HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "puck-moving defense" theory...

Old
01-25-2013, 01:01 AM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
The "puck-moving defense" theory...

One of the biggest problems this team has had is the incorrect theory that your defense should be highly mobile, and that being able to exit the zone fast and efficiently means your backline should be full of "mobile puck movers"

In my opinion, it's one of the biggest flaws the team has. Our defense is pillowy soft and relies on positioning and plays with no edge.

Other teams forwards aren't punished in our zone, they get free reign around our net, and never pay a price for driving to the front.

It's important to have guys back there to jumpstart the rush and make smart puck decisions...but there's far too many of that type of player back there. And I also believe it's why Myers is trying to be something he's not, and his head isn't in the right place.

Leopold, Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Myers are interchangable. They're all the same type of player, and they all eat a ton of minutes back there.

For this team to truly turn the corner, the organization needs to drop this "puck moving" defense philosophy and add some grit back there as well. Regehr isn't getting any younger, and there's not much sandpaper on the back end in the pipeline. In fact, aside from McNabb - out best two prospects on D are more of the same.

This idea worked post-lockout, but it hasn't worked in the past few years as the game has changed again...time for R&R to catch up to this and realize it's the biggest roster flaw there is.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Can it be coached into any of our players other than Myers?

Obviously Weber/Pardy/Regehr/McNabb fit the bill already.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Two separate issues you've merged into one, but I agree with both of them.

A) you don't need to be smooth skating and speedy quick and agile/mobile to know how to move the puck, kickstart the breakout with a good tape to tape pass to the winger or curling center...Jeff Beukeboom sticks out in my mind as a guy who wasn't fleet of foot but had a great first pass

and

B ) we need to get tougher back there....I'd start by putting Weber in for Myers for two games to zap him the **** back with us

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I just cant see it changing while Ruff is the coach. His systems call for mobile D-men that are able to join the rush, not to mention he doesn't promote hitting. Remember when he said "If I thought hitting would lead to us winning then I would have them hit more." (paraphrasing)

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:09 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I'm on board the play Weber and sit Myers boat.

Or sit Scott, dress Weber with 7 dmen. Myers with limited ice time on the PP and ES.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

i've totally missed why mcnabb isn't on the roster right now. i thought he played well last season and he would add a little oomph to the d. is he sucking in rochester or is it a waiver issue with the other d-men?

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
i've totally missed why mcnabb isn't on the roster right now. i thought he played well last season and he would add a little oomph to the d. is he sucking in rochester or is it a waiver issue with the other d-men?
Suckage in Rochester

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
DH92

puck movers are fine, aslong as they are good ones. I wouldn't mind the Sabres cutting ties with their UFA's this offseason and signing Tallinder to a cheaper contract(UFA I believe).

DH92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Fun fact: You can be a decent puck movie and not also be pillowy soft.

For as much heat as he's getting, Myers is the only guy I see stand forwards up at the wall and take the body on on the rush. I know it's not the only way to play and some guys are effective doing it another way ('Hoff and Sulzer, our best pairing), but it doesn't happen enough for my liking.

I'm sure Regehr would do it more if he could get there.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Fun fact: You can be a decent puck movie and not also be pillowy soft.
Totally...but it's not the type of player they like back there. They love these Leopold, Sekera, Pysyk types.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Totally...but it's not the type of player they like back there. They love these Leopold, Sekera, Pysyk types.
I think they just want a lineup full of Henrik Tallinders. Which to be fair, would be an improvement.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote