Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Australian Open

Old
01-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
I was especially impressed by Novak's serving performance tonight. No doubles, six aces, and he hit the wide serves extremely well. In the end, only seven points lost in 11 service games. It will be different either way in the final, as not only do Murray and Federer obviously have more power than Ferrer, but their playing styles can cause Djokovic more problems. It should still be his match to lose, though.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Yeah I don't see Nole losing this, he's simply too good, although if there's anyone that could beat him right now it's def. either Andy or Roger

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
So excited to see the match after I get home.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
kihei

vCash: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
So excited to see the match after I get home.
You are going to love it. It takes Nole a couple of games to warm up, and then, wow....

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Nole's going to beat whoever in the final. Likely be Federer.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

It's apparently a fairly windy night. Should help Murray if anything.

Shocking that some commentators can't use their eyes and pretend this court is "fairly quick." As usual for Fed-Murray matches, the baseline rallies are developing around the ad-court exchanges, with Murray trying to dictate with his crosscourt backhand and Fed trying to hit the inside-out forehand (of which he did a quite poor job against Tsonga). A lot of very long rallies early on; neither is hitting very deeply. Murray finally breaks on his fourth or fifth chance in Fed's second service game. When the ball has come to his forehand, Murray has hit winners or taken quick control of the point. Not looking promising right now.

Murray gets up 40-0 the next game only to give up four straight points... but ultimately holds 3-1. Federer holds at love and at least seems to be settling into the match now.

Murray is getting a lot more first serves in right now, and getting many more easy points behind his serve. In fact, I don't think Fed has even one.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 01-25-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 03:00 AM
kihei

Attack the backhand. Murray gets the early break, 2-1....aggressive opening set from Andy, with way more winners, errors and break points than Roger. Roger seems content to let Murray dictate control of the play for the most part, and has had good luck escaping tight spots usually. Don't think Federer can win this way, though. His return game isn't helping, as Roger starts out on the defensive in so many points.

Roger looks like he is warming to the task in this set, 2-1, on serve...interesting how both these guys can go off the boil and still find a way to win points...no breaks at 4-3 as Roger's serve continues to keep him in the match....if Roger's return game is technically weak, Andy's return game is just really sloppy this set, two different causes with the same effect--no service breaks, 5-5...a very even set goes to a tie breaker...Andy makes a key mistake, misplaying a put away at the net that Roger hits a terrific winner off of, and Roger immediately makes him pay for it taking the set on the next point, winning a loosely played tie breaker. All the themes of the set were evident--sloppy play from Andy, clutch serving and weak returning from Roger, but Federer eked out a set that he needed way more than Andy did....and a final Federer error finally gives the match to Murray.

Watchable match (only because it is close), not a great match at this point, with the two splitting evenly 54 unforced errors...with the return games here, I wouldn't be surprised to see another tie breaker in the match, 3-2 on serve...Well, maybe not this set after all, as Murray parlays a brilliant cross court service return, a forced error and two unforced errors from Roger to get the break, 4-2. quickly 5-2..and Murray takes the set, 6-3. Andy, despite still botching the odd point, looked the sharper player that set. Hard to imagine Roger pulling this out, especially as he has seldom threatened on Andy's serve with only one break point opportunity in the match so far.

Good graphic that showed how much less effective Roger has been from the baseline in this match than in other matches in the tournament, 53% winners in earlier matches, 17% today. Might have been just for the last set, though, as the numbers are bad, but I don't think they are that atrocious overall....Murray looks low energy at the start...and for the first time since very early in the opening set, he faces a break point, in fact, three of them, and coughs up his serve, 4-1...Andy finally looks like Andy on return of serve and yanks back the break, though Roger made it a little easy for him with some weak points. Andy didn't look like the same player that just lost the break....Roger, sensing a lack of concentration on Andy's part, puts the pressure on but Andy does just enough to hold and we are back even at 4-4.....5-5 with the tie breaker looming...but Federer stumbles and Andy serves for the set....incredible--Roger takes command and now we do have the tie breaker....and Roger, looking very much like Roger, takes it easily and we go to a fifth set. Talk about waking up just in the nick of time.

Well, come on. who didn't want this match to go to a fifth? I still like Andy's chances here...and Murray gets the early break, 2-0...strong, confident hold for 3-0...another solid service game for 4-1...a game away now....and Murray breaks a spent Roger for the match in a fifth set that was an anti-climax. Not always pretty, but Andy got the job done. Hard to see him beating Nole unless he is way more consistent in the final.

Last edited by kihei: 01-25-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Three very short second serve returns from Fed that tiebreak were offset by a couple of horrendous forehand errors from Murray. What a backhand passing shot from Roger to get the minibreak and set point on his own serve, and he gets it 7-5.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:58 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Murray goes from apparently laboring physically to a service break in about five minutes... nothing new from him. Federer was arguing with the umpire too much between points and even between serves that game. Ultimately makes a rash decision to go for a backhand winner at 15-40. Murray holds with little fuss the next game for 5-2. Fed's first serve percentage has again dropped down to about where it was the first set.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Alklha

5th set. Murray has been easily the dominant player and hasn't taken any sort of advantage of it.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Wow. What a ridiculously back-and-forth set. Federer irate with himself the whole time, pulls it together in brilliant fashion with Murray serving for the match, and runs away with the tiebreak.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:47 AM
GQS

vCash: 500
Federer...ran out of gas at the end.

