Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
I made my first visit to the new Windsor arena for last night's Whalers game. I am not saying anything Spits fans don't already know, but what a nice facility!

Nick Malysa's return was a pleasant surprise, and just in time for this three games in three nights stretch. The game itself looked almost like a carbon copy of Monday's win over Erie. The Spits looked liked they quit in the 2nd period, and their goaltending was brutal. It was a very dominant win for Plymouth.

Trocheck continues to impress me. Along with all the obvious offensive skills he possesses, he also does the little things, like keeping the puck in the offensive zone, back checking on defense, and giving 100% all the time. You can easily see why he was Saginaw's captain.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Trocheck continues to impress me. Along with all the obvious offensive skills he possesses, he also does the little things, like keeping the puck in the offensive zone, back checking on defense, and giving 100% all the time. You can easily see why he was Saginaw's captain.
Quite simply we traded you the best two-way forward in the league (yeah I said it!). Don't think I'll ever be alright with thinking of Trocheck as a Whaler. It's like when Favre played for the Vikings. It just ain't right.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:10 AM
gowhalers

Managed to come out with a point last night. Looked a little rough in the first with a few mistakes but picked up momentum as the game progressed and I thought controlled most of the play. Got lucky in the 3rd when they missed some wide open nets. The boys had to be getting tired - 5th game in 7 days with another one tonight. Hopefully they get the win at home.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Canuck71

Where has Curtis Crombeen been? I noticed he hasn't played since late October, any info?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Where has Curtis Crombeen been? I noticed he hasn't played since late October, any info?
He has been seen around Compuware with his hand wrapped since the autumn.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:42 PM
gowhalers

Crombeen has a groin injury. Tear of some kind. Was supposed to be skating this past week but not sure if he did or not.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
Crombeen has a groin injury. Tear of some kind. Was supposed to be skating this past week but not sure if he did or not.
Thanks for the info. The wrapped hand we saw when he was signing autographs last fall must have been a secondary injury. It's always tough to piece these things together -- we do not even get the NHL reports of "upper body injury" or "lower body injury".

Plymouth played another solid game last night. Trocheck had a highlight reel goal in the first period, and the team played strong for all three periods, despite this being their 3rd game in three nights.

Ryan Hartman was a scratch last night. Not sure what that was about. In Anaheim, Rakell only got about 8 minutes of ice time last night after being a healthy scratch in the previous game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent back after his five game trial is over.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Congrats to Vince Trocheck on being named OHL Player of the Week!

Old
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Rally Donkey

London's coming off a real slide in January. After winning all of their games in December, they dropped 5 out 10 in January (Sarnia, Saginaw, Soo, Windsor and Belleville). The Whalers kickoff February in 4th place in the OHL and 2nd in the Western Conference (behind London). How much will the race tighten up? Is London's best hockey behind them? I think the Whalers will catch Belleville and Barrie by the end of February. When is Rakell coming back?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Anaheim has still not decided whether they are keeping Rakell or sending him back. They need to make up their mind this weekend, unless they extend the deadline by making him a healthy scratch for their upcoming games.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Cfriss216

That soo team has given the whalers fits all year. Lots of pp's, whalers just couldn't capitalize in the 3rd. I thought that was a pretty soft goalie interference call against Plymouth. Nedeljkovic played an alright game. He had a nice penalty kill early in the 3rd to keep the Whalers in it. However, he did give up a soft goal to put the Hounds ahead later on in the 3rd. Noeson has to get his scoring touch back, I miss seeing him score goals in bunches. Got the Petes in tonight, I expect two points to keep us in first place in the West division. We'll see.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:45 PM
CBJWhaler

Need to get back on the winning track tonight against the Petes. The Petes are coming into tonight with 2 wins in a row over Windser and Saginaw. But we do get Wilson back in the line-up tonight so that should help.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:34 PM
gowhalers

Nice to see the whole team on the ice for a change tonight. Complete domination and a ton of shots. If not for the great play from their goalie, score would have been much higher. Noesen just can't break out of his scoring drought. His linemates were trying to set him up all game with no luck. Hopefully he will start scoring in bunches soon. I have said it before...I think they play good hockey when Ned is in net. Its like they are not as worried and can just focus on doing their own thing without having to worry about easy shots going in.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Ned may be in net for awhile, as Mahalak was a scratch from last night's game after getting bowled over by the Soo on Friday and sitting out the 3rd period of that game. It looked like Matt got his bell rung.

The Soo do have our number, but the officiating sure helped the Greyhounds on Friday. Not only was that a weak call on the overturned goal, but the calls were inconsistent on the checking to the head penalties -- we get a 5 minute major, they get a two minute roughing call on a similar play. The officials also screwed up the face off location after the Soo double minor with 24 seconds remaining -- it should have been in the Soo zone instead of outside the blue line.

Plymouth completely overmatched Peterborough last night. I agree with gowhalers that they seem to play better with Ned in net, and he is a much more talented goalie -- he just needs experience.

I see that Rakell did not play yesterday for Anaheim. This could delay the Ducks decision on whether to keep him, as he doesn't burn a year of his ELC until he plays one more game.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
pipertim

.[/QUOTE]:

Plymouth completely overmatched Peterborough last night.

.[/QUOTE]

It was a mismatch for the first half of the game and then Plymouth laid back a little allowing the Petes to gain momentum. For the 2nd half of the game the Petes were even with Plymouth imo and maybe better. Context helps: the Petes were missing two of their best defense and were coming off playing 3 games in 3 nights all on the road. Not sure why the Petes played their 2nd best goalie.....props to Plymouth though -they do look good and will go far this year.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipertim View Post
:

Plymouth completely overmatched Peterborough last night.

.[/QUOTE]

It was a mismatch for the first half of the game and then Plymouth laid back a little allowing the Petes to gain momentum. For the 2nd half of the game the Petes were even with Plymouth imo and maybe better. Context helps: the Petes were missing two of their best defense and were coming off playing 3 games in 3 nights all on the road. Not sure why the Petes played their 2nd best goalie.....props to Plymouth though -they do look good and will go far this year.[/QUOTE]

They do look good this year despite underachieving a little this season. This team can play with anybody across the CHL and I would love nothing more than to see them represent the OHL in Saskatoon in May. Going to be interesting to see who matches up in the first round come march.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Hockeygeek22

Is Rakell coming back from Anaheim you think?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygeek22 View Post
Is Rakell coming back from Anaheim you think?
Rakell has still played in only four games, as he has been a healthy scratch for several games. He can play in five games without burning a year on his entry level contract.

Anaheim seems to be trying to hang onto him as long as possible without making a season long commitment in order to get a look at him in practice and let him get a taste of NHL life. I think it's still 50/50 whether Rakell gets returned to Plymouth.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:21 AM
gowhalers

tough loss against a good team. Highlights tell the story - defense. I don't like to pick on one player but why does Levi keep getting put on the ice? Goals #1, 3 and 5by Barrie. Number #4 a bad bounce but need i say more?? Tonights game is big. Hopefully they can stay out of the box and play much better defenseively. They need the win.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:41 AM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
tough loss against a good team. Highlights tell the story - defense. I don't like to pick on one player but why does Levi keep getting put on the ice? Goals #1, 3 and 5by Barrie. Number #4 a bad bounce but need i say more?? Tonights game is big. Hopefully they can stay out of the box and play much better defenseively. They need the win.
Tought loss last night did not play with the same intensity as we did in the 1st period. I am not sure what is going on with Levi this year? The kid in years prior played well enough that you didn't mind him on the ice, now I cringe everytime he is on it. I would like to see some lines change ups tonight, I think we should put Wilson on the line with Trocheck, and Hartman, then put the line of Lorentz-Uvaria-Mistele back together. (they played very well for us when paired together)

Old
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Panthers fan here - Can you guys give some more impressions on Trocheck? What would you expect from him when he moves up (AHL/NHL)?

-ghoste

Old
02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Panthers fan here - Can you guys give some more impressions on Trocheck? What would you expect from him when he moves up (AHL/NHL)?
My impression of Trocheck is that you are getting a very good player. He can adapt very well to whatever type of game he needs when the situation calls for. Very smart player see the ice very well has a physical side to him when needed and can score when he as the puck. I think this kid has a bright future ahead of him; only down fall is that we only had him for half a year.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
My impression of Trocheck is that you are getting a very good player. He can adapt very well to whatever type of game he needs when the situation calls for. Very smart player see the ice very well has a physical side to him when needed and can score when he as the puck. I think this kid has a bright future ahead of him; only down fall is that we only had him for half a year.
I agree. Trocheck has everything you look for in a hockey player -- vision, skating, puck handling, scoring ability, intelligence and effort. He'll go into the corners, is a very good faceoff man, plays on the penalty kill, and plays the point on the power play. The only knock is he is a little small (the program lists him as 6', but I don't believe it). He is going to do very well in the AHL next season, and should eventually make it to the NHL and be a solid pro.

After last night's fiasco, the Whalers started out slow tonight but finished strong. Wilson and Hartman both had good nights. Hopefully Noesen is okay -- he returned for one shift late in the 2nd period after hurting his knee, but did not play in the 3rd.

With the Soo losing to Peterburough, we sneak back into first place.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. The problem is still the same as it's been all season - goaltending. The strategy MV went with to address the deficiency in net is to generate more and better offense (hence the additions of Trochek and Lorentz) and not a change in defense. If defense were the problem, Levi would have been gone at the trade deadline.

The way I saw last Friday's game, I agree it was a stinker for Levi, but I would wouldn't go so far as to question his overall impact in the season or his propsects for the rest of it. Goal 1 looked to me like he was out of position, I'll give you that one.
Goal 2 Malysa and Mahalak were outmuscled by Athanasiou. Goal 3 Noesen should have had the trailing Zach Hall or AT LEAST broken up the pass behind Levi's back. Levi played that one correctly imho, and Mahalak missed again. Goal 4 was a crappy bounce into Levi's pads, and he just couldn't reel it in - $#!t happens, right? Goal 5 was an odd-man empty netter which Noesen, Curcurto, and Levi all fumbled, and Levi wasn't on the ice for Goal 6. In a 6-3 loss, he was minus 1.

In the end Levi is on the team and on the ice so much because he plays the role he has been assigned very well - shut down/pk/keeping the puck inside our attacking zone and breaking out. Friday night's game was an anomaly as far as the pk goes for Levi. If you dont' believe me, look at the stats.

He leads all defensemen in plus minus (+17) and is third overall on the team in that category behind only Trochek and Wilson. For those unable to assess a player based on the role he is assigned, or those who aren't familiar with defensive responsibilities other than scoring and assisting, Curcurutto and Carrick's 93 combined points are enough to put them on the ice every shift and sit everyone else for the rest of the season. Even the best players have bad games and every player (including forwards) has defensive responsibilities. If you don't like to pick on one player, then spread the love around. You think Noesen played great defensively? Wilson, Mistele, and Curcuruto were all minus 2. I'm not ragging on those guys - my point is, it's a team sport and everyone is entitled to a bad game, but a bad game for Levi is rare and he holds up his end pretty good in my opinion.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. The problem is still the same as it's been all season - goaltending. The strategy MV went with to address the deficiency in net is to generate more and better offense (hence the additions of Trochek and Lorentz) and not a change in defense. If defense were the problem, Levi would have been gone at the trade deadline.
Personally, I think the main reason Levi wasn't the OA traded at the deadline was because the Mitch Jones injury left the team thin at defense. The team has only 6 healthy defensemen. The biggest surprise at the deadline was dealing Karlsson for Uvira. While Karlsson was a big disappointment, he was depth for the blue line.

Closed Thread