HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
  #26
Brody
$$
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 560
Everyone's on the Jays Dickey

Brody is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
  #27
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,522
vCash: 500
I dont know why you guys think your so funny, the obvious headline would be "BJ's extend Dickey"

Woodman19 is offline  
Old
01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
  #28
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,339
vCash: 500
Orioles sign Jurrjens to 1yr/1.5M incentive deal that can get up to 4M. Is this like their biggest acquisition of the off-season?

Terrible off-season for the Orioles. Other than their bullpen, Orioles are pretty horrible.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:45 AM
  #29
Urban Explorer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West T.dot
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Last ones that come to mind are the Giambis on Oakland.
You're probably right but in money ball oakland get's jason giambis brother after jason is gone. Is this not what happened irl?

Urban Explorer* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:00 AM
  #30
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
You're probably right but in money ball oakland get's jason giambis brother after jason is gone. Is this not what happened irl?
The movie muddles it up a little bit because they start showing things after Jason has left and play up Jeremy as if inserting him into the lineup as a Jason replacement of sorts is a brand new role for him. They had two years of overlap in Oakland (2000 and 2001) with both playing the majority of the season (Jason as a 1B/DH, Jeremy as a RF/LF/DH/1B)

but another poster earlier on is correct about the pair I forgot: The LaRoche bros played together for part of 2009 on the Pirates.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 05:39 AM
  #31
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Everyone's on the Jays Dickey
The Dickey went to Jay's to get his extension

mapes is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 06:22 AM
  #32
Urban Explorer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West T.dot
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The movie muddles it up a little bit because they start showing things after Jason has left and play up Jeremy as if inserting him into the lineup as a Jason replacement of sorts is a brand new role for him. They had two years of overlap in Oakland (2000 and 2001) with both playing the majority of the season (Jason as a 1B/DH, Jeremy as a RF/LF/DH/1B)

but another poster earlier on is correct about the pair I forgot: The LaRoche bros played together for part of 2009 on the Pirates.
I'll never trust another movie again!

Urban Explorer* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
  #33
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/366519...-Open-Mic-PT-1

Open Mic with R.A. Dickey

KuleminFan41 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:53 AM
  #34
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,944
vCash: 500
Braves have a great outfield now. Good hitters, and great range for all 3. It'll be fun playing against them.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
  #35
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,516
vCash: 4200
I still think the Nationals are head and shoulders above the Braves.

Epictetus is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
  #36
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,944
vCash: 500
Oh I do too. Nats are the best team on paper IMHO. I just think the Braves outfield is crazy good.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
  #37
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
hadn't watched these until now. Thanks for posting them. Makes me that much more pumped to have him as a blue jay

dredeye is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
  #38
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I still think the Nationals are head and shoulders above the Braves.
Diddo. I question a little bit just how much Braves have improved. They got Upton brothers, Johnson, Walden but have lost Prado, Chipper (to retirement), Bourn and Hanson. Perhaps marginal improvements? However, they were great last year so they should be great next season too.

Nats are the best team in the league that have everything.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:40 AM
  #39
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,861
vCash: 500
Pitchers and catchers are set to report to camp on the 12th of February? Holy ****, that's soon!

Suntouchable13 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
  #40
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,339
vCash: 500
Wow Marcum gets base salary of 4M and incentives can get it up to maximum of 6M.

I can't believe no team was willing to pay more than that for him. It helps sometimes to wait to the end of off-season and get some solid bargains like this one.

It also makes me laugh at how much Royals are paying for Santana and Guthrie.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  #41
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 5,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I still think the Nationals are head and shoulders above the Braves.
After signing Soriano they are far ahead of the Jays also.

FreeBird is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
  #42
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,516
vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
After signing Soriano they are far ahead of the Jays also.
Considering that the Jays do not play the Nationals once this year, I would consider this largely irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Diddo. I question a little bit just how much Braves have improved. They got Upton brothers, Johnson, Walden but have lost Prado, Chipper (to retirement), Bourn and Hanson. Perhaps marginal improvements? However, they were great last year so they should be great next season too.