Only good thing about Roger losing in the semis is that we won't have to watch him get wreaked by Novak if he had beaten Murray. Andy's going to make the finals a much better match than Roger can at this point.

GQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:48 AM
kihei

Sort of a Jeykll-Hyde night from Andy. He should have won it in three, then four, and finally got the job done in five.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:51 AM
MsWoof

Ugh. Well on the plus side I'll just delete this from my PVR and not set my alarm for 3:30 Sunday morning. Can't imagine Andy will win this thing but stranger things have happened.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Too much to say about this match. Very exciting but poor quality for huge stretches. Except for the second half of the second set, Murray was the better player. Well-deserved in the end.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

I don't think Nadal will win Roland Garros this year, so Nole has a good chance of winning all 4 grand slams in my opinion

Old
01-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Nadal is still the prohibitive favorite for Roland Garros. This Murray can definitely beat Djokovic at Wimbledon - he'd even be the favorite I think - as can Federer. It's way too early to think about it though.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:04 AM
kihei

In addition to dominating from the baseline, Andy had more aces, fewer double faults, a higher % of first serves in, a higher % of both first and second serves won, a higher % of both net points and break points won, won 20 more receiving points than Roger, had fewer errors and 21 more winners than Roger, and won more points overall, 177-151. And he wins in five.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Tuggy

Won't be too long before Murray is the world #2.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I'm not sure. Federer has a fair amount of points to defend between now and Wimbledon, but it's also a time of year where he typically outperforms Murray. It will probably happen sometime this summer, but there's no guarantee that Murray will hold onto it later in the year when he has a ton of points to defend.

Nadal is also a factor. At this point he's more resting than recovering. It's possible that he'll nearly sweep the clay season again and make a push for #2 later.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
I'm not sure. Federer has a fair amount of points to defend between now and Wimbledon, but it's also a time of year where he typically outperforms Murray. It will probably happen sometime this summer, but there's no guarantee that Murray will hold onto it later in the year when he has a ton of points to defend.
I look at this season as Murray's (continuing?) breakout. He got a big gorilla off his back last year and I think he surpasses Federer this season.

Quote:
Nadal is also a factor. At this point he's more resting than recovering. It's possible that he'll nearly sweep the clay season again and make a push for #2 later.
I'm skeptical of Nadal being able to maintain his health enough to make such a run at #2. Not completely discounting it though.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:45 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I like his chances, too. Almost certainly by the end of the year, if not sooner.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Nadal is still the prohibitive favorite for Roland Garros. This Murray can definitely beat Djokovic at Wimbledon - he'd even be the favorite I think - as can Federer. It's way too early to think about it though.
While I agree that it's still too early and Murray is basically one of perhaps 2 guys playing right now that can beat Nole, Djoker just seems too good right now, he thrives in being down 1 or 2 sets etc and Murray's not as tough mentally, even though he's def. improved and we shall see which Murray comes out in the final, I actually want him to win. You're also right about Federer and Murray being favorites in Wilbendon, but I think that just has more to do with history from Federer and Murray being British...as for Roland Garros at this point we'll just have to wait and see how Nadal comes back, but I'm doubtful how he comes back, a knee injury can be very difficult to return from and play as you did before and like Federer Nadal's favoriteness in RG is historic because presently Nole should be favorite for everything

Old
01-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Hossa

That SF was certainly entertaining, even if the quality of play was all over the place. There was definitely no reason for Murray not to win - he was better from the baseline and more dominant (at times) on serve, although he got away with floating in his second serve too often.

Nonetheless, despite the ups and downs, I'm still impressed by the evolution of Murray's game (and more enjoyable to watch as well). He is significantly more aggressive from the baseline, and is not afraid to sacrifice some of the consistency in order to push the pace. I think that's part of why Federer seemed to struggle to be more aggressive, particularly on those soft second serves, because he was not usually able to dictate play from the baseline.

Hard to imagine him beating Djokovic in the final though, unless Djokovic himself has a really off night for some reason.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Watching a bit of the Raonic/Fed match now. What I wish Raonic would work on most is his backhand. So many players with 2 handed backhands have them as their dominant groundie. With Milos, a lot of times he lifts the upper part of his body when he hits it instead of driving through.
Completely agree on Milos' backhand, that stroke is definitely more of a push than a drive. Tsonga's is the same, and it's taken him a lot of time and effort to basically strengthen his two-hander to the point where he push it with some degree of pace and control. It's even more important for Milos though because he doesn't have Tsonga's forehand, let alone his general quickness and athleticism, which makes running around his back-hand an even bigger problem.

I'm not that optimistic that Raonic's backhand will ever improve though. At this point, he probably can't do much to change the motion, and by virtue of going with two-hands, you already give up some of the variety and reach of a one-hander. Roddick is another guy who worked very hard over his career to basically strengthen the push on his backhand even if it would never be a weapon.

Nonetheless, not a bad tournament for Raonic. Even if he is a relatively bland and limited player, relative to other players near the top of the tour, it was a first step towards consolidating his place within the top 15. That he reached the fourth round despite some inconsistent play and a nagging injury is in itself a positive sign.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote