HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Rangers MUST sign Arnott

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You're criticizing Boyle's skating ability, yet you propose we replace him with Arnott. That's priceless. Thanks for the laugh.

Most teams in the league would have issues if their 1C or 2C got injured.

Compare Boyle's productivity over the last 3 season's to the rest of the 3C's around the league. When you see it, you'll **** bricks.

Maybe Petr Nedved can come to the rescue?
I actually stated Arnott was done but I would not expect you to actually read my posts before you commented on them.

Most teams who are somewhat consensually considered contenders have more depth at the center position then the Rangers. It's just the way it is.

Boyle, once again your reading comprehension seems off, I have already stated that behind the Rangers top 6, Boyle is an adequate center, my concern is if either Stepan or Richards becomes injured making Boyle a de-facto top two center. If you want to contend he is a good skater or does not have hands of stone, or that his production reflects that of a player who can move up the line-up into a scoring role, that is is a fine opinion.

Last edited by Off Sides: 01-24-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
When you're tight against the cap, you have to make sacrifices in certain areas. Because we have nearly half of our cap tied up in 4 players, we have to have some less than ideal players in the lineup. That's just how hockey works in the cap era. You can't have stellar depth at every position. It just doesn't work like that.

If someone comes along that the Rangers feel is a better option, and they can fit him under the cap, then they'll try to acquire him.

Some top contenders have a great 3rd line center that can be a top-six center if need be, but they lack depth in other areas. Pittsburgh has great strength down the wings, but if James Neal goes down, their next best winger is Chris Kunitz. Not exactly "ideal" by any means.
I agree with your sentiment concerning other teams depth at certain positions, and I agree cap space is a concern for this summer for the Rangers with their RFAs.

On the first point I think center depth is probably more important than wing depth.

On the second point, they would be looking for pure rentals or one year deals which would fit this year and still leave them with some space for minor moves.

Seem to me the market for rentals will just get more expensive, but on the other hand teams do not have any reason to give up players until they know where in the standings they will fall.

My concern is literally two places for the Rangers, center depth and possible 3rd pair D albeit Eminger looked okay last night there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I'd look more to a guy like Brule or Langkow than Arnott if I wanted to add depth
I'm speculating of course, but I think Langkow wants a top 6 role or retirement. I seem to remember something about him and Doan talking about how hard it was for Langkow to be dropped to the Coyotes 3rd line.

Brule was a interesting prospect but things seemed to go wrong and not just with one team. If he was willing to sign a very cheap UFA contract I think he may be worth investigating.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
I actually stated Arnott was done but I would not expect you to actually read my posts before you commented on them.

Most teams who are somewhat consensually considered contenders have more depth at the center position then the Rangers. It's just the way it is.

Boyle, once again your reading comprehension seems off, I have already stated that behind the Rangers top 6, Boyle is an adequate center, my concern is if either Stepan or Richards becomes injured making Boyle a de-facto top two center. If you want to contend he is a good skater or does not have hands of stone, that is is a fine opinion.
Mixed you up with the OP. My bad. Still, the hate Boyle gets is sickening. And like Trx mentioned, when you have so much money tied up into your elite players, it means a little bit of sacrifice throughout the line-up.

We're sacrificing some scoring depth throughout the line-up. Not at 3C though. Boyle's effectiveness in the offensive zone goes overlooked, because there's a jared staal in the league who was a 3C and screwed some people's perception and expectations of what a third-line center's average point-total should be.

You want a more offensive third-line center? Ok. You're probably not getting someone as good defensively as Boyle. With guys like Richards, Nash, and Gaborik, I think we can use all the defensive help we can get.

Boyle's scored 32 goals over the last two season's, in case you've forgotten. Not exactly terrible production for a 3C.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Panic!

01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
cwgatti

Quote:
Mixed you up with the OP. My bad. Still, the hate Boyle gets is sickening. And like Trx mentioned, when you have so much money tied up into your elite players, it means a little bit of sacrifice throughout the line-up.

We're sacrificing some scoring depth throughout the line-up. Not at 3C though. Boyle's effectiveness in the offensive zone goes overlooked, because there's a jared staal in the league who was a 3C and screwed some people's perception and expectations of what a third-line center's average point-total should be.

You want a more offensive third-line center? Ok. You're probably not getting someone as good defensively as Boyle. With guys like Richards, Nash, and Gaborik, I think we can use all the defensive help we can get.

Boyle's scored 32 goals over the last two season's, in case you've forgotten. Not exactly terrible production for a 3C.
Boyle can kill penalties (clap...clap...clap...) he can also take horrendous penalties, not see the ice, or (outside of a six week period two years ago) not score. Boyle is what he is: 4th line center who is good at PK. I am only suggesting Arnott because he has the experience that this team poised for a cup run needs. With less responsibility Boyle will be fine. The NYR need an experienced C.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Not making excuses for Kreider as he does have to get his crap together. But part of the problem the first 2 games was Torts trying to fit a square peg (Gaborik) in a round hole (asking him to play LW)

This was done in an effort to try to force chemistry between Nash and Richards which is a mistake. Chemistry is not forced. It's there or it's not.

Nash has played LW more extensively than Gaborik has throughout their careers, if anything Gaborik should have stayed at Richards RW and Nash on Stepan's LW and if you wanted to change things up at a later date, you do that.

It's no coincidence that Gabby got back on the score board when put back on the RW last night.

Arnott is not the answer.

Playing Kreider with a plugger like Boyle is NEVER going to help the kid develope offensively. Still and all, the kid needs to be better in his own zone.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Panic!
Every thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgatti View Post
Boyle can kill penalties (clap...clap...clap...) he can also take horrendous penalties, not see the ice, or (outside of a six week period two years ago) not score. Boyle is what he is: 4th line center who is good at PK. I am only suggesting Arnott because he has the experience that this team poised for a cup run needs. With less responsibility Boyle will be fine. The NYR need an experienced C.
So he's prone to taking penalties? How many minors does the average 3C take in a single season? And how does Boyle stack up in comparison?

32 Goals over the last 2 season's. What does the average 3C score?

Boyle has 271 games of NHL experience. But in the delusional world you live in, he's not experienced enough.

Arnott's legs are mush. You recommended him because you live in the past and refuse to acknowledge who's still got it, and who doesn't. He's not that 70p forward any more. Or, that 50 point player. He can barely skate.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Oshie97

Arnott still has a great shot but you definitly need some solid two way forwards paired with him as he is slow as molasses.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
cwgatti

One good thing about Boyle is that his skin is as thick as his head. Torts rips him apart and he still screws up.

I shouldn't make this sound like I don't like Boyle. He is what he is. I am speaking to the forward depth that the NYR lost in the Nash trade.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not making excuses for Kreider as he does have to get his crap together. But part of the problem the first 2 games was Torts trying to fit a square peg (Gaborik) in a round hole (asking him to play LW)

This was done in an effort to try to force chemistry between Nash and Richards which is a mistake. Chemistry is not forced. It's there or it's not.

Nash has played LW more extensively than Gaborik has throughout their careers, if anything Gaborik should have stayed at Richards RW and Nash on Stepan's LW and if you wanted to change things up at a later date, you do that.

It's no coincidence that Gabby got back on the score board when put back on the RW last night.

Arnott is not the answer.

Playing Kreider with a plugger like Boyle is NEVER going to help the kid develope offensively. Still and all, the kid needs to be better in his own zone.
Boyle's just fine where he is and I doubt he would ascend to the 2nd line in case of an injury. There would be another fix for that, and it's not a guy like Arnott. I don't see why Tortorella doesn't pair Kreider with Stepan, since although they haven't played together for long, when they have, they've clicked. I understand he wants Hagelin on one of the top lines for his speed and puck-hounding, but Kreider playing with Stepan and Callahan should also help Kreider with his defensive responsibilities.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
cwgatti

...why sign Arnott when we can just roll two lines all year?

Rupp CAN NOT be allowed to play ANYWHERE but the 4th line. Halpern was a little better last night.

Trading for Rick Nash was the absolute right thing to do, but the only drawback to that trade has become obvious. We basically traded our 3rd line for Nash, and outside of Pyatt, we have done nothing to fix it.

Arnott. Today.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
...why sign Arnott when we can just roll two lines all year?

Rupp CAN NOT be allowed to play ANYWHERE but the 4th line. Halpern was a little better last night.

Trading for Rick Nash was the absolute right thing to do, but the only drawback to that trade has become obvious. We basically traded our 3rd line for Nash, and outside of Pyatt, we have done nothing to fix it.

Arnott. Today.
Again, if you really want Arnott, you clearly haven't watched him.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
cwgatti

It's not so much wanting Arnott over any other player. I am trying to fill a need for the NYR:
1. An NHL capable depth Center
2. Size and faceoff ability
3. Power play ability
Again, it is not like signing an idle Peter Forsberg. It is a depth signing who actually addresses some of the NYR needs. The NYR allowed themselves another contract by buying out Redden. If you have a better suggestion, let's hear it. I just can't watch a two line team go down the tubes without trying something.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
cwgatti

...and acquiring said player for NOTHING. Because the NYR can't afford to give away any assets.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
It's not so much wanting Arnott over any other player. I am trying to fill a need for the NYR:
1. An NHL capable depth Center
2. Size and faceoff ability
3. Power play ability
Again, it is not like signing an idle Peter Forsberg. It is a depth signing who actually addresses some of the NYR needs. The NYR allowed themselves another contract by buying out Redden. If you have a better suggestion, let's hear it. I just can't watch a two line team go down the tubes without trying something.
Not so much wanting Arnott, yet, you titled the thread NYR MUST SIGN ARNOTT!!111!11!11!. So which is it?

1. Boyle's an NHL capable center.
2. Boyle has size. He also had 236 registered Hits last season. Arnot had 24. Yup, 24.
3. Boyle won 629 faceoffs last season. Lost 526. - 51.8%. Arnott won 387. Lost 382. 50.3%.

You're too concerned with upgrading our 3C. You don't like Boyle. You hate the guy so much, you suggest we sign Jason Arnott. Jason's slower than Boyle. He's nowhere near as physical. He's not someone you want on the PK. He can barely forecheck. He's worse than Boyle on faceoffs.

Do a little homework before making a suggestion, because all you proved was you don't know jack **** about Jason Arnott. If you're going to whine about acquiring a certain player, spend the time necessary and figure out if that player is a good fit, or even an upgrade over what we currently have.

Arnott's neither.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
cwgatti

Quote:
Not so much wanting Arnott, yet, you titled the thread NYR MUST SIGN ARNOTT!!111!11!11!. So which is it?

1. Boyle's an NHL capable center.
2. Boyle has size. He also had 236 registered Hits last season. Arnot had 24. Yup, 24.
3. Boyle won 629 faceoffs last season. Lost 526. - 51.8%. Arnott won 387. Lost 382. 50.3%.

You're too concerned with upgrading our 3C. You don't like Boyle. You hate the guy so much, you suggest we sign Jason Arnott. Jason's slower than Boyle. He's nowhere near as physical. He's not someone you want on the PK. He can barely forecheck. He's worse than Boyle on faceoffs.

Do a little homework before making a suggestion, because all you proved was you don't know jack **** about Jason Arnott. If you're going to whine about acquiring a certain player, spend the time necessary and figure out if that player is a good fit, or even an upgrade over what we currently have.

Arnott's neither.
That's your take. I see it as a great move. How are you gonna acquire much needed DEPTH when you have nothing to give? You talk like a genius, but any one who watched the Philly game last night can plainly see that the NYR lack of depth is killing them. Boyle is not good. He is not the worst, but he isn't good. Decent PK guy. And this isn't about Boyle as much as it is about overall depth. Arnott is skating, he scored 17 goals last year. I don't care what he looked like doing it. Boyle had 26 points in 82 games last year. Arnott had 17 goals in 10 less games.

You had no better suggestions to address the depth issues. Just as I thought.

The NY Rangers MUST sign Jason Arnott to address the depth/center issue.

Thanks for playing.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
That's your take. I see it as a great move. How are you gonna acquire much needed DEPTH when you have nothing to give? You talk like a genius, but any one who watched the Philly game last night can plainly see that the NYR lack of depth is killing them. Boyle is not good. He is not the worst, but he isn't good. Decent PK guy. And this isn't about Boyle as much as it is about overall depth. Arnott is skating, he scored 17 goals last year. I don't care what he looked like doing it. Boyle had 26 points in 82 games last year. Arnott had 17 goals in 10 less games.

You had no better suggestions to address the depth issues. Just as I thought.

The NY Rangers MUST sign Jason Arnott to address the depth/center issue.

Thanks for playing.
Arnott scored 6 more goals than Boyle, doesn't hit, doesn't forecheck, doesn't kill penalties, and is still unsigned.

My suggestions to address our depth issues: Patience. Let the dust settle. It's still way too early in the season to start making moves.

And, just so you know, a warm-body doesn't mean our depth issues are addressed.

You think Arnott addresses our depth issues??? ?

Thanks for trying to play.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Jason Arnott would get eaten alive by Torts. Not overly aggressive, slow, old. He wouldn't be an upgrade.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
bernmeister

My vote on Arnott is also no, for reasons stated above.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Good call

Closed Thread