HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders bars in Manhattan?

Old
01-24-2013, 06:08 PM
GutchBoring13

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GutchBoring13
Islanders bars in Manhattan?

So I go to grad school in New York, and the campus cable system doesn't carry MSG+. Usually, I can find a stream online to watch the games, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a bar where I can watch Islanders games (and preferably, with a number of Islander fans). Any ideas?

GutchBoring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I'm signing a lease for an apartment in Astoria next week... I hope someone knows of some. I'm sure once they move to Brooklyn a bar or two will pop up thats really Islanders territory.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I'm signing a lease for an apartment in Astoria next week... I hope someone knows of some. I'm sure once they move to Brooklyn a bar or two will pop up thats really Islanders territory.
I used to live in Astoria. Nice place to live but the rent there has gotten crazy expensive. As far a bars go there are no real bars that is Islander country. There used to be during the glory day but that bar is long gone. Sucks that they still don't have Fios in Astoria. My parents still live there so thats how i know.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
jdr016

Is there even an Islanders bar on Long Island? Lol

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Isles Junkie

You will not find an Islanders bar in NYC. and like jdr said, you won't really find many on LI either.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Metrostars

"if you build it, they will come"... a lot of isles ex-pats in the city... pick a game for a meet-up, and im sure we can get a few bodies down to create an isles bar somewhere in nyc

Metrostars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Bexlyspeed

in Astoria there is Mcanns, on dithers blvd and 36th street, its not an islanders bar but they have so many screens they will turn one on for the islanders if you ask

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Islesfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
in Astoria there is Mcanns, on dithers blvd and 36th street, its not an islanders bar but they have so many screens they will turn one on for the islanders if you ask
It's Ditmars blvd not dithers.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
It's Ditmars blvd not dithers.
sorry i was speaking 'hood

Old
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Bones45

Crawl before walking--- try and find a hockey bar first. That is a big enough challenge.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Sweet, thats one subway stop down from where I'll be.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Strummergas

I've been thinking about trying to organize a meet-up for Isles fans in the city at this bar in Williamsburg that I know. It's not a Islanders bar or even a sports bar per se, but they do have TV's that always have sports on and the bartenders will put anything on you ask them for. Would anyone be interested in the near future? If the response is good enough, maybe we can make it a monthly thing.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I've been thinking about trying to organize a meet-up for Isles fans in the city at this bar in Williamsburg that I know. It's not a Islanders bar or even a sports bar per se, but they do have TV's that always have sports on and the bartenders will put anything on you ask them for. Would anyone be interested in the near future? If the response is good enough, maybe we can make it a monthly thing.
round 2? las time it was only me and you that showed up ahhaa.....still a good time though....id be down to meet up with ppl

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Mavericknyc1980

Quote:
What about 4th down in Williamsburg. A great sports bar. Lots of TV's

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Bexlyspeed

Williamsburg? too many hipsters for my liking

Old
01-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
While Williamsburg sounds fine (request: east of Bedford, for all that is holy), wouldn't it be more fitting to find a place in Prospect Heights or up in the North Slope i.e. our future home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed
You care who you're seen with?

Even if it's somewhere else, a couple of us might just wear retro graphic tees and horn-rimmed glasses just to piss you off. [That said, anyone who wears a fedora in this weather is dumber than Dion Phaneuf.]

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
round 2? las time it was only me and you that showed up ahhaa.....still a good time though....id be down to meet up with ppl
Hahaha that's true, and I never told you what happened later on that night! Long story short, I was in a cast for a month!

Old
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post
What about 4th down in Williamsburg. A great sports bar. Lots of TV's
I don't think I know that joint. Where is it?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Trust me, this place is pretty much hipster-free. That's why I like it so much; just normal people going in for some drinks and some fun.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Metnut

We should find a bar near the Barclays Center and start claiming it as our own in advance of the move.

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
While Williamsburg sounds fine (request: east of Bedford, for all that is holy), wouldn't it be more fitting to find a place in Prospect Heights or up in the North Slope i.e. our future home?

Cheers,

Dan-o
That's fine too, Dan-o! I just don't know of many places in that 'hood. You got any recommendations?

Ideally, it would be great if whatever place we chose was easily accessible by subway. Redd's Tavern (the place I had in mind) is pretty much off the Lorimer L and Metropolitan G stops. I used to live a lot closer before I moved up to Greenpoint, but I still go there to meet up with friends to watch games. Here's their Yelp page:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/redds-brooklyn

Old
01-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
We should find a bar near the Barclays Center and start claiming it as our own in advance of the move.
I like this idea best. Barclays is gonna be the motherland. Let's find a place across the street or something. Once a month is cool with me.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
That's fine too, Dan-o! I just don't know of many places in that 'hood. You got any recommendations?

Ideally, it would be great if whatever place we chose was easily accessible by subway. Redd's Tavern (the place I had in mind) is pretty much off the Lorimer L and Metropolitan G stops. I used to live a lot closer before I moved up to Greenpoint, but I still go there to meet up with friends to watch games. Here's their Yelp page:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/redds-brooklyn
I also really only know places in your hood.

The obvious place would be Woodwork on Vanderbilt @ Dean. I've only been there once, though, and not to watch hockey. It's big for int'l soccer. We'd probably have to call in advance to see if we could get the game.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woodwork-brooklyn

I probably can't do school nights. I'm lame like that.

I also did a search and came up with 'Plan B'. And, yeah, I think the name is really fitting. It looks like the kind of place you don't really want to go to, and need to take a pill the next morning.

http://www.planb626.com/

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I also really only know places in your hood.

The obvious place would be Woodwork on Vanderbilt @ Dean. I've only been there once, though, and not to watch hockey. It's big for int'l soccer. We'd probably have to call in advance to see if we could get the game.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woodwork-brooklyn

I probably can't do school nights. I'm lame like that.

I also did a search and came up with 'Plan B'. And, yeah, I think the name is really fitting. It looks like the kind of place you don't really want to go to, and need to take a pill the next morning.

http://www.planb626.com/

Cheers,

Dan-o
Woodwork would be cool if they were into showing hockey. Plan B looks a bit much though. They also haven't updated their calendar since 2011, so I'm not sure what that means. There might be a couple of places on the Park Slope side of things. There's one place on 5th Ave not too far off of Flatbush that might be decent.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Beer, large televisions and food are all that's required. Closer to the Barclay center the better.