We're gonna have to take this outside, main.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
mranderson

Thank you all so much.

Couldn't have done it without such a great supporting cast.

Edit: I'd also especially like to thank Nyquil, BingoSensFan, and THIO15.

mranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:19 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Andy is a top 10 goalie in the NHL. I would MUCH rather have him over the likes of Mike Smith, Ilya Bryzgalov or ugh..Brian Elliott. All goalies who put up better "stats" or get paid more but would be heavily exposed in our system with the number of goal scoring opportunities the Sens give up.

Lundqvist, Price, Ward, Hiller, Luongo, Rinne, Quick, Miller, Halak, Kiprusoff, Fleury.

I don't think he's top-10. Top-15 is more appropriate. Even then, I think a lot of goalies could compete with him for those 5 spots (Lehtonen, a healthy DiPietro, Thomas, Brodeur, Theodore, Rask, Schneider, Bryzgalov).

01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Lundqvist, Price, Ward, Hiller, Luongo, Rinne, Quick, Miller, Halak, Kiprusoff, Fleury.

I don't think he's top-10. Top-15 is more appropriate. Even then, I think a lot of goalies could compete with him for those 5 spots (Lehtonen, a healthy DiPietro, Thomas, Brodeur, Theodore, Rask, Schneider, Bryzgalov).
Overrated

11Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:24 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote feature is not working so I'll just say...

I'd rather have Anderson over some of the goalies you mentioned CH because he can play more than 40 games without wearing out (Halak), he's not declining (Kipper) and he's not grossly overrated when he doesn't have a star defence in front of him (Fleury).

He's in my top 10. And I base that on the fact that his playoff performance is amazing. You put him on Philadelphia last year and they win the Cup. Or if he's on Chicago - CUP.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:25 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:

Fluery is so overrated, Luongo still top 10?

When Anderson is on his game he plays like a top 5 goalie. ON HIS GAME, don't misquote me. Games like Colorado game against SJ. Half of last year's playoff performance etc...

I think he is a top 10 goalie in the league or slightly outside.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Lonnie Loach

Andy's an outstanding goaltender. A real leader. Genuine debate at the time as to why he was not on the U.S. Olympic team in Vancouver. Less than a season and playing through a knee injury later he's a Senator.

Lonnie Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
General Granny*

Quote:

Luongo not anymore
Fleury no way
Hiller, close but no.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Savannah Skunk

Bump.

I respect the plethora of opinions regarding our goal-tending.

For the last 16 years, I have been a die hard fan of this team; this is the first time I have ever felt as confident, relieved, and impressed with our number 1 goaltender - Anderson.

(Perhaps Hasek, but I was in Africa at the time; not to many live streams in banana plantations in the Virunga Mountains =) ).

Anderson steals games, is a workhorse, and has proven that he can contend with the best during the playoffs. I hope he continues his current level of play throughout his contract and re-signs. I believe Anderson has what it takes to win Lord Stanley.

Lets give him the fan love and show him what a blessing it is to play in Ottawa, Canada!

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:21 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
I respect the plethora of opinions regarding our goal-tending...
And like Hasek, an adventure when going out of the net (like tonight)

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:55 AM
take a peek

I heart Anderson.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:32 AM
TSA0402

Luongo is still a top ten goalie, all this talk about him being a burden in nets is ridiculous. He is being run out of town by Vancouver media because they didnt win. If Toronto gets him, they are going to be better team, because they have a better goalie.

Fleury has been a bit inconsistent, but his pedigree and numbers are much better than Anderson. People seem to forget Anderson has a habit of letting in weak goals from time to time and lack in consistency too, if it wasn't for that the top 10 thing might be more feasible. They are close.

Then there are Schneider, Backstrom, Smith, Lehtonen etc... alot of closer contested goalies. Its very easy to say he is not a top 10 goalie in the NHL, which is no slight. He is well above average. Even TSN had him ranked 5th out of 7 Canadian Teams in nets.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Luongo is still a top ten goalie, all this talk about him being a burden in nets is ridiculous. He is being run out of town by Vancouver media because they didnt win. If Toronto gets him, they are going to be better team, because they have a better goalie.

Fleury has been a bit inconsistent, but his pedigree and numbers are much better than Anderson. People seem to forget Anderson has a habit of letting in weak goals from time to time and lack in consistency too, if it wasn't for that the top 10 thing might be more feasible. They are close.

Then there are Schneider, Backstrom, Smith, Lehtonen etc... alot of closer contested goalies. Its very easy to say he is not a top 10 goalie in the NHL, which is no slight. He is well above average. Even TSN had him ranked 5th out of 7 Canadian Teams in nets.
Agree to disagree about Luongo. There is a reason why they going with Schneider over Lu. Schneider is better. No offense to Mike Smith, he had a great year last year playing for Dave Tippet's defense first system. But he has been flat out terrible this year and is now injured, plus he was terrible in Tampa Bay for 3 seasons in a row. Did he finally figure it out? Or was last year a one off? Bryzgalov sure looks like a different goalie in Philly.

Let's keep in mind the team's in front of the goalies. Are Brian Elliot and Jaroslav Halak all world goalies, because statistically they are the best. Or does playing on a Hitchcock team play a major factor? *cough* Steve Mason *cough* Leclaire.

Ottawa plays a run and gun style that gives up some huge chances for the other team. Let's not kid ourselves, Anderson faced the most shots of any goalie last year, and he missed over a month!

Here is my top 10

Lundquist, Rinne, Miller, Price, Quick, Kiprusoff, Backstrom, Anderson, Rask, Schneider, with honourable mentions to Halak, Lehtonen, and Brodeur

EDIT: Everyone slides down one notch because I forgot to include James Reimer @ no. 1

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:53 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:

i haven't seen hiller play, so i can't comment on him. andy competes with fluery on that list. on your second list, thomas may get the nod over andy, it depends on how he plays when he comes back. the rest of those guys are just below anderson i think. so just outside the top 10 is where i feel andy goes. i am a huge anderson fan though, and i can't say i watch the other goalies all the time (i have seen a few for them though. 10 or more for all of them except hiller, rask, and schneider). i could be blinded by my andy fandom.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:10 AM
sg58

The goal last night was a real stinker but overall you gotta give Andy a good grade for how he's played over the first three games here. I must admit that I was a little worried about him not playing, especially since he's not a goalie that relies on "robotic" moves as much as some others.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:56 AM
koreaboy

we're in the same spot we were in with hasek. it's so, so nice to know going into pretty much every game that it isn't going to be weak goaltending that's going to cost us the game. he's someone we can put in there with confidence pretty much every game and when you look back at the end of the night, pretty much every single time we come away saying that our goalie was a big factor in helping us win, or at least he wasn't the reason we lost. it's such a nice luxury to have. ask leaf fans how bad it feels when you don't have that.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote