HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals vs Canadiens (Doom & Gloom #3 Edition).1.24.13.7:00 PM EST

Old
01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
wow Rouse, i am glad i missed that first period. I kind of hope fans at the game boo dumb decisions by the coach going forward.

interesting that Alzner suggested breaking up. I have been beating the drums for that for some time.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
SlappaDaBass

vCash: 500
The whole loser mentality and the reason why the entire team couldn't care less starts with the C being on Ovie. He has no ****ing fire in him at all, always puts the blame on others when he can't produce, and never gives a meaningful peptalk to the boys when needed the most. He is the worst captain in the league and should have never been given the C to begin with. Brooks should have that responsibility and I believe he could really spark a fire in the bellies of these ****ing panzies.

SlappaDaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
wow Rouse, i am glad i missed that first period. I kind of hope fans at the game boo dumb decisions by the coach going forward.

interesting that Alzner suggested breaking up. I think i have been beating the drums for that for some time.
To be honest I haven't gone through this thread so I kinda expected that someone had mentioned the whole 5-3 coaching debacle. I believe that really cost us the game but I'm not too mad at Oates. He's a rookie coach and is due for mistakes himself.

Karlzner was pretty awful in the 2nd period so its good that they experimented with different things.

Oates is looking for some kind of spark.

As far as the top 2 lines and top 2 D pairings the only one who I saw play well last night was Green.

Backstrom was a turnover machine. Ovechkin does not fly around the ice any longer and coasts far too much. Ribiero is ok. Wolski is better than I expected so far but he sucks. Johansson looks low on confidence.

For all the talk I though MP was one of our better forwards last night.

I hate seeing Hendricks being the punching bag for this suckitude. There is NO WAY he should be taking on Prust.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Too bad there's nothing catchy to rhyme with Barkov.
Dogging it for Barkov.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:11 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCap View Post
Hendricks not showing up? What?
Hendricks does seem willing to fight... so I don't quite get that either.

Haven't read to the end, but I was hoping that some of the more.... errrr,,,, let's say, informed, posters (Like Randy, TX, Halpysback, Capswhatever... the guy with the gold stars in his avatar, Bob, etc) would give us their .02.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Dogging it for Barkov.
Dick off for Barkov.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Dream Big

What is happening to the the Caps website. Monumental has taken over? I can't see the post game locker room interviews. Some sort of Webmail security login comes up?

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If you buy that's the sole reason they dumped Semin....I don't. It was well beyond style of play. They also didn't really dump him. They let him go for nothing. THey should have made a locker room statement/trade years ago. They would have gotten quality assets and changed the team dynamic quickly. Instead we have a core in a tailspin mentally.

Agree on the vision part, sadly Bruce helped start that by caving in style of play after the league cried that the Caps couldn't play D. Now we try to play D, still suck and can no longer score.

The Caps are really becoming a sad, overpriced product.
BTW- You're the other person whose view I wanted.

But on this post, I disagree with some of your takes, which I underlined.

The fact that we nearly made the semi's would seem defacto as to proof that, even a roster selected for a run & gun team.... can still effectively play a grinding game, with enough insistence by their coach: thus playing defence.

It's been but 3 games... we could switch back.

My.02? I suspect Alex and Nicky didn't like that style... and the dumping (and you're correct, it was a pure dump) of Semin angered them.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:24 AM
SlappaDaBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
What is happening to the the Caps website. Monumental has taken over? I can't see the post game locker room interviews. Some sort of Webmail security login comes up?
http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/vid...4-13/index.jsp

They might have put the incorrect link in the Caps website. This should work for you. I'm not sure why they're going through this new Monumental Network for the press conferences and locker rooms interviews.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
BTCG

Quote:
the only reason burke may be an answer because he may actually see faults in players, or the teams makeup, that warrants a roster trade. Or, has the balls to actually do it.

We can parade in rookie coaches, and let UFA's walk, but it does not change the dynamic of the team which at it core, is based in the players.

And this teams problem is not Ovi at RW. The problem is, is that he is our only scorer. Even when he was our only scorer in his early years, the team sucked. Its not all on him.

Coaching is in play now, as we all saw we can play Hunter D and compete. We do need to give it time but early returns shows players lost, not even a simple PK copied from last year. Oates needs to scale things back to a players comfort zone. Too short a camp may be in play for what he is trying to teach.

I think if we go 0-9, someone has to go. George, Adam, or one of the players you want to hold no matter the return.

Not getting this post Randy.

If AO is our only scorer, how is it he doesn't have a single one of our goals?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:31 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Not getting this post Randy.

If AO is our only scorer, how is it he doesn't have a single one of our goals?
Tiny sample size, new position, no chemistry on his line yet.

new coach, new system focusing on defense first, searching for a viable LW.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:34 AM
motorace

the whole ovi and captain thing is ridiculous. you guys realize it's just a letter stitched onto a jersey right?
hard working players lead the team, letter or not.

unfortunately, many caps players have locked out hockey this time

motorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:36 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

All is say for now is this. Better now than later in the season. Yeah, its only 48 games...but better this **** is going on now than towards the end.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
SlappaDaBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorace View Post
the whole ovi and captain thing is ridiculous. you guys realize it's just a letter stitched onto a jersey right?
hard working players lead the team, letter or not.

unfortunately, many caps players have locked out hockey this time
Exactly, there isn't one person on the team besides the Paralyzer who is working their hardest out there. The players have such a negative attitude, they always have, and it just compounds when they are down. They need someone who can rally them MID GAME so they will at least show some fight.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:50 AM
foundhockey
Pollyanna Sunshine

Quote:
Tiny sample size, new position, no chemistry on his line yet.

new coach, new system focusing on defense first, searching for a viable LW.
Yep, agreed. There seems to be a lack of coordination from all the players on all the lines but for a few bright moments. They'll start clicking in time--which we don't really have--and I hope TPTB give Oates and the players a chance. 3 games is not enough to a learn new system. Some guys will be faster than others, but most will keep falling back into old patterns.

Ugh, I just watched an interview with Brouwer where he basically called out the whole team but for a few guys. That's not going to get the job done. That's going to alienate the team. That stuff needs to be in private.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
foundhockey
Pollyanna Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappaDaBass View Post
The whole loser mentality and the reason why the entire team couldn't care less starts with the C being on Ovie. He has no ****ing fire in him at all, always puts the blame on others when he can't produce, and never gives a meaningful peptalk to the boys when needed the most. He is the worst captain in the league and should have never been given the C to begin with. Brooks should have that responsibility and I believe he could really spark a fire in the bellies of these ****ing panzies.
We don't know what Ovie's saying in the locker room. Players past and present haven't said negative things about him, so all this talk about him being a bad captain makes no sense. What is he supposed to do? Fight like Hendricks? He might get injured. That will help no one.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundhockey View Post
Yep, agreed. There seems to be a lack of coordination from all the players on all the lines but for a few bright moments. They'll start clicking in time--which we don't really have--and I hope TPTB give Oates and the players a chance. 3 games is not enough to a learn new system. Some guys will be faster than others, but most will keep falling back into old patterns.

Ugh, I just watched an interview with Brouwer where he basically called out the whole team but for a few guys. That's not going to get the job done. That's going to alienate the team. That stuff needs to be in private.
That's one thing Brouwer is good at - calling out players - during the season or during the lockout - it doesn't matter. Just hope he looks in the mirror because his little unpressured flip over the glass last night is what started to sink the ship.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:29 AM
BTCG

Hmmmmm......

As I'm the only only poster left from the original Cap's message board in the 90's, 'Talk Central', I guess it's up to me to carry the water, so to speak, for the others who have been driven away, just lost interest, or have passed on in some way. This is not a slight at the current membership, but had any of you been members of that board, or the ESPN board that followed it, I'm quite sure that most here would be thrilled to read and participate with those originals. It sure was eye-opening, and a ton of fun.

I gave it a lot of thought last night as to what's wrong. I read the views here. Talked it over with the Missus (another of the original members), and I believe the tack I'll lay out is correct.

Of all of the comments that have been made about the issues with the team, the media's (and Oate's) proclamation that players "are not showing up" is the smoking gun, here.

It's the clue, we've got to address.

And before the reader dismisses this, consider: these media folk have access that even the most dedicated fan does not. They're privy to the behind the scenes banter we just don't have.

This type of access too, comes with many stated and unstated rules... namely, you do not make definitive statements about player effort... with the exception being in very rare cases. And even then, many reporters/commentators will still refrain from these type of offerings.

And yet, a mere 3 games in, I've heard several talking heads discussing the deliberate lack of effort from many Capitals. And I've got a few theories about this:

The core group wishes to be rid of George McPhee.

Now, I've suggested a playing remedy: we go back to Hunter's defenceice scheme.

BUT... what if that scheme is a part of Oate's system, and the core group simply, does NOT want to play it? That might explain why AO is out there on the PK, when in the past, he's shunned that role. Alex isn't out there because HE wants to be.... he's out there on orders from the Oates. And.... he doesn't like it.

Too, I'd wager that AO is not happy with Semin's departure, and blames George. If so, I'll second it: I'm angry in that we obtained NOTHING for an asset like this.

I've wondered how #19 fit into this... and I've rejected the notion that he's not showing up. I think Nick is a true pro, and is limited only in that he was playing on AO's line, and that there may be lingering problems with his neck and back.

But our captain's issues cannot go unnoticed by the core and a blind eye turned to it. I suspect that some of the poor D we're seeing is in solidarity with AO. The entire immediate issue may be an issue headed by only 3-5 players... enough, given who the leader is.

Conversely (and maybe in rationalization), perhaps AO and others are angry with the decision to go with 2 young goaltenders, alone. Added to this, is the removal of Semin, the replacement with lower level help (Ribero, Wolski), and the blind eye toward D, and you've got your some motivation.

It's not a huge leap to see how AO might see George ignoring the need for a few (2, IMO) top 6 Dmen, and seeing his placement out on the PK as an abomination... placing him at a greater and unnecessary risk of career-threatening injury, with George being either cheap, or too foolish and stubborn to remedy the situation properly.

And... this may not be happening only behind the scenes. The players in question may have made their views openly to Oates and McPhee... hence the reason Oates went right to his "not showing up" declaration: he knows he's not the main target.

I'll be listening to the talking head comments tonight. Unlike many, I think we'll see a 100% effort tonight, and possibly, a win.

The problem will remain, but you push even a poodle into a corner, and it'll fight like a rotweiler.

But at the end of the day.... you've still got only a poodle.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
All is say for now is this. Better now than later in the season. Yeah, its only 48 games...but better this **** is going on now than towards the end.
Strung,

Glad you feel that way, but don't you and Warden have a candle or 2 to light on your BB shrine?

J/K

Old
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Strung,

Glad you feel that way, but don't you and Warden have a candle or 2 to light on your BB shrine?

J/K
Oh, they are already lit and burning bright.

I dont view this team the same since he was let go...doubt I ever will really.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

People continue to rip BB but never give the guy any ****ing credit.

The guy's team is averaging as many goals per game than we have in 3 ****ing games combined.

Oh and they win.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Oh, they are already lit and burning bright.

I dont view this team the same since he was let go...doubt I ever will really.
I understand.

And who knows, BB may have lobbied McPhee for an elite stay at home(or 2) to stay back and cover better, and his pleas were ignored?

The addition of one or two Tinordi types... and BB is still the coach?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Hmmmmm......

As I'm the only only poster left from the original Cap's message board in the 90's, 'Talk Central', I guess it's up to me to carry the water, so to speak, for the others who have been driven away, just lost interest, or have passed on in some way. This is not a slight at the current membership, but had any of you been members of that board, or the ESPN board that followed it, I'm quite sure that most here would be thrilled to read and participate with those originals. It sure was eye-opening, and a ton of fun.

I gave it a lot of thought last night as to what's wrong. I read the views here. Talked it over with the Missus (another of the original members), and I believe the tack I'll lay out is correct.

Of all of the comments that have been made about the issues with the team, the media's (and Oate's) proclamation that players "are not showing up" is the smoking gun, here.

It's the clue, we've got to address.

And before the reader dismisses this, consider: these media folk have access that even the most dedicated fan does not. They're privy to the behind the scenes banter we just don't have.

This type of access too, comes with many stated and unstated rules... namely, you do not make definitive statements about player effort... with the exception being in very rare cases. And even then, many reporters/commentators will still refrain from these type of offerings.

And yet, a mere 3 games in, I've heard several talking heads discussing the deliberate lack of effort from many Capitals. And I've got a few theories about this:

The core group wishes to be rid of George McPhee.

Now, I've suggested a playing remedy: we go back to Hunter's defenceice scheme.

BUT... what if that scheme is a part of Oate's system, and the core group simply, does NOT want to play it? That might explain why AO is out there on the PK, when in the past, he's shunned that role. Alex isn't out there because HE wants to be.... he's out there on orders from the Oates. And.... he doesn't like it.

Too, I'd wager that AO is not happy with Semin's departure, and blames George. If so, I'll second it: I'm angry in that we obtained NOTHING for an asset like this.

I've wondered how #19 fit into this... and I've rejected the notion that he's not showing up. I think Nick is a true pro, and is limited only in that he was playing on AO's line, and that there may be lingering problems with his neck and back.

But our captain's issues cannot go unnoticed by the core and a blind eye turned to it. I suspect that some of the poor D we're seeing is in solidarity with AO. The entire immediate issue may be an issue headed by only 3-5 players... enough, given who the leader is.

Conversely (and maybe in rationalization), perhaps AO and others are angry with the decision to go with 2 young goaltenders, alone. Added to this, is the removal of Semin, the replacement with lower level help (Ribero, Wolski), and the blind eye toward D, and you've got your some motivation.

It's not a huge leap to see how AO might see George ignoring the need for a few (2, IMO) top 6 Dmen, and seeing his placement out on the PK as an abomination... placing him at a greater and unnecessary risk of career-threatening injury, with George being either cheap, or too foolish and stubborn to remedy the situation properly.

And... this may not be happening only behind the scenes. The players in question may have made their views openly to Oates and McPhee... hence the reason Oates went right to his "not showing up" declaration: he knows he's not the main target.

I'll be listening to the talking head comments tonight. Unlike many, I think we'll see a 100% effort tonight, and possibly, a win.

The problem will remain, but you push even a poodle into a corner, and it'll fight like a rotweiler.

But at the end of the day.... you've still got only a poodle.
I think you might be on to something here. OV is still a young guy, and physically, should be in his prime. I have very little doubt that he can still be a 100-point guy, but something is happening behind the scenes/between his ears, so to speak. I am onboard with getting rid of McPhee at this point, as I suspect that alone would pick up the team's play.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Oh yay, we're officially dead last in the NHL right now.
Can't get any worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88cIzNmnZvI

(mod feel free to embed for me. I've given up trying thx)

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
I think you might be on to something here. OV is still a young guy, and physically, should be in his prime. I have very little doubt that he can still be a 100-point guy, but something is happening behind the scenes/between his ears, so to speak. I am onboard with getting rid of McPhee at this point, as I suspect that alone would pick up the team's play.
Well,

If I am on to something, or not... there's an old adage we had in the electronic servicing business:

Stick to the area of the problem. The customer's color isn't working... don't be looking in the vertical circuit for the problem. ETC.

Same thing here. The talking heads are all saying this... let's uncover who is deliberately under-performing. This is the root issue.