Nats are the best team in the league that have everything.
Braves did well to get Upton; I will give them that. However, I just don't think they are as good of a team as they get credited for. And for whatever reason, they cannot win in the playoffs. I bet against them everytime and come away with a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Oh I do too. Nats are the best team on paper IMHO. I just think the Braves outfield is crazy good.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Reading around the internet, the d'backs are getting destroyed for getting the package they did for Upton.
This is my take on it:

1) Arizona has made it known they want a SS in a trade for Upton.
2) Braves become rumored suitored, as Arizona is interested in SS Simmons.
3) Arizona proceeds to trade their top prospect, Bauer, for a SS with good potential, but nothing special.
4) Arizona now trades Upton to Atlanta, not getting Simmons.
5) End up losing their best prospect (Bauer), best player (Upton), and do not get the clearly superior SS in Simmons.

Moreover, they acquire Prado who has less than 2 years of team-control, and do not get Atlanta's best pitching prospect who is also one of the top prospects in baseball with #1 potential.

This is the definition of going full retard.

Epictetus is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
  #43
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,617
vCash: 995
Season Pass available on Jan 30th for those of you who got it last year (if you didn't get the e-mail).

theaub is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
  #44
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Season Pass available on Jan 30th for those of you who got it last year (if you didn't get the e-mail).
Sucks that the only people who can get it are ones who had it last year.

Everlong is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
  #45
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,713
vCash: 350
In Towers' defense, he is optimistic in signing Prado to an extension.

The Young and Bauer trades were pretty stupid though.

Eyedea is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
  #46
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Considering that the Jays do not play the Nationals once this year, I would consider this largely irrelevant.



Braves did well to get Upton; I will give them that. However, I just don't think they are as good of a team as they get credited for. And for whatever reason, they cannot win in the playoffs. I bet against them everytime and come away with a lot of money.



Fair enough.



This is my take on it:

1) Arizona has made it known they want a SS in a trade for Upton.
2) Braves become rumored suitored, as Arizona is interested in SS Simmons.
3) Arizona proceeds to trade their top prospect, Bauer, for a SS with good potential, but nothing special.
4) Arizona now trades Upton to Atlanta, not getting Simmons.
5) End up losing their best prospect (Bauer), best player (Upton), and do not get the clearly superior SS in Simmons.

Moreover, they acquire Prado who has less than 2 years of team-control, and do not get Atlanta's best pitching prospect who is also one of the top prospects in baseball with #1 potential.

This is the definition of going full retard.
Teheran? I disagree with that statement. Teheran was awful last season and took huge step backs. Not a guy I'd say has #1 potential or one of the top prospects in baseball. On baseball america podcast, they weren't even sure if they would take Teheran over Delgado and said Braves probably wanted to trade Teheran over Delgado.

The deal sucks for DBacks is because they traded a potential superstar for little. They got Prado back who is awesome but is a FA next season and it will take some good money to sign him (shouldn't the whole point of trading a potential superstar is to get great cheap talent that will be under control for many years to come?). They got Delgado which is good but he's not going to be a great pitcher -- could be good or above average but likely not much more than that. Rest of the package is just meh.

Traded away Bauer and Justin Upton and got got very little back. They wanted a great SS and didn't get anyone like that despite trading both. Also traded Chris Young for Bell and a good chunk of his salary (getting nothing back would have been better). Signed and overpaid for Cody Ross for no reason. Horrible off-season for the DBacks.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
  #47
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,713
vCash: 350
Delgado just seems like a bullpen arm now, same for Vizcaino. At least Teheran has a fighting chance at becoming a top of the rotation starter.

I think J.R Graham is going to be better than all of them.

Eyedea is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
  #48
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Wow Marcum gets base salary of 4M and incentives can get it up to maximum of 6M.

I can't believe no team was willing to pay more than that for him. It helps sometimes to wait to the end of off-season and get some solid bargains like this one.

It also makes me laugh at how much Royals are paying for Santana and Guthrie.
I wonder if his reputation is actually worse then is rumoured. Because his numbers aren't bad at all.

dredeye is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
  #49
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I wonder if his reputation is actually worse then is rumoured. Because his numbers aren't bad at all.
I haven't heard anything about his reputation... unless its with Toronto. Seems like it might be just rumors or just an incident that happened long time ago. Looks like it was the elbow injury stuff that really hurt him... but still, he is a good gamble to take despite the injury issues.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
  #50
MrLegend28
Registered User
 
MrLegend28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,402
vCash: 500
anyone else notice this?


MrLegend28 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